Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 16876 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2004, 09:03:09 AM »

Stuart: The HHW site debuted November 9, 2001, so you must have been reading the sondheim.com site and column a.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2004, 09:04:16 AM »

Lovely postings, all.  Where is Leelee Sobieski?  

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2004, 09:26:40 AM »

Lovely postings, all.  Where is Leelee Sobieski?  

On an offhand guess, I'd say she's filming DRCharlesPogue's Hercules miniseries.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2004, 09:31:16 AM »

BK, you may have something in your mail box today!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2004, 09:34:27 AM »

MBarnum, it came yesterday and I plum forgot to mention it.  Thanks very much, and I may even watch it later tonight.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2004, 09:46:54 AM »

I'm up early because I have my first session of physical therapy

Oh...physical therapy...yesterday it was just "therapy"...and thus ends what could have been a wonderful dialog 8)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2004, 10:13:26 AM »

My parents left this morning for Saint Lauderdale ...

The esteemed Fort thanks you for the beatification, and I thank you for giving me an excuse to post this from FNC:

A Church of England school in London has been told that a new school it is helping to build and manage cannot carry the name of a Christian saint because it might offend people of other faiths, reports the Daily Telegraph.

The scrap is over the name of a high school to be built in Islington. Local officials want to absorb the existing St. Mary Magdalene Church of England Primary School into a new City Academy, but don’t want to keep the name of the old school on the new one.

The church, which is contributing two million pounds toward the new facilities, would rather keep the existing name, which has stood since 1710.

Just think if this catches on! We'll be re-naming 25% of Canada and at least 50% of California. The St. Lawrence seaway will become "Larry's Ditch", and the San Andreas fault will become "Andy's Booboo". New York's cathedral will be"Patty's Place". I can just hear Tony crooning "I Left My Heart in Frankietown".

der Brucer (and this post gives you all a chance to play along and make this anniversay day a Frenzy - a Fabulous Frenzy, I say! A real Frantic, Fabulous, Frenzy. But do take care, we don't want a Fershluginuh Frenzy. But. then again, if you do take care, we shall be left careless, and we shall make many errors, and then the whole thread will be  fercockt.  Oh G-d! I'm goying mad!)
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 10:16:40 AM by DERBRUCER »

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2004, 10:14:33 AM »

Good vibes to DR Emily's friend. ~~~~~~~~~~~
(did you mean mental vibes? you wrote metal)

DR Jane, zinc tablets?

DR SWW, thanks for the Hot & Sour recipe. But that seems too complicated!  Instead I bought 3 servings from my Chinese take-out place (and it was only $7).

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2004, 10:17:05 AM »

;D

LOL, DR Jrand.  At first glance, I said to myself, "What is up with that woman's hair?"  After a double take I realized that she was holding a phone receiver to her head and not grasping some strange hair extension.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jennifer

« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2004, 10:17:40 AM »

Good job vibes to DR Jrand. ~~~~~~~~~~~~

And happy anniversary HHW!

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2004, 10:18:57 AM »

Does anyone know anything about Bell's palsy?  My aunt just got it, and I was wondering how long it lasts.  I've started reading the site below.  So maybe my questions will be answered there.

http://www.bellspalsy.ws/

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2004, 10:21:09 AM »

For DR Jrandy, also, sorry to hear about your brother-in-law and sister.  I think if you make a point of trying to keep in touch, (think email), then hopefully you will.

Jennifer

« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2004, 10:22:09 AM »

Heehee, DR Jrand, I changed your name.  But I like your new name.  So I think I won't modify it. :)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2004, 10:27:36 AM »

A Pearl from the Oyster of Life

I have a great diet. You're allowed to eat anything you want, but you must eat it with naked fat people.

This and other equally tasty morsels may be found at:
 Fat Like Me:One-Liners

der Brucer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2004, 10:39:33 AM »

Where in tarnation is everybody?  Unless you Wussburgers get off your butt cheeks and start posting there will be some bitch-slapping around here.  Yes indeed, our anniversary partay will become a bitch-splapping partay.

Did you know that partay spelled backwards is yatrap?  Perhaps we should have a yatrap instead of a partay.  What other web site has a thrid anniversary yatrap?  Only us, that's who.  That is because we are the grooviest, the ginchiest, the most popular, the chickest chicest chiquest web sit on the entire internet.  We're the pants on a Roxy usher, we are.  We're camembert.  We're Mickey Mouse.

Did anyone notice that I typed thrid instead of third?  Or am I losing the thrid of the conversation?  Do I have some silver thrids among the gold?  Does anyone know what the hell I'm talking about?  If so, please let me know.

I think I shall call today's notes The Thrid Anniversary Yatrap.  

