Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LIVELY AND FESTIVE NOTES  (Read 20228 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE LIVELY AND FESTIVE NOTES
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2004, 12:02:03 PM »

Burt Reynolds and Lori Nelson - when did he meet her?  When she was down in Florida on location?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2004, 12:02:20 PM »

Special alert to DR Jose:  There's a new episode of Good Eats running tonight, about stuffing!  Yes, stuffing!  The stuff Alton's said is evil!

(Well, I think it's McDonald's that's evil, but that's another episode, as they say.)

What with new ABs and a new ep of Lost, Wednesdays make me very happy these days.

Sung to the tune of "Nanny, nanny, boo-boo..."

I've already seen it!
I've already seen it!

:P

-And it's a very fun episode.  It somehow got batched into one of FoodTV's Thanksgiving Foods blocks earlier this week - I can't recall exactly when I saw it. -It might have been at 2:00AM.  It was also nice finally seeing the Thanksgiving leftover show (a la "Blair Witch Project") in its entirety earlier this week too.

*I do have one quibble/question with the stuffing episode, but we'll discuss that later.
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2004, 12:02:54 PM »

I would certainly pack luggage with What Does a Lover Pack from 2 Gentlemen of Verona.

But, there's an odd coincidence here.  In And Then He Wrote: Songs of Squeaky Klein the audience will be asked for a household chore, such as mopping the floor.  And then, Cedric Yau and Kathleen Spinelli will create Squeaky's cheesy 1980's ballad, How Am I Supposed To Mop the Floor Without You?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2004, 12:05:20 PM »

Page Three Turkey Day Dance!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2004, 12:09:57 PM »

Nice, DR Elmoore.  Is it true the Cy Coleman does his own orchestrations?  And what composer (besides Andrew Lloyd Webber) has written his own orchestrations to their shows in the past?

DRMatthew, I don't recall ever seeing Cy Coleman credited for doing his orchestrations, but he's an excellent musician, composer and jazz man, and I'm sure he has a lot of input with his collaborators.  He may have scored his albums with jazz groups, though.

Frankly, I don't believe ALW does his own orchestrations;  I think he uses excellent ghosts.  Victor Herbert, Kurt Weill, Leonard Bernstein, Marc Blitzstein, and Jerome Moross are all I can think of right off the bat, but they all had help:

Victor Herbert scored the things he wanted to do and turned the rest over to Otto Langey and, later, Harold Sanford
Kurt Weill often asked Ted Royal to help him with the more popular and hot dance music
Bernstein got help from Hershy Kay, Don Walker, Sid Ramin, Irwin Kostal, and Jonathan Tunick
Marc Blitzstein had help from Hershy Kay and Russell Bennett on JUNO
Jerome Moross had help from Hershy Kay on THE GOLDEN APPLE

Incidentally, the chamber orchestration for the incidental music to INVITATION TO A MARCH is by Mr Sondheim himself, and I think he acquits himself marvelously.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2004, 12:10:55 PM »

It's not really creative, but I like playing The Pajama Game OCR when I'm cleaning the house.  All those up-tempo tunes make cleaning a breeze.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2004, 12:13:58 PM »

Here is Lori Nelson developing her crush on John Bromfield (and who can blame her!)

MBarnum

« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2004, 12:14:52 PM »

Burt Reynolds and Lori Nelson - when did he meet her?  When she was down in Florida on location?

They dated for quite some time in the early 60s after she guest starred on Burt's TV series RIVERBOAT.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:16:24 PM by MBarnum »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2004, 12:19:18 PM »

Here is Lori Nelson developing her crush on John Bromfield (and who can blame her!)

Where?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2004, 12:24:26 PM »

Well, the local weathermen and weatherwomen keep reminding me that it's an absolutely beautiful Fall day here in Richmond - mid 60's, and a bright, blue sky!  I've been looking at it through my windows for the past few hours, and I think I'm ready to go outside and "feel" it.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2004, 12:29:28 PM »

Here's a link to a Playbill On-Line article. They are re-naming the Ford Center for the Performing Arts, the theatre on 42nd and 43rd Street where Forty-Second Street is currently playing. When it closes in January they will turn it into the set for Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. It used to be two historic Broadway theatres. During the renovations (which I must admit are quite nice), they turned it into one large theatre. It was bad enough that they chose the name "Ford Center etc." because Ford Motor Company helped with the renovations. You might think that perhaps they would take our theatre history into account when choosing a new name. Why would they do something silly like that when they can name the place after a hotel! Not just any hotel, but the Hilton! Now, when clueless people come to New York they will think Paris Hilton has her own theatre!

Selling our history for a mess of pottage! Ugghh. I'm annoyed.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/89637.html
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:31:14 PM by Ben »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2004, 12:33:36 PM »

Great reviews from Tammy and Panni on Amazon.com - hope to have mine up tomorrow or Friday after finishing the tome!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2004, 12:34:50 PM »

Here's a question for everyone: What tricks do you use when you need to sleep and can't?

OK.....I've been good for way too long.  

When tricks are involved, sleep usually isn't an issue.

td

• td
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2004, 12:35:58 PM »

I was just about to tell him about that DRMBARNUM - the sister site does sell cd's!  They have some things that are not available anywhere else.  Collectors Choice Cd also has some nice things, including the MAME soundtrack for less than $13!

