Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET  (Read 28285 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:LOUNGING PYJAMAS AND A SMOKING JACKET
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2004, 10:02:32 AM »

I love "The Three Bears" from Warner Bros.  They only did about four cartoons, but each is a classic.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2004, 10:03:39 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I had to take a break from the mini-Pokemon festival that my niece and nephew are currently watching.  *I may have to pick up that Warner Bros. set later... Hmm...

But...

I just wanted to wish very Good Safe Travel Vibes to DR Jason who is heading back to NYC today - probably about to land back in NYC around the time of this post.

Let's hope he has some great tales from his time back home, and some of those recipes! ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: July 05, 2004, 10:06:36 AM »

I've walked and showered and dressed and chatted with my landpeople (landlord and landlady makes me feel like I'm a serf) -- now for some coffee and then much writing, I hope.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: July 05, 2004, 10:09:08 AM »

What I always loved with Beaky Buzzard was the little song he used to sing:  "I'm bringing home a baby bumble bee, won't my mamma be so proud of me."

Another oddball like that was the Hanna-Barbara dog that used to love dog biscuits and would go into levitating delights when he had one.

I also liked QuickDraw McGraw in his El Kabong persona.

I'm a big, big fan of Yosemite Sam.

Does anyone remember George Pal Puppetoons with the little black boy, Jasper?  They'd probably be considered a bit racist today; but I mostly remember them as sort of surreal.

Though they've done some animated features with this character, he largely remains a comic strip character...I'm talking about Asterix the Gaul.  

His animated features fall far short of the exquisite brilliance of his comic strip adventures.  Almost all are detailed in a series of about thirty or forty books. Though French in origin, the British translations are hysterical, full of puns and British verbal humour.   They concern a small but mighty Gaul, Asterix, and his bulky pal, Obelix, and their druid pal, Getafix...during the Roman occupation of Gaul under Julius Caesar.  Very funny stuff.  The characters were also in a live-action film where Obelix was played by Gerard Depardieu...I've never seen it, but I believe it was so successful in Europe, where these characters are immensely popular, that they were doing a sequel.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 10:12:27 AM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #34 on: July 05, 2004, 10:30:06 AM »

...I usually make a biscotti recipe I like very much, made with a little brandy and toasted almonds....
Just a little brandy gets into the biscotti?

And for the rest?  Inquiring minds want to know!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: July 05, 2004, 10:32:02 AM »

...It's overcast, but this being LA....
Overcasting is what, I believe, our esteemed BK would like to be.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #36 on: July 05, 2004, 10:32:27 AM »

Forgot to say that I used to watch Mighty Mouse when I was a kid. Sometimes I'd sing the theme to myself on the way to school and become MM. I also like Porky Pig - perhaps because of my love for Freddy the Pig and thus all pigs. More later.

Panni

« Reply #37 on: July 05, 2004, 10:41:03 AM »

Second thing I forgot to mention - Re biscotti - Friends of mine in Boulder went into the biscotti business a few years ago. The man's name was Wallace, so they called the company "Wally Biscotti"... they've been quite successful. The Wally biscotti come in a variety of deevine flavors and can be ordered online. You can check it out at
http://www.wallybiscotti.com/

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #38 on: July 05, 2004, 10:42:58 AM »

My favorite cartoon character is Goofy.  His excursions into the "How To..." shorts are marvelously creative.

My favorite two shorts are, however, the creations of Chuck Jones, who was (IMO) the best shorts director ever.  Second favorite short starred Bugs Bunny, in "Baton Bunny."  Once again, we find our hero at the Hollywood Bowl.  This time, however, he is the orchestral contuctor, and his foes are an errant fly, his formal cuffs, and ultimately himself.  Yep, faced with himself as his foe, he ends up losing, for once!

Much more creative, however, was "Little Brown Jug," which starred none of the usual suspects, but took place upon a page of music, with the notes themselves the characters.  Everything was going fine within this community, until one of the notes showed up drunk!  It's the sort of story that can only be told with animation.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #39 on: July 05, 2004, 10:44:41 AM »

I went into yesterday's repast and festivities during yesterday's posts.  If anyone has missed them, please feel free to glance backwards and find them.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #40 on: July 05, 2004, 10:47:56 AM »

Posted last night by Dear Reader George:

I had to post this one post.  At my last post, Jay and I were tied with 1402 posts each!  Now I've just passed him!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #41 on: July 05, 2004, 10:48:14 AM »

Confidential to Dear Reader George:

Jay

« Reply #42 on: July 05, 2004, 10:48:21 AM »

Eat

Jay

« Reply #43 on: July 05, 2004, 10:48:35 AM »

your

Jay

« Reply #44 on: July 05, 2004, 10:48:43 AM »

heart

Jay

« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2004, 10:48:52 AM »

out.

Jay

« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2004, 10:49:28 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D[/move]

Emily

« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2004, 10:50:25 AM »

LMAO Jay :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2004, 11:01:26 AM »

Last night's concert and fireworks were fun.  The best part of the concert was when they played the marching songs for each branch of the U.S. armed forces and the members and veterans of each branch stood to accept the audience's applause as their song was played.

Worst part of the evening:  sitting in bumper to bumper traffic at midnight on the Santa Ana Freeway.

