Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SUCH GOINGS ON  (Read 24241 times)

Robin

Re:SUCH GOINGS ON
« Reply #120 on: June 29, 2004, 04:50:04 PM »

I spent nearly three hours today getting OS X Panther onto the iMac...and it's purring like a big friendly cat.  And everything is so much faster!  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #121 on: June 29, 2004, 04:50:54 PM »

Page five...and I still don't dance.

Don't ask me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: June 29, 2004, 05:14:59 PM »

A minor complaint...not that it's a big deal or anything.   And if it's ignored, I suspect I'll live with it.

I'm not a prude, but I do sometimes get bored with the attempts to occasionally turn this site into the old AFTER DARK magazine with beefcake shots of nearly-nude pretty young men for some of our members to drool over.  Is this really necessary?

You don't see the few heteros among our troops posting cheesecake photos of scantily-clad buxom babes for no apparent reason other than for their chums to lust over them.  

I mean when there is some sort of legitimate context (like we're talking about Hercules movies and someone posts a shot of Steve Reeves), fine, but if otherwise, can't these things be emailed to those who actually relish them?  There are enough sites on the internet of this stuff for both sexual persuasions that we don't really need to clutter our posting space with it.

End of mini-rant.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #123 on: June 29, 2004, 05:44:12 PM »

You mean all those Allison Hayes pix don't count?

:D

« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 05:44:38 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #124 on: June 29, 2004, 05:54:40 PM »

Actually, DR Pogue brings something I've wanted to ask for quite a while...are there any decent deeveedees of the Steve Reeves Hercules flicks?  I bought a double-feature a few years ago, a Madacy release, if I recall correctly, which was unfrickingwatchable.

I remember seeing these on a double-bill sometime in the late sixties, and I'd like to see them again in something approaching their original condition.  

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: June 29, 2004, 05:58:58 PM »

A wee bit of a reminder to anyone DRs or Dear Lurkers who are in the NY area...my friend Charles Bloom's first musical comedy! Go see it if you can and tell him Michael sent you!! Here is a note from Charles that he sent out today.

To my Friends and Colleagues on both sides of the footlights:

Here's inviting you to the premiere production of INSOMNIA.

This is the first time a show of mine has been produced in New York before critics, a paying audience, bitchy gossips, etc... but, since I'm fresh out of nervous breakdowns, I've chosen to enjoy myself. I hope most or all of you will be able to attend.

As you'll see, the performances times vary so, perhaps,  one will align favorably with your schedules. There's even a performance on Saturday, July 24th at 10:30 AM! You get a gold star if you make it to that one. Ah, well. Such is life in a festival.

I've embedded our colorful flyer in this e-mail. If anything is unclear, hard to read, doesn't download, etc... just e-mail me and I'll send it to you personally as an "attachment" or call
SMARTTIX (212) 868-4444. They'll answer all questions.

'Hope everyone is enjoying this temporarily mild summer.
I look forward to seeing you at INSOMNIA.

PS:
Please feel free to forward this e-mail to any theatre-files in your...well,...files whom you would feel would find seeing a new piece be an interesting way to spend 90
intermission-less minutes.

As Always,

-Charlie

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #126 on: June 29, 2004, 05:59:34 PM »

Change of topic... sort of. I thought it was quite brave of Dylan Walsh on Nip/Tuck last week to do the mid-life crisis scene where he stares at his flabby rear end in the mirror. Showed an utter lack of vanity (and a flabby butt).
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 06:00:56 PM by Panni »

MBarnum

« Reply #127 on: June 29, 2004, 06:00:52 PM »

Actually, DR Pogue brings something I've wanted to ask for quite a while...are there any decent deeveedees of the Steve Reeves Hercules flicks?  I bought a double-feature a few years ago, a Madacy release, if I recall correctly, which was unfrickingwatchable.

I remember seeing these on a double-bill sometime in the late sixties, and I'd like to see them again in something approaching their original condition.  

