Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: FRUIT  (Read 18246 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:FRUIT
« Reply #30 on: October 16, 2004, 01:12:58 PM »

Abie passed his audition (he sang "What I Dig for Love" and "The Doggies Who Lunch") and has been accepted at the Kennel.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #31 on: October 16, 2004, 01:13:13 PM »

And one for Mahler...just because!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #32 on: October 16, 2004, 01:14:33 PM »

Now I must clean up the joint. My landlady tells me that someone is coming to look at place in hopes of renting it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2004, 01:24:31 PM »

BK, why do you go to Tower Records in West Hollywood?  Given your location isn't Tower Records in Glendale closer and more easily accessible?  And right up the street is our favourite bookstore, BOOKFELLOWS...one-stop shopping.
I think I can answer that, based on what I remember of the Tower location in Glendale before I moved east.

Tower Records in Glendale was part of an experiment, teaming it with The Good Guys Electronics.  They had at least two locations, in Glendale and Long Beach, where they were housed under one roof with the name WOW!

The problem was that Good Guys was having severe problems not too long before we moved.  In both locations, the selection of electronic goods was gutted, nearly empty.

I don't know if Good Guys has folded yet or not, but the situation was sticking Tower with some prime real estate and only half the store filled with their goods (again, both locations).  Hopefully, Tower has been able to absorb the Good Guys half of the Glendale operation, in order to swing things around.  The Long Beach location, on the other hand, was so huge that I can't see it as being viable any longer.

In any case, the West Hollywood Tower was always more idea of what Tower Records should be, a veritable warehouse of music and more.  As I recall, they've got more than the one store there now, having spread across the street for some of the departments.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2004, 01:35:09 PM »

Elmore - Did you know you are mentioned in a footnote in Ethan Mordeen's new book THE HAPPIEST CORPSE I'VE EVER SEEN?  Strange book... half I agree with totally and half I think is a lot of bullcrap.  Also, he doesn't make it easy to read with all the unusual long words he uses.

DRWEL, didn't you read my bitching about his inaccuracies on Oct 10, post #47.  For a person working with New Amsterdam Theatre Company, his memory sucks and his facts about JUBILEE are half-assed and incorrect.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2004, 01:36:05 PM »

Thirty-three posts at one-thirty?  Brother.  

I go to Tower in West H for only one reason - they get imports that the other stores don't get.  

Now, let's get some postin' goin' on, shall we?

Saw the cut of Act One - very well done, but lots of wrong "takes" used, even though I sent over specific notes about most of it.  Hopefully, this editor chap will be willing to sit with me and fix it, otherwise I'll just use his rough version of the Friday show, intercut with the three numbers I want from the Saturday show.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #36 on: October 16, 2004, 01:39:53 PM »

Fruit?  I like lots of fruit!  Much of what has already been mentioned.  Except for mellons.  I like watermellon, but not honeydew or cantaloupe.  I love blueberries (mainly when cooked in desserts, especially pie) and cherries and bananas and oranges and grapefruit and etc., etc., etc. (a King and I reference).

I was planning on going to work at 11:00 this morning.  It's after 1:30 p.m. and I'm not there yet.  So, I'm leaving now to go to work.  I'll be able to check back in after ushering tonight, but will be gone most of the day tomorrow, so I won't be at chat.

Heigh ho, heigh ho.
It's off to work I go
With hand grenades and razer blades,
Heigh ho, heigh ho.

I actually learned this with the line "It's off to school I go," but I'm not going to school. ::) And no, I'm not bringing said grenades or blades to work.  But off, I go!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #37 on: October 16, 2004, 01:40:29 PM »

Elmore I just received the beautiful post card.   :D Thanks for forwarding it.  

Shall I send it back to you?  

Jane

« Reply #38 on: October 16, 2004, 01:42:37 PM »

Panni sorry you didn’t find anything at the sale, but more important I’m so happy you had fun in the new neighborhood. :D

Congratulations to Abie, not that I doubted for a moment he wouldn’t pass.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: October 16, 2004, 01:45:42 PM »

In close-but-not-close-enough timing, my copy of David Rosengarten's It's All American Food arrived in the mail today.  If it had arrived a few days earlier, we could have included his comments in the discussion Charles Pogue and I were having about Cincinnati Five-Way Chili:

The dish was invented in 1922 by a northern Greek immigrant who wanted to bring all kinds of Old Country spices into chili.  Then he decided to layer his creations - with the approval of the customer, of course - with a series of cumulative options.  One-way chili is the spiced chili alone; two-way chili is the chili on top of spaghetti; in three-way chili, cheese is added; four-way chili introduces chopped raw onions; and the famous five-way chili puts beans on top of it all.

So what are the spices?  Rosengarten lists the mix as: 1 T chili powder, 2 t ground cumin, 2 t ground cinnamon, 1 t ground coriander, 1 t sweet paprika, 1/4 t cayenne, 1/4 t ground cloves, 1/4 t freshly grated nutmeg, and 1/4 t mustard seeds.

Set the spice mix aside.

