Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: EFFERVESCENT AND EBULLIENT  (Read 15550 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:EFFERVESCENT AND EBULLIENT
« Reply #60 on: October 06, 2004, 12:11:01 PM »

Mr. Marsden was also in THE NOTEBOOK. He played the very understanding fiance. He was quite nice looking in a kind of all-American way, as I recall (not my type - but hey).

Panni

« Reply #61 on: October 06, 2004, 12:11:27 PM »

And one for Buddy Mahler!

Panni

« Reply #62 on: October 06, 2004, 12:13:39 PM »

(I have no idea why I said that. But if my last name were Mahler and I had a son - or a dog - "Buddy" would be the perfect name for him. "Mimsy" for a daughter or a cat. Not that I'd get a cat. On the other hand, if I were Anna Mahler I wouldn't be who I am, and therefore might WANT a cat.)

Jennifer

« Reply #63 on: October 06, 2004, 12:19:23 PM »

Does anyone know how long to cook salmon steaks for?  In the oven?  Outside on the BBQ/grill?  If I did it outside would I have to put it in foil, or is the steak thick enough that I could do it directly on the grill?

I'm thinking I will probably do it inside, because I want to do ribs on the BBQ tomorrow, and I'm not sure how much gas is left in my BBQ.

Or I could poach them in the microwave.

I'm just not sure how long I'd put them for in the oven.  Usually I cook fish for like 20 minutes in the oven at around 375.  And outside i do it for 15.

I'm trying to find cooking times on allrecipes right now.

Panni

« Reply #64 on: October 06, 2004, 12:19:37 PM »

I'm off to the bank to yell at them because a deposit I made two days ago has "disappeared." They know I made the deposit - they have all the records - but it is physically MISSING. Scary thought, eh? One would think that they'd simply say, "Gee. Our mistake. We'll put the money in your account because the reason you use a bank instead of your mattress is that it's SAFE."
But guess what? They didn't say that. They said (on the phone) that they'd have to "research" the matter, which may take around 5 days. 5 days of the money missing in action. Well - that ain't gonna happen. Because if they give me any grief about this, I'm going to walk over to as many customers as I can and tell them not to think that just because they deposit their money and get a receipt, it actually will show up in their account.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 12:22:25 PM by Panni »

Emily

« Reply #65 on: October 06, 2004, 12:22:54 PM »

DR Emily, did your friend find her dog?

Yep!  The dog was found outside the St. Laurent city hall by some staff members there.  They phoned the number on her tag and the rest is history...

The dog may have been stupid to jump out of the car like she did, but at least she was smart enough to gravitate towards the powerful! :P
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #66 on: October 06, 2004, 12:27:07 PM »

Jennifer, the Canadian Fisheries Dept. (yes our tax money at work) recommends as a general rule that you cook fish for 10 minutes per side per inch of thickness.

So your 20 minute fish must be an inch thick! :)

It shouldn't make any difference from the over to the grill because fish in the oven is still cooked on quite a high heat - similar to what it would receive from being grilled.

Always remember to remove fish from the cooking process when it still looks a little underdone...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: October 06, 2004, 12:34:13 PM »

Thanks DR Emily.  But my BBQ is at 600F and my oven is only 375F!

I can't imagine the steaks are an inch thick. Probably less.

And wow, that is amazing that the dog was found.  Although that is really good that it had the phone number on the tag.  I forgot about that option.

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: October 06, 2004, 12:40:20 PM »

I meant to comment on last week's LOST.

I didn't really care for the first episode.  It seemed like some sort of creature was chasing them.  And that sort of thing isn't really my cup of tea.

But they really turned things around in episode 2.

I loved how Kate turned out to be the one that had been in handcuffs.  That was great especially since she was so sweet and helpful in Ep 1.

And then finding out that it wasn't some creature, but a polar bear (although how could it run that fast??) worked better for me.

I'm curious to see episode 3 tonight.

Oh and I cannot wait to get my tape of tonight's Taye Diggs' show, KENNY HILL.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #69 on: October 06, 2004, 12:50:39 PM »

I don't think I have mentioned it, but "Broadway:The Golden Age" is in town this week.  Given the number of shows I ahve had at school in the past 10 days, it's the last thing i want to do, but tonight is the only night the Dear Partner (John) and I can go together.

Despite my fatigue, I am quite excited.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #70 on: October 06, 2004, 12:51:08 PM »

I hope Val Kilmer remembered he doesn't have to get down to the Kodak for a matinee of The Ten Commandments today.

