Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OPENING NIGHT  (Read 18313 times)

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
Re:OPENING NIGHT
« Reply #60 on: August 13, 2004, 09:22:17 AM »

AND ONE FOR THE WHAT IF? GANG!!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: August 13, 2004, 09:23:32 AM »

I know our new associate producer spoke to him, but he was a complete and utter idiot on the phone and she told him she was going to talk to his boss today and hung up on him.  We since have two other services working with us and they're already MUCH better.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #62 on: August 13, 2004, 09:26:54 AM »

In my VCR:  DR Panni's (a.k.a. Anna) TIGER CRUISE

In my CD player at work:  Weird Romance, then The Musical of Musicals:  The Musical (great idea, Ben).

In my DVD player:  "The Manchurian Candidate" (I still haven't seen the original...and I bought it!), then the silent movie "Sunrise" with Janet Gaynor.  It has an alternate score by former Olympia resident Timothy Brock and it was recorded by the Olympia Chamber Orchestra, based in Olympia, Washington!  I met Tim quite a few times!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #63 on: August 13, 2004, 09:38:34 AM »

My idea of a fantasy.

What if Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner showed up on opening night of a fabulous revue you put together - and they laughed at all the right places?

Congratulations again! You did it, BK!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: August 13, 2004, 09:44:09 AM »

Only seventy-something more posts until we achieve our new landmark.  

I managed to get an additional two hours sleep, but it's not enough and I'll try to grab another hour during the day at some point.  I have to do a phone interview for the show at noon, so not till after that.  And I MUST get me some Diet Coke in the next half-hour.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #65 on: August 13, 2004, 09:44:29 AM »

Congratulations on a successful, adulatory opening night, BK!!!

BK was caught committing adulatory - oh, for shame!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #66 on: August 13, 2004, 09:52:21 AM »

... bobulated...

Nice word, a plastic surgeon's term I believe:

A cup to D cup = "Boobulated"
A cup to C cup = "Bobulated"

der Brucer (presuming nobody would make a major investment in A cup to B cup)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 09:57:20 AM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: August 13, 2004, 09:56:45 AM »

Perhaps someone who's taken chemistry can explain.  Yeah, chemistry.

You're welcome to join Jenny in my "Chemistry for Artistes" seminars.

der Brucer

Danise

« Reply #68 on: August 13, 2004, 10:04:47 AM »

Hi folks,

Just wanted to pop in before things get really bad.  Nothing so far but I hear thunder in the distance and the sky to the south is turning very, very dark.

Here are a couple of links to some local news so you can keep up with what's going on if you want to.

Channel 28 news

Tampa Bay Online

Right now it looks like Charley is coming right up into Tampa Bay.  A 10 to 15 foot storm surge is expected.    Thank goodness I don't live anywhere near the water but the rain and the winds will still be bad.

I've been a very busy bee this morning.  I mowed the grass back and front yard so if snakes and other critters start to show up, they won't be hidden in the grass.

I just had my shower and have filled the bathtub up with water.  We're as ready as we can be.  

New Flash--as I type this the hurricane has been upgraded to a Cat 3!   :o

I would be a liar if I said I wasn't a bit scared.  I've been joking that on the plus side, if the house does get blown down, that might solve my moving problem.  I could just rebuild the type of house I want on the lot.   :)
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 10:10:25 AM by Danise »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ben

« Reply #69 on: August 13, 2004, 10:07:44 AM »

Mr. Morelli and I will be seeing this little production tonight

http://www.irishrep.org/

In case you don't go to the Web site, it's "Let's Put on a Show!", the Mickey Rooney bio musical he's doing with his wife Jan. I got free tickets from Equity. I have no idea what to expect. Judging from his recent mime performance in the commercial for supplemental senior insurance, we could be in for quite a show.

Here's a little bit from the press release.

