Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE TONYS  (Read 14405 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: THE TONYS
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:32 AM »

Here's my friend Ron Raines with Amy Irving and Lee Gregory in the Opera Theatre of St Louis production of A LITTLE NIGHT MUSIC, directed by Isaac Mizrahi.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2010, 11:47:51 AM »

I doubt that Ms irving delivers a SEE-ME-ACT version of "Send in the Clowns."
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2010, 11:48:41 AM »

Cranberries!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2010, 11:49:21 AM »

Page 3!
« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 12:00:20 PM by elmore3003 »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »

This is such madness. No one can figure out why we can't connect. Everything appears to be working on apple's end and time Warner says everything is working on their end - only clearly something is not working since I can't connect. I'm posting from the phone

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2010, 12:13:28 PM »

Well, I'm glad I didn't watch. Have little desire to catch up with whatever of the evening is now on YouTube.

But I agree that when you have women like Cook, Lansbury, Peters, etc. on hand and you have Sondheim's 80th, then why not put them to use? Get Billie Joe and Green Day to do a Sondheim song, too. Or any other show tune to build a bridge. Might have been fun.

They could've done some Punk Side Story. ;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2010, 12:35:11 PM »

So, Dan (the Man), maybe it is the role that wins, not the actor.

It sometimes seems that way, DR Laura.  There are some roles--Tevye, Hedda Gabler, Madea--that just seem to always get their actors nominated, at least.

Don't forget Gypsy's Rose.  And every actor who's played Pseudolous has won the Tony award...even Jason Alexander, who sang the Pseudolous role in the Forum songs in Jerome Robbins' Broadway.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2010, 12:47:11 PM »

TOD: Love the scores for "The Grand Tour" and "Mack and Mabel." Would have to pick "Marianne," "I Don't Want to Know," "That's How Young I Feel," "Song on the Sand" and "One Extraordinary Thing" as favorites among favorites.

I laugh every time I see the British cast recording where the show on the spine is listed as "Mack and Mable." Guess the editor was off that day.

There's a Sondheim recording (I forget which) where they spell his first name as "Steven" on the spine.  I remember reading that there was a voluntary recall, and they did changed it for later copies, but there are quite a few incorrect ones that are still out there.

Laura

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2010, 12:52:45 PM »

Vacation Bible School songs sure ain't what they used to be.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Michael

« Reply #69 on: June 14, 2010, 01:31:23 PM »

TOD: Love the scores for "The Grand Tour" and "Mack and Mabel." Would have to pick "Marianne," "I Don't Want to Know," "That's How Young I Feel," "Song on the Sand" and "One Extraordinary Thing" as favorites among favorites.

I laugh every time I see the British cast recording where the show on the spine is listed as "Mack and Mable." Guess the editor was off that day.

There's a Sondheim recording (I forget which) where they spell his first name as "Steven" on the spine.  I remember reading that there was a voluntary recall, and they did changed it for later copies, but there are quite a few incorrect ones that are still out there.

Saturday Night and I own one of those copies and it is still sealed.
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2010, 01:32:37 PM »

I doubt that Ms irving delivers a SEE-ME-ACT version of "Send in the Clowns."

All she needs to do is keep her head still.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

George

« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2010, 01:34:36 PM »

That's it!  I also own it, but mine's not sealed.  I don't think that I noticed it until after I opened it.

George

« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2010, 01:35:20 PM »

I have asked repeatedly for the invoices to be returned.  I've asked nicely.  I'm trying to be calm but calm doesn't work for me after this many attempts.  I haven't yelled at her - the only thing I've said in my messages is that I don't understand, that this kind of behavior in lieu of the fact of how good I've been to her is weird to me, and that I need the invoices.

Call Judge Judy.

Call her mom...didn't you dine with her recently?

George

« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2010, 01:42:42 PM »

Michael

« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2010, 01:43:10 PM »

TOD

In No Particular Order But Grouped by Shows

Marianne
I Belong Here
I"ll Be Here Tomorrow

I Won't Send Roses
Time Heals Everything

Kiss Her Now
And I Was Beautiful
I Don't Want to Know

Bosom Buddies
Loving You
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2010, 01:44:08 PM »

That's it!  I also own it, but mine's not sealed.  I don't think that I noticed it until after I opened it.

I read about it and searched one out
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #76 on: June 14, 2010, 01:49:59 PM »

I read the comments on facebook about the Tony Awards. Not one had a nice thing to say about the show. Many reason were the same site in BK's note. Also hard hit was Catherine Zeta-Jones and her performance of Send In The Clowns. Many felt that she was performing to the third balcony instead if being in the moment  like she is the show. As for me I would have chosen A Weekend In The Country (Slightly edited for time constraints) as the best representation of that show.
Never stop dreaming.

