Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Down

Author Topic: THE WAYWARD WIND  (Read 39463 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE WAYWARD WIND
« Reply #330 on: December 27, 2007, 06:33:45 PM »

I've actually been lurking a bit.  You couldn't see me cuz I was on Keith's computer and for some reason it doesn't automatically sign me in anymore.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #331 on: December 27, 2007, 06:34:15 PM »

elmore is sitting there like a herring in the moonlight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #332 on: December 27, 2007, 06:34:31 PM »

So it is written, so it shall be done - page twelve.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #333 on: December 27, 2007, 06:34:57 PM »

We don't need no stinking lurking :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #334 on: December 27, 2007, 06:35:12 PM »

We've got lurkers aplenty.

Cillaliz

« Reply #335 on: December 27, 2007, 06:35:13 PM »

Brain Shares?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #336 on: December 27, 2007, 06:35:25 PM »

Will we never get to page thirteen?

Julie

« Reply #337 on: December 27, 2007, 06:36:32 PM »

Did anyone see the revival?  Did it play better live?  Michael McKean has none of the personality or fun of Eddie Foy in the original.

It played very well live - and was one of the toughest tickets to get for its whole run.
It had a very good cast beyond HC.  And really transformed Kelli O'Hara into the "it" girl of the season.  The role is so different from the part of Clara that she played in Light in the Piazza, and many questioned whether she could pull it off and was the right choice.  But she really performed the part beautifully, inproving consistently over the course of the run.  He, on the other hand, had a difficult time at first - he seemed somewhat uncomfortable on stage.  And the final scene had him shirtless, which he seemed especially uncomfortable with.  While he is not a great stage actor, he certainly was a crowd pleaser, and from what I understand, got thunderous applause after each performance.

As for the singing, it played really well on stage, but I think they "jazzed" up some of the numbers for the recording, as well as the other recording he made with Kelli - also very jazzy.  Also, it was staged very well, so numbers such as Hey There, while perhaps weak as a purely vocal track, were much more compelling when watching the live performance.   I don't think it translated very well from the stage to the recording.  But in person, it was a wonderful production.  

td

• td
« Reply #338 on: December 27, 2007, 06:36:52 PM »

After your drive, you'll have something new to listen to. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

« Reply #339 on: December 27, 2007, 06:42:55 PM »

Haha that sounds fun. My mother-in-law just got a new kitten named Chloe, and she hid behind the fridge most of the day. She finally came out to play with the dog toys, which angered Tommy's dog, and we had our laughs  :D

I want photos!  :)

Jane

« Reply #340 on: December 27, 2007, 06:44:29 PM »

Jane must have divined that I was going to bitch-slap her from here to eternity and hell and back.

I did warn you I wouldn't be around, and I'm back sooner than I expected. ;D

Jane

« Reply #341 on: December 27, 2007, 06:47:41 PM »

While lurking I saw loads of beautiful photos and learned if I'm ever in Richmond, I should eat at the main restaurant in the Jefferson Hotel.

Speaking of restaurants that serve a large vegetarian selection, MBarnum & JMK have you eaten at Toro Bravo in Portland?  It is fantastic!

Jane

« Reply #342 on: December 27, 2007, 06:49:41 PM »

Speaking of MBarnum, Allen made an important Fed-ex delivery today, only I didn't hear him.  Se then called me on the phone to make sure I saw where he left it.  You have such a nice brother.  I needed that delivery before I left for an appointment today.

Ginny

« Reply #343 on: December 27, 2007, 06:52:33 PM »

Hi, Jane!  Nice to see you back early.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #344 on: December 27, 2007, 06:54:36 PM »

DR Julie - thanks for the Pajama Game report.  Richard and I tried to get tickets for it - we were in NYC for our 25th wedding anniversary when it was in previews and opening.  Nothing doing...
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jane

« Reply #345 on: December 27, 2007, 07:13:45 PM »

Hi Ginny.  If I had gotten out for a walk this afternoon, I wouldn't have had the time to stop by and chat.  It would have been even nicer if I could have walked in the morning, before it snowed, as I originally planned to do.  Alas, I had to stay home & watch Sherlock to let him out if he needed.  He is having bathroom issues in the form of blood in his stools.

Jane

« Reply #346 on: December 27, 2007, 07:16:43 PM »

It began snowing as I was headed into town to get a 24 hour heart monitor put on.  Keith was kind enough to drive me, to be safe my car didn't get stuck on the road when I returned.  Thank goodness, a neighbor's car did get stuck and there is no way I would have gotten around it.  I wonder what the drive up my road would have done to the heart register-LOL.

Of course the day I go for the heart monitor the palpitations I have been experiencing since taking the anti-inflammatory, have almost stopped.  I'm sure they will return as soon as the 24 hours are up.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #347 on: December 27, 2007, 07:17:50 PM »

I only remember "Queen for a Day".  I'm sure I cried almost every time I watched it.