Robin, the Alpha DVD or HERCULES is not too hot...watchable, but not all that great. The Alpha DVD of HERCULES UNCHAINED, however, is very, very nice! Way too nice for a budget DVD! I was quite impressed.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #128 on: June 29, 2004, 06:08:20 PM »

I'm off to dine at a place I've never dined before. A new joint called Minibar. Sounds a bit too trendy for my taste, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised. The Times did say that it "has a sweet-natured goofy charm all its own." Sounds just like me! Will report later.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #129 on: June 29, 2004, 06:12:13 PM »

A minor complaint...not that it's a big deal or anything.   And if it's ignored, I suspect I'll live with it.

I'm not a prude, but I do sometimes get bored with the attempts to occasionally turn this site into the old AFTER DARK magazine with beefcake shots of nearly-nude pretty young men for some of our members to drool over.  Is this really necessary?

You don't see the few heteros among our troops posting cheesecake photos of scantily-clad buxom babes for no apparent reason other than for their chums to lust over them.  

I mean when there is some sort of legitimate context (like we're talking about Hercules movies and someone posts a shot of Steve Reeves), fine, but if otherwise, can't these things be emailed to those who actually relish them?  There are enough sites on the internet of this stuff for both sexual persuasions that we don't really need to clutter our posting space with it.

End of mini-rant.

Aww, shucks.  No more pictures like this one, which you posted yourself, Dear Reader Charles Pogue?

;)
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #130 on: June 29, 2004, 06:23:38 PM »

Question: have any DRs seen wild bunnies?
No, but there's a Hooters in town.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #131 on: June 29, 2004, 06:31:51 PM »

And yes....those tickets were for a raffle NOT the mailing/contact list.  We ask for people to sign up for the mailing list, but we don't make calls.  I know the Indiana Repertory Theatre does....they used to use their AUDITION lists to make calls.  Like someone who was never cast was going to spend money to see a show there.

And "don't call" would have been a good response.  
Well, tacky people do tacky things.

I can fully understand using a mailing list for a mailing, and after a week or so following up with a personal call (offering more information, that sort of thing), but using AUDITION LISTS?  Yipes.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: June 29, 2004, 06:43:16 PM »

There's an excellent French DVD of the original Hercules in its proper 2:35 ratio, enhanced for widescreen TVs and with the English dub.  Region 2, of course, but worth getting if you have a multi-region player.  I can't watch these films pan and scan.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #133 on: June 29, 2004, 06:46:54 PM »

Well, tacky people do tacky things.

I can fully understand using a mailing list for a mailing, and after a week or so following up with a personal call (offering more information, that sort of thing), but using AUDITION LISTS?  Yipes.

Well... One place I used to work for would start making calls about a week after the "yes and no" calls were made asking those who did not get into the show if they were interested in volunteering to be on one of the crews for the show.  "Hello, we know you didn't get cast, but would you like to change the scenery for the people who did get cast?"  The noyve!
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #134 on: June 29, 2004, 06:49:38 PM »

Time for a decent home-cooked meal.  After two days of food served by der Brucer's daughter, we really need something...well, edible is the best word I can find.

I think some spaghetti, lightly sauced with tomatoes, and boneless, skinless chicken thighs.  And maybe some broccoli on the side.

And NO PRETZEL SALAD!  My skin still crawls at the thought.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: June 29, 2004, 06:51:59 PM »

I've also got to think up something to do with artichokes.  We bought two for that daughter of der B's, because she likes them, but since she said she already had dinner planned (as if) we didn't deliver.  

Any favorite things to do with artichokes, out there?  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #136 on: June 29, 2004, 07:06:40 PM »

I've never tried this, but how about Shrimp-Artichoke Frittata?  And if you scroll down near the bottom of the page, you can search for recipes by keyword or browse by category!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #137 on: June 29, 2004, 07:10:13 PM »

Wait!  Woody, do you have frozen artichokes or fresh?  The recipe calls for frozen.  I didn't think about that.  And the other recipes seem to call for them frozen in a jar.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #138 on: June 29, 2004, 07:12:39 PM »

Hey re: the musical INSOMNIA, I see Eric Millegan is in it.

