Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BOYCOTTING THE PIT BULL  (Read 21527 times)

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
Re:BOYCOTTING THE PIT BULL
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2004, 07:49:18 AM »

Of course, false accents abound in Gilbert and Sullivan.  It is one of the things that limits their popularity today (and they're still VERY popular...that's how good they were).

Gilbert virtually invented the funny theatre lyric in our language.  Before he succeeded in writing operettas, his light verse was frequently published.  Amusing rhymes that look good on paper, but don't really register in the theatre, are found in all of his works for stage.

When I wrote my musical in the style of Gilbert & Sullivan, I had to resist the urge to copy this.  Yes, there had to be patter songs, and, throughout the show, the rhymes had to come every few syllables (think how many rhymes there are in The Moon and I) . . . but I knew a modern audience wouldn't sit still for lyrics they didn't "get" on first hearing.

The great generation of American lyricists that came of age in the 1920s (Harburg, Hart, Ira Gershwin, Howard Dietz, Porter, Fields, etc.) all loved Gilbert and Sullivan, but, it's clear to me, they knew that contemporary American audiences would need to understand their clever rhymes right away.  So, in this great era of American song, false accents are relatively rare.

Just thinking of The Moon and I, now, one of my favorite songs.  It begins:

The Sun, whose rays are all ablaze
With ever-living glory
Does not deny his majesty;
He scorns to tell the story.
He don't exclaim, "I blush for shame,
So kindly be indulgent,"
But fierce and bold in fiery gold
He glories all effulgent.

Here in 2004, a lyricist can't afford to accent majesty on its third syllable, (with a long "i" yet!) or use a word as obscure as effulgent.

But, if you want to believe Hampton and Black's Thames/requiems rhyme was an in-period homage to Gilbert, it's fine with me.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2004, 07:56:25 AM »

Re: Send Me No Flowers.  I'm confused.  Can someone post the names of the writers of the play version and the movie version?  And who's the father of Panni's friend.  Wasn't Norman Barrasch involved somewhere?

The play was written by Norman Barasch & Carroll Moore
The screenplay by Julius Epstein
(And Norman Barasch's son, Marc, a fine writer, himself - Google him and you'll see - is my best male (platonic) friend.)

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2004, 07:59:19 AM »

I boycot any project with Will Smith due to some remarks he made when he was cast (mis)cast in the film version of 6 DEGREES.

WEL - I've not seen this movie, although I was a big fan of the play.
What were Will Smith's remarks?
What actor would have been right(er) for the role?

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2004, 08:03:20 AM »

The play [Send Me No Flowers] was written by Norman Barasch & Carroll Moore
The screenplay by Julius Epstein
(And Norman Barasch's son, Marc, a fine writer, himself - Google him and you'll see - is my best male (platonic) friend.)

Ah!  That's what I thought.
My parents were good friends with the Barasches before they moved back East

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2004, 08:23:59 AM »

I don't think Sammy Cahn wrote the lyrics to "Love Is a Many Splendored Thing."

"All the Way" is my favorite of his. I also like "It's Magic" very, very much.

One of the things I really didn't like during Sammy's last years was his habit of taking his songs (and those of others) and plugging new lyrics into them, often lyrics that were so lame and so badly written just to make a joke that it seemed to me to denegrate the song. Obviously, others loved these comic revisions as he was constantly doing them during his last decade of life, but I really despised them.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2004, 08:26:33 AM »

Coming later today, another George Eads/CSI pic. I was greatly relieved when he was reinstated on the show (along with Jorja Fox).

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2004, 08:29:42 AM »

Good morning all
I am still in the burg of Ellen, about to head back to the other side of the mountains to get to work.  But I'm up rather early, so I have plenty of time.  The reason I was up so early is that my sister called, needing the phone # of the house in Vermont where my parents are staying.  And the reason she needed that is that her car was stolen this morning from outside her store in Seattle.  Poor kid...I swear, she has the worst car-karma of anyone I've ever met.  But this car happened to be one that my parents had lent her...when the one she shares with her boyfriend got in a wreck (for the third time)  Since she got the car three months ago, she's had two parking tickets, one flat tire, backed into someone iin a parking lot, and now the car has been stolen...oy.  

TOTD - I'll post on this when I get to work.

I actually fell asleep while on the computer last night.  I had brought my father's laptop to the bed with me so I could sprawl on my stomach and use it...last thing I remember is chatting with a friend at about 2:15...the next thing I knew, it was daylight.  I woke up with my left hand still on the keyboard, and the battery power of the laptop totally drained.  Guess I was more tired than I'd thought!

