Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KNOWLEDGE IS POWER  (Read 19090 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re:KNOWLEDGE IS POWER
« Reply #30 on: October 02, 2004, 10:17:49 AM »

I like the idea of "A mystery by Bruce Kimmell" or better yet, "A Bruce Kimmell Mystery"

Many of my favorite vintage murder mystery books have that on the front!

Ahh...the "mystery" that IS Bruce Kimmel.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #31 on: October 02, 2004, 10:27:19 AM »

Things I wish I knew more about:

How to play the Piano

Wine

I am sure I will think of others as the day progresses.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2004, 10:30:51 AM »

I was sick.....but I am better now...a bit.  
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2004, 10:33:10 AM »

Regarding the topic o' the day:

I would like to become more knowledgeable about the art of dance.  It's the one performing art about which I am not very conversant.

I would love to learn how to play the piano.  I've stated this before on this site (the almost most popular site in all of internetdom) but I shall say it again:  I have very few regrets in my life, but not taking up my parents' offer of piano lessons is one of them.  (It was Hebrew school AND piano lessons or Hebrew school only.  In my youth, both seemed like burdens, and one burden, I figured, was better than two.  Faulty thinking.)  I have this fantasy of sitting down to the keyboard and effortlessly playing the most refined interpretations of music from the Great Amercian Songbook.

I'd like to learn Latin.  Not only would that be helpful in ciphering the Romance languages and better understanding the etymology of many words in English, I think it's a kick to drop Latin phrases into conversation.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2004, 10:35:43 AM »

I see The Dear Brother has made a rare Saturday appearance.  Welcome Dear Reader Stuart!  

I further see that we share an item on the topic of the day.

I also see dead people, but that's another story.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2004, 10:41:45 AM »

[quote author=Jay link=board=4;threadid=426;start=msg69276#msg69276

I'd like to learn Latin.  Not only would that be helpful in ciphering the Romance languages and better understanding the etymology of many words in English, I think it's a kick to drop Latin phrases into conversation.

DRJay, I have a degree, now 36 years old, in Latin, and I remember next to nothing of it except the first two lines to Virgil's AENEID.  On the plus side, once I understood Latin grammar, English grammar became a breeze, and I find it helped my French immensely, but it's still tres shitte, and Francois intimidates me with his ease of two languages and possibly more.  I read it rather easily, but I can barely say anything.  

My major rant about English grammar is that too many people in the media don't know jack, and I constantly hear incorrect usage of the objective case in screenwriting, interviews, books, etc., such as "gave it to my wife and I," which infuriate me to no end.  We're raising a generation of illiterates, and even the editors behind the writers are morons.  END OF RANT!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 02, 2004, 10:42:39 AM »

Well, what did I do to DRJay's quote?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #37 on: October 02, 2004, 10:51:37 AM »

Something I wish I knew something about is that BK speciality, audio technology.  I am wholly unable to make a decent recording of any of my songs.  I also know nothing of duplicating music, and getting it up on the internet.  I THINK I can handle burning a CD, but don't test me.

It's all a vast mystery to me, and I worry that whatever I learn will be nearly instantly rendered useless by some new technology.

And yet, it seems, every other songwriter around has great recordings of everything and are putting them out there.  The further shame is: I truly believe my best songs are the large ensembles, the things involving several groups of people singing umpteen countermelodies.  (Alone in the Night, It's So Simple, Fugue For Cellphones, Seeing Stars)  So, once the cast doing the show breaks up, there's no easy way of assembling such a large group of people and doing it again for a recording.  Compare Bucchino (whom I admire): the man writes solos, and gets stars to record them.

And every time I pop a self-recorded DAT tape into my machine, it breaks, permanently killing the memory.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #38 on: October 02, 2004, 10:54:49 AM »

I see The Dear Brother has made a rare Saturday appearance.  Welcome Dear Reader Stuart!  

I further see that we share an item on the topic of the day.

I also see dead people, but that's another story.

Yes, I am at the office, as we have a weekend full of performances of THE SHAPE OF THINGS.  So I figured I would come in early to try to get some other stuff done.

Funny, did we have the same parents?  'Cause  my parents also told me it was either Hebrew School AND piano lessons, or just Hebrew school!  (I still have never figured out where Mom would have put a piano...even a spinet.)

And thank you for your kinds words, DR JRand.

I have a general question for you folks out there:  When learning to type (or "key" as the art is now known) what were you told as far as the requisite number of spaces to put after a period (or other punctuation) at the end of a sentence?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 02, 2004, 11:00:08 AM »

Yes, I am at the office, as we have a weekend full of performances of THE SHAPE OF THINGS.  So I figured I would come in early to try to get some other stuff done.
I assume this is not "the Ballad of the Shape of Things," one of my favorite Sheldon Harnick songs?
I have a general question for you folks out there:  When learning to type (or "key" as the art is now known) what were you told as far as the requisite number of spaces to put after a period (or other punctuation) at the end of a sentence?

one space after a comma, two spaces after a period or question mark . . .