And now I must hie me on my way.  I must see people, I must do things, I must consume foodstuffs, and I must prepare for the yatrap.  The tender yatrap.

Let us have scads and scads of lovely postings, shall we?
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2004, 10:59:31 AM »

Now everybody is asking "Is it really three years already?", and I am asking, "Is it only three years?"  I mean, I don't know what I did with my life before the good Mr. Haines established this here site, I really don't.  How on earth did I get through 9/11/01  without my fellow DR's, for example?

I was a Big A fan back in the Big A days.  And then of course I read BK's column on the Site That Dare Not Speak Its Name.  Someone posted on a list-srever I frequent that BK was no longer with ---------- ----------, and I asked, how can that be, since BK is ---------- ----------?  And I think they directed me here.  And here I'll stay with you.  Oh, a Love Life reference!

I'll have to say that this site meant the world to me last March, when my Joe was incarcerated, and his mom passed away.  The daily postings by all of the lovely people here helped me to get through it all, do what I had to do, and maintain my faith in the goodness of humanity in the face of hard-hearted people and just plain evil people.  For that I love you all.

My appearances here have been sporadic of late, partly because we are still dealing with the fall-out from that time.  But I do not miss a Notes, and I do not miss a post.  
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2004, 11:09:37 AM »

Oh, my gosh WOF, that was a GREAT impersonation of a BK post! LOL!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2004, 11:11:55 AM »

There are five, count them five people sitting there like so much fish. You must all post until the cows come home, or at least until the bulls come home...or at least until the running of the bulls!

(Ok, that is my feeble attempt to post like BK).

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2004, 11:14:11 AM »

Hearty congratulations to Dear BK and all the Dear Readers out there in the dark who have made www.haineshisway.com the ginchiest--and almost most popular--web site in all of internetdom.

It was Dear Reader/Dear Brother Stuart who introduced me to HHW.com soon after it was launched, and for that I am most grateful!

Other aspects of HHW for which I am grateful:

--The splendid friendships I have gained and developed here, both on-line and in person.

--The wonderful humor that can be found here without fail.  In particular, I treasure the belly aches I get from laughing as hard as I do on any of those occasions when Dear BK asks us to come up with a Worst Cast Scenario.

--The wealth of knowledge I have picked up here, some of it rather arcane.

--Without HHW, I'd have gone through life not knowing who Allison Hayes was or what she looked like.  (Imagine that!)

There's much more I could say (Oh.  A "Mr. Wonderful" reference.), and perhaps I shall a little later on.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2004, 11:23:14 AM »

Now someone in here has to defend 2001:  A Space Odyssey.

It was back in 1968, I believe, that I traveled from Madison WI to Boston and NYC to visit some college friends.  My New York friend insisted that we must see the new science fiction movie.  I was less than enthusiastic, being a devotée of "sf novels" and having a snobbish disdain for "sci-fi" movies.  There were pictures on the subway posters of men in space suits on the Moon.  I did not want to go.  But I went.

Well, for me 2001 was something akin to a religious experience, in Cinerama, in the original cut I believe, before it was shortened a bit.

Thereafter, I tried to see it in as many locations as I could.  I went with friends when it opened in Milwaukee.  I saw it in San José when I visited my brother's family.  I dragged my parents to it in Dallas.  ("Religious!" exclaimed my born-again fundamentalist mother.  "I thought it was anti-religious!  All that evolution stuff.")  I saw it on a ship off the coast of Senegal.  I saw it on an airplane.  

I saw it last month on cable.  Sure the special effects pale next to today's bells and whistles.  In fact the star journey, which was the gosh! wow! part when it came out, is decidedly amateur-night now.  But the film holds up for me, as--who posted here?--more like a piece of music, a tone poem, than a story.  Don't look for narrative.  Look for mood and, well, if I may use the term, philosophy, Clarke's Weltanschauung.  Whis is not a breed of dog, I might add.

In any case, that's where I stand on the film, but à chacun son gout, which is French for "horse race".
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2004, 11:25:57 AM »

I hesitate to tell the story of how I got at this here site because it shows a rather unpleasant side of my personality.  But tell it I shall.  I remember it as if it were yesterday...

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move](wavy flashback lines as I stroke my chin)

Anyway, I was searching and yahooing and googling the name of a certain cretin who posts with alarming frequency and venom on rec.arts.theatre.musicals in the hopes of digging up some kind of sordid dirt with which I could use to drive him away.  No such luck.  But among my searches, I did find mention of this a**hole's name in the archives of HHW (being bandied by people who were discussing him with as much distain as I had for him.)  As I read through the posts, I found that the non-cretin discussions were interesting and informative and that the people who posted were losts of fun and very nice, too.  I lurked for about a few days and realized that I wanted in.  This was the kind of community that was sorely lacking at r.a.t.m., and it was exactly what I was looking for.  I signed up and joined the partay!  
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 11:30:33 AM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2004, 11:26:31 AM »

LOL DRJAY - and you would have never driven up the hill on North Orange Avenue!