Wonder how many oblivious people with tickets will show up?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: October 06, 2004, 01:01:01 PM »

I don't think I have mentioned it, but "Broadway:The Golden Age" is in town this week.  Given the number of shows I ahve had at school in the past 10 days, it's the last thing i want to do, but tonight is the only night the Dear Partner (John) and I can go together.

DRStuart, I missed it because it was playing while I was at Goodspeed, but I hear it's wonderful, and I hope there's a DVD release.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2004, 01:01:40 PM »

Wonder how many oblivious people with tickets will show up?

Both of them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #73 on: October 06, 2004, 01:05:49 PM »

Both of them.

I assume you mean that's the number of people with tickets to The XCs, not the number of oblivious people in the world.  I would peg that number as much , much higher.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: October 06, 2004, 01:42:32 PM »

ALADDIN's new soundtrack wasn't as revelatory as the reworked one for THE LION KING, and I didn't take the time to switch over to Dolby DIgital 5.1 to make comparisons. The sound was very, very powerful with lots of deep bass rattling the subwoofer.

As far as image, well, the screen is awash in deeply saturated primary colors, and there's nary a blemish or speck to be seen. Absolutely perfect picture. Didn't take the time to watch any of the special features on the second disc. Those will have to wait for another day. On to the next disc, whatever that may be.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #75 on: October 06, 2004, 01:42:37 PM »

Where is everybody?

Oh, Barrymores....

Then I must be getting there now.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: October 06, 2004, 01:43:37 PM »

A young actor named James Marsden who I don't really know.  I think he's in the X Men films.  Haven't met him yet but will in the next couple of weeks.  He and his wife and child moved to a bigger home.

Holy Moley!  James Marsden is your landlord?  That's AWESOME!

Marsden has portrayed "Cyclops" in the X-Men films.  He was also featured on the final season of Ally McBeal...and BK -- he has a MAGNIFICENT SINGING VOICE.  He is a wonder.

The problem is, he's too darned good looking for his own good!

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: October 06, 2004, 01:47:07 PM »

WEL mentioned that the THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT trilogy comes out on DVD next week and so does DAMN YANKEES and the new special edition of SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS. Also, the PBS miniseries - BROADWAY - THE MUSICAL THEATER narrated by Julie Andrews also comes out on DVD next week (I assume it's premiering on PBS next week or the week after, too.) I went ahead and preordered all of these DVDs.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #78 on: October 06, 2004, 01:47:25 PM »

LOL...both of them...LOL

Well....I have found a fact and I want to share it with the DR's here at HHW.  Of course, I may be the last one to know but:

John Megna - who played Dill in "To Kill a Mockingbird" was the brother of Connie (Cricket Blake) Stevens.

Matt H.

« Reply #79 on: October 06, 2004, 01:48:20 PM »

He (James Marsden) was very effective in X-MEN 2. I couldn't stand ALLY McBEAL so I never saw him on the show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: October 06, 2004, 01:49:48 PM »

LOL...both of them...LOL

Well....I have found a fact and I want to share it with the DR's here at HHW.  Of course, I may be the last one to know but:

John Megna - who played Dill in "To Kill a Mockingbird" was the brother of Connie (Cricket Blake) Stevens.

Yep.  I learned that back in 1963 when I was reading everything I could about the movie.

Sadly, he died of AIDS complications in 1995.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2004, 01:51:20 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Matt H.

« Reply #81 on: October 06, 2004, 01:51:02 PM »

Yes, I'm very much looking forward to LOST tonight. The second half of the pilot provided so many surprises and set-ups for future episodes, and I can't wait to see where the writers take all these stories.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #82 on: October 06, 2004, 01:53:24 PM »

The DVD Release of "Broadway: The Golden Age" is set for November 9.  It will contain 90 minutes of extras including a 35 minute preview of "Broadway: The Next Generation" (I think that's the name) which will now be a second film released next year.  Originally it was to a part of the first film; then it was to be included on the DVD but now it will be a separate film.

If you still want to see it in a theatre, it is being shown later this month in NY as part of the Tribecca Theatre Festival.  Check out the ad in today's Times.

Regarding cooking Salmon... often a salmon filet is very thick on one end and much thinner on the other.  For best results, cut off the thin end.  Start broiling the thick ends for about 8 to 10 minutes each side; add the thin ends when you turn the thick ones and turn the thin ends about halfway through.  If you cook the whole filet at once, either the thick end will be done perfect and the thin end will be overdone or else the thick end won't be quite done while the thin end is perfect.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #83 on: October 06, 2004, 02:28:24 PM »

Good Evening!

