Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: CASTING THE CAST  (Read 17229 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: CASTING THE CAST
« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2009, 06:20:05 AM »

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive Blu-Ray player, www.woot.com has one today for $134.99.

Question from the tech-challenged:  if I hooked this gadget up to an old analog television, would it work?  Would there be any point?

Would it work, yes. There are analog connections on Blu-ray players as well as digital connections.

Would there be any point? Well, the image would look wonderful and give the TV the best image it'd be capable of producing (the Blu-ray player would have to be set to deliver 480i resolution), but HD pictures on less than HD equipment is a waste of resources unless you someday plan to buy a new TV to replace the analog one. Then, the Blu-ray player could function at its maximum capacity.

That would be my consideration in buying this player at this point.  I don't have an HDTV just yet, but then in the meantime I could start purchasing BD instead of DVD versions of latest releases.

This model that is being sold today on woot.com seems to lack an ethernet connection.  DR Matt, have you come across any Blu-Ray discs that take advantage of broadband connectivity in any interesting way?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2009, 06:22:12 AM »

Page Deux Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2009, 06:24:18 AM »

TOD:

There are really too many to name. Just a few of my top favorites:

"With a Smile and a Song"

"When You Wish Upon a Star"

"Baby Mine" and "When I See an Elephant Fly"

"Zip-a-dee-Doo-dah"

"A Dream Is a Wish Your Heart Makes"

"Very Good Advice" and "All in the Golden Afternoon"

"You Can Fly," "The Second Star to the Right," and "Your Mother and Mine"

"He's a Tramp"

"Once Upon a Dream"

"Candle on the Water"

"Under the Sea"

"Beauty and the Beast"

"Circle of Life," "Hakunna Matata," and "Can You Feel the Love Tonight"

"Colors of the Wind" and "Just Around the Riverbend"

"Out There"

"The Gospel Truth" and "Go the Distance"

"When She Loved Me"
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: October 15, 2009, 06:25:51 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's cold and rainy here in SW Ohio today.

Health vibes for DR Michael S's father!

My sister (in Michigan) is having 2 out-patient procedures this morning and could use some vibes, too.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 15, 2009, 06:27:00 AM »

If anyone is looking for an inexpensive Blu-Ray player, www.woot.com has one today for $134.99.

Question from the tech-challenged:  if I hooked this gadget up to an old analog television, would it work?  Would there be any point?

Would it work, yes. There are analog connections on Blu-ray players as well as digital connections.

Would there be any point? Well, the image would look wonderful and give the TV the best image it'd be capable of producing (the Blu-ray player would have to be set to deliver 480i resolution), but HD pictures on less than HD equipment is a waste of resources unless you someday plan to buy a new TV to replace the analog one. Then, the Blu-ray player could function at its maximum capacity.

That would be my consideration in buying this player at this point.  I don't have an HDTV just yet, but then in the meantime I could start purchasing BD instead of DVD versions of latest releases.

This model that is being sold today on woot.com seems to lack an ethernet connection.  DR Matt, have you come across any Blu-Ray discs that take advantage of broadband connectivity in any interesting way?

No, not really. For me, the most convenient aspect of having an ethernet connection is that the player can get firmware upgrades over the net without having to download them onto a memory stick or burn a CD just for an upgrade. (And upgrades are important because the studios keep changing protection on their discs to prevent piracy and some discs won't play on older players without the upgrades.)

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 15, 2009, 06:30:33 AM »

Tonight is my nightmare night as far as TV scheduling is concerned. So many wonderful shows crammed into the three hours of primetime. It's really absurd.

For fans, just a reminder that 30 ROCK begins its fourth season tonight at 9:30 on NBC.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: October 15, 2009, 06:33:51 AM »

I got a little note from Disney saying the made-for-home video TINKER BELL AND THE LOST TREASURE on Blu-ray has been shipped. I might even get it tomorrow, and if I do, I'll likely do it before WINGS OF DESIRE. Tink comes out on October 27th, and WINGS on November 3rd.