Off to shower and drive...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2004, 09:10:24 AM »

WEL - I've not seen this movie, although I was a big fan of the play.
What were Will Smith's remarks?
What actor would have been right(er) for the role?

When Smith was filming Six Degrees, he balked at having to actually do a kissing scene with another actor, although he was playing a gay character.  His reasoning was that his fans wouldn't be able to accept it.  It's a shame, because he does deliver a pretty good performance otherwise.  I would have still preferred Courtney Vance, but I guess he was deemed too old at that point to play a young hustler on film.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2004, 09:15:17 AM »

Not only did he refuse to do it (even though he was familiar with the play when he accepted the role), as I understand it, he took the role telling the director he WOULD have no trouble with the scene in question only to balk later, allegedly following friend Denzel Washington's advice, "Don't be kissing no man on screen."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2004, 09:16:29 AM »

It's me again. Up again. Can't sleep. Plus I've been driven from the bedroom by Wonderdog's farts. I gave him some leftover turkey meatloaf earlier last night. He's never had turkey meatloaf before, so I guess his tummy is trying to figure it out. I don't think the producers will buy "I'm late handing in the script because the dog's farts left me too tired to write." :P

One thing I have discovered...farts are never not funny! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2004, 09:17:38 AM »

It's me again. Up again. Can't sleep. Plus I've been driven from the bedroom by Wonderdog's farts. I gave him some leftover turkey meatloaf earlier last night. He's never had turkey meatloaf before, so I guess his tummy is trying to figure it out. I don't think the producers will buy "I'm late handing in the script because the dog's farts left me too tired to write." :P

My sister has a dog (Murphy) and EVERY time he farts, he surprised himself!  It's as if he has no idea what just happened.  It's hysterical!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2004, 09:18:03 AM »

Sammy Cahn - Some faves I can think of...
Time After Time; The Tender Trap; April in Paris; Three Coins in the Fountain; Pocketful of Miracles; Let it Snow; and already mentioned: September of My Years and I Guess I'll Hang My Tears Out to Dry.

Emily

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2004, 09:28:15 AM »

I'm at work alone because my fellow employees have all abandoned me (who's only in for half a day aujourd'hui) for lunch.

So I'm getting back at them by posting here instead of data-entering in our brand spanking new database.  How's that for rebellion? :)

DR Andrea, who does still read the board, is coming to meet me once my shift is over.  We shall lunch on cheap drug-front sushi.  Mmmmmm....

I don't think I've ever actually boycotted anyone or anyplace.  I mean, there really isn't much of a point - especially when it comes to commercial entities (and especially especially when it comes to HUGE commercial entities like Nike or The Gap).  

I know that back in the early 90s when the Royal Bank of Canada let my current employer place pro-gun control petitions in its branches that the gun nuts in this country started a boycott of the company.  RBC is still around though - so that was one boycott which didn't work :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2004, 09:35:40 AM »

Noel, I believe the original question was the connection between Doris and Burt Bacharach and someone else.  The answer was Send Me No Flowers.  The title song for the film is by Mr. Bacharach, sung by Doris.  Is that the confusion?

Also confusion: the spelling gremlins - is it boycot or boycott?
And, it has been pointed out to me, that I misspelled "principal" in the notes.  That is not correct, I did not misspell "principal" I misUSED principal.  I meant to use principle but it was late and I didn't catch my mistake.  But, this is the problem with the English language - two words which sound alike but which are spelled differently and mean different things.  I hate to cadge from Mr. Benjamin Kritzer, but that just bugs me.  And I'm not fixing it - I'm leaving it there in defiance.  Defiance, by the way (BTW, in Internet lingo) is located a mere twelve miles from Tarnation.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2004, 10:10:01 AM »

Good Morning!

Well, I'm about to jump in the shower in order to get ready to head out...  And get some PIE!!!

See you there!

I'll most likely be out most of the day... Be sure to have some pie for yourselves too!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2004, 10:14:37 AM »

Oh, and as for the "packages" on/of the men in the MAMMA MIA! curtain call/sing-along/dance-along...  They always make me laugh - and sometimes the cast laugh too.  The costume designers certainly have a creative use of spandex and cotton balls/socks/foam/etc.  ;)  I even seem to remember one time where one of the guys was making a curtain speech during the BC/EFA fundraising drive season, and he remarked that he had just been given a new "enhancement" by his dresser... Then he stood in profile to show it off!  :D

OK... Time to run for PIE!!
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2004, 10:15:24 AM »

It's "boycott"... And Defiance is FIFTEEN miles from Tarnation. Twelve miles from Tarnation is Disobedience. People often get confused and lost

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2004, 10:27:43 AM »

I won't eat at Carl's Jr. or purchase Coors beer.  Although Carl Karcher and the Coors family are no longer involved in the management of these two companies, they still hold a good deal of their stock.  Company profits profit them, and they donate too much of their money to right wing causes to which I am opposed.