Yes, and if you go to Collector's Choice (where I buy my Bobby Darin cds) you'll be surprised to find:
http://www.ccmusic.com/item.cfm?itemid=LGH11202
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2004, 12:37:00 PM »

Lori is MIA, DRMBARNUM!

DRELMORE - didn't Cy Coleman write and record some ice skating music for Herb Yates and Vera when he was working at Republic.  I seem to remember that the order came down for some nice skating music, and Cy was a bit confused because NO skating pictures were on the schedule.  Sometime after it was written and recorded, he walked by the stage that had been flooded for Vera's two skating movies and saw Herb and Vera skating arm in arm around the rink.

td

• td
« Reply #75 on: November 17, 2004, 12:37:27 PM »

Guess what arrived in my mailbox this afternoon?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #76 on: November 17, 2004, 12:38:37 PM »

LOL sounds great td!  I was afraid it was a link to a Kevin Spacey - Bobby Darin CD.

td

• td
« Reply #77 on: November 17, 2004, 12:48:02 PM »

LOL sounds great td!  I was afraid it was a link to a Kevin Spacey - Bobby Darin CD.

Ugh!  Until I've seen BEYOND THE SEA, I don't even want to think about Spacey as Darin . . .directing Spacey AND scoring the film, too.

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: November 17, 2004, 12:52:08 PM »

Just used the discount code on DeepdiscountDVD! Bought Alpha's DRAGNET VOL. 3 ( has episodes that I have not seen before), The Ugly Dachshund, Target Earth, Earth Vs. The Flying Saucers, Way Down East (Lillian Gish), and Wild Women of Wongo (for one of my interviewees).
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 12:52:43 PM by MBarnum »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #79 on: November 17, 2004, 12:53:47 PM »

And you saved a LOT of $$$$!!!

Off to rehearsal.

TD - did you visit the Beyond the Sea website?

Tomovoz

« Reply #80 on: November 17, 2004, 01:05:59 PM »

Liked what I've seen of the Spacey/Darin show and Spacey's voice is fine.  Check it out on the "Midnight In The Garden OF Evil" soundtrack.

DRs know I am very much a fan of both Spacey and Darin. I for one am looking forward to the movie being successful.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #81 on: November 17, 2004, 01:07:19 PM »

"Tea For Two" time here.  Breakfast.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #82 on: November 17, 2004, 01:13:01 PM »

Glad you used the VOODOO Mr BK.

Wow - the first time I saw Kasey Rogers, she was the mother of a little deaf girl on the series PEYTON PLACE...she was GREAT!

Hmmmmmmmmm...richard valley - that's the guy who doesn't use my stuff.
But he likes to send me subscription offers.

My first question for ASK BK day - which of the Black Lagoon movies is your favorite?  And why?  I got the CFBL Legacy set and I like all of the movies, the commentaries are pretty good, especially with Lori Nelson on REVENGE OF.....

I only know the roriginal well - I don't recall loving the sequels.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: November 17, 2004, 01:14:24 PM »

Question for bk - you've mentioned that in recording a song, you may need to "comp" the vocals... what exactly does that mean?

It means I do two or three takes (or however many I deem necessary) and then use the best bits from the various takes, always making certain that it feels of a piece.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #84 on: November 17, 2004, 01:15:31 PM »

My copy of WRITER'S BLOCK also arrived today, much to my surprise. Mail delivery here is always so quirky. Thanks to Mr. bk for the expedited shipping.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: November 17, 2004, 01:16:29 PM »

Another question for BK:  You mentioned yesterday that you were viewing a Boston performance of GRAND HOTEL.  Didn't Faye Grant make it to Boston?  Or did she leave the cast during rehearsals?  Do you recall?

Would you have gone to the lengths TT did to save the piece?  Or would you have left it as it was in Boston?

Who did Faye play?  It's really hard to see anything on the tape clearly.  I absolutely would have gone to the lengths Tommy Tune did, because the show, even then, had really interesting things in it.  I just would have not wasted time with not butting endings on things - I would have seen that that was a bad idea very quickly.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #86 on: November 17, 2004, 01:20:51 PM »

Now a question for Ask BK Day:

Will listening to the CD before I read the book give away any surprises or reveal anything AT ALL about the mystery? I probably won't get to the book itself until this weekend, but will have time now to listen to the CD if there are no spoilers.

Sorry for being so picky about spoilers, but I haven't enjoyed a good murder mystery in such a long time, and I'm looking SO forward to reading yours with a fresh perspective.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: November 17, 2004, 01:21:35 PM »

Who did Faye play?  

She was cast (and I think rehearsed) as Flaemmchen, and dropped out due to her pregnancy.

I just don't remember when she dropped out.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 01:35:16 PM by Stuart »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: November 17, 2004, 01:22:03 PM »

Well, all you people who got the book, read on, MacDuff.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #89 on: November 17, 2004, 01:37:47 PM »

She was cast (and I think rehearsed) as Flaemmchen, and dropped out due to her pregnancy.

Talk about getting into a role!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up