In a large Dutch oven, over med-high heat, brown 2 pounds ground beef in 1 T canola oil, breaking the beef into small pieces with a spoon.  Add 1 finely chopped onion, 1 finely chopped garlic clove, and the spice mixture, cook for another minute.  Add 2 1/2 c tomato sauce, 1 1/2 c water, 1/2 c sweet, nonsmoky barbecue sauce  (:o), 2 T ketchup, 1 T brown sugar, 1 T red wine vinegar, 1 oz. unsweetened chocolate, and 2 bay leaves, and bring to a simmer, occasionally stirring.  Simmer uncovered for an hour, until it looks like a thick sauce.  Remove the bay leaves before serving.

Elsewhere in the book, Rosengarten also talks about New Mexican Chili Verde, Texas Chili, and Superbowl Chili.  But we can get to those later, some time.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #40 on: October 16, 2004, 01:48:14 PM »

"Fruit?"  Der B looked up from his crossword puzzle.  
"Young and willing."

The spirit of TCB lives on.   ;)

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #41 on: October 16, 2004, 01:49:19 PM »

The errant and truant Joey has returned!!!! Well for short while at least. This is the first I have gotten to sit down and just really relax and talk online in awhile.
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #42 on: October 16, 2004, 01:52:15 PM »

Enjoyed THAT'S ENTERTAINMENT today, but boy can you tell which movies have been remastered and which haven't. SOme of those black and white numbers were so grainy as to be almost unwatchable. Then, "Over the Rainbow" comes on and that sepia is so smooth and sharp that it makes you want to cry.

I found it VERY odd that they used the remastered SINGIN' IN THE RAIN clips for everything but Donald O'Connor's "Make "Em Laugh" solo which seemed to be from an older print. MEET ME IN ST. LOUIS showed up so beautifully, too.

Another carp. Warners used those rechanneled stereo tracks with the SHOW BOAT excerpts but not on their official SHOW BOAT DVD release. Huh? I knew they had them. My SHOW BOAT laserdisc is in surround stereo but the DVD is mono. Maybe we'll get a special edition SHOW BOAT one day with the alternate Ava Gardner tracks so you can choose between her vocals or her dubber Annette Warren's (like you can on the laserdisc), and maybe they'll throw in the other two versions as bonuses along with given a choice on the sound between mono and stereo.

I noticed on both TE I and III, many of the older films (like THE PIRATE) had rechanneled soundtracks where available.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #43 on: October 16, 2004, 01:54:25 PM »

I LOVE fruit! Any kind though I am partial to pineapple.

Here are those pictures I promised though I forget to who.

This one is the main house.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #44 on: October 16, 2004, 01:56:15 PM »

Here is the cottage where I live. It is about 10  or 15 feet to the right of the house.

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #45 on: October 16, 2004, 02:00:43 PM »

I hope whoever I told I would post the pictures remembers that I told them I would since I do not remember.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #46 on: October 16, 2004, 02:07:13 PM »

Joey I would have asked but someone beat me to it-can't remember who it was.  Sorry.  

I'm enjoying the photos.  You live in a nice guesthouse.   :)The roof is very pretty too.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: October 16, 2004, 02:07:34 PM »

Was it DRLaura?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: October 16, 2004, 02:08:11 PM »

More seriously, der Brucer has been known to make a danged good Cherries Jubilee.  But, since he's not sharing his recipe, we'll have to make due with the following:

In a small saucepan over very low heat, cook 3/4 c dried cherries in 1/4 c kirsch and 1 c orange juice until the cherries have begun to soften and absorb the liquid.  Remove from the heat and let stand at room temperature overnight.  In a separate bowl, soak 2 cans of pitted dark sweet cherries (drained) in 1/2 c orange flavored liqueur, again at room temperature overnight.

When ready to serve (ideally using a chafing dish or some other device so you can perform in front of your starving audience), melt 1 c currant jelly in a large saute pan over medium heat, about 3 minutes.  Add both reserved cherry mixtures, with their liquids, and 1 T grated orange zest, reduce heat low, and simmer for 5 minutes.  In a small pan, warm 1/2 c kirsch over low heat.  Pour the kirsch over the cherries and ignight with a long match.  When the flames have burned down (in the pan, not the house), spoon the cherries and sauce over vanilla ice cream in bowls and serve.

Serves eight.  This is a party dish, after all.   :D
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 02:13:27 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #49 on: October 16, 2004, 02:37:27 PM »

Let's face it, Bananas Foster is Cherries Jubilee with, um, a different shape.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2004, 02:51:31 PM »

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Apple Fritters[/move]

Peel, core, and slice into 1/2 rings 4 Granny Smith (or other firm and tart) apples; toss in a bowl with 1/2 c firmly packed brown sugar.  Spread on paper towels to dry slightly.

In a large bowl, sift 1 c flour.  Make a well in the middle, and add 1 egg yolk and 1 T vegatable oil; gently mix, slowly adding in 3/4 c milk, until the batter is smooth.  In a separate bowl, whisk 1 egg white until it forms firm peaks (you can use the same egg you got the yolk from); fold the egg white into the batter.