I hope this new TInker Bell adventure is better than the first one. Of course, they had to establish her backstory in that one, so in the new one, we can just have the adventure.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: October 15, 2009, 06:34:48 AM »

DR Michael S, I hope your father's condition is nothing too serious. I'll be thinking good thoughts for him.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #38 on: October 15, 2009, 06:38:25 AM »

No, not really. For me, the most convenient aspect of having an ethernet connection is that the player can get firmware upgrades over the net without having to download them onto a memory stick or burn a CD just for an upgrade. (And upgrades are important because the studios keep changing protection on their discs to prevent piracy and some discs won't play on older players without the upgrades.)

Hmmm...looking further into this model's specs, I see that it does have a USB port and something called BD Live, which I guess does allow for internet connectivity via a network adapter (like my Tivo) so I guess it would allow for the firmware updates you mention.  Still, I'm seeing that there are better models available on Amazon for not much more money so I think I will pass on this woot offering.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #39 on: October 15, 2009, 06:45:20 AM »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2009, 06:48:29 AM »

I've been spending the past couple of nights catching up with a backlog of episodes of shows such as PROJECT RUNWAY, THE AMAZIN' RACE, etc  last night I watched the second and third episodes of FLASHFORWARD.  What I find with this show is that it seems like it's playing its cards out too quickly (I felt that in the first episode as well.)  The writing is also heavy handed and hammy (it's already reminding me of INVASION.)  But I like the cast and I do find the mystery intriguing enough to stick with it for now.
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: October 15, 2009, 06:52:16 AM »

I'm going to head down now and get cleaned up for lunch out today with friends. I think I'm going to have turn on my central heat. The house is feeling a bit chilly, and I'm not feeling very comfortable now that I've cooled down from my walk and exercising.

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #42 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:03 AM »

Vibes for the father of DR MICHAEL S.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:36 AM »

So many pretty songs already listed.....to them I will add:

Kiss the Girl - The Little Mermaid

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #44 on: October 15, 2009, 07:03:56 AM »

Read all of the Adriana reviews again, and rated them HELPFUL, which I hadn't done yet!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: October 15, 2009, 07:08:27 AM »

Yes DR JOSE - Mario plays the same character - there was even a nice flashback to the shower scene with him and Christian.

He is now working with the boys - specializing in lady parts.  The show is as crazy and illogical as ever.

Like DR MATTH I am weary of the wife drama on GLEE, but last night was a funny episode.  I guess Sue's theme music will be CARMINA BURANA for the rest of the season, and her dialog was very funny. Next week looks like it might suggest some anarchy that I hope students don't pick up in schools around the country.  I think Ryan Murphy - like most writers - forgets he is writing for teenage characters, not adult characters when he has some of the kids says things....but at least there was no Kristin Chenowith to completely throw the balance of the show off.  Hopefully she won't come back or be referenced again.  Once more and no matter what - I'm done.  I'm glad she has her fans, but include me out.  :P
« Last Edit: October 15, 2009, 07:15:18 AM by JRand59 »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #46 on: October 15, 2009, 07:18:56 AM »

That's my problem with Blu-Ray and why I hate it.  It is too high maintenance.

With DVD, even with a Blu-Ray player, you just pop it into the machine and within a few seconds, it plays.  There is no upgrading firmware or anything like that. 

[Frankly, I know nothing about how to get or do the upgrades.  Yes, I admit that I'm a technical dunce, and I don't have the time or desire to deal with upgrades every few weeks.]

The other night, I started to watch SNOW WHITE on Blu-Ray.  The opening trailers played okay, but when it came time to watch the film itself, it just froze for 10 minutes, and the digital readout on the machine said "Slide Show".

Finally, I gave up and watched the DVD disc that came with the set.  It looked great.

I'll stick with DVD on my Blu-Ray player.

You can dream…or you can do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: October 15, 2009, 07:32:29 AM »

I am having a tough time stomaching Mario Lopez these days on Extra.  I don't know whether he is being scripted or not, but his bitchy "off-the-cuff" comments about the celebreties the show reports on are making him out to be a colossal sleezeball.  It's getting to the point where I'm considering tuning out and missing his once-a-week shirtlessness.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: October 15, 2009, 07:45:45 AM »

LOL....Mario is just waiting for the next gig.  I think they're probably scripted, but I don't watch the Entertainment show he "reports" on - so I can't be sure.