Jay

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2004, 11:01:51 AM »

Don't tell my rabbi, but last night for dinner I had a raw bar platter:  crab claws, oysters and shrimp on ice.  It was delish!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2004, 11:02:51 AM »

Danise, do you have the day off?
CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR NEW POSITION!!

MBarnum have you heard of sunscreen?

I just remembered I also like CASPER THE (FRIENDLY-which was it?) GHOST.  I have always been a purist when it comes to the classics and never cared for the children’s versions.

Panni I have never seen so many varieties of flavored biscotti.  When we lived in Michigan a local woman make the largest Mandelbrot I have ever seen, adding white chocolate and dried cherries or a variety of combinations.  They were wonderful.

Jay- ;D

Jane

« Reply #51 on: July 05, 2004, 11:05:26 AM »

Just a little brandy gets into the biscotti?

And for the rest?  Inquiring minds want to know!

:D Only a few sips or I would screw up the bicotti.  I do keep sniffing it cause it smells soooo good.

Jennifer

« Reply #52 on: July 05, 2004, 11:06:43 AM »

Wow, it took me a while to catch up on all of yesterday's posts.  I had only read page one.

Had a very busy day yesterday.  Did some shopping.  Got some new summer sandals for only $9.97.  Then accidently bought a maternity top.  It was on liquidation for $5 and put in with all the regular clothes.  I only realized the mistake after in the car.  But I just tightened the back and cut out the tag and it's fine now. :)

Spent part of the afternoon at the pool with some relatives.

Then invited them for an impromptu BBQ.  With no notice.

Went pretty well considering I only got home at 6pm. Dinner was served at 7pm.

Then watched the Macys fireworks.  I hated what they did to the Broadway performers.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #53 on: July 05, 2004, 11:13:25 AM »

Job vibes to JRand! ~~~~~~~~~~~

My brother is watching TV. He keeps changing the channel every few seconds. There's a lot of trash on TV. The best thing on is an infomercial for the Tempur-Pedic mattress. I like the part when the pitcher throws an egg at the mattress.

My favorite cartoon is, of course, Arthur. Art Garfunkel appeared on today's episode.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jane

« Reply #54 on: July 05, 2004, 11:18:16 AM »

Jennifer it’s a good thing you are handy.  Do you make your own clothes as well?

Sandra what is Arthur?

Jay

« Reply #55 on: July 05, 2004, 11:20:11 AM »

On the topic o' the day:

I can't say I am as familiar with the oeuvre as I'd like to be, but I am completely enthralled every time I see a cartoon out of the Max Fleischer studio.  I especially enjoy the shorts featuring Miss Betty Boop.  Many of the ones I've seen are totally subversive which, as you might imagine, appeals in great measure to my very warped sense of humor.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 12:00:48 PM by Jay »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #56 on: July 05, 2004, 11:21:05 AM »

Thanks to Sandra, Jane, Panni, and MB for the good vibes!

I ate hot dogs yesterday and a ham sandwich.  It was all good!  CNN crawl last night said that over 100 million people in the US planned to celebrate July 4th with a BBQ or picnic!

I liked Bugs Bunny....What's Opera, Doc?  And Daffy Duck when he was trying to get into the movies....and also when he and Porky Pig had to share a hotel room during the war....."wouldn't ya know it, the bed's too low..."

On tv I also liked Quicks Draw and Baba Looey....Yogi Bear and BooBoo....and of course Rocky & Bullwinkle.  Bullwinkle J. Moose of course went to Whatsamatta U and lived in Frostbite Falls, MN.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #57 on: July 05, 2004, 11:21:26 AM »

Good morning all.

Hope you all had a very happy and safe 4th.  I'm pleased to report that Rescue Remedy worked like a charm and we spent a very peaceful evening.  No barking, no running around like a mad dog, no panic and Bear acted like nothing was going on either.   ;)

RESCUE REMEDY!!  That's it!!  My sister reminded me (last night) that I had told her about some product that would calm down dogs (her dog, Murphy, barks at just about any sound that he can't see) and I said that I don't remember what it's called but that I would ask on HHW, since that's where I first heard about it, but now I don't have to.  And by the time I got home last night, I forgot to ask.  Danise, thanks for inadvertantly letting me know what I was going to ask about!  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #58 on: July 05, 2004, 11:25:36 AM »

Arthur is a cartoon on PBS. It's based on a series of kids' books about an eight year old aardvark-kid and his friends. It's educational.

Now Andy Dick is eating a papaya live on TV. People are laughing. I don't get it.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Danise

« Reply #59 on: July 05, 2004, 11:31:52 AM »

Whew! Just got done taking my 2nd shower of the day.  I  came in from cutting down some brush and trees that were growing on the other side of our fence.  I know it's not really mine but if I don't keep ahead of it then I have full grown trees to deal with down the road.  The people who own the lot never take care of it except to mow out the center part.  They don't do any trimming along the edges.  

My arms and legs are burning/itching something awful.  I hope I didn't get in to anything.

Thank you for the congrats, Jane. I’m really pleased with it but at the same time I feel bad for all the men who do such hard physical work yet are making so much less than I am.    The poor laborers make the lowest amount of money but do the nastiest work.  Like what I just came in from doing.  I can’t imagine having to that for hours on end with out a shower.  Somehow it just doesn’t seem fair.  

JRand, my very best wishes for a wonderful  job!   :)

« Last Edit: July 05, 2004, 11:32:25 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up