-Practice does seem to be making perfect.. Whew!  -There are still a few licks that are giving me trouble, but I have all day tomorrow and Friday to work them out.  -Or at least find a way to fake them.  ;)  -But I know I can't fake them, so...  Practice, practice, practice.   When I audit the show tonight, I'll see what the keyboard player does in those sections.  There is one section that just seem physically impossible to play.  At least to me.  At this time.  We shall see.

RE: James Marsden.  Hmmm... Any chance you get a pic of him in the pool?  ;)

RE: Salmon - As DR WEL mentioned the tapered nature of the filets can pose a problem.  However, I've found the easy fix is just to fold the "skinny" end under itself.  Secure with a toothpick if necessary.  Otherwise, if you're just baking or broiling it, it should stay in place on its own.

Well, that's all I can think of to post right now... I'm gonna get a few more minutes of practice in here now, and then head to the theatre.  -And I even dug out one of my winter jackets - it's already down in the 50s right now, and by the time I get out of the show, it's supposed to be down in the 40s.  Brrr... *That Fahrenheit, of course. ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #84 on: October 06, 2004, 03:16:30 PM »

I've triumphed over the Forces of Commerce. The money is now in the account. Some of the credit must go to bk (not ALL- but some) - whom I channeled when I said things like the following:
PANNI: I'd like to speak to X. [the person with whom I was dealing on the phone]
BANK OFFICER: Do you have an appointment?
PANNI: No. [I had called X to tell her I was coming in, but she did not return my call. Skammen on her.]
BANK OFFICER: She's not here right now.
PANNI (channeling bk): Well, I AM, so I'll have to speak to someone higher up.
                                 OR
BANK OFFICER: I just spoke to X [who seemed magically to be there after all] and she explained the situation. [The Bank Officer then went on to explain, as X had on the phone, why they would have to "research" the matter for five days.]
PANNI(channeling bk): That is NOT ACCEPTABLE!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: October 06, 2004, 04:01:18 PM »

Very good DRPANNI!  Congratulations on your victory.  I would say that is one for the little people.

Jennifer

« Reply #86 on: October 06, 2004, 04:04:59 PM »

DR Panni please continue the rest of the story.

I am curious about something you said.  You mentioned that the bank "knew" that you had deposited the check?  Had you gone to a teller?  My bank is rarely open, so I always use the bank machine.  

I really want to know how you convinced them.

And speaking of prevailing, I got my check for $25 from canada post today (only a week after I was told they would send it for overcharging me!).

Danise

« Reply #87 on: October 06, 2004, 05:17:23 PM »

Evening all!

I’m sorry if I missed the post about Tom seeing Woman in White.  Gasp!  Horrors!  Tom didn’t like it?  He left at intermission?  Say it isn’t so!  Now I’m even more curious about it—I would like to know his reason(s).  The music?  The plot?  

What a shame to travel so far to only be disappointed.  I know he wanted to see Mr. C.

Well, to be very honest, I saw the pictures on Broadway World of Mr. C and I didn’t really like what I saw.  I wanted to be positive about it but now I’m kinda glad I didn’t/couldn’t go to London to see the play.

I spoke very briefly with DR Jane today.  About a whole minute, I think.  I don’t know her exact schedule so I didn’t know she was going to see “Wicked” today.  I caught her about 10 minutes before the show started.  

I do so hope that she enjoyed it as much I did.  I also hope that everyone going to Joe Allen’s have a wonderful time.  I am so looking forward to pictures/posts telling the tale of the nights festivities.

I’m enjoying “Lost” as well.  I’m a little mad because I missed the first episode and they were supposed to repeat it on Saturday night.  Well, they had a darn FOOTBALL game instead.  

I also have tons of DVDs that I have bought (are still in the wrapper) and have yet to watch any of them.  In fact, most the DVD’s I’ve told you I’ve bought over the past few months are still sitting in their wrappers.  I just don’t have the time to watch them.

Good for you, Panni.  Don't let that bank get the better of you.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #88 on: October 06, 2004, 05:34:30 PM »

Danise, it must a very common habit.  I also buy DVDs and never watch them.  AND I have this annoying (to me) habit of taping things from TV and then I never watch them.  I have about 20 video tapes that have various shows on each just waiting for me to sit down and view them.  Of course, I always say, "I have nothing to do this weekend so I'll watch them then."  And when the weekend comes around (just about EVERY weekend), I have something else to do and the pile of tapes just keeps increasing.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #89 on: October 06, 2004, 05:34:43 PM »

What's a TV addict to do??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up