Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNSEEMLY HUM  (Read 12932 times)

Emily

Re:THE UNSEEMLY HUM
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2004, 10:35:41 AM »

Getting engaged on national television is not sweet... it's tacky and ewwy.

Eww Colin Ewww.  And what was up with his hair btw? Double ewww.

Today = sister #1's birthday.  I'm getting her a wine ice bucket because that is what she asked for.  Is it in bad taste to bring her the bucket without any wine? :)

I'm still achy from the paddling on Monday night.  Something about the cold and the tougher boat-mates made my back spaz up.  Is that how one writes "spaz"? Do spasms spas? mmmmm...

DR Jose, your review of T10C reminded me of why I didn't go see the original French version when it played here.  When the Montreal Gazette's theatre critic makes fun of a production, you know it's gotta be reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaal bad.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2004, 10:37:54 AM »

Page three dance:

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: September 22, 2004, 10:38:46 AM »

Thanks DR JMK re: Jankowski Singers.

Looking on Germany's Amazon.com there are some CDs by this group available. I might need to order them..have never ordered from one of the foreign Amazon's before, however...hard to figure out how much I am paying!

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: September 22, 2004, 10:49:54 AM »

I don't think that getting engaged on tv is tacky.  I think it depends on the couple.  If a more private proposal would have been what Christie would have wanted, then I would say do that.  But I personally thought Colin's proposal was sweet and not the least bit "ewww".

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #64 on: September 22, 2004, 11:33:29 AM »

Panni when was the last time you had an eye check and does anything need to be done about the scar tissue?

HAPPY BIRTHDAY mrkdl73 (31) :D

Hi Kerry, nice to have you back.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: September 22, 2004, 11:38:37 AM »

Well, dear people, I've made a decision and acted on it. I'm going to leave the home environment in a big way for two whole whole weeks at the end of October. I'm going to Budapest and Rome! I was invited a while back to take part in and speak at a media conference in Rome -- which I sort of put into the back of my head. But I haven't visited the old hometown for many years and DD really would love it if I could visit and she could show me around (how strange!). So I decided this morning that if I could get a good price, I'd book it and go. The price isn't too bad and to go from Budapest to Rome is cheap. It won't cost me anything to stay in BP (DD has a guest bed) and I've been told that my expenses in Rome might be covered. So - it's done. I'm booked.
BTW - part of the conference in Rome is a tour of Cinecitta!

Panni

« Reply #66 on: September 22, 2004, 11:42:26 AM »

Panni when was the last time you had an eye check and does anything need to be done about the scar tissue?

I had my eye checked about a year and a half ago. This deterioration happened FAST. I've had a stressful 18 months - so that probably contributed.
Nothing needs to be done about the scar tissue. I'll just forget about it.
I'll get to wear my cool new glasses in Europe!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 11:43:05 AM by Panni »

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: September 22, 2004, 11:44:47 AM »

DRs Jennifer, Stuart, and RLP,

Did you see the next line-up of contestants for the next Amazing Race (which starts very soon)? Should be an interesting group!

Jane

« Reply #68 on: September 22, 2004, 11:44:52 AM »

Beckon, I love it-“Sounds like it could be a camp classic”   ;D

MBarnum you must be very proud of Jeff.  

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: September 22, 2004, 11:58:48 AM »

DRs Jennifer, Stuart, and RLP,

Did you see the next line-up of contestants for the next Amazing Race (which starts very soon)? Should be an interesting group!

No I didn't, but I will check out cbs.com now.

Does it start oct 2nd?

Btw, did you read my spoiler free comments about the Early Show.  If not, read them. Something VERY big happened.

Jane

« Reply #70 on: September 22, 2004, 12:02:56 PM »

Panni have a great trip and enjoy the sights with your new, improved vision. Maybe you can take DD to Prague.

Panni

« Reply #71 on: September 22, 2004, 12:08:13 PM »

The Prague photo is gorgeous. But I think Budapest and Rome will be enough for this trip, Jane.  

Jane

« Reply #72 on: September 22, 2004, 12:08:37 PM »

Another view.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2004, 12:09:11 PM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #73 on: September 22, 2004, 12:10:23 PM »

I must pick Bogie up from the vet now.  Today we get new carpeting and the cat had an enema.  I sure hope the new carpeting is safe.

Panni

« Reply #74 on: September 22, 2004, 12:13:54 PM »

Just read that Russ Meyer has died.

Jennifer

« Reply #75 on: September 22, 2004, 12:31:35 PM »

Oh no, it looks like Amazing Race 6 will be delayed to end of oct/early nov.

http://www.realitytvworld.com/index/articles/story.php?s=2887

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #76 on: September 22, 2004, 12:31:40 PM »

I went to see Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow yesterday evening, Dear Readers.  This is the film that was shot almost entirely in front of blue screens, with computer generated imagery used to fill in the frame around the actors.

