Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOYCOTTING THE PIT BULL  (Read 21526 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BOYCOTTING THE PIT BULL
« on: August 02, 2004, 12:01:30 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know that I am mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore, and now it is time to post until the boycotted cows come home.  To it, my pretties.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 11:59:49 PM by bk »

Tomovoz

Re:BOYCOTTING THE PIT BULL
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2004, 12:15:41 AM »

Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
The Song's Gotta Come From The Heart
It's Magic
Teach Me Tonight
September Of My Years
Call Me Irresponsible
Five Minutes More

(I could probably list another 50 or so!).
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2004, 12:17:31 AM »

As for boycotts... I still have yet to eat at a Cracker Barrel restaurant - no matter how many times I'd find myself at one when the bus stopped on while on tour.  *I'd usually end up walking across the street and/or highway to Waffle House anyway.  And even though I don't even recall the specifics of the whole anti-gay Cracker Barrel issue, I'm just not interested in eating there.  Home cooking is truly available in a home.  When I want "greasy spoon", I go to a greasy spoon.
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2004, 12:18:06 AM »

I have boycotted a particular road system here in Melbourne - I object to paying tolls for roads that were toll free to start with and incorporated into a toll road.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 12:35:24 AM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2004, 12:24:57 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo), Jose is doing a bang-up job, both of playing the show and putting up with my weirdnesses and unyielding pickiness.  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2004, 12:25:52 AM »

Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry
The Song's Gotta Come From The Heart
It's Magic
Teach Me Tonight
September Of My Years
Call Me Irresponsible
Five Minutes More

(I could probably list another 50 or so!).

Ditto. ;)

I remember falling in love with "Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out To Dry" when I was around nine or ten years old.  It appeared in an issue of Sheet Music Magazine - which I think was featuring Jule Styne songs - or maybe it was Sammy Cahn?  Just such a "neat" melody, and the verse has always been a favorite of mine too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2004, 12:30:46 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo), Jose is doing a bang-up job, both of playing the show and putting up with my weirdnesses and unyielding pickiness.  

Thank you.

However, that begs the question: Is their such a thing as a director who is NOT weird and picky?

;)

OH!!!  And the stuff we recorded earlier today... I think you'll like it very much.  VERY much.  I should have a preliminary copy for you tomorrow/today.  -And I'll even try my best to bring you some pie too!  Although, I don't think the extra whipped cream would hold up too well on the Metro ride over.

-Sorry for the tease, all you DRs.. you'll just have to come see the show!  ;D
« Last Edit: August 02, 2004, 12:35:07 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2004, 12:37:05 AM »

There is a Cracker Barrel restaurant here in Rehoboth Beach.  Der Brucer and I have eaten there once.  That was quite enough, because the food was just plain boring.  It would have been better if it had been seasoned with sawdust.

It is time for me to dogcott.  The dog, Buster, is waiting for me to get to bed, the cott.  Actually, he isn't so much waiting as already snoozing in the exact center of the bed.  I will have to sleep around him.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2004, 12:38:57 AM »

PIE!  The whipped cream will hold up fine, plus you can get extra in a cup.  PIE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2004, 12:39:35 AM »

I'm talkin' about PIE.  Now I won't be able to sleep on account of I'll be thinking about pie and that pit bull person.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2004, 12:42:55 AM »

Welcome four GUESTS.  We're talkin' about PIE.  We're talkin' about Sammy Cahn.  We're talkin' about boycotting.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 12:44:25 AM »

Pie?  Did I say pie?

PIE!

Extra Whipped Cream (in a cup)!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2004, 12:45:48 AM »

Coconut Cream, right?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2004, 12:46:23 AM »

Well, I guess I could always stop by there for breakfast since it's on my walk/way to the Metro stop... Hmmm...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2004, 12:47:04 AM »

PIE.  Coconut Cream, OF COURSE.  Why, if there were to be PIE, that would be my lunch and dinner foodstuff.  I would eat PIE all the livelong day and night whilst running lighting cues.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2004, 12:48:54 AM »

We got us some late-night denizens, baby.  We got us some postin' goin' on.  Now if only Tom Poston would do some postin' we'd really be going strong.

I am fading, however, but I shall hang around for another five minutes before heading off to bed.  Of course, I could also be footing off to bed or kneeing off to bed, but that's another story.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2004, 12:52:52 AM »

Well, if I'm to get up in time to have breakfast at The House of Pies and pick up some Pies at the House of Pies before heading to the theatre...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2004, 01:03:20 AM »

I was asleep. I woke up. Here I am.

I've done lots of girlcotts in my time. One of the more dramatic ones was at the Emmy Awards one year. I was nominated, along with the movie I wrote. The movie won, the director won, the co-star won, a number of other wins, but in one of those stupid "huh?" moments, the writer didn't win. Although I was disappointed, I actually could have lived with that. (I've posted about this before, but my fellow losers in the category were Neil Simon and Robert Bolt, so I was in excellent company.) But I couldn't live with what I conceived as the height of rudeness. Which is where the girlcotting came in. -- When the movie won for best of the year, the producer went up and thanked everybody from the caterer up, but left out the writer (me)! I was so livid that I got up - a seat filler immediately joined my husband - went into the lobby and never returned for the rest of the show. Refused to go back in, despite entrities. Paced around the lobby with smoke coming out my ears.
Now that I look back on it, it was a silly thing to do, but there you go. I was mad as hell and I wasn't going to take it any more. End of story. (Except that the producer and I are now working together agian for the first time in ten years and all is forgiven.)

