Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WHITHER THE WEATHER  (Read 12508 times)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
Re: WHITHER THE WEATHER
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2009, 04:30:24 PM »

We are back from the ribbon-cutting/grand opening of Maxi's Permanent Make-Up, a new business venture of a local retired physician and his wife.  They provide all kinds of services that I never knew existed - like eyelash extensions.  I'm still trying to figure out why one would want their eyeliner and/or lipliner to be permanent.  They also do tattoo removal, just in case...

My sister's ex-sister-in-law (who lives down the street from the house that my sister has just moved out of) has permanent eye-liner AND lip-liner.  She's been having it done for years.

If it is permanent, why has she had it done for years?

I was going to post the exact same thing, TCB, but then I thought it might show my lack of makeup expertise.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2009, 04:30:39 PM »

TOD:  I'm listening to Christmas music today.   "I love the winter weather....."

Winter weather?  Like what?  Temperatures in the high 80s?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Laura

« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2009, 04:34:56 PM »

I got a new player and radio - I had no idea how cheap this stuff is now and the new radio/player has a cord for my iPod, so I can have that in the car, too. 

Be sure to park in the garage now. My son's stereo was stolen the first night. And our car that was parked on the street was broken into a couple of months ago.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2009, 04:35:58 PM »

The production of PHANTOM at The Venetian is wonderful.  92 minutes, no intermission, and all those extra verses are gone.  Plus the theater and the chandelier are incredible.

It was a lot better when the WSMA was in it, but most things are.

I agree, TCB. Plus, I have a friend in the show, so he has arranged awesome seats for us a couple of times.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2009, 04:39:05 PM »

The production of PHANTOM at The Venetian is wonderful.  92 minutes, no intermission, and all those extra verses are gone.  Plus the theater and the chandelier are incredible.

I agree, TCB. Plus, I have a friend in the show, so he has arranged awesome seats for us a couple of times.

I would gladly pay to see it again!  I loved it.  I was relieved when Brent told me that a lot of action was done by a stunt double.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2009, 04:40:30 PM »

We are back from the ribbon-cutting/grand opening of Maxi's Permanent Make-Up, a new business venture of a local retired physician and his wife.  They provide all kinds of services that I never knew existed - like eyelash extensions.  I'm still trying to figure out why one would want their eyeliner and/or lipliner to be permanent.  They also do tattoo removal, just in case...

My sister's ex-sister-in-law (who lives down the street from the house that my sister has just moved out of) has permanent eye-liner AND lip-liner.  She's been having it done for years.

If it is permanent, why has she had it done for years?

I wondered that myself.  My sister told me that evidently, it can fade or spread over the years and one needs to have "touch-ups."

Whatever.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2009, 04:45:46 PM »

I would gladly pay to see it again!  I loved it.  I was relieved when Brent told me that a lot of action was done by a stunt double.

Wow, I didn't realize that Anthony Crivello was still doing all of the performances as The Phantom.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2009, 04:47:16 PM »

I wish there were touch-ups available for all things that fade or spread over the years.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2009, 04:51:18 PM »

And speaking of the WSMA, I see that he is returning to CHICAGO on Broadway in July.

BK, when are you doing the Holiday CD with Brent?
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2009, 04:56:08 PM »

The Brent CD will probably record in August - he's going back into Chicago on B'way.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2009, 05:23:45 PM »

The Brent CD will probably record in August - he's going back into Chicago on B'way.

Do you think there is any chance that Brent and Guy Haines could do a duet on the Holiday CD?
“One thing’s universal,

DAW

« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2009, 05:29:04 PM »

And now I have music in the car again.

:)  :)  :)

Cillaliz

« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2009, 05:30:18 PM »

The music in the elevator here is Phantom of the Opera.   I know why, you can see it here, but I am so sick of it....AHHHHHH!

Hmmm, something to think about

Cillaliz

« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2009, 05:44:04 PM »

How could I not follow those recommendations?   I just called and got a second row center mezz seat for tomorrow night at 7:00 PM.  Our Saturday night closing party doesn't start until 9:00 PM, so I can still go to that if I want to.   Cool beans.  The ticket seller told me this seat has a fabulous view of the chandelier.    Thanks for suggesting it
« Last Edit: June 05, 2009, 05:45:36 PM by Cillaliz »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2009, 05:57:57 PM »

How could I not follow those recommendations?   I just called and got a second row center mezz seat for tomorrow night at 7:00 PM.  Our Saturday night closing party doesn't start until 9:00 PM, so I can still go to that if I want to.   Cool beans.  The ticket seller told me this seat has a fabulous view of the chandelier.    Thanks for suggesting it

Honestly Cilla, I think you will love it.  At least, I hope you do.  I doubt seriously that I would ever go see PAHNTOM OF THE OPERA on Broadway again, but I would go see PHANTOM in a heartbeat.  And Anthony Crivello is wonderful (and a Tony Award winner).
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2009, 06:04:38 PM »

Honestly Cilla, I think you will love it.  At least, I hope you do.  I doubt seriously that I would ever go see PAHNTOM OF THE OPERA on Broadway again, but I would go see PHANTOM in a heartbeat.  And Anthony Crivello is wonderful (and a Tony Award winner).

