Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER  (Read 19089 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
« on: October 01, 2004, 11:59:41 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you now have knowledge, hence you now have power, hence you may now post until the knowledgable cows come home.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 11:59:03 PM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2004, 12:12:36 AM »

The one thing I know nothing about in which I soon HAVE to be well versed is the use of my new digital camera.
Help!

Ben

« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 04:21:03 AM »

Oh, my what a slow Saturday. It is now 7:15 and the only post before that was from DR Panni at 03:12:36am. You'd think it was Friday night/Saturday morning or something.

We decided on the spur of the moment last night to have Chinese food for dinner. We will have the salmon tonight. We walked over to our favorite place, The Cottage and I had Baby Shrimp with Cashews (mmm, good) and Anthony had Sweet and Sour Chicken. They make a WONDERFUL SASC. You can see the chicken. There is very little breading (it doesn't come in clumps of deep fried breading with a hint of chicken) and the sauce is not sickeningly sweet. A very good choice. We also went to a place called Fishes Eddy. It's a discount store specializing in plates and glasses and silverware. They buy lots from restaurants that have gone out of business as well as other kinds of serving dishes. We got 4 nice new bowls in a blue similar to the background here at HHW. We will go to the uptown store to see if they have any other plates. We wanted new plates as well but they didn't have anything that jumped out and said "Buy Me". They have a larger store uptown so we may have more choice.

Well, I need to get back to work. Before I do, we have the pentultimate vacation picture. We went to an outdoor sculpture garden across from the Walker Art Center and took a picture of the Oldenburg Cherry and Spoon. Here it is.

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:15:21 PM by bk »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2004, 04:34:03 AM »

That is one scary ass picture to see this early in the morning!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 04:37:50 AM »

Knowledge is POWER!  How true.

I remember SSSSSSS the movie because there was a nakey football player in the shower in it.....but I don't remember much else.

Hmmmmmmm.....outdoor lights, yes those must be mastered before the end of the month and Halloween!  

Hmmmmmmmmm.......knowledge.  When I want to know something, I go find out.  I used to go to the Encyclopaedia Britannica or Americana or even The World Book - now we can go to the internet, more cautiously though.

I think that if I could, I would like to know everything there is to know and become as expert in architecture!  I have a passing knowledge of it, but it is fascinating and I have never expanded my basic knowledge of it.

Yes - architecture!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2004, 04:38:20 AM »

Good luck with your camera DRPANNI!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2004, 06:40:48 AM »

Good Morning!

As for the T-o-D: I'd like to be a bit more mechanically inclined, at least automotively speaking.  And, even though I helped - or didn't help ;) - my parents with the gardening chores while I was growing up, I would like to have more of a green thumb.  The only plants I seem to be able to sustain are pothos - which are practically indestructible, thankfully.  I've never had success with an herb garden - and I've tried and tried and tried.  Ah, well...

Well... I need to get ready to hie myself to the Folk of Nor for more performances of MAMMA MIA!  I'm playing both shows today and both shows tomorrow.  I went ahead and booked a room at the Marriott right near the theatre just in case I don't feel like driving back and "back" again tonight and tomorrow morning.  In any case, I will be errant and truant today because of the shows.  -Sorry. ;)

And on that note: C-flat!

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2004, 06:49:25 AM »

Good morning, all!

Well, the company giving me the MRI today called to confirm and told me there was an opening an hour earlier, so I'm going in now to be clautrophobically scanned.

TOD:  Two things I should put my mind to are finances and computers because I am a moron in both areas:

Finances:  I'm kind of like the Thurber cartoon in which the lady says "How can I be overdrawn?  I have all these checks left!"

Computers:  Outside of email, eBay, and HHW, I'm a total disaster, unable to download programs successfully, unable to figure out how to use this Mac as a word processor.  And even though Finale is THE music tool for the Mac, and I have friends who are masters of the program, and I'm unable to go from A to B with it.

I'll be back after the MRI.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2004, 06:56:32 AM »

Good morning all!

Well, I must say that I guess we’re all relieved that all the bran muffin talk has passed by.  I know I feel better for it.   ;)

Panni, what do you need to know about your camera?  I’ll try to help you the best I can.  What kind is it?  Make/model so I can go to their web page and see what your talking about.

I have to go do the usual shopping today.  I am also going to look for a new computer chair.  Staples has one I tried the other week and really liked.   The only problem was the color.  I wanted black but they only had brown.  Here's the picture of it.