George

« Reply #77 on: June 14, 2010, 02:53:54 PM »

Topic of the Day:

And I Was Beautiful
The Best of Times
Bosom Buddies
I Am What I Am
I Don't Want to Know
I Won't Send Roses
If He Walked Into my Life
It Only Takes a Moment
Kiss Her Now
Look Over There
Nelson
Song on the Sand
Time Heals Everything
Wherever He Ain't

MBarnum

« Reply #78 on: June 14, 2010, 03:06:38 PM »

I was wrong (first time ever  ;D  ) and my DVR did record The Tonys last night. When I set it, it said there was not enough room on the DVR, but I guess I managed to clear enough stuff off that the machine was able to record the show.

So anyway, I watched it (fast forwarding through much) this morning before going to work (didn't hvae to go in until 1pm).

1) I thought Sean Hayes did a very nice job of hosting.

2) I think I would enjoy seeing FENCES, PROMISES PROMISES, and MEMPHIS.

3) Like Ron Pulliam, I don't see why it should matter if the star of a show was/is a movie actor. Hasn't it always been that way on Broadway?

4) Pandering: If the Tonys don't get seen by the viewing public, then they won't get shown. If having someone or something that will bring in viewers keeps the show on the air each year...well I would guess anyone would do the same thing. They ain't just doing this for their health. Plus, they might get people interested in seeing life theater, who otherwise never would. I think that is a wonderful thing!

5) I skipped most of the speeches.

6) I was amazed at how good B. P. looked (don't hate me JRand!)

7) Got a kick out of the Football player who was a musical fan.

8) As usual I enjoyed the awards show. I guess I am easily entertained.

MBarnum

« Reply #79 on: June 14, 2010, 03:07:10 PM »

TOD:

I don't know from the TOD.

MBarnum

« Reply #80 on: June 14, 2010, 03:11:23 PM »

The last several weeks I have been walking to work. Partly because I want to keep mileage on my car to a minimum, and partly for the exercise, as I never seem to get my ever expanding butt to the gym.

I am now rethinking this whole experiment.

It takes me 25 minutes to walk to work. I leave my house, which is located in a bad part of town...walk through an undesirable part of town...and arrive at an even worse part of town. I have passed by any number of sketchy characters, ones I would not want to meet in a dark, or even bright, alley.

Also, I think cars try to kill pedestrians in this town. They certainly have no interest in letting a walker cross a marked cross-walk.

MBarnum

« Reply #81 on: June 14, 2010, 03:14:08 PM »

I wonder if MattH watched the Tonys. I do miss his comments on various and sundried TV shows/specials, and will particularly feel that way come the new season.

MBarnum

« Reply #82 on: June 14, 2010, 03:14:44 PM »

Hmm...since i am the only one here, I wonder what else I can post about.

MBarnum

« Reply #83 on: June 14, 2010, 03:16:50 PM »

There are two guests. I both of you join HHW and post, it will be swell!

George

« Reply #84 on: June 14, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »

I was wrong (first time ever  ;D  ) and my DVR did record The Tonys last night. When I set it, it said there was not enough room on the DVR, but I guess I managed to clear enough stuff off that the machine was able to record the show.

Mike, are you sure that some saved things weren't automatically deleted??  My DVR will delete the oldest stuff if the recording of newer stuff needs more room.  However, I can manually set each saved program to not delete unless I manually delete it.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: June 14, 2010, 03:49:40 PM »

The last several weeks I have been walking to work. Partly because I want to keep mileage on my car to a minimum, and partly for the exercise, as I never seem to get my ever expanding butt to the gym.

It takes me 25 minutes to walk to work. I leave my house, which is located in a bad part of town...walk through an undesirable part of town...and arrive at an even worse part of town. I have passed by any number of sketchy characters, ones I would not want to meet in a dark, or even bright, alley.

Also, I think cars try to kill pedestrians in this town. They certainly have no interest in letting a walker cross a marked cross-walk.

I think you're safe, Mikey! You have no money, you have a house full of Bollywood memorabilia and DVDs, so there's clearly nothing worth killing you for.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #86 on: June 14, 2010, 03:51:48 PM »

On the other hand, if you started "running", it would take you only 17 minutes...and those sketchy characters wouldn't want to pop a sweat chasing you.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: June 14, 2010, 04:33:13 PM »

I was up until 3:00 am reading and finishing The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. There just wasn't a stopping point where I could easily put the book down and go to sleep.  What a good book.  Glad I bough the trilogy so I can start the next one right away.

Glad you enjoyed it.  Book three begins where book two ends.  It was very difficult to wait to read book three.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: June 14, 2010, 04:36:39 PM »

Well, I don't have my own flag, but as I walked out of the courthouse after a very contentious divorce with my ex fighting over nothing , I looked around and saw all the flags flying for Flag Day and it made me smile and feel free.   I remember that feeling every year on Flag Day.

I like the idea it is a day of joyous freedom for you.  Today was my sister's birthday.  I am now free from her tyranny, but it is very sad not joyous.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: June 14, 2010, 04:39:40 PM »

I'm sorry your walk isn't safer, 25 minutes doesn't seem far at all.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up