Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 16860 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« on: November 08, 2004, 11:58:54 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you are dressed to the nines or, at the very least, dressed to the tens, you are ready to partay, you are ready to shake your bootay, and you are ready to post until the waltzing cows come home.  
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 12:02:04 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2004, 02:17:46 AM »

What an honor! The first to say HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!
And I bet I'll be the only one saying it from Budapest.

A great site, a wonderful group of people. Congrats to bk for being the perfect host - down to his exquisite taste in lounging pajamas. And a pat on the back to us all for being the swell gang that we are.

Now I must get going on my day and flit about like an untainted Hungarian paprika high on the Spice of Life. I must be sweet like a slice of dobos torta and tasty like a Wiener Schnitzel hanging over the plate.

CONGRATS!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 02:29:15 AM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2004, 03:16:18 AM »

I've just come back from washing my hair and realizing that - strangely enough - it's an anniversary for me personally, as well. It was exactly one year ago today, on November 9th, that I arrived back in Los Angeles to start my life all over again.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2004, 03:37:16 AM »

Dear Friend BK, Happy Anniversary to the best site on the net! :-* :o :-* :o ;D :o :-*
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2004, 03:57:03 AM »

Post No 3?  Usually, I'm around No. 10 or so.  I'm up early because I have my first session of physical therapy to work out the pinched nerve in my back that was inhibiting my walking during July and August.   I forgot to reschedule yesterday, and I don't want to lose this, so I'm going in.

DRPanni, Happy Anniversary to you!

I owe my presence on this site to that beautiful lady and singer Liz Callaway, who mentioned to me last August, while we were putting some things together for a pops symphony night, that she'd spoken to Bruce Kimmel.  Bruce and I had been out of contact since around 2001; I'd gone off to London on a project for The Packard Humanities Foundation on early American Musical Theatre and come back to find that Bruce was going through a bad patch.   I have a memory of speaking at least once to Bruce during the reign of terror, but he was in his battles on the West Coast and I was on the East Coast with my own angst.  One of the best things about 2001 was that a friend gave me his castoff Mac and I had my first computer.

After seeing Liz, I checked out the HHW site, and I sent Bruce an email about how happy I was to see him surviving and writing novels(!).  I ordered the first Kritzer book in paper from Barnes & Noble, and read it.  

Because I'm a lazy slob, I tend to do a group emailing on holidays, so when "Happy Thanksgiving" came along, I sent the email to Bruce since I now had an email address for him.  I don't think he got the mass mail of "Turn back your clock!"  I got an email back asking if I'd do an HHW Unseemly Interview, and of course I said yes.    I don't remember when it showed up in my email.  I believe it was around the first of January.  

Once the interview went up, I started lurking out of vanity, to see what comments it got.  I decided to use elmore as my monniker since it really is my initial and last name, and the 3003 was the address on Goldman Avenue where I lived most of the first 30 years of my life.  Suddenly I was hooked and I decided to jump in and post.  This year's long health crunch was made bearable by so much support and care from this site, and it's amazing how people I might never have met -particularly Jane, Danise, Panni, Penny, td, Michael Shayne, Michael Barnum, Ben, Noel, Tomovoz, Jay, Francois, DanInToronto - are people I've come to regard as close friends.  If I've missed someone, please forgive me.  I look forward to meeting Jose tomorrow, and I hope I'll continue to meet other acquaintances from this site on our treks in and out of New York.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:58:20 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2004, 04:21:53 AM »

Well, it looks as if I'm a one-man frenzy this morning.  I checked out all the postings that happened last night after I signed off, and I thought I was the only person unimpressed with 2001: A SPACE ODDITY!  I do believe that if I had to chose betwen watching it again or having my hands cut off, I'd learn to write with my feet.

GEORGY GIRL was a favorite film of mine in the 1960s, and I remember how much I liked the score.  I don't believe it's on DVD, but I'd like to see it again.
Yes DRtd, GWTW is one of my favorite films as well.  Frankly, my dear, I do give a damn.  About GWTW and HHW!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 04:22:13 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2004, 04:23:04 AM »

Good morning, DRBen!  I knew when my last post was slow to post that someone else had come on board.

Ben

« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2004, 04:37:42 AM »

Yes, I am here and glad to be (here).

Happy Anniversary to us all and especially BK.

I found this place because of my obsession with listening to internet radio while at work. I was looking for stations that played some show music and happened upon the archives of the "site that shall not be named" not knowing any of the story. I listened to all the archives (which didn't take a lot of time because I listened to more than one a day) and then started my search again. I think I looked specifically for Mr. Feltham and, lo and behold, I found HHW (the old site). I lurked for a while and my first post was on a Wednesday Ask BK day. It was about the casting of Miss Bernadette Peters in the role of Mama Rose. Oh, how time flies. I now come every day for a romp in the internet. I've met some wonderful people and hope to meet more of you.

Well, I must be off now to practice writing in the style of Mr. BK. We have a job to do and I, for one, will not shirk my duty.