Frankly, the only time I saw Phantom of the Opera was when it was in Des Moines on tour and I was there for a meeting.   I'm glad I got the ticket.  I'm sure I'll love it and I don't even have to go outside to get to the theater, lol.   

It's really strange to think I've only been outside once since I got here....well other than going to the pool.  Last night at dinner seemed like we were outside, but of course we really weren't

Laura

« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2009, 06:07:06 PM »

Frankly, the only time I saw Phantom of the Opera was when it was in Des Moines on tour and I was there for a meeting.   I'm glad I got the ticket.  I'm sure I'll love it and I don't even have to go outside to get to the theater, lol.  

It's really strange to think I've only been outside once since I got here....well other than going to the pool.  Last night at dinner seemed like we were outside, but of course we really weren't

I love the Venetian. I wish I could afford to stay there.

Cillaliz

« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2009, 06:08:13 PM »

Time to head to the fundraiser and award dinner for Carlos Santana and Cirque de Soleil (sp?)  Santana is being honored for his foundation for migrants and Cirque de soleil....hmmm I guess just because they are who they are... I'll have to get back to you on that one.   I'll try to get photos, but they had to move this to the largest ballroom, so I'm guessing there will be tons of people there.    Better go

Cillaliz

« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2009, 06:10:01 PM »

I love the Venetian. I wish I could afford to stay there.

There are some pretty great deals right now.  We got a conference discount rate, but the place definitely isnt' full, so you may want to check on specials.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2009, 06:18:43 PM »

I just watched Minnelli's version of MADAME BOVARY; Van Heflin's not boorish enough and I have no idea why [le docteur[/i] Bovary's humiliation in mangling Hippolyte's clubfoot and having t amputate was so drastically changed in Minnelli's film.  The best sequence is the waltz with the crashing windows and the whole sense of frenzy catapulting into insanity. Jennifer Jones certainly does make obvious a lot of Emma's madness!

I think,  on the whole, I like the Chabrol version and the BBC one with Francesca Annis more.

Next on the Minnelli role: THE BAD AND THE BEAUTIFUL!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2009, 06:21:34 PM »

Had to go back to the stereo place - couldn't find the remote.  The owner kept insisting I had to have it, and I knew I'd seen it, but it wasn't in the car and it wasn't in the box, the only two places it could have been.  I drove over there, and his workers went through the car and the box - they couldn't find it.  He opened a new box and gave me the remote, telling me he was sure I'd find it and to please bring it back when I did.  As I was about to answer, his worker came in, sheepishly holding the remote.  He found it in the trash can - apparently they'd dropped it and it got swept up and deposited in the trash can.  So, all's well that ends well.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2009, 06:27:20 PM »

Time for me to head home for a short while.  Tonight we're have a cast party for "Romeo & Juliet" and I have a pecan pie that I'm bringing. :D Hopefully, I can get my e-mail set up on my new computer tonight (I think I can just copy all the Outlook Express files from my old computer...I've done that before) and then I'll be all set!

Have a good rest of the evening, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2009, 07:11:38 PM »

I know that it is Friday night, but I am heading to bed to watch the Mariners play - not in my bed (damn), but on the television.  And just in case Mr. Barnum should drop by this evening, I wanted to let him know that the Mariners have gotten their Aussie pitcher back off of injured reserve.

Ryan Rowland Smith
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #173 on: June 05, 2009, 07:12:29 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

FJL

« Reply #174 on: June 05, 2009, 07:28:48 PM »

elmore - Hmmm, it's a good thing you couldn't join us last Saturday night, then.  :)  One of our delightful guests was one of the writers of AS THE WORLD TURNS - seriously!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #175 on: June 05, 2009, 07:59:29 PM »

We've had more rain after it looked like it had moved off shore. It is REALLY damp outside.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #176 on: June 05, 2009, 08:02:52 PM »

Yes, that waltz scene in MADAME BOVARY is unquestionably the best sequence in the movie. And that fabulous neurotic waltz is one of the GREAT pieces of underscore for a movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: June 05, 2009, 08:08:09 PM »

Well, bk, I liked the Blu-ray of BECKET more than you did. Yes, I noticed some rather bad color fluctuations late in the film, but much of it was beautifully colorful and sharp. I'm guessing those elements they had to work with were probably not top notch.

The Dolby Digital 5.1 sound wasn't lossless. The lossless track was the 2.0 stereo track

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: June 05, 2009, 08:10:02 PM »

The other night on one of the pay cable channels (I think it was Showtime), they were showing THE ROAD TO BROADWAY documentary, and I caught about 10 minutes of it, so tonight, after I watched BECKET, I fished the disc out of my show shelf and watched that again tonight. I really like all of the film except for the smug critics' roundtables. They were a complte turnoff.

FJL

« Reply #179 on: June 05, 2009, 08:34:10 PM »

There are some seemingly-newly-released tickets available on Ticketmaster for the Tonys, but it does seem rather costly.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up