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: October 02, 2004, 11:00:53 AM »

I'm crashing and burning like the Hindenberg on quotes today!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: October 02, 2004, 11:02:14 AM »

A couple of weeks ago here at HHW several of us talked about TV GUIDE and its uselessness and our disappointment in recent changes and improvements.  Several of us said that we were no longer buying it.

Well...we are not the only ones.  For the third week in a row, I have noticed at the Kroger store - the rack (which used to contain only a couple of issues left) are now full....with only an issue or two gone.  I would like to see the circulation figures for the last few months.  

They won't get the message of course - "it must be that there are so many other similar magazines" not "hmmmm....maybe all of our changes weren't so useful!"

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #42 on: October 02, 2004, 11:04:50 AM »

Same as DRELMORE.  Two spaces after a sentence-ending punctuation mark.  One, after a comma, or semi-colon, etc.  Like that!

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #43 on: October 02, 2004, 11:21:03 AM »

Hey, Gang!

I had a delihtful dinner with Elmore last night - it was good to see him up and around, albeit hobbling a bit. How did the MRI go, Elmore??

Just by the way, the PIT I am staying in now, in addition to no phone (hence no internet aaarghhh!) features no electricity in the kitchen, bathroom and bedroom. I found that out when I got back fromm said delihtful dinner... oy.

So, anyone have a sublet for me??? Oy! I'm fairly determined to be outa there before tomorrow evening. My wish list includes: a phone, indoor plumbing, electricity, furniture. A piano would be nice. Upper West Side would be so fine. I don't need much. A clean studio with phone, and a toilet that worked, and some light on the subject. Is that so much to ask???

Okay, end of rant. Oy.
PennyO

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #44 on: October 02, 2004, 11:21:47 AM »

I forgot to say I'm here at Lincoln Center Library, using their internet service. Gosh it's nice here... maybe I could move my stuff into the bathroom on the 2nd floor... hmmmm....
PennyO

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #45 on: October 02, 2004, 11:46:40 AM »

Same as DRELMORE.  Two spaces after a sentence-ending punctuation mark.  One, after a comma, or semi-colon, etc.  Like that!

That is what I have thought for lo these 41 years.  But now the head of Marketing/Communications here is trying to tell me that it is only 1 space after a period.  Aside from the fact that she is one prissy (rhymes with witch), with whom I have had problems since my first day here, I just want to throttle her and say "Where were you educated, you snotty (rhymes with ditch)?"

I do really despise this woman.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: October 02, 2004, 12:21:00 PM »

DRSTUART to my horror, we are behind the times. The two-space rule applies to typography/typewriting and the one space is the norm for word programming.

;D

I have learned something new. It will take me some time to get used to it. But we must. We must. We must.  :P

http://www.webword.com/reports/period.html

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 02, 2004, 12:23:24 PM »

Knowledge. Is. Power!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #48 on: October 02, 2004, 12:38:13 PM »

DRSTUART to my horror, we are behind the times. The two-space rule applies to typography/typewriting and the one space is the norm for word programming.

;D

I have learned something new. It will take me some time to get used to it. But we must. We must. We must.  :P

Fie on them.  Fie on them all.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: October 02, 2004, 12:45:52 PM »

http://www.webword.com/reports/period.html

Not me!  2 spaces.  This old dog is learning nothing new about the keyboard!

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #50 on: October 02, 2004, 01:01:05 PM »

Not me!  2 spaces.  This old dog is learning nothing new about the keyboard!

I'm with you, DR Elmore.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #51 on: October 02, 2004, 01:19:08 PM »

And talking about today's subject.

The Kama Sutra.

You're never too late to learn new yoga positions.
And it helps to practice those yoga positions with a partner.

8)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #52 on: October 02, 2004, 01:30:18 PM »

I've been out and about doing errands -- still have one more to run. But I came home to retrieve my extra car remote. I do believe the battery in the car remote is kaput. It's been acting erratically  (not erotically) of late. But whenever it failed to open the car immediately, a swift kick to the door seemed to do the trick. Not today. People were staring at me in the parking lot as I beat up on my poor car—with my feet, my butt, my purse- to no avail. Finally, it opened, but I couldn't risk this again. For all I know they'd arrest me for car abuse. I think there’s something in the Patriot Act about that. Unamerican to harm a car. Even a Japanese one.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: October 02, 2004, 01:31:11 PM »

I'm back from the show and awaiting handy man and Tammy, to be followed by wiring man.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2004, 01:33:11 PM »

Thank you for the offers of help with my camera.
The first step is for me to just take the time and sit down with it and the manual. I've installed the software, BTW. I have no specific questions yet, Danise. When/if I do, I'll consult you.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 02, 2004, 01:37:19 PM »

