Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: THE P PROBLEM  (Read 24644 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re:THE P PROBLEM
« Reply #60 on: August 27, 2004, 10:45:46 AM »

DRPANNI - you have a producer friend who worked with Danny Kaye AND Judy Garland....I am guessing it is someone from CBS.

Did you know that the season that CBS began both shows....there was some controversy about which show would play on Sunday at 9 pm opposite BONANZA and which show would get the Wednesday night slot...a bit safer ratings wise....  Judy went up against BONANZA....but what if she had had the Wednesday slot? Makes you think doesn't it?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #61 on: August 27, 2004, 10:49:40 AM »

Page Three Dance of the Atoms!

In honor of THE ALLIGATOR PEOPLE featuring Miss Beverly Garland, hotelier, and Mr. Richard Crane.  :P

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: August 27, 2004, 10:56:46 AM »

DerBrucer... The Wal-Mart story comes direct from some Disney employees as reported on the Jim Hill Disney website.  Wal-Mart will sell videos of films that do less than $100,000,000 at the box office, but they will not give them the major promotion or shelf space they save for the blockbusters.  At least this is what the article said...
Our local WalMart did give Brother Bear major shelf space, as in a separate display at the front of the store.  They even had a separate display for Treasure Planet when it was released, and that film was a bomb (as opposed to "da bomb").  If this doesn't count as major display, then I don't understand the phrase.

Further, [Home on the Range is already being given promotion on the WalMart website (at this writing, third down on their hot list).  HotR was not big business in the theaters, but I expect it will do well on the DVD and video front.

I'd suggest posting links to the articles you quote from Jim Hill et al.  It might give us a chance to evaluate what is being written.

Or give us a good laugh.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2004, 11:01:27 AM »

Miss Beverly Garland was so pert and perky as the mother of Kate Jackson on "The Scarecrow and Mrs. King."

And thinking of that reminded me of Ann Blythe pushing Hostess Cupcakes -- serving them to her guests on a silver platter (oh! those Hollywood upstarts!).

And that led to Miss June Allyson and the Depends commercials.  I suppose all that dancing....

After all, Johnny Mercer had to know what he was talking about when he wrote "Something's Gotta Give."

("Gotta go! Gotta go! Gotta go RIGHT NOW! Gotta go! Gotta go! Gotta go!")

Somebody STOP me.......please............
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2004, 11:04:39 AM »

My experience of Wal-Mart is, admittedly, rather limited.  I've seen some news stories, know they've sold guns, but most of what I know of Wal-Mart I learned from Barbara Ehrenreich's wonderful book, Nickled and Dimed.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2004, 11:06:04 AM »

Here is the link to Jim Hill story.  It claims that Wal-Mart did NOT give the heavy promotion to "Brother Bear".  Maybe the Wal-Mart you shop at makes up its own mind instead of listening to headquarters.

http://www.jimhillmedia.com/mb/articles/showarticle.php?ID=1049

I hope this doesn't turn this here site into CinemaScope.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #66 on: August 27, 2004, 11:19:10 AM »

The situation at chez Kimmel reminds me of

[size=12]URINETOWN[/size][/color]
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #67 on: August 27, 2004, 11:20:11 AM »

I can't figure out who is is going to have more fun this week, Marvin or Will.....

Ha!  I think it would be more fun to watch Will and Natalie at the sequester house than it will be to watch the real BB house. :)

Jennifer

« Reply #68 on: August 27, 2004, 11:22:18 AM »

Btw, for all CBS reality tv fans remember BB is NOT on this Saturday.  And it is on at 8pm on Tues. With TAR on at 9pm (Amazing Race).

Jennifer

« Reply #69 on: August 27, 2004, 11:23:43 AM »

Question, for those who saw BB last night.  In the HOH comp did you think that Marvin and Karen's balls went in at the same time?  I did.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: August 27, 2004, 11:25:04 AM »

WARNING! WARNING! More Big Brother 5 talk!!!

I was also might happy to see Natalie leave! I wish it would have been Adria, but Natalie is my second most disliked player.

DR Stuart, I agree that Michael should win viewers choice for the phone call...I think it would bring his spirits up a bit. I like Michael and think he is a heck of a nice guy.

I was very happy to see Marvin had won the last viewers choice. I knew he loved Y&R, so I wanted him to win!

And I love Karen...don't know that she is playing too well, but then she gets along with everyone and that does make for good strategy (although I doubt that was her strategy! LOL!)

Nikomis is the strongest player, I think. Drew could be a good player but he has had bad luck in choosing alliances and is keeps ending up between a rock and a hard place...and I suspect he is not happy with how he himself has been playing so far.

I'm not at all a fan of Michael's.  He allied himself with the so-called "4 horsemen" and basically sold his integrity along with them.  He willingly agreed to vote out Nakomis IF she were put up, agreeing that she had to go eventually.  As soon as Scott and Jase were out of the house and Adria was HOH, he immediately sucked up to Adria (and Natalie) and allied himself against his sister and her alliance.  I'm virtually certain he thinks he's better than she is and that he's embarrassed by her.  And it's Nakomis I pity for having him as a half-brother.  She's proven herself to be a formidable individual with strength and integrity.  Cowboy has, along with Drew, pretty much been a lapdog for those with power, running to the "ins" and reporting what everyone has said to him.  Drew does the same thing.