“Let’s Put On A Show” is a musical look at a legendary life. With music, humor, and video, Hollywood legend, Mickey Rooney relates the story of a life lived large. Mickey regales with tales of studios, movies, and, of course, the women in his life. He offers tributes to Ava Gardner, Judy Garland and culminates with his wife of over 25 years, Jan Rooney. Jan offers her own tribute to Patsy Cline.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 10:09:46 AM by Ben »

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: August 13, 2004, 10:29:39 AM »

DR Danise good vibes to you ~~~~~~~~~~!

Speaking of rain and thunderstorms, the weirdest thing happened here the other evening.  Huge chunks of ice came down with the rain.  This was in 85F temps. It was so bizarre.

MBarnum

« Reply #71 on: August 13, 2004, 10:30:22 AM »

Wow, congrats to BK, Jose, and the cast and crew of WHAT IF. What a wonderful opening night, and what excitement!

and a super happy birthday to DR Stuart!!

MBarnum

« Reply #72 on: August 13, 2004, 10:31:47 AM »

Media check:

CD: Lynn Anderson: Rose Garden

DVD: Freaks

VHS: Libeled Lady

Danise

« Reply #73 on: August 13, 2004, 10:39:29 AM »

Thank you, Jennifer.

And lest, I forget,

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :) :) :) A very, very happy Birthday to Stuart! :) :) :)[/move]

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: August 13, 2004, 10:42:26 AM »

Is Joely Richardson (from Nick/Tuck) Natasha Richardson's sister?

I nearly freaked when I heard the former doing an interview yesterday.  She has a British accent!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: August 13, 2004, 10:45:47 AM »

Punctual Panni she shall be known as henceforward.
Or, we could re-punctuate:

Punctual Panni, she shall be known as "Henceforward."

(An Alan Ayckbourn ref, perhaps?)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #76 on: August 13, 2004, 10:48:59 AM »

Good survival vibes to DRDANISE!

DRBEN - if I couldn't be at What If? - I would love to be at the Mick's show!  Sounds like great fun, too.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2004, 10:51:52 AM »

[size=50]Congratulations to our Esteemed BK
to Jose
and to everyone else connected with What If?[/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2004, 10:53:20 AM »

[size=20]Happy Birthday, DR Stuart![/size]

(Yet another fabulous fellow with his birthday during Birthday Week!)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2004, 10:57:06 AM »

Media Report:

DVDs:  I've been watching To Catch a Thief.  Nice piece on Edith Head included in the extras.

Last night, der Brucer picked up a copy of Kill Bill, Volume 2.  A question to all and sundry: is it necessary to have seen Kill Bill, Volume 1 to appreciate the second half of the film?

And, while he was at it, der B. also bought a new discman, with adaptor for use in the car.  What this will do to our in-car reading habits, I do not know.

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2004, 10:57:44 AM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader Stuart!

Congratulations to Jose, BK, and all the What If people.

I don't think I have anything else to say.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2004, 11:09:05 AM »

I have not yet seen Kill Bill Volume 2.  But I did see Kill Bill Volume 1.

I didn't like it except for what happened in the last minute.  That interested me and actually made me want to see Volume 2.

I think if someone summarizes #!, you would probably be okay.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2004, 11:09:13 AM »

Despite my computer problems, I'll dare a post.

WoW! WoW! WoW!  WHAT IF...was what BK does best!  The show was impeccable!  Impressively directed...full of nuances and touches that so many directors just gloss over these days.  The performers were not only all terrific singers, but also terrific actors...so important in a revue where there is no story line to carry you from one moment to the next, and each song is a little three or five minute story.  you can single each one of these great performers for individual moments; but they also worked brilliantly as an ensemble.  Jose's piano work was top-notch and for me there is nothing better than songs sung with single piano accompaniment.  It's very appealing to me.  The choreography was witty and sharp and immediately evoked the styles of the songs being parodied.  