The new location had a decidedly strange vibe, but Pogue likes it better than the Garland, I think, and most people seemed to think it was an improvement.  The biggest change is that the celeb room is gigantic and ninety percent of the dealers are now there as well.  I found it a bit confusing, layout-wise.  Not as many interesting folks as I thought there would be, but Larry Hagman and Linda Gray were there from Dallas, the lovely June Wilkinson and Pogue's friend and former Tarzan Denny Miller, Linda Blair, the two kidks from The Partridge Family (Suzanne and Brian), George Chakiris (we had a nice chat - it was his first show), Mamie van Doren, Jonathan Haze (he of the original Little Shop film), Lee Aakers (from Rin Tin Tin), a whole separate roomful of Playmates, George Lazenby, and many others.  I did see and have a nice chat with Anson Williams - hadn't seen him in quite a while and it was fun catching up.  

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #56 on: October 02, 2004, 01:39:23 PM »

In ref to something discussed yesterday:

Beef Wellington.
[/b]

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.  On a rack in a roasting pan, roast a 3 1/2 to 4 lb. beef tenderloin until the meat thermometer reaches 120 degrees, about 30 minutes.  Cool the meat completely.  Degrease and reserve the pan drippings.

Melt 2 T. butter in a large skillet, then saute 1/2 lb. minced mushrooms over low heat until they absorbe all the liquid they give off.  Season with salt and pepper to taste, and cool.  (This is called duxelles.)  Mash 5 oz. pate de foie gras into the mushrooms.  (This is called a very yummy duxelles.)

Roll out 1 1/4 lb. puff pastry, thawed, into a rectangle about 14 x 12 inches, enough to completely wrap the beef.  Cover the center of the pastry with the duxelles.  Place the beef roast on top of the duxelles, and then coat the top of the beef with the rest of the duxelles.  Fold up the long sides of the pastry to cover the beef, sealing the edges with a beaten egg white.  Fold up the ends of the dough, brush with more egg white, and seal.  Place on a greased baking pan, seam side down, and brush with a wash made of one large egg yolk mixed with one t. water.  Cover and refrigerate the roast for an hour.

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.  Bake the fillet until a meat thermometer registers 130 degrees, about 40 minutes.  Let the fillet stand for 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, disolve 1 T. cornstarch in 1 T. cold water.  Stir the cornstarch mixture and the reserved pan juices from the roast in a saucepan, then add 1/2 c. Madeira wine and 1 1/2 c. beef broth.  Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to a simmer, stirring occasionally until the sauce has thickened.  Stir in 2 T. finely chopped black truffles,
let simmer another 10 minutes, add salt and pepper to taste.

Slice the roast into 3/4-inch slices, serve with a spoonful of sauce on each portion.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 01:40:02 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #57 on: October 02, 2004, 01:44:27 PM »

In ref punctuation, particularly with periods.

As in my post above, it is proper to use a single space after a period when said period is being used to denote an abbreviation (abbr. for example).  Two spaces are proper following the period when it is used to denote the end of a sentence.  This is to give a visual cue to the reader that a thought has been finished, before continuing on to the next thought.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #58 on: October 02, 2004, 01:50:07 PM »

We just got back from the screening at the Museum of Television and Radio.  First let me say that for a one-time only showing of a Cole Porter and a Sondheim I expected big crowds and there were less than 100 people.  Where are all the musical theatre lovers in NYC?

Anyway, the Porter ALADDIN was a lot of fun.  It's not his best score, but it is his last and that alone makes it important.  Many of the songs are shorter than on the CD and "Wouldn't It Be Fun" (the last song he ever wrote) was cut from the telecast (this was the full 90 minute version so it wasn't just cut from the print I saw).  The book was good, camp fun.  Sal Mineo had way too much eye makeup and a costume that made him look like Peter Pan, but he was fine.  Cyril Ritchard was playing Cyril Ritchard, an acquired taste which I never acquired.

EVENING PRIMROSE was like a musical "Twilight Zone" Episode.  It was nice to see how the familiar songs fit the story.  Tony Perkins was so good I was really sorry he dropped out of COMPANY before it went into rehearsal.

What is most depressing is that we are never going to see the likes of this type of show again on commercial television.  Changing audience taste and shrinking budgets have put an end to original musicals for television.  Now all we get are occasional bad movie versions of good stage musicals (although I hope the upcoming MATRESS will be okay).
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: October 02, 2004, 01:50:23 PM »

Der Brucer has the following comment on punctuation.

"There is a space after punctuation marks.  Semi-colon however comma (or, in this case, semi-colon space however comma space) there is an additional space between sentences."

And yes, "semi-colon however comma" is a favorite phrase of der B's in conversation.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up