Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WHIRLING DERVISH  (Read 19071 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE WHIRLING DERVISH
« Reply #150 on: December 11, 2004, 09:42:03 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  Such wonderful foodstuffs.  We had prime rib, salmon in dill sauce, latkes, chopped liver, creamed spinach, salad and a host of other goodies.  I had a very good time and even met some new people.  Here is photographic proof that I was there - the youngest Wechter, Daniel, sporting his new very long "do".

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: December 11, 2004, 09:42:54 PM »

The Wechters - David on the left, Barbara on the right.  David just finished Writer's Block and loved it.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: December 11, 2004, 09:44:56 PM »

Can't remember exactly how this woman fits in the very convoluted Wechter food chain, but she's related to Barbara, having been married to someone in her family (Bernie Cutler, our set designer for the benefit we did a couple of years ago, and the art director for Herb Ross' Pennies from Heaven) - Barbara's maiden name is Barbara Cutler, and this nice ladies' name is Barbara Cutler.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #153 on: December 11, 2004, 09:45:46 PM »

Finally, a photograph of two vats of sour cream - I had no idea that sour cream came in containers this large.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #154 on: December 11, 2004, 10:07:17 PM »

And the sour cream grew and GREW.... I smell a horror movie...

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #155 on: December 11, 2004, 10:07:38 PM »

That is a lot of sour cream

Panni

« Reply #156 on: December 11, 2004, 10:15:55 PM »

I would run screaming from the house if I saw that much sour cream. Sort of like the Blob. Only sour. And cream.

Panni

« Reply #157 on: December 11, 2004, 10:20:21 PM »

I bought a large hot chocolate while I was out and about. I just finished it. It was larger than the sour cream. I am very full of hot chocolate. Thought I'd share.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #158 on: December 11, 2004, 10:28:34 PM »

I bought a large hot chocolate while I was out and about. I just finished it. It was larger than the sour cream. I am very full of hot chocolate. Thought I'd share.

Thank you for sharing.
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2004, 10:36:38 PM »

People are listing plays and musicals, but nobody's reporting laughing hysterically.  Do not end the year short on mirth!  Hie thee to
Generation F'dMonday, December 13
7pm & 9pm
Barrow Group Studio
312 West 36th Street - 3rd Floor Theatre
Admission: $10
Reservations - 212 691 0011 or KNSecondCity@aol.com

Re: Stephen Schwartz
I'm a big fan of Stephen Schwartz, and enjoyed dinner and lunch with him this year (Indian food, both times).  As I've said many times, Godspell's an excellent show.  There are some gorgeous things in The Baker's Wife (even if I agree with David Merrick about the need to cut Meadowlark).  Working's a terrific show.  There are some very good songs in two of the top ten longest-running musicals of the seventies, The Magic Show and Pippin.  I enjoyed Rags.  I liked Hunchback of Notre Dame.  Never saw Pochahontas.  And, today, I listed Wicked as one of my top ten theatrical experiences of 2004, citing two of its songs as stand-outs.

That said, I won't deny that Schwartz's recent scores have disappointed me.  I attend the ASCAP workshops year after year, and SS has a bunch of wonderful things to say about writing musicals.   If Wicked had gone before the panel, it would have been severely criticized for some puerile lyrics, and a plot that becomes about something completely different than what it started out to be.   I don't enjoy the cast album

DR Danise said something that piqued my interest, and, in asking this question, I hope I don't sound like I'm criticizing.  But I'm truly puzzled.  You just saw Phantom of the Opera and say that, on your next trip to New York, you plan to see Phantom of the Opera.  On a typical day here, you've literally dozens of musicals to choose from, all of which have opened more recently than Phantom of the Opera.  Why would you choose something you've already seen over something you haven't seen?

If this could be answered for me, it would be valuable knowledge, and help me understand the theatre biz a little better.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2004, 11:07:01 PM »

i was inspired by all the photos tonight and was fooling around with my camera. Here is a particularly nice portrait of Abie. Very regal...

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2004, 11:15:58 PM »

Well, Jesus Christ Superstar certainly would not make my top ten list of favorites. It was too loud with a lot of yelling/singing. If I hadn't already known the story, I wouldn't have had  much of a clue what was going on. However, Miss Natalie Toro brought down the house with "I Don't Know How to Love Him."
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Panni

« Reply #162 on: December 11, 2004, 11:21:56 PM »

More late night pics...  It was a custom in my family to always get a marzipan pig for New Year for good luck. So I got one on my recent visit to Hungary and brought it back. It's sitting in the kitchen, waiting for 2005....

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: December 11, 2004, 11:25:46 PM »

...On the way out to the car tonight after the show, I overheard a few snippets of a conversation a couple was having...

"..Yeah, unfortunately, that's what we'll have to be dealing with the next four years."

"Yes.  And I think we'll just have to go to the theatre, turn to the Arts in order to get some discussion going and to see the different viewpoints."

The Power of Theatre
*I guess I should preface this "remark" with the fact that the final scene of show takes place in the White House of "today".
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #164 on: December 11, 2004, 11:26:05 PM »

And... as regular DRs know (perhaps even irregular DRs) -- I love roast chestnuts. I made a tremendous discovery last year: Trader Joe's has frozen roast chestnuts, imported from Italy, ready in 2 minutes in the micro! And thy're good. And I'm addicted to them. Of course, it's a seasonal item, and even during the season, not always in stock. So whenever I see they're in, I grab a few packages. Here is a picture of my freezer...

Panni

« Reply #165 on: December 11, 2004, 11:28:20 PM »

And that's it for show and tell. I tried to take a picture of myself in the mirror, but the flash wiped out my reflection. I feel like a vampire.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #166 on: December 11, 2004, 11:28:26 PM »

Finally, a photograph of two vats of sour cream - I had no idea that sour cream came in containers this large.

You've obviously never been to Costco. ::)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #167 on: December 11, 2004, 11:28:41 PM »

Michael Shayne when is the movie coming out?  I wonder if the story will be changed somewhat.   Spoiler alert!  The scene when the grandfather suddenly gets out of bed after how many years, and dances was a bit too silly for me.

Did this happen in the book?

And in the new movie, what's this about Willy Wonka's FATHER??
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #168 on: December 11, 2004, 11:28:59 PM »

...And for those DRs who are possibly planning to attend the show, that's not a spoiler...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2004, 11:38:16 PM »

Welcome six GUESTS.  We're talkin' about - what ARE we talkin' about?  Oh, yes, ten best plays and musicals.

Panni

« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2004, 11:39:52 PM »

Jose - I meant to mention earlier - the party dishes sounded exceedingly yummy.

Panni

« Reply #171 on: December 11, 2004, 11:44:15 PM »

To add to my list... I saw some Canadian play here this year which I quite liked, but I can't remember the title of it. What was strange was that it was (a lot of was-es in the sentence!) about people I knew back in my early acting days. The "Miles" character in the play was based on the Miles (Potter) I had acted with. I'll have to find the name of the play on Google.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 11:47:39 PM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #172 on: December 11, 2004, 11:44:26 PM »

Jose - I meant to mention earlier - the party dishes sounded exceedingly yummy.

Yes, they were.

<burp>

-And I guess we'll be feasting on leftovers for the next couple of days.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #173 on: December 11, 2004, 11:46:45 PM »

I love Google! Put in a few key words and found it - THE DRAWER BOY at the Colony Theater.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6]   Go Up