P.S. Hi, Larry. Hope you're feeling better. Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll see ya tomorrow, it's only a day away!

Ben

« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 04:38:19 AM »

P.S. Thanks to Mr. Bakalor and Mr. Feltham for all the good work they do with Mr. BK!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2004, 04:42:11 AM »

Tomorrow, tomorrow, I'll see ya tomorrow, it's only a day away!

Phrasemaker!

Kerry

« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2004, 04:59:02 AM »

3 years?!?!?!?!?!? Is that possible?  Are you sure we just din't (for all you Ricky Ricardo fans) take some quantum leap into another dimension or the future?  And yet, I feel like I've known some of you for much longer than that.

Congratulstions to everyone-- but especially to Bruce, Donald, and the ever elusive (but nevertheless cute) Mr. Mark Bakalor.

You guys are all family-- how can it only be three years?  And yet, it was just yesterday, so how could three years have gone by?
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2004, 05:35:56 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @ @  HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO HHW!  @ @ @ @ @[/move]
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Emily

« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2004, 05:44:54 AM »

Happy Anniversar(ies)!!!

I have exactly thirty seconds before guilt sets in over not getting on a bus to get to school for my first class on time, so I will regale you with my HHW-reminiscenses (no time to check the spelling of THAT) sometime this afternoon.

My parents left this morning for Saint Lauderdale and a cruise of the Panama Canal... it's just me, my little sister and my grandmother for ten glorious days (GIRLS GONE WILD!!!)

Can I get some generic metal health vibes for a friend?  (THAT came out of nowhere, eh?)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William E. Lurie

« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2004, 05:59:03 AM »

Happy third anniversary.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2004, 06:30:50 AM »

Last night DR td wrote: "I believe that BK has stated that he never really liked GONE WITH THE WIND (If I'm wrong, correct me), but are there any other fans of it on this most popular of websites other than ME? ? ?"

Another one right here! I am heading out in a few minutes to pick up the new set at Target which has a lower price than anywhere else including Deep Discount.

I put the old DVDs into the player about a month ago, and they looked astounding to me. I cannot imagine how Ultra-Resolution is going to improve what looked to be a pristine picture to me. I am also excited to finally get that outstanding documentary "The Making of GONE WITH THE WIND" on DVD as part of this set. I find myself watching that documentary (taped off TCM years ago) more often than the film!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2004, 06:34:14 AM »

Happy anniversary to one and all.

Hmmmm....three years.  It seems longer.  I recall I was in my office at CAMI cruising around the internet while eating my lunch, and decided to click on the link for Sondheim.com that was posted on Broadway.com.  I read it with interest, and remember reading a column entitled "The Real A."  It seems to me that it was about this time that I continued clicking through to a site called "Haines His Way." But according to the anniversary being celebrated today, it doesn't seem possible, because I left CAMI in May of 2000.  Perhaps it was the previous incarnation of this here site.  I next worked at a job at which cruising the internet was ...well, not possible, but returned to a theatrically minded job in January of 2001, where I believe I returned to HHW, which I believe was still in its previous format.  It was at that permutation of this here site that I do recall winning a trivia contest.  The answer was Scott Jacoby.

Then came my move to Rochester, and my job search, and I knew that this most addictive site would need to wait for my reappearance until I felt more settled.  I started my job in mid-January and I see that I re-joined the human race (oooh, a HELLO, DOLLY! reference) on 16 March of this year.  The rest is history.  History?  History! (oooh, a sort of WIZARD OF OZ reference!)

I will let my brother tell you how he found this here site.  ;)

But again, hearty felicitations to all who post and lurk.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Job hunting vibes to DR JRand.
Health vibes to DR Elmore
Travel vibes to DR Jose and DR Panni.
And a mishabairach to all those who need other sorts of vibes.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 06:35:02 AM by Stuart »

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2004, 07:22:44 AM »

DR JRand - your post about the soon-to-be ex-brother-in-law made me cry.  And, to agree with you and relate it to the topic-of-the-day, I had a similar reaction to the losses in the Kritzer books.  I can't stand change, or any kind - or is it just loss?  DW Joy will recall that, a few weeks ago, I shed tears over the fact that our local copy shop had closed its doors.  It was there I met fellow musical theatre scribe Tom Jones, who used it too.  The copy store owner introduced us.  I guess the prospect of not seeing my sister's husband again is also deeply upsetting to me, I love him so much.  There have been divorcing couples where - well, I'll give an example: I was a friend of the bride, and the marriage lasted about 15 months.  I said to the husband: if you two are dividing up friends, I'm going with you.  Of course, one can't do that with sisters!

I've been breaking into tears a lot lately.

I, too, enjoyed Donald's show elsewhere.  But I can't really recall how I learned of this here site.  Probably through rec.arts.theatre.musicals (I still read ratm pretty often).  Congratulations on three years.  (Now the verse to What Did I Ever See In Him? is going through my mind.)

