Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DAY OF THE SOUND MIX  (Read 16772 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:THE DAY OF THE SOUND MIX
« Reply #90 on: April 29, 2006, 12:36:04 PM »

Has anybody mentioned JAWS? The shark attacks would IMHO be pretty lame without Williams' music. In fact, it's so powerful that once it's established you don't even need to see the shark - just hear the ominous theme -  to be petrified.

Another good one Maria... I am not a big fan of the movie but the score is brilliant and notes still ring through my head for various things... da duh da duh..

I have always liked John Williams as a contemporary film composer.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #91 on: April 29, 2006, 12:39:15 PM »

Welcome to Page 4!!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ginny

« Reply #92 on: April 29, 2006, 01:05:15 PM »

I'm home, I'm home!  It was a smooth drive until five lanes of the by-pass around Columbus had to leave the freeway due to (I found out later) an accident.  The traffic jam and my alternate route added about an hour to my  trip.

TOD - The opening sequence of The Big Chill, in which we meet all the characters with "I Heard It Through the Grapevine" playing in the background.  And the conclusion of An Officer and a Gentleman, when Richard Gere carries Deborah Winger out of the factory.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #93 on: April 29, 2006, 01:34:52 PM »

E&T yesterday with final rehearsal for the wee play I'm directing. Today it opens. I've done all I can do. And I think it has really come together and should be a cute piece. One of the actresses is making her return to the stage after some time away, so I worry a little about her nerves.

The other thing is we only got to rehearse in the actual space one time, so I hope they don't get thrown in the somewhat unfamiliar surroundings.