I would say the success of the technical wizardry makes this film worth seeing.  The "look" of the film is some blend and/or variety of old newsreels, sepia-toned silent film and, in the case of the actors, hand-colored black and white photos.  Film noir and action/adventure serials of the 'thirties and 'forties are evoked as well.  Some of the shots are downright breathtaking.

Beyond sets and atmosphere, CGI is used to create monster-machines that terrorize Earth and, in particular, our protagonists, played by Mr. Jude Law and Miss Gwyneth Paltrow.

The story of SCatWoT is rather conventional.  Guy and girl who constantly bicker but are madly in love with each other chase down a mad scientist determined to destroy the world.  In this case, the guy is a dashing aerialist and the gal a smart-talking journalist.

I should mention that the mad scientist is played, if that is the proper word, by Sir Lawrence Olivier.  That is not a typo.  The magicians behind this film pieced together a performance by the late actor.  He even gets a billing in the credits after the movie.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #77 on: September 22, 2004, 12:47:56 PM »

Emily, I think you should fill the ice bucket with bottles of Cherry Coke. (You knew I was going to say that, didn't you?)

I didn't get a Cherry Coke this morning, and now I wish I had. (Feel free to use that as a song title, Noel or anybody else.)
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #78 on: September 22, 2004, 12:54:45 PM »

There's some rock band outside making noise and I can hear it all the way down here in the library basement. It is unseemly and somewhat louder than a hum.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: September 22, 2004, 01:16:46 PM »

I don't much like the practice, but I suppose if it's fun for them and they wish to do it, then it's fine.  The key thing, however, is that the original version should always be included and available, which is sadly not the case with the Star Wars films and with Close Encounters (which has never been as good as it was on its initial release).

Thank you, thank you, thank you, BK; I thought I was the only person who felt that way.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #80 on: September 22, 2004, 01:19:31 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]! ! ! ! !  HAPPY BIRTHDAY DR MRKDL73  ! ! ! ! ![/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: September 22, 2004, 01:21:24 PM »

Panni have a great trip and enjoy the sights with your new, improved vision. Maybe you can take DD to Prague.

I'm betting that DR Panni is going to make a B-line for the Marzipan Museum.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: September 22, 2004, 01:43:06 PM »

My heart goes out to all the relatives and friends who are currently occupied in Iraq. I am fearful for all Americans over there as I think it's far, far worse than we've been told and not a place I think our folks are safe at all.

I wish them all good fortune.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: September 22, 2004, 01:47:04 PM »

I read about Russ Meyer's death in VARIETY this morning. Since the only one of his films I ever saw was BEYOND THE VALLEY OF THE DOLLS (and unlike MBarnum and some others, didn't like it), I'm sorry for his family but have no personal feelings about him one way or the other.

Matt H.

« Reply #84 on: September 22, 2004, 01:48:11 PM »

I was walking around World Market this afternoon after I finished helping my friend load his moving pod, and thought of Panni when I got to the marzipan section.

Jennifer

« Reply #85 on: September 22, 2004, 01:52:07 PM »

If anyone has a link for the new Amazing Race (6) players can you please post it.  DR MBarnum did you see them on tv or online?

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: September 22, 2004, 01:54:33 PM »

How many are too many Krispy Kremes to eat?  Someone brought me another free box.  And so far today I've eaten 4.  :)

Oh well this will be a good ending, since I start watching my weight/exercising on Monday.

Btw, does anybody else microwave them for a few seconds before eating them?  I will not eat a cold Krispy Kreme!

Jennifer

« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2004, 01:57:40 PM »

Btw, for those who are interested the new ABC series LOST starts tonight.  I will definitely either tape or watch it.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2004, 01:58:48 PM »

If anyone has a link for the new Amazing Race (6) players can you please post it.  DR MBarnum did you see them on tv or online?

One thing I forgot to mention in my non-spoiler post earlier (and this is also a non-spoiler) was the lovely, ethereal "cinematography" that was used each and every time either Brandon or Nicole uttered the words Jesus, Lord, G-d, Heaven, etc. on last night's episode.

The first time they did it, I laughed, but by the time the last one rolled around, I was practically on the floor in hysterics.  It was very very funny.  To me, at least.

I am sure that by the time the race was over the camera operator assigned to that team must have had it with their (Brandon & Nic's) religiosity.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2004, 01:59:17 PM »

I'll be watching LOST for sure even though the local TV critic did not like it. I was surprised because many national TV critics have given it very strong reviews.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up