This week it’s on sale so I’m going back to take another look.  

I also want to go to another place in Tampa that has chairs made with memory foam.  More expensive but could be well worth it .

A chair is a very personal item.  If you’re the one who sits in it for hours at a time it has to feel comfortable to you or you can start to have back problems.

I never gave my final report on my memory foam mattress topper pad.  All I can say is “Ahhhhh”.  I love it and I don’t know how I ever got along with out it.  I feel so much better when I get up in the morning.

Good MRI scan vibes to you, DRElmore!
[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]

Gotta scoot.  Have a great day every one!  Be back later on with or without a new chair!

Opps, misspelled a word—fixed now!    

« Last Edit: November 20, 2004, 02:15:40 PM by bk »
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2004, 07:37:30 AM »

So many things I wish I were an expert in. I wish I had learned to play a stringed instrument growing up. I took years of piano and played clarinet in my high school and college bands, but I wish I had learned guitar or banjo. I think they're the coolest instruments, and there have been several shows where being able to play a string instrument would have come in handy.

I also wish I had learned to play chess growing up. I've tried to learn via computer chess programs, but I'm rather hopeless to learn that way.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2004, 07:38:44 AM »

I'm hoping to watch THE SPY WHO CAME IN FROM THE COLD at some point today. I also want to watch the AMC Backstory on PEYTON PLACE which is on the flip side of the PEYTON PLACE DVD.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2004, 07:46:49 AM »

I have always wanted to be able to play piano, the violin and French horn.

I want to take cooking classes from a master chef...

I want to learn the art of matting and framing.

I'd love to learn how to restore old prints, posters, photos.

I'd also love to learn about furniture restoration (as well as design and construction of same).

Oh, well...perhaps in future lifetimes.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2004, 07:52:28 AM »

I tried to watch "The Passion" on DVD yesterday.

Got frustrated with the subtitles not keeping up with the spoken word.  I mean...what the hell are the actors saying that isn't important enough to put up on the screen.

I know, too, that "some" liberties were taken for the sake of story telling, but I found the first 30 minutes of the film filled with such (non-scriptural) liberties.

And then I fell asleep.  I am not impressed, thus far, with much of anything about it.  Least of all, sadly, the music -- if that's what those sounds are called these days.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2004, 08:06:18 AM »

I always wish that I could read music and translate it.  I can find a "G" on a staff, etc., but I can't look at it, and say "Oh, that's this pitch."  I guess it's because music is a form of math, and I don't really cotten to math.

And as for being a Newbie, I'm letting it grow out. (Oh, a Will & Grace reference!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2004, 08:07:49 AM »

Good morning, all!

Well, the company giving me the MRI today called to confirm and told me there was an opening an hour earlier, so I'm going in now to be clautrophobically scanned.

TOD:  Two things I should put my mind to are finances and computers because I am a moron in both areas:

Finances:  I'm kind of like the Thurber cartoon in which the lady says "How can I be overdrawn?  I have all these checks left!"

Computers:  Outside of email, eBay, and HHW, I'm a total disaster, unable to download programs successfully, unable to figure out how to use this Mac as a word processor.  And even though Finale is THE music tool for the Mac, and I have friends who are masters of the program, and I'm unable to go from A to B with it.

I'll be back after the MRI.

Excellent vibes and xylophones on the MRI.  That's one of my favorite Thurber lines, absolutely humor at its finest.  Another favorite Thurber line (quoted in Kritzer Time) is, "Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone."

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2004, 08:08:40 AM »

I am not impressed, thus far, with much of anything about it.  Least of all, sadly, the music -- if that's what those sounds are called these days.

I wasn't impressed with it from day one...

Michael

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2004, 08:11:10 AM »

And talking about today's subject.

The Kama Sutra.

You're never too late to learn new yoga positions.
Never stop dreaming.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2004, 08:19:13 AM »

I'm in that blechhy stage of this throat thing where it's all breaking up into phlegm and I have been coughing so hard that I almost threw my lower back out.

Matt H.

