Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ  (Read 16853 times)

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
Re:THE ANNIVERSARY WALTZ
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2004, 12:53:36 PM »

Happy Anniversary to us all!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2004, 12:58:01 PM »

Watched about an hour of GWTW. Yes, it looks beautiful, but I didn't find the UltraResolution as revelatory as it was on SINGIN' IN THE RAIN. The sound seems the same as on the previous DVD release - a repurposed 5.1 Dolby Digital track. I'm surprised they didn't offer DD mono as an alternative, but they didn't.

DR MBarnum, there is no separate listing for screen tests if they are indeed there. There may be Easter eggs I haven't found (haven't looked for any yet, frankly, and the tests may be contained in those Easter eggs. There are bits and pieces of the tests in the documentary "The Making of a Legend," of course, but I'm sure you knew that already. Anyway, if I find out more, I'll post it here.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2004, 01:00:17 PM »

Like Charles Pogue, I couldn't begin to capture that bk style. Noel and WFO certainly did admirable impersonations, but I'd rather retain my dignity and not try to mimic the un-mimickable (not sure that's a word).  :D

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2004, 01:10:50 PM »

Like Charles Pogue, I couldn't begin to capture that bk style. Noel and WFO certainly did admirable impersonations, but I'd rather retain my dignity and not try to mimic the un-mimickable (not sure that's a word).  :D

I agree, DRMattH!  I can do a fantastic impersonation of BK in the recording studio, but it's a whole different medium.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2004, 01:14:29 PM »

Ann: It IS odd that you had that dream, for lately I have indeed found myself turning into Meryl Streep at the oddest moments.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2004, 01:17:39 PM »

William F.  My 'umblest apologies!  The funny thing is, I actually went back and checked to see if I had the right initial, but I guess my deep-seated Freudian impulses still over-rode what my eyes saw!  Again, my 'umblest apologies!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2004, 01:17:57 PM »

Hmmmmm....BK turning into Meryl Streep.....DtM planting one on Bea Arthur.....

What do you people ingest before you head off to slumberland, anyway??

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2004, 01:24:51 PM »

Actually, DR Pogue, I have encountered various individuals with my name.  When I was in Madison, the bank kept putting the paycheck of William R. Orr into my account--back before electronic everything, of course.  I, honest soul that I am, would always report the error.

But once many years ago, I was sitting in criminal court on a matter that did not involve myself when the bailiff called out "William Orr!" as the next case--it turned out to be a possession of illegal substances charge for an entirely different individual.

A few months later I got a phone call from a bill collector.  When I assured her I was William F., not William J., I told her the above story.  Sure enough, the next day she called me back to let me know she had found the deadbeat--in the county jail.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2004, 01:31:19 PM »

It's simple to remember, really:

A pair of flying saucers = wfo
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2004, 01:33:18 PM »

Happy Anniversary indeed.  What a pleasant few years it has been amongst such friends.
I first encountered BK through his "Real A" column and then found a very similar style of writing at another site which now seems to have disappeared - Well it has from MY computer. When BK suddenly vanished from that site I eventually tracked him down through a question to Mr Barkalot (Thank you again Mark). I was led to BK through the kindness of his close friend Mr Guy Haines.

I think I may have first posted at HHW about February 2002.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2004, 01:36:55 PM »

Or, to put it into French:  Oui, l'homme est fort!
« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 01:37:45 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

Ginny

« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2004, 01:43:32 PM »

3rd Anniversary Wishes to HHW!

DRelmore introduced this site to me about a month ago when I visited him in NYC.  I lurked for a while, jumped in a few weeks ago, and never looked back.

My only regret is that I must've missed some pretty interesting conversations in the first 3 years.  Also, my admiration for BK and his colleagues who keep this site going - it's a lot of work.  I'm responsible for this little site:

www.orgsites.com/oh/joyluckclub

which is not nearly as interactive as HHW and still takes up a lot of time.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2004, 01:45:29 PM »

;D

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Matt H.

« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2004, 01:55:43 PM »

Another bright blue but even chillier day than yesterday with temps not getting out of the 50s. Nice cuddling weather. [sigh]

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2004, 02:01:49 PM »

Just returned from the opera a little while ago. The Budapest Opera House has been restored to its former glory - someone should post a picture. it's magnificent. Saw Bartok's Bluebeard's Castle. Excellent. Haven't seen it since I was 6 - and it made a lot more sense now.

I was introduced to this site by bk, whom I met before the site. I really wasn't particularly interested in posting, but he lured me in -- and the rest is herstory.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #75 on: November 09, 2004, 02:27:14 PM »

I, too, will not attempt to imitate BK's inimitable style.  I started coming to HHW sometime during the summer after it started (June or July, I think).  I didn't know about The Real A on sondheim.com, only BK's notes on FA.  When that site no longer proved welcoming, I drifted without direction until I found HHW.  I've been coming here ever since (except for when my computer permanently crashed in April of this year and I had no easy access.  I wasn't able to spend ALL of my time at work on HHW...that would be unseemly ::)).

Anyway, meeting Jeff (and Jeff's wife and kids), Mike (MBarnum) and Jane a few months ago was a thrill.  Hopefully, we can have another PNW HHW gathering that will include Jed, Ann and Tom (TCB).  Maybe BK can take a field trip to the Northwest!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #76 on: November 09, 2004, 02:30:50 PM »

Yesterday, Jane wrote:
George did you find Ebony?  I’m only up to page three.  I hope since then you have posted good news.