I'm voting, surprise! surprise! for Adria to win the call.  As much as I dislike the way she's played in the past couple of weeks, I think she deserves the call from her husband (or is he her boyfriend???).  If Michael is too homesick to carry on, he's free to leave the house at any time.

I also hold against him his absolute certainty that it would be "he" who would be America's choice for the "Young and Restless" appearance.  He has a degree of arrogance that is totally unwarranted given his faux cowboy persona.

That's my take on it all.  But I do respect others' impressions/interpretations and welcome any observations.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: August 27, 2004, 11:42:32 AM »

Okay all you BB watchers. Vote away for Cowboy:
America's Choice:
http://www.cbs.com/primetime/bigbrother5/

RLP wrote:
For "Big Brother" fans:  Ding! Dong!  One of the (w)itches is gone!    And now Natalie gets to spend a week ALONE in the sequester house with Will.  Very amusing.  I noted last night that he's selected the very place she and Adria can bunk down each night...an area of the patio that, as Will put it, is hard, cold and wet!

Marvin is my favorite player.  Nakomis is second.  I know Marvin isn't approachable for alliances (or he hasn't been), but he and Nakomis have been on the same track for some time.  I'm speculating wildly about who he might put up for eviction.  My thought is that Cowboy is one of them.  Whether he opts to continue the twin exorcism and put up Adria, or whether he throws the long-overdue Drew into the eviction pool is not clear at this point.  Drew desperately needs to learn what it feels like to be nominated.  He's the biggest wuss in the house and doesn't seem to have any clear-cut convictions.  Marvin truly doesn't like anyone in the house, but he despises Cowboy.  I'm also not clear where he stands on Karen and Diane, although he's been pretty critical of both in the past.  We won't "learn" (theoretically) until Tuesday night who he selected.

I can't believe how differently I think than the rest of you guys.

Marvin is not my favorite.

Karen is not my favorite.

Cowboy is not my favorite.

I really like Drew, and hope that Marvin doesn't nominate him or Adria.

You guys know I like Adria (and liked Natalie).  They are such strong women.  But they don't play both sides (like Diane, who I dislike).  And then are winners.

I do not know who Marvin would put up.  I'm thinking maybe Adria and Cowboy.

I know he won't put up Jen (nor should he, since she didn't put him up). I know he dislikes Karen.

I really hope he puts up Diane and Karen.  Or Diane and Cowboy.  He needs to split up Diane/Karen/Jen.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 12:05:55 PM by Jennifer »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #72 on: August 27, 2004, 11:43:28 AM »

Miss Beverly Garland was so pert and perky as the mother of Kate Jackson on "The Scarecrow and Mrs. King."

I agree.  I wasn't too fond of her on MY THREE SONS" but thought she was perfect, and looked better, on THE SCARECROW AND MRS. KING"

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #73 on: August 27, 2004, 11:44:36 AM »

Well, it's back to square one on the "unlistened to" shelf--my shipment from Footlight from the recent 15% off sale just arrived.  Oy.   ::)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: August 27, 2004, 11:45:56 AM »

Re: American's Choice.

I like someone who is married or with kids to get it.

It seems like Cowboy probably will.  Although I'd rather Adria got to talk to her husband for their anniversary.

I don't care if Marvin talks to him mom. Or Drew or Diane talk to their siblings.  Karen has a husband too.  But she just does nothing for me.  And I suppose they could let Jen talk to her bf.  But I"m guessing Cowboy is a lock?

Jane

« Reply #75 on: August 27, 2004, 11:48:44 AM »

So did traveling in Eastern Europe.  I was much better at finding free bathrooms than Keith was.  At the castle in Budapest I wasn’t so lucky.  Keith was complaining they charged more than anywhere else we had been.  I looked in and said I thought it was a unisex bathroom which prompted a laugh from Keith.  We walk in, to the right, behind a curtain was for the men.  Straight ahead, through a curtain was for women.  Technically I guess we were both correct.  There was a man roaming around keeping things clean.  I don’t think I have ever gone so quickly in my life.  ;D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2004, 11:49:41 AM »

Dan-in-Toronto, Penny O wrote of the time she was looking for a poem she had written when suddenly it arrived in the mail.  She had written it in high school at my house and I had saved it all these years, until I mailed it to her a few years ago at the precise time she needed it.

JMK you missed my post I had some major dental work.  I will make have to wait to bake the bread when I can actually open my mouth wide enough to eat it.  Oh the torture of waiting.

MBarnum, (who told me he found HHW thanks to one of my connections) I’m sorry you will miss the trip to LA.  Maybe we can plan our next trips there to coincide.  And yes, your brother is cool and I’m sorry we missed him.