« Reply #18 on: October 02, 2004, 08:23:58 AM »

I really just had no interest in watching THE PASSION, especially after reading descriptions of it and perusing reviews.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2004, 08:34:05 AM »

I've watched the first fifteen minutes of Star Wars and I must say it is a pretty spectacular-looking DVD.  Great clarity and color.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #20 on: October 02, 2004, 08:36:54 AM »

I must say about the new home environment that the master bedroom in this house is the quietest I've ever been in.  In the last home environment one could hear everything - from the neighbors and their squealing children, to people's cars and motorcycles, birds twittering and squirrels beating a tattoo on the roof.  Here - absolute silence.  Can't hear cars, haven't heard a bird (the singing bird promised me it will return, but it's on the road doing Evita right now), no hammering, no neighbors, just absolute silence.  Love that.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: October 02, 2004, 09:06:03 AM »

I've watched the first fifteen minutes of Star Wars and I must say it is a pretty spectacular-looking DVD.  Great clarity and color.  

I gave in and bought the trilogy, too.  I haven't played any of the movies, yet, but I have to say that the set comes in some sorry-ass packaging.  The slipcase (and it took me a while to realize that the case does indeed slip) is made of rather flimsy paper stock.  The movie cases feel cheap and the covers do nothing to invoke the original films.  Kind of surprising for a such a highly anticipated set.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2004, 09:09:26 AM »

The one thing I know nothing about in which I soon HAVE to be well versed is the use of my new digital camera.
Help!

DR Panni, to get things started, just put the batteries in and then set the little wheel on the top to "M" for manual.  Then just start taking pics.  

You'll also have to load the software that came with it on your PC so you can transfer your pics (and show them all to us!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: October 02, 2004, 09:16:41 AM »

Thing I Wish I Knew More About:

Relationships.

How electricity works.

Astronomy.

How life started on Earth.

How to play a guitar.

-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #24 on: October 02, 2004, 09:50:49 AM »

BK, don't forget to stop at Laurie Mitchell's table and say hello if you go to the Hollywood show today! Remember, she worked with Leslie Parrish!

JRand54, where in the Sam Hill were you all day yesterday...not showing up until the wee hours of the morn. What is up with that!

I have a movie to finish watching this morning, an interview to do at 2pm (director Maury Dexter), and a wedding to surry off to at 4:30pm! No rest for me today!
But tomorrow I shall relax all day long! Hopefully!

MBarnum

« Reply #25 on: October 02, 2004, 09:51:55 AM »

Re: TOD...Finances and mathmatics are something that I know little about and wish I knew better. The minute numbers come into play my mind simply goes blank!

MBarnum

« Reply #26 on: October 02, 2004, 09:53:06 AM »

I like the idea of "A mystery by Bruce Kimmell" or better yet, "A Bruce Kimmell Mystery"

Many of my favorite vintage murder mystery books have that on the front!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: October 02, 2004, 10:10:32 AM »

Excellent vibes and xylophones on the MRI.  That's one of my favorite Thurber lines, absolutely humor at its finest.  Another favorite Thurber line (quoted in Kritzer Time) is, "Well, if I called the wrong number, why did you answer the phone."

Yes, yes, yes, Dear Friend BK!  I love THURBER CARNIVAL.  And don't forget "you can call it sleepwalking, but I think she's promiscuous."  Why isn't that delightful album on CD?

The people who administered the MRI called me right after I posted and wanted to know if I wanted to come in earlier at 10:30.  Outside of the racket, for which I used earplugs, it wasn't an unpleasant experience.   I'll call the orthopedist on Tuesday and see if he's got the results back.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2004, 10:13:28 AM »

I have a movie to finish watching this morning, an interview to do at 2pm (director Maury Dexter), and a wedding to surry off to at 4:30pm! No rest for me today!
But tomorrow I shall relax all day long! Hopefully!

At 4:30, are you wearing fringe on top to the wedding?

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2004, 10:15:58 AM »

I gave in and bought the trilogy, too.  I haven't played any of the movies, yet, but I have to say that the set comes in some sorry-ass packaging.  The slipcase (and it took me a while to realize that the case does indeed slip) is made of rather flimsy paper stock.  The movie cases feel cheap and the covers do nothing to invoke the original films.  Kind of surprising for a such a highly anticipated set.

No, the packaging isn't anything to write about...but what truly IRKS me is that so-called "artwork" on the inserts -- it looks as though someone tried to emulate Leroy Neiman...but they were nearsighted or something.  It's truly awful.

The glory, of course, is the recorded image/audio on the DVDs.  Not even Lucas' tampering with adding extra scenes has destroyed the beauty of the films (although I think the materials added to the first film are unnecessary and slow down a couple of scenes that moved much more effectively without them).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up