Dear Jane, I would not be surprised to see you go through 2 Kleenex during the weather report :)

der Brucer

welcome back
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

« Reply #348 on: December 27, 2007, 07:19:56 PM »

;D

Thanks, nice to be back.

Jane

« Reply #349 on: December 27, 2007, 07:20:18 PM »

Alas, now I must leave again.

'night.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #350 on: December 27, 2007, 07:24:04 PM »

I don't think it translated very well from the stage to the recording.  

A good record producer fixes this!

der Brucer

DERBRUCER

« Reply #351 on: December 27, 2007, 07:33:05 PM »

THOSE PESKY DETAILS

Two days after the cat escaped and attacked three young men, Zoo Director Manuel A. Mollinedo acknowledged that the wall was 12 1/2 feet — well below the 16.4-foot minimum height suggested by the Association of Zoos & Aquariums.
On Wednesday, Mollinedo said that the wall was 18 feet high, and that the moat around the tiger's pen was 20 feet wide.

der Brucer

Julie

« Reply #352 on: December 27, 2007, 07:38:12 PM »

DR Julie - thanks for the Pajama Game report.  Richard and I tried to get tickets for it - we were in NYC for our 25th wedding anniversary when it was in previews and opening.  Nothing doing...

I know!  It took a lot of people here by surprise - just how much demand there was for tickets.  I remember, on a whim, deciding on the day of the first preview that I wanted to see the show that night, and going to the box office a few hours before the performance to get a ticket.  Usually, you can always get a ticket to a first preview.  When I got there, not only did I find that the performance was completely sold out, but there was already a fairly lengthy cancellation line filled with people hoping to get a seat for that night.  I knew right there and then that it was going to be a hot ticket.

Julie

« Reply #353 on: December 27, 2007, 07:39:06 PM »

Hi Ginny.  If I had gotten out for a walk this afternoon, I wouldn't have had the time to stop by and chat.  It would have been even nicer if I could have walked in the morning, before it snowed, as I originally planned to do.  Alas, I had to stay home & watch Sherlock to let him out if he needed.  He is having bathroom issues in the form of blood in his stools.

I hope Sherlock gets better real soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #354 on: December 27, 2007, 07:42:01 PM »

I'm hither and yon, I'm there, I'm gone, I'm johnny not on the spot -

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #355 on: December 27, 2007, 08:05:07 PM »

Good Evening!

I'm back from the movies...

"The Water Horse: Legend of the Deep" - What a surprisingly touching movie this turned out to be.  Yes, you do have to just forget about some "practicalities" while watching the movie, but I found myself swept up in it's story, and quite moved at the end.  Alex Etel, who I loved in "Millions", plays another little boy who's dealing with the absence of a parent.  Then add to that some of the machinations of World War II, and how the whole legend of the Loch Ness Monster began, and you've got quite the tale.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #356 on: December 27, 2007, 08:10:41 PM »

I watched some television episodes that DR MBARNUM sent me.

MR BK - featured prominently in the prizes on QUEEN FOR A DAY is lunch at The Murphy House.....did you or any other DRs from LA ever eat there?

Well, Jack, I ate there almost every day until I was 17. Oh? You mean a Murphy House RESTAURANT? Never heard of it. My uncle, Niel Murphy, had several restaurants, but I don't recall any of them being called The Murphy House.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #357 on: December 27, 2007, 08:13:50 PM »

Had an enjoyable evening of viewing/listening.

I began with the director commentary on ZODIAC. David Fincher had interesting thigns to say and few dry spells in his recitation. Some nice information about casting, locations, and use of blue screen for much of the period look.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #358 on: December 27, 2007, 08:17:10 PM »

Then after a dinner at the Food Court at the mall across the way, I went ahead and stuck around for the sneak preview of...

27 Dresses

It doesn't open officially until January 11, 2008.  In any case...

Yes, it's a "chick flick", but it's a chick flick with a lot of heart.  At least I thought it had some heart to it.  Katherine Heigl plays a perpetual bridesmaid, who suddenly finds herself planning the wedding of her younger sister.  Alas, her younger sister just happens to be marrying the Katherine Heigl's (at least her character's) boss.  -Who she also happens to be secretly and hopelessly in love with.  Then you add James Marsden to the mix, and, well... You'll have to see for yourself.  ;)

The movie felt a little long to me, but it all worked.  And I have to say that Katherine Heigl gets to wear some truly stunning dresses in this movie - as well as some hysterically fun and funny bad ones.  -Thus the "27 Dresses".

-And on a personal note... Can James Marsden get any HOTTER?!?!?!?!?!?

Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #359 on: December 27, 2007, 08:19:08 PM »

I also listened to part of the other commentary on the disc. The producer, writer, and author James Ellroy talking about the case and the way the film portrayed it. Jake Gyllenhaal and Robert Downey, Jr.'s comments were intercut with the other three men's chatter.

Tomorrow I'll watch the second disc which has quite a lengthy list of featurettes.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 15   Go Up