I'm going to try to end the girlcott of my bed now and get back to sleep.

Panni

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2004, 01:06:07 AM »

Jose - While you're at it pick me up some pie, too, please.

Panni

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2004, 02:12:21 AM »

It's me again. Up again. Can't sleep. Plus I've been driven from the bedroom by Wonderdog's farts. I gave him some leftover turkey meatloaf earlier last night. He's never had turkey meatloaf before, so I guess his tummy is trying to figure it out. I don't think the producers will buy "I'm late handing in the script because the dog's farts left me too tired to write." :P

Danise

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2004, 03:46:21 AM »

In a hurry, as always but had to say how much your dog fart post cracked me up, Panni.  

I have two of them and sometimes..............

Well, some things are better not said.  Or smelt.    :D   :-X   ;D

Everyone have a nice day.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2004, 04:20:44 AM »

Best wishes with the ASSociate Producer.    :o  That attitude is so strange to me.  But then perhaps she does know more than anybody else, which is why she got the job....even though she is a good friend of one of the stars...oh well.  I will be interested to hear the outcome.

New stuff on the personal front....things happening.  Well we can hardly wait to hear!  ;D

Sammy Cahn....ah!  Well I will leave a few for the other DRs, but just using the word "favorite" well, in NO particular order:

The Tender Trap
High Hopes
Love is a Many Splendored Thing
The Second Time Around
Love and Marriage

And as I said, I will leave a FEW for others to write about.  BUT if I had to choose ONE - it would be "High Hopes" which I have loved from the first moment I heard it....and learned to sing by listening to it just a few times!

Boycott?  Of course, theaters with rude box office personnel.  Forget it - directors, producers, and anyone else (artistic directors, etc) should try calling their own box offices incognito sometime and just listen to how the public is treated.  I am sure it will be an eyeopener.  And I am NOT a troublesome or demanding patron.  I just want tickets to the show!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2004, 04:47:46 AM »

No new radio show (at least there is not a new one at 7:45am today)! It's like Charles Nelson Reilly in How to Succeed and Coffee Break.

In the late 70s I stopped drinking and eating all forms of orange juice and other citrus products due to the efforts of Miss Anita Bryant. I have since resumed my intake of said products.

There are a couple of stores which I refuse to patronize here in the city. I would have to be dying and they would have to be the only store in the universe to have the antidote for me to ever darken the door again. It is all due to mean, rude, unpleasant clerks. I'm sure by now those idiots don't even work at the store any longer, but the fact that they were allowed any kind of employment and someone in management didn't look at them and say "how have you survived this long with that attitude" means that they don't give a rat's patootie about the customer and I, therefore, do not give a rat's patootie about giving them my business.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2004, 05:28:57 AM »

Oh and of course, "The Faithful Heart" which I love to hear on that CD of all CD's - Jeepers Creepers.

Any new DR who doesn't have it yet, should check it out!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2004, 06:07:04 AM »

My absolutely favorite Cahn song is "Teach Me Tonight".  I also like "I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry".

When I was in college, I got on a high horse about the ticket price of the RSC's Nicholas Nickleby.  Our theatre department organized a trip to go see it at a greatly reduced price, but I refused to go along.  Stupid!  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  I will never live down that regret.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2004, 06:08:05 AM »

I boycot any project with Will Smith due to some remarks he made when he was cast (mis)cast in the film version of 6 DEGREES.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2004, 06:09:32 AM »

DR TCB--your full picture is WONDERFUL!  You should try to resize it and use it in total as your avatar.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2004, 06:20:25 AM »

JRand (and anyone else who might be interested):  The new recording of MAN WITH A LOAD OF MISCHIEF (based on the Mufti version with some re-casting) has just been released.  Footlight.Com has it and I assume that it is available on other sites as well.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2004, 07:01:40 AM »

I like Teach Me Tonight as a pop song, and Can't You Just See Yourself as a theatre song.

I try to avoid Starbucks at all costs, but sometimes it's impossible.  I used to love the individual mom-and-pop run coffee bars, but too many have been put out of business by "the name you know."

For a long time, I felt that Broadway revivals of musicals were killing off the new musicals, and so I wouldn't pay to see one.  It's another thing people have argued with me for years: Everytime the Broadway investment community's money goes in to reviving a show, those resources (and that theatre) could have been used for something wholly new.  If an art form lets the revisiting of the old elbow out the presentation of the new, the new shrivels up and evaporates.  We can't let that happen.

That said, I'm sure I would have had a better time at Little Shop of Horrors than Dracula the other night.  And a friend of mine is in the Shop cast!  But they can't all be gems, folks.  The percentage of new Broadway musicals making a profit is just the same as it's always been, and that means that a lot don't succeed.  Generally, revivals are of shows that, it's already been established, people want to see.

Re: Send Me No Flowers.  I'm confused.  Can someone post the names of the writers of the play version and the movie version?  And who's the father of Panni's friend.  Wasn't Norman Barrasch involved somewhere?
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2004, 07:09:29 AM »

Last night, S. Woody wrote: "They were wearing spandex, and you were looking at their CHESTS? "

Yes, believe it or not, that's the biggest turn-on for me (since you seemed surprised I wasn't checking out baskets or other portions of their anatomies). Say what you want about me, but you can NEVER say I'm a size queen.

(Remember, you brought up this topic, not I).
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up