Jennifer

« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2004, 11:57:18 AM »

I'm voting, surprise! surprise! for Adria to win the call.  As much as I dislike the way she's played in the past couple of weeks, I think she deserves the call from her husband (or is he her boyfriend???).  

Ha! You must have written this while I was typing my post.

Wow, I am surprised. Okay we finally agree on something.

Yep, I voted for Adria too.   It's her and her hubby's 6th wedding anniversary.

I also agree with what you said about Cowboy.  Although I think he does try to gravitate towards those who treat him well (drew/adria).  

I do disagree about Drew. I think he played both sides. But in a good way not like Diane. And he is his own person and voted against her to get rid of Will.

Is anybody else really annoyed with Diane. She goes on and on about Adria voting out Will.  My gosh, DIANE IS THE ONE WHO TOLD ADRIA TO NOMINATE WILL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: August 27, 2004, 11:57:43 AM »

Hollywood upstarts!).

And that led to Miss June Allyson and the Depends commercials.  I suppose all that dancing....

One of the few fun things on r.a.t.m. in the past few years was stunt casting threads.  Miss June Allyson put in an appearance in a number of them:

June Allyson in THE YELLOW ROLLS-ROYCE

June Allyson in THE WIZ

June Allyson in ON GOLDEN POND

June Allyson in GOLDEN RAINBOW

BIG RIVER with June Allyson

June Allyson in YOU KNOW I CAN'T HEAR YOU WHEN THE WATER'S RUNNING

and inevitably, June Allyson in URINETOWN

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: August 27, 2004, 12:02:06 PM »

I agree.  I wasn't too fond of her on MY THREE SONS" but thought she was perfect, and looked better, on THE SCARECROW AND MRS. KING"

I actually remember liking Miss Garland on MTS.  It was her creepy brat of a daughter Dodie I couldn't stand!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #80 on: August 27, 2004, 12:07:20 PM »

One of the few fun things on r.a.t.m. in the past few years was stunt casting threads.  Miss June Allyson put in an appearance in a number of them:

June Allyson in THE YELLOW ROLLS-ROYCE

June Allyson in THE WIZ

June Allyson in ON GOLDEN POND

June Allyson in GOLDEN RAINBOW

BIG RIVER with June Allyson

June Allyson in YOU KNOW I CAN'T HEAR YOU WHEN THE WATER'S RUNNING

and inevitably, June Allyson in URINETOWN

OK, so I was going to reply that June Allyson in ON GOLDEN POND is not such a stunt.....

But that was before I "got" the gist of the thread.....

Very funny.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: August 27, 2004, 12:09:04 PM »

Btw, what did you BB watchers think of what they showed of Marvin on Y&R.

I loved it (since that is one of my favorite shows).  I love seeing everything to do with backstage or how these shows work.

I loved how he interacted with all the cast members.  And cannot wait to see my tape of him today (monday in the US).

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: August 27, 2004, 12:10:10 PM »

And you know of course that Dodie was the real life sister of TA-DA:  Leif Garrett!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: August 27, 2004, 12:11:08 PM »

And of course the late Martha Raye and the lovely Jane Powell in The Bridge Over the River Kwai.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 12:11:40 PM by JRand54 »

Jennifer

« Reply #84 on: August 27, 2004, 12:11:16 PM »

Is anybody here going to see A LITTLE PRINCESS at theatreworks in SF?

I got an email a day or two ago saying things were going great.

Fingers crossed for Broadway.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: August 27, 2004, 12:12:07 PM »

Dan (the Man) I had forgotten about Dodie-thanks for reminding me, not. :P

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #86 on: August 27, 2004, 12:12:59 PM »

OK, so you know how I wrote in a couple of weeks ago that I found it deplorable that PHANTOM is co-opting CHORUS LINE's old "Remember your first time..." ad campaign?

Well, during the holidays (Christmas and Chanukah, not Rosh Hashanah and Yom Kippur) during the first year that the above referenced show was running (and remember, they were the cheeky-show-du-jour that year), they ran the following ad in the NYT, which I doubt any other show will ever be able to use:

(and remember it was a half page in the NYT:)

"In the meadow we can build a snowman,
And pretend that he is Parson Brown.
He'll say "Are you married?;" we'll say "No man,
But you can do the job when
URINETOWN"

I laughed til I.....well, you can imagine.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2004, 12:13:48 PM by Stuart »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: August 27, 2004, 12:22:02 PM »

Which DR can remember Miss Bette Davis' FIRST television commercial....which she did because she loved the product so much........

She was sitting on a boat swilling the stuff wearing dark glasses and looking all the world like Margaret Emery....

Ben

« Reply #88 on: August 27, 2004, 12:26:00 PM »

Ahh, so Monsieur François is among us. It's Friday afternoon, where have you been?  ;)

François de Paris

« Reply #89 on: August 27, 2004, 12:27:17 PM »

Dear reader writer Panni,

Me thinks BK is being pretty harsh on you lately!

"Hang in there".... we're behind you!

;)

Qui Bene Amat Bene Castigat... I guess!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up