Like Dear Reader Ben, I, too, will avoid establishments that do not treat me with the respect that is due a customer.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #48 on: August 02, 2004, 10:37:48 AM »

TCB not only do you look very handsome in focus but you look much younger.
Thanks for the pic. :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2004, 10:38:11 AM »

And, it has been pointed out to me, that I misspelled "principal" in the notes.  That is not correct, I did not misspell "principal" I misUSED principal.  I meant to use principle but it was late and I didn't catch my mistake.  But, this is the problem with the English language - two words which sound alike but which are spelled differently and mean different things.  I hate to cadge from Mr. Benjamin Kritzer, but that just bugs me.  And I'm not fixing it - I'm leaving it there in defiance.  Defiance, by the way (BTW, in Internet lingo) is located a mere twelve miles from Tarnation.

Just remember what Mary Richards once said:  the principal of your school is your pal.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2004, 10:46:22 AM »

I boycot any project with Will Smith due to some remarks he made when he was cast (mis)cast in the film version of 6 DEGREES.
He has since appologized for those remarks.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2004, 10:47:10 AM »

Glad someone answered my Will Smith question before I had a chance, but that is basically it.  He got a lot of flack in the press at the time and never really appologized forhis homophobic attitude.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2004, 10:49:59 AM »

Last night, S. Woody wrote: "They were wearing spandex, and you were looking at their CHESTS? "

Yes, believe it or not, that's the biggest turn-on for me (since you seemed surprised I wasn't checking out baskets or other portions of their anatomies). Say what you want about me, but you can NEVER say I'm a size queen.

(Remember, you brought up this topic, not I).

Hmmm.  It DOES seem a waste of good spandex.

(Even if "good spandex" is an oxymoron.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2004, 10:50:41 AM »

Welcome eleven GUESTS.  We're talkin' about PIE.  We're talking about Cahn.  We're talkin' about boycotting.

And I'm off to the theater for an entire day of light cues.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2004, 10:54:47 AM »

Smith DID appologize.  The appology never got the press that the original remarks received.  (He also admitted he was wrong to refuse the kiss, and that his doing so hurt the film.)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2004, 10:55:21 AM »

That's funny - eleven GUESTS became five GUESTS within forty seconds of my saying hello.  Yes, that is mighty funny.

Jennifer

« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2004, 11:00:11 AM »

BK, I love reading about the show.  It's sort of like your very own Juliana's Journal.  Btw, how is she doing?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: August 02, 2004, 11:03:41 AM »

There's a restaurant in these parts called Crabby Dick's.  

Yes, that's it's name, Crabby Dick's.

Specializing in seafood, the owners are trying to have things both ways.  They are claiming to be a family restaurant, but have a big sign out front, along Highway One, where they have posted some of the worst double-entendre slogans der Brucer and I have seen.  (Such as "Pop our crab balls in your mouth" which was then followed by a phrase that was just plain dirty.  :P)

Der Brucer thought that he was maybe on the eccentric fringe, finding the signage offensive.  Lo and behold, the local paper, the Cape Gazette, printed several letters protesting the sign, and joined in with an editorial of their own.

Crabby Dick's has not appologized, of course, but has toned down their sign, emphasizing their "family" image.  But they're still trying to have it both ways, now by proclaiming themselves as "famous" because of the sign controversy.

The problem is, boycotting the place really isn't worth the time.  Their food is simply below average, and not worth paying for.  (Der B and I sampled their wares on opening day, before the sign showed signs of being significantly sub-witty.)  We're just not going back, is all.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #58 on: August 02, 2004, 11:04:25 AM »

I am eating a nice healthy breakfast of super-extra buttery popcorn and a Cherry Coke. I didn't get out of futon until 10:30 after Arthur was over. I am really living it up until school starts.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Ben

« Reply #59 on: August 02, 2004, 11:11:00 AM »

Sandra, if you were in New York, you could watch Arthur at 4pm on Channel 13-WNET and then again at 5pm on Channel 21-WLIW. Sometimes, if I ride the exercise bike in the late afternoon (which I'll try to do if we're going out later in the evening), I'll watch an Arthur. "D DOUBLE U" (you gotta watch the show to know what that means and it's phonentic too).
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up