Speaking of the songs.  Wonderful selection of lovely, rarely heard revue numbers.  Always wonderful to make new discoveries like these.  And there was a wonderful blending of sweetness, humour, and heartbreaking stuff.  Bruce's parody lyrics were spot on.  His What If Sondheim wrote for the Yiddish Theatre medley particularly clever.  Also his transitional material and bits were all extremely inventive.  The Coming Attractions is hysterical.  Winning performers, genius director, great show.  I had a terrific enjoyable time.  I want my original cast recording. Now!

BK, I'd be very interested where you thought the spots were you said you might do a little honing and re-working on.  Because the show seemed pretty flawless.

One of the funnier moments  last night, young Ryan opened the second act with an interaction with the audience and, much to his embarrassment, referred to access cable show-biz diva and host, Skip E. Lowe (autobiography:  The Boy With the Betty Grable Legs) as Madam.   I suspect it is not the first time Skip E. as been mistaken for a madam instead of a sir.  But Ryan recovered nicely and ad-libbed out of the situation very well.

The laughs throughout the night were uproarious and the attention riveting.  The Lovely Wife and I were in the front row on the aisle. With Mel and Carl across the aisle from us.  I could sneak an occasional look in their direction and they were thoroughly enjoying it.

At the party afterwards, the Toluca Lake Reviewer came up to and said she had been sitting behind me and that if she had had an opening, she'd want me in the opening night crowd, I was such a good audience with a hearty laugh.  I said it was easy to be a good audience when a show was as sharp and smart and good as this.

The most amazing feat is that this whole thing was done in about three and half weeks or something. It's so brightly polished and incisively executed.

The opening night crowd was very impressive.  I thought the PR guy had done a great job in getting such a distinguished bunch of first-nighters and a theatre-savvy crowd.  BK, I'm sure if you ever need butts in the seats (though I think it should run to capacity business), you can always entice The Lovely Wife and me back for another viewing or two.

I did go up to Mel Brooks during intermission and re-introduced myself and mentioned I had written a movie for him 20 years ago called THE FLY. He acted as though he might actually remember me and was very cordial and said I looked well and hadn't changed much.  I told him it was the dark lighting.  We also talked briefly about THE PRODUCERS.  I told him after all those sung-through Les Miz's and Lloyd Webbers, I was glad he'd brought back a good old fashioned, strong book musical.  He said  Richard Dreyfuss was going to be very good in the London production.  I told him I'd try to see it while I was there.  He didn't offer me any comps.

The party after was great!  Got to speak with all the cast members individually and compliment their performances.  Tammy introduce us to her parents...who are younger than us.  And her grandmother who isn't.  Met her boyfriend and we got enmeshed in an interesting screenwriting conversation.  Met other talented folk either connected with the production or who were connected to BK in some way.  We stayed longer than we intended, we were having such a good time.

All in all, an exquisite theatre outing!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2004, 11:12:18 AM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2004, 11:13:45 AM »

Congratulations on a successful opening night!

Vibes to Danise! We'll be thinking of you and following the news story. ~~~~~~~~~

Happy Birthday, Dear DR Stuart!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Ben

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2004, 11:23:46 AM »

Only 52 till 60,000. A stellar opening night and 60,000 posts. Who could ask for anything more?

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2004, 11:27:07 AM »

(Yet another fabulous fellow with his birthday during Birthday Week!)

I know a LOT of people with mid-August birthdays.  A lot!  

It took me a while, however, to arrive at the indisputable conclusion that Thanksgiving is a far more amorous holiday than I had previously realized.  
« Last Edit: August 13, 2004, 11:57:36 AM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2004, 11:34:06 AM »

Nice piece on Edith Head...

I know that the poor dear was rather mannish, but really!

And thank you to all the post-meridien birthday well wishers.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #88 on: August 13, 2004, 11:36:57 AM »

Bruce CONGRTATULATIONS ON YOUR SUCESSFUL OPENING NIGHT!  May each night be better than the previous!   How I would love to see the coming attractions.

And of course CONGRATS TO JOSE!  May this lead to continued good success!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #89 on: August 13, 2004, 11:42:03 AM »

DR Stuart - you're too funny!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up