Yes!  Actually, it looks like that Ebony (my housemate's cat) never left the house!  Neither I, nor Peter (my housemate), had any idea where she could've gone.  I thought that we looked everywhere that she could've gotten to, but we never found her.  But, she's fine now. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: November 09, 2004, 02:41:25 PM »

And where in tarnation IS dear reader Jane on our anniversary?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: November 09, 2004, 02:47:46 PM »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
[/size][/font][/color]

Hmm, third anniversary is leather!  Leave it to me to find that out (if I hadn't, td would have).  I discovered this here site about a year and a half ago.  I was trying to find (and still am) an address where I could contact Jerry Herman.  That lead me to Carol Channing, HELLO DOLLY!, and eventually Bruce Kimmel. I lurked for a while, because I was terrified that this gathering of sophisticates would beat me senseless if I attempted to offer an opinion.  Instead, I was met with the warmest greetings from one and all.

I could never have imagined that I would meet so many wonderful, warm, and witty people who would become so much a part of my life.  You have cheered me when I was down and applauded me when I have succeeded.  I even gained a son and daughter in the process.  Thank you one and all for being such a large and wonderful part of my life, and especially to BK for bringing us all together.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #79 on: November 09, 2004, 03:10:24 PM »

Regarding 2001 and GWTW:

I would never consider 2001 to be a favorite movie of mine, but I did enjoy watching it, especially the first time when I saw it on a widescreen.  I have probably seen it three times since it was originally released.  I find it unusual, entertaining, and maybe even thought-provoking, but if I never saw it again, I would not be heartbroken.

I think BK summed up my feelings about GONE WITH THE WIND, when he said that he just didn't get it. That would be my opinion of the film.  I don't care for any of the characters in the film, and I especially dislike the character of Scarlett.  The movie, to me, just goes on and on, and gets nowhere.  I am glad that it is a film that so many people enjoy, but I just don't happen to be one of them.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: November 09, 2004, 03:37:05 PM »

GWTW: Thank you Tom. I'm with you all the way.
I like to watch "2001" every few years. It's is not emotionally involving but the philosphy and the technical achievements are always good to revisit. I guess it's significance is often related to the time of our first viewing. I think I saw GWTW first in the mid 1970's. I thought - "so what?".  I enjoyed the musical more when I saw it in London a few years earler. I would not bother with the book.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #81 on: November 09, 2004, 03:41:35 PM »

And just to really make it a partay!  

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: November 09, 2004, 03:42:35 PM »

Bruce congratulations on three years!!

JRand I’m very sorry about your sister and brother in-law.  Maybe they will reconcile.  Best of healing vibes to you all.

Emily-good mental health vibes to your friend.

Noel I think you are missing Joy.  Keith use to travel all the time so I know.
You had me for a second there and I was wondering when you went to L.A. ;D

I need to switched computers and shall return in a bit.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: November 09, 2004, 03:47:45 PM »

I have never seen 2001. I have seen clips from it, but they never seemed to entice me to see it. Of course I might be missing a very good movie!

Gone With the Wind I have only seen in sections. When it used to play on network TV when I was a kid I would usually see either the first half or the second half...but never the whole thing together.

..but wouldn't you know I have seen all of Earth Vs. The Spider at least a dozen times in my life!

« Last Edit: November 09, 2004, 03:48:49 PM by MBarnum »

George

« Reply #84 on: November 09, 2004, 03:52:24 PM »

I went to an on-line logo generator (only one of many that I found) and created this:

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #85 on: November 09, 2004, 03:54:02 PM »

Good Evening!  From New York City!

-all together now, "New York City?!??!?"  -Damn those commercials! ;)

Steve and I made it up here with only a spot or two of traffic in Virginia, but, otherwise, it was smooth sailing.  Very smooth.  And since the SmartTag system is now part of the EZPazz system, we even got to sail through the tolls.  All the tolls!

Beautiful, clear day.  On the cold side, but it's supposed to be that way!

After getting settled into our room, we me DR PennyO for a light snack and lots of "discuss"!  :)  It was great getting to see her again, and to spend more than just 30 seconds with her this time.  And I'm on board for the New York debut of "Jewish Thighs on Broadway"!

Steve and I walked around Times Square afterwards, and made a stop in the humongous Toy'R'Us to pick up some goodies for my nieces and nephew.

Now we're back at the hotel just taking a small breather before heading out for a nice, leisurely paced dinner.  Italian!  YUM!!!!  We shall feast!  Oh, yes, we shall feast!!  And drink too!  I'm thinking some grappa might be very good tonight with the chill in the air.

So...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: November 09, 2004, 03:55:26 PM »

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY HAINES HIS WAY!!!

THANK YOU, BK!

THANK YOU, DONALD!

THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: November 09, 2004, 03:58:25 PM »

So... I have yet to read all of today's posts, but I did read the notes...

I'll try my best to catch up once we're back from dinner...

Looking forward to the H/K Gathering tomorrow...

OH!  To tie this into something from the posts from the past few days:

What do you call a group of Hainsies and Kimlets?

-Crazy!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: November 09, 2004, 03:59:29 PM »

Jennifer zinc might be better for colds than vitamin C.  I always make sure to take zinc when I have a cold.  They even sell special ones for colds.  The idea is to let them dissolve in your mouth but I prefer to swallow them.  Good health vibes for your aunt.

Dan (the Man) I think your story of coming to this site is great.

Charles Pogue I had thought you and Bruce were already good friends when you did the interview.  BTW I thought it was one of the best interviews I have ever read and shared it with Keith.

Ann, odd yes and scary too since some of your dreams come true.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #89 on: November 09, 2004, 03:59:40 PM »

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up