LOL DtM - being an actress in the 1950's, I would imagine that Allison spent a LOT of time on the phone, sitting, standing, and running!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Emily

« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2004, 11:49:12 AM »

Oy...

Can you all tell that I posted this morning in a rush AND with little time for my large cup of coffee to fully sink in?

First off - FORT Lauderdale.  Sheesh.  I must have gotten it and Saint Augustine messed up in my, sadly, US Geography-less brain.  I can't imagine Quebec maps without the "Saints".  Especially the made-up saints for which rural quebec is famous for.  One website lists a couple choice ones:

St-Jean-Chrysostome-de-Russelltown
St-Louis-de-Haha
St-Stanislas-de-Koska
St-Malachie-d'Ormstown
St-Patrice-de-Sherrington
Ste-Agnes-de-Dundee
Ste-Emilie-d'Energie

My favourite is St-Louis-de-Haha by a long shot.

Second point, MENTAL not METAL vibes.  Sheesh sheesh sheesh.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 11:51:27 AM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2004, 11:51:10 AM »

I came to this fair site after first getting linked here by DR Jennifer on another website.  

Then I lurked in on a chat for a short while and the rest is history.

My favourite moments from HHW were definitely caused by our "Mary, Merry, Marry" discussion. :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2004, 11:55:53 AM »

I pronounce marry, mary and merry exactly the same.  So sue me.  I'm just an ignorant Okie anyway.
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2004, 12:06:42 PM »

I AIMed DR Jason this morning, and he sends his love to all and Sundry.  Is planning to move to Queens soon and leave his mouse-infested rat-hole and Señora Lavadora forever.

He talked to DR Jose yesterday via the tellyphone, so hopefully Jose will drag Jason to one or more hhw get-togethers while he is here, to which alas I shall not come.
--Wayland Flowers

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2004, 12:20:17 PM »

Well, I wasn't about to dare try to imitiate BK's unique style and I'm certainly not after Noel's and William "F." Orr's excellent pastiches.

I came to this site because I happened to walk into my favourite bookstore the day Mr. Bruce Kimmel was doing a reading of the Krtizer books.  I had actually met him earlier in this same bookstore years ago (different location) where we had traded compliments and went our merry ways like ships in the night.  I had seen his books being promoted in the store and certainly recognized the name, being so familiar with his records and owning so many of them.  But anyway, here I was in the store and, for those of you who have read the books and enjoyed them, to hear them being read by Mr. Kimmel is  an even  greater joy.

After the reading, I purchased the books, had him sign them, and re-introduced myself.  He said I should do an unseemingly interview, we traded emails, I went home and began perusing the site.  Within a week, I think I had done the interview.  And shortly after that, I began posting.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 01:19:18 PM by Charles Pogue »

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2004, 12:30:57 PM »

Well, I wasn't about to dare try to imitiate BK's unique style and I'm certainly not after Noel's and William T. Orr's excellent pastiches.

I thank you, but again I will remind you I am William F. Orr, and I have never been a producer for Warner Brothers.  When your close personal friend Harlan Ellison met me he asked, "Are you related to Bill Orr?" to which I replied, "I am him."

I am also not the Christian theologian that keeps coming up on Google searches of my name.

In any case, thank you again for the compliment, DR Edward Pogue.  Oh, a Kevin Sorbo reference!
--Wayland Flowers

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2004, 12:37:10 PM »

Good afternoon all

Wow, has it truly been three years?  To be honest, I do not know exactly when I first started reading here at HHW.  I was brought here, of course, by DR Jed.  He had been a faithful reader of The Real A, and somehow found this lovely site when it was created.  Knowing my penchant for all things quirky and music-related, he showed me the way.  I lurked for a few months, then timidly started posting.  At the time I was the youngest member of the merry gang. (or marry gang.:)) With the exception of my recent E&T-ness, I have been a faithful reader/poster ever since.  

Along those lines, I had a most interesting dream last night which I feel I must share.  I dreamt that I was having a conversation with our dear BK, in a cafe somewhere I think, and he was talking about music he had been asked to write for a commerical, and to my surprise and delight, he asked if I would consider singing some of this music (Hey, this is a dream, remember?)  The odd part was that sometime during this little conversation, for no reason whatsoever, he turned into a woman...a woman resembling Meryl Streep, if I recall.  Odd, no?  :)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2004, 12:43:40 PM »

Happy Anniversary HHW!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up