Heat more vegetable oil to fill a pan to 1 1/2 inches or so, to 375 degrees.  One at a time, dip the apple rings into the batter, letting the excess drip back into the bowl, then slip the rings into the oil.  Do not overcrowd.  Let the rings fry for about 4 minutes on the first side, flip them over with a slotted spoon, and let fry for another 2 minutes on the second side, to a nice, golden brown.  Transfer the rings to drain on paper towels with the slotted spoon.  Repeat with the remaining rings and batter.

Dust the warm fritters with confectioner's sugar and serve warm with maple syrup.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2004, 02:54:19 PM by S. Woody White »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2004, 02:59:08 PM »

It's very fruity here today.  Has fruit made some people we could name errant and truant?  Is fruit the cause of it?  If so, we will bitch-slap both the errant and truant and the fruit from here to eternity and hell and back.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2004, 03:31:22 PM »

I love fruit. Some of my favorites are little baby corns, avocados, peanuts, and chocolate. My least favorites are bananas, figs, and okra.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Panni

« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2004, 03:36:43 PM »

I am sort of E&T (although, frankly - and georgely - I don't think it should be necessary to explain why we are E&T - this isn't school - it's something we do because we enjoy it, not because it mandatory. Why don't we just assume that if someone isn't posting he or she has a good reason. Even if that reason is that they are not in a posting mood.) - That being said (I'm sure I'll get a tongue-lashing, but I'm a big girl, I can take it) - as I was saying, that being said, I am sort of E&T because I'm having a weird weird day, having to clear out of my home environment every half hour or so while it's being shown. I've put on music (Jobim) and made the place as inviting as possible so that it will be rented TODAY and I can go on with my life. I haven't even showered yet. I don't want to be in the shower as a would-be tenant is walking through...

Panni

« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2004, 03:44:28 PM »

I have fruit phases. I'll be heavily into some fruit for a time, then get tired of it... Right now I'm into peaches in a big way. For years my lunch was apples and cheese. I loved apples and cheese. Now I don't. Mangoes were my faves for a while; then pears... bananas... canteloupe with cottage cheese. I'm putting myself to sleep. This list is quite boring. I should slip in some naught words. There was an ad like that in Variety the other day. Tracey Ullman congratulating somebody for something - except words like "bullocks" would suddenly pop up. I'll see if I've still got it somewhere.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2004, 03:58:35 PM »

I don't want to be in the shower as a would-be tenant is walking through...
That's it, deprive your landlady of a bonus selling point.

:o 8)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #56 on: October 16, 2004, 04:03:12 PM »

Crazy day.

I feel certain I tried to post something earlier today, but it's not here.  

And I cannot, for the life of me, recall what it might have been.

It had nothing to do with fruits, despite everything.

I watched the fourth DVD of the "That's Entertainment" boxed set late last night.  "The Lion Roars Again" was very special for me, since I had a first-hand report, with photos, from a friend who was there as part of the international press corps at the "TE2" festivities.  He's even "in" the featurette.  

Have watched "TE3" today and am taking a mid-movie break from "TE2".  These films are emotionally taxing...for the sheer joy of them and for the reality of what we have lost and will never have again.  And was any talent at MGM ever misused so tragically as Lena Horne?????
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #57 on: October 16, 2004, 04:05:23 PM »

About ten years before SIDE SHOW, another musical about the Hilton Sisters (no not Paris and Nickie), TWENTY FINGERS, TWENTY TOES played a brief off-off-Broadway engagement and was never heard from again.  The York’s Mufti series uncovered this show and is presenting it this weekend.  It is hard to compare it to SIDE SHOW because it takes place earlier in the girls’ lives and is more musical comedy than serious musical play.  The two would work together in rep since both shows have their own merits.

While I enjoyed FINGERS very much, it does have its faults.  The first and second acts each have a totally different focal point.  The first act is dominated by the twins’ aunt who makes Mama Rose look nice in comparison.  She and her slick boyfriend totally exploit the twins, taking all the money they make for themselves.  The second act is dominated by a half-man/half-woman vaudeville performer who takes them under his/her wing and allows them to escape from the aunt.  The score is good, but laid out poorly.  The sisters have several songs in a row in Act 1 with little dialogue in between, and Bert/Bertha has several songs in Act 2 also practically unbroken by dialogue.

Still the York did its usual good job with this Mufti, and since there was only a cast of six, they were even able to add drums and bass to the usual piano only.  And, per usual, mikes were not used so the sound of human voices was heard throughout.  Next week: GREENWILLOW.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

François de Paris

« Reply #58 on: October 16, 2004, 04:09:52 PM »

I don't want to be in the shower as a would-be tenant is walking through...

Try it!

And then you're the one that the would-be tenant will... rent, not the place! :o :D

François de Paris

« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2004, 04:18:23 PM »

New Projects and Events for Dame Julie:

19th-20thOctober, 2004
Broadway: The American Musical (PBS-TV, 9 pm ET)

Dec. 2004
Cinderella (PBS-TV)

Summer 2005
Julie & Carol TV Special (CBS-TV)

The Boy Friend
Julie will directing "The Boy Friend"
at the Goodspeed Opera House in East Haddam
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up