Vibes requested!!

~~~Much Break Leg Vibage!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Ginny

« Reply #94 on: April 29, 2006, 01:38:02 PM »

Are any NYC Hainsies/Kimlets going to see the Rodz-directed play?

Break a leg, DR Director Rodzinski!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

George

« Reply #95 on: April 29, 2006, 01:50:55 PM »

The Murder from Psycho - talk about music informing a visual sequence.
I totally agree.

The docking of the space ship with the space station in 2001  is perfection!
Absolutely.

TOD- I just love the opening to RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK - virtually no dialogue, the actors, the jungle, the director and THE MUSIC!! by John Williams... and finally, their plane takes off!! BIG THEME!!! Oh, boy!

The boys, on their bikes, are trying to get ET home... they are being chased by the Feds... can they get away? Oh, no, they can't! Suddenly, the bikes soar off into the air, the music soars, my heart leaps out of my chest, it's so beautiful.
I love both of these, also!

Has anybody mentioned JAWS? The shark attacks would IMHO be pretty lame without Williams' music. In fact, it's so powerful that once it's established you don't even need to see the shark - just hear the ominous theme -  to be petrified.
It's just a perfect blending of music and scene.

Also, in what is now the first "Pirates of the Carribbean" movie, Johnny Depp and Orlando Bloom have a sword fight and the music is perfectly timed with their sword clashes.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: April 29, 2006, 01:53:35 PM »

break a leg vibes and xylophones to Rodzinski and company.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: April 29, 2006, 01:54:22 PM »

Almost two o'clock and no end in sight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #98 on: April 29, 2006, 01:56:14 PM »

Actually, we're almost through with act one.  

George

« Reply #99 on: April 29, 2006, 02:03:35 PM »

A Very Happy HHW Birthday to the One and Only Vixter!! ;D

Danise

« Reply #100 on: April 29, 2006, 02:05:23 PM »

[move=up,scroll,6,transparent,100%]

[/move]

Dear Vixter!!!!
A real American Girl Doll!!!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #101 on: April 29, 2006, 02:08:18 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]@ @ @ @ @  MERDE  FOR DR RODZ & CO.  @ @ @ @ @[/move]

Special Vibes for Carrot Girl, who may find herself gaining hales of laughter from one particular audience member as she eats her carrot on stage (all depending on the whims of her director.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: April 29, 2006, 02:17:14 PM »

We'll be through with act one in about ten minutes, then on to act two.

Danise

« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2006, 02:20:57 PM »

Many vibes and broken legs to DR Rodzinski!!!!

Congrats to DR TPunk!!!!

Today was a bitter sweet day for me.  Bear continues to act funny, won't eat, crys. etc. etc since the death of Brandi.  I took him up to vet again to make sure there is nothing physical wrong with him.  The thing in his eye seems to be shrinking on it's own so the doctor doesn't think he will need surgery after all. Everything else is grief over the loss of Brandi.

I was told I should really consider getting another dog.  With my current situation, I don't think that would be such a good idea but I did go to pound and the local shelter to look at the dogs there.  

Lord, so many sad eyes.  I wanted to take them all home with me.  I can't rush into this so I had to walk away from all of them with a very heavy heart.  

I want what is right.  For me.  For Bear.  For Mom.  For whatever dog I would get or not get.  I have the dog houses, the fenced yard, the food etc. and I would love another dog  but........

Sigh.  I don't know what to do.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

FJL

« Reply #104 on: April 29, 2006, 02:23:33 PM »

HALEY'S VOMIT - the kid from Sixth Sense grows up and...oh, never mind.  :)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: April 29, 2006, 02:37:45 PM »

I may have spoken to soon.

Cillaliz

« Reply #106 on: April 29, 2006, 02:45:11 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY VIXTER[/move][/size]
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 02:48:22 PM by Cillaliz »

FJL

« Reply #107 on: April 29, 2006, 02:46:38 PM »

FORTY CARROTS - that should be Rodzinski's next directorial effort

Cillaliz

« Reply #108 on: April 29, 2006, 02:49:08 PM »

I haven't quite learned how to do the fancy font, but I'm working on it....have a great day Vixter

Cillaliz

« Reply #109 on: April 29, 2006, 02:50:12 PM »

GOOD VIBES TO RODZINSKI AND CAST

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2006, 02:53:45 PM »

Very best wishes for DR Rodzinski's stage endeavor. Crossed fingers and broken legs for cast, crew, and staff.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2006, 02:57:58 PM »

Putting off mowing the lawn is more practicality than lazy procrastination. I have an electric mower, and getting the electric cord unwound from its "spool" is a bother. Better to wait until it HAS to be done.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 03:00:18 PM by Matt H. »

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2006, 02:59:36 PM »

Rodzinski - I wonder if TPunks' friend was working for Joel Grey in 1993, when Mr. Grey was starring in one of Skip's show, HERRINGBONE (Skip was going by his full name, Walter Edgar Kennon, in those days), at Hartford Stage.  Mr. Grey was as far as I could tell a great artist, and gave a phenomenal performance.   This is an excerpt form the NY Times review back then:  

June 6, 1993, Sunday

SUNDAY VIEW; In a One-Man Show, Joel Grey Is a Crowd
By DAVID RICHARDS

If Joel Grey rolls up his pants to the knees, opens his baby blues to their full circumference and puts a little red-and-white schoolboy's cap on his head, he can, at the age of 61, pass for 8. By puffing up his cheeks, extending his arms out from his sides and lowering his body to a seated position -- although there is no chair nearby for him to sit on -- he is able to transform himself rather convincingly into a frog. And when he lets his wrists melt, allows his hips to expand in a circular swivel and draws his mouth into the shape of a rosebud, he could be any floozy in the lobby of a third-rate hotel looking for a good time.

Mr. Grey can also sing and dance, by the way.

All of this makes him the right person to take on "Herringbone," a bizarre one-man musical in which the man in question, a bowler-hatted, cane-twirling entertainer named Herringbone, plays 10 different characters -- among them, an 8-year-old boy, a floozy and a frog, or at least a crazed vaudevillian who was once part of a team called "The Chicken and the Frog." Written by Tom Cone, with sprightly music by Walter Edgar Kennon and singular lyrics by Ellen Fitzhugh, "Herringbone" attracted attention at Playwrights Horizons in 1982 when the late David Rounds was doing all the transformations and having to change sex, voice and personality every other line or so.

She didn't start working for him until 99 I think when he was starring in Give Me Your Answer, Do at the Roundabout- we both worked there at the time.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2006, 03:01:07 PM by TPunk »

George

« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2006, 03:00:34 PM »

Right now, I'm watching shows from the last week ("Boston Legal" and "Dr. Who" and whatever I can find that I haven't watched) and I keep forgetting to fast-forward through the commercials.  Dopey me. ;)

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2006, 03:01:58 PM »

She didn't start working for him until 99 I think when he was starring in Give Me Your Answer, Do at the Roundabout- we both worked there at the time.

In 93 we both would have still been in high school. hee hee  ;D

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2006, 03:01:59 PM »

I finished CAT ON A HOT TIN ROOF today. There were a couple of shots that were strangely out of focus on this old transfer, but otherwise, it looks fine enough for my needs. It's only the second time I've watched it in probably eight years or so, so no need now for a new transfer.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: April 29, 2006, 03:03:36 PM »

Then, I put in TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY. I started with the documentary on the making of the film. Cursory stuff and irritating that more research didn't go into the compilation of this little featurette. I find it interesting that MGM used TILL THE CLOUDS ROLL BY to launch their line of soundtrack albums. Not one word was mentioned about this.

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #117 on: April 29, 2006, 03:05:32 PM »

Happy Birthday to The Vixter!

Tomovoz

« Reply #118 on: April 29, 2006, 03:06:18 PM »

I hope DR Debbie's daugher has had a happy birthday. I think she is not allowed to read these greetings!!

May DR Rodzinski's play be a 24 carat success.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

« Reply #119 on: April 29, 2006, 03:09:03 PM »

I see that NBC has renewed all three LAW & ORDER shows as well as CROSSING JORDAN, LAS VEGAS, and MEDIUM. Already announced renewals are MY NAME IS EARL and THE OFFICE.

There are whispers that SCRUBS is also being renewed, but it hasn't been made official yet.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up