I am watching SENIOR PROM on TCM.....never saw it before.  Interesting cast including Tom Laughlin.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #49 on: October 15, 2009, 07:50:10 AM »

Druxy, I used to get that "Slide Show" problem on my old Samsung (IIRC--I've had 3 BD players).  A firmware upgrade solved it.  Firmware is very easy--either do it over the internet if you're connected, or just order a disc from the manufacturer and pop it in.  It's not a big deal, and believe me I'm a technophobe about stuff like that.

Today begins our jaunt to Wisconsin, or at least the preps for it (we leave in the middle of the night tonight).  Anyone who cares to send flying vibes to me will be blessed with untold fame and fortune.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

MBarnum

« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »

Is there any way to search the old HHW board? I am trying to find the first mention of GUMNAAM by BK or whoever watched it first.

MBarnum

« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2009, 07:53:22 AM »

I am with you Druxy, as far as the BD technical updates...that is one thing that has kept me from investing in it. I would get kind of cranky if the movie wouldn't play until I did an update. That, and the fact that there are so far very few movies on BD that I want, yet.

Someday, perhaps.

MBarnum

« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2009, 07:54:49 AM »

Last night I watched the new program THE FORGOTTEN. I lasted about 10 minutes. The cast was very annoying. I liked the idea of the show, but it needs recasting and the writers from CASTLE.

Ben

« Reply #53 on: October 15, 2009, 07:55:12 AM »

Is there any way to search the old HHW board? I am trying to find the first mention of GUMNAAM by BK or whoever watched it first.

It was in the Notes titled

Lard on a Cheese Stick

dated

September 05, 2004, at 02:59:07 AM

and JR mentioned it.

Ben

« Reply #54 on: October 15, 2009, 07:59:03 AM »

Of course, that doesn't tell you how to do it but that's the first reference.

Click on Search at the top of the page.

Set your search parameters but use Advanced Search to do this.

Click Choose a Board to Search In and look at the boards where it might be including Daily Notes and Archives.

Put in GUMNAAM in Search For and then click Search. You should get two pages of results with the latest being Septemeber 2009 and the earliest being September 2004

Ben

« Reply #55 on: October 15, 2009, 08:01:18 AM »

You, Larry, JR, Bruce, Kerry, Rodzinski, TCB, DAW (SingDaw back then) and Jose seem to be the only people drawn to this movie because you are the only ones who talk about it ;)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2009, 08:04:02 AM »

I've caught up on all of bk's notes!  The vacation was fun, although hotter than I would have liked.  Hotter than when I was there in July in 2007.  I'm glad to be back home.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2009, 08:04:26 AM »

Vibes to Daddy of Michael S and safe travels there!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2009, 08:06:36 AM »

TOD: “When Somebody Loved Me” from Toy Story (Randy Newman was robbed---he should have won an Oscar...one of the most perfect and perfectly realized animated movie songs EVER)
“All in a Golden Afternoon” from Disney’s Alice in Wonderland (Thanks, Elmore!)
"Think About Your Troubles" from The Point
"Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" from Yellow Submarine
"Hi Diddle Dee Dee (An Actor's Life For Me)" from Pinocchio
"I Wanna Be Like You" from The Jungle Book
"Cruella De Ville" from 101 Dalmatians
“The Money Cat” from Gay Purr-ee
"It's a 'B' Movie" from The Brave Little Toaster

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

MBarnum

« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2009, 08:13:45 AM »

Of course, that doesn't tell you how to do it but that's the first reference.

Click on Search at the top of the page.

Set your search parameters but use Advanced Search to do this.

Click Choose a Board to Search In and look at the boards where it might be including Daily Notes and Archives.

Put in GUMNAAM in Search For and then click Search. You should get two pages of results with the latest being Septemeber 2009 and the earliest being September 2004

I tried that but could only seem to find stuff from the current version of HHW. I was thinking it was first mentioned on the old version of the board, but maybe it was not.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up