Tonight's Joy's opening.  4000 seats have been sold out for weeks.  Waiting list for returned tickets - several hundred.  Cast of 30+  Tap dancers, tumblers, bumblers... and a happy ending, of course.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

MBarnum

« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2004, 07:23:54 AM »

Congratulations on 3 big years! Hurray!!

I was steered towards this sight by a wonderful fella named DR JRand54. He urged me to check it out and so I finally did...and then I never left! This is the first place I come to each morning and the last place I check out before going to bed...I have met so many wonderful folks on this board...some in person and others via e-mail. It is a wonderful place to come to and I hope the next 3 (and more) years are just as fun!

MBarnum

« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2004, 07:34:24 AM »

JRand54, I am sorry to hear about your sister and brother-in-law...I do hope you stay in touch with him!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2004, 07:36:26 AM »

Last night I hied me to the Woods of Holly to have dinner at Musso & Frank's with the lovely Leelee Sobieski.  That girl can put away rolls!  I asked the waiter for more during one of Leelee's frequent trips to the ladies room.  Why is there no apostrophe in ladies room?  Sounds as if you'd open the door and there would have to be a whole bunch of ladies there.  Or a slew.  Have you ever opened a door and encountered a slew of ladies?  How about a lady of slew?  Lady of Spain, I adore you.  Does anybody have a clew as to what I'm talking about?

Anywho, said waiter made a mistake and brought me two Combination Louies?  Now, that doesn't look right.  What's the plural of Louie?  Anyway, I paid for them both and took one home because there's nothing in my refrigerator in the home environment except Diet Coke and they look like they're lonely for Louie.

I think I'll title these notes Lonely for Louies, except that plural looks like it's spelled wrong.  I informed Miss Leelee Sobielski that it's a good thing Mr. Bruce Lee died before she was born, because then she might have married him and become Leelee Lee.  She told me she doesn't care for Kung-Fu fighting, or fighting of any kind.  Damn them all.  Damn them all to hell.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Ben

« Reply #20 on: November 09, 2004, 07:37:57 AM »

Wonderful show this week, Donald. I especially enjoyed hearing the full Slaughter on Tenth Avenue. Thanks!

Ben

« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2004, 07:39:45 AM »

DR Noel, very good work. I'm still workin' away on my take.

More, we want more! All of you people out there in the dark, get to work and write like BK.

Matt H.

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2004, 08:26:40 AM »

Happy Third Anniversary to HHW.

I found out about this place on another message board. I happened to write in a post that I loved the series of compilations that Bruce had produced (UNSUNG SONDHEIM, UNSUNG MUSICALS, etc.) and mentioned how heartsick I was that he was no longer at that place-that-will-not-be-mentioned. A person responding to my message directed me here which was great because I had asked folks like Ken Mandelbaum what Bruce was doing now, and they had no answers.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2004, 08:27:14 AM »

Thanks DRNOEL and DRMBARNUM!  I appreciate your thoughts (and MR BK's yesterday).

Hmmmmmmmmm.....I came to this site courtesy of DR JMK - he had mentioned my name in a post (on the old board) concerning something about Frances Farmer (no surprise there).  And it seemed like a fun place, so I started posting, and there we are.  I have been here ALMOST every day since!

I have directed some people (in addition to MBARNUM) here, but they don't seem to get the message.  Oh well!  There are lots of wonderful people here - including MR BK and the honchos - plus so many wonderful posters that I hope to meet someday!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2004, 08:29:16 AM »

Popped into Target today and got GWTW (also FRIENDS, Season 8) and though I won't attempt to watch the whole movie today, I will slip the first disc in the player to see what it looks like. As I said last night, I can't see how this 65 year old movie could look much better than it already does on DVD, but we'll see.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2004, 08:30:50 AM »

I enjoy GWTW, oh yes I do.  What the hell am I talking about?  I'm talking about GWTW, that is WTWG backwards.  It's a motion picture with motion and some delicious performances.  Oh yes, I read the book, and the actors were so spot on in their characterizations.  What a spot was doing on their characterizations, I do not know, but there it was.

And as for 2001:An Space Odyssey - I saw it on the big screen and didn't like it.  No, I didn't like it back in the stone age of the late 1960's.  But I saw it again (in widescreen) on DVD - and I appreciate it more.  In fact, I do like it....I do, I do!  (Oh a Mary Martin reference.)

Happy Anniversary HHW!  And thanks to all the wonderful people here who make my day a little brighter and increase my knowledge on so many subjects - well....what else can I say?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2004, 08:31:14 AM »

Good vibes headed for Emily's friend.  

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2004, 08:37:52 AM »

Popped into Target today and got GWTW (also FRIENDS, Season 8) and though I won't attempt to watch the whole movie today, .

Matt, I understand that as an extra on the disc it contains some screen tests...will you report on that...I am most curious to know whose screen tests are included!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2004, 08:39:34 AM »

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2004, 08:41:32 AM »

BREAK A LEG, DR JOY!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 08:45:31 AM by JRand54 »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up