The one thing I didn't notice is what the show is about.  Is there some sort of summary or song list?

Jennifer

« Reply #139 on: June 29, 2004, 07:13:39 PM »

DR S Woody what did the daugher make that was so bad?  And could it really have been that awful?

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #140 on: June 29, 2004, 07:17:43 PM »

I like artichokes just steamed well, with a side of melted butter.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #141 on: June 29, 2004, 07:23:07 PM »

A friend who teaches at the BMI musical theater workshop just IM'd me this, in re: Insomnia:

Charley Bloom is a very smart and clever fellow,   ... but he is talented.
 Charlie is also the son of B-movie actress Carolyn Kearney and Hollywood screenwriter and teleplay scribe Harold Jack Bloom ... so he's got an interesting backstory.
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #142 on: June 29, 2004, 07:23:49 PM »

and this: "I remember how flabbergasted and pleased he was over dinner shared with BMIers one night to hear that not only did I know his father's byline, I could rattle off a number of his credits."
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: June 29, 2004, 07:48:45 PM »

Well, you won't believe it - T. Minoff just called me and said that the rights holders to our backup play called and said they'd made a mistake and that the rights are not available for LA because the author is holding out for a major production.  They will RUE the day, oh, yes, they will RUE the day, because they sent us a contract immediately, which we have, which has dates, venue, and everything else spelled out.  We are not going to make this easy on them.  Perhaps we'll point out that if there were to have been a "major" LA production it would have happened long before this - much closer to the show's 2001 NY run (which was not a success).  That, coupled with the film release of last year and said film's being a total bomb, well, what ARE they going on about?

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #144 on: June 29, 2004, 07:50:24 PM »

go get 'em, Bruce!
PennyO

PennyO

• Penny Orloff
« Reply #145 on: June 29, 2004, 07:51:34 PM »

Which play was that, again???
PennyO

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: June 29, 2004, 08:09:20 PM »

Say, where in tarnation IS everyone?  Is our Jason back in NY yet?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #147 on: June 29, 2004, 08:14:07 PM »

Wait!  Woody, do you have frozen artichokes or fresh?  The recipe calls for frozen.  I didn't think about that.  And the other recipes seem to call for them frozen in a jar.
They're fresh.

Frozen?  How odd.  Frozen in a jar, odder still.

Still, I usually get ideas from recipes, rather than follow them to the letter.  And there's a great fishmonger just around the corner from where I work.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #148 on: June 29, 2004, 08:25:07 PM »

I did post my reaction to the VARIETY review of DE-LOVELY the day the review appeared on the VARIETY website. There WAS discussion about the movie several weeks ago in reaction to these reviews and to articles posted on the internet about the upcoming film and its imminent release at Cannes. You might not have seen them, but we DID write about them.

Doesn't matter, I will still make up my own mind about seeing this film and others based on things I read and my own interpretation of those articles. Why should anyone have to defend his own decisions on this website?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2004, 08:26:43 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #149 on: June 29, 2004, 08:26:31 PM »

DR S Woody what did the daugher make that was so bad?  And could it really have been that awful?
It wasn't that the dear daughter made anything that was awful.  She had everyone else do all the cooking.  (She can't even boil water without it turning out poorly, poor thing.)  And had me tone down what I made to their level, which was insipidly awful.

Check Sunday's posts, late Sunday, for the details.

Tonight's dinner, in constrast, had flavor.

Boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut bite-size, browned and turned over to start browning on the other side.  Add some salt, pepper, oregano, basil, garlic powder.  Pour on a can of diced tomatoes and a can of tomato sauce.  Add some mushrooms(sliced), stir a bit and simmer at medium-low while the spaghetti cooks.  Serve with steamed broccoli and Parmesan.

This is something der B's daughter and her crowd would deem "too complicated."
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up