Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Down

Author Topic: AWAY WE GO  (Read 16746 times)

MBarnum

Re: AWAY WE GO
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2009, 07:00:36 AM »

*And, Thanks, for the link on your Blog Roll, DR MBarnum. -I guess that means I should start blogging again. ::)

Yes, it does!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2009, 07:07:48 AM »

Working today, of course.  And anticipating a fine TAR whenever it starts tonight.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2009, 07:19:13 AM »

My niece and I just made 24 banana muffins and 2 banana breads. Yum!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2009, 07:20:30 AM »

OMG! How did I miss that DR Arnold had gone in for a hernia oepration! ???

Feel better wishes to you, DR Arnold! I hope things can get back to normal as soon as possible.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2009, 07:21:32 AM »

Good morning!

Had to wear sweat pants instead of shorts for my walk this morning. It was very chilly!

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2009, 07:26:53 AM »

On the topic of GUYS AND DOLLS's score:

I agree. It's one of the very greatest scores ever written for Broadway. And can you believe it didn't win the Tony for Best Score!

Irving Berlin won for CALL ME MADAM which is a good score but can't hold a candle to GUYS AND DOLLS!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2009, 07:27:09 AM »

Good morning, all! I got in very late (for me), so I slept in this morning. I have several phone calls to return from yesterday and at 2 pm or so I will meet Bruce Pomahac for a concert of Kalman's operetta SARI at Merkin Hall, performed by the folk from Philadelphia whose concert we attended several weekends ago. I'm very happy I cleaned the apartment yesterday because I am completely wiped out this morning and hung over.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Healing Vibes to Our DR Arnold Brockman! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2009, 07:29:34 AM »

I agree that GUYS & DOLLS is a great score!  Love the songs - but if the show isn't cast correctly, it can be a chore to sit through, at least for me.  I have seen some sad Adelaides and some pretty terrible Nathans and Sky(s). Some of them all in the same production.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2009, 07:34:47 AM »

I agree that GUYS & DOLLS is a great score!  Love the songs - but if the show isn't cast correctly, it can be a chore to sit through, at least for me.  I have seen some sad Adelaides and some pretty terrible Nathans and Sky(s). Some of them all in the same production.

I didn't realize you had made it to NYC for the latest G&D revival, DR Jrand?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2009, 07:36:20 AM »

I agree. It's one of the very greatest scores ever written for Broadway. And can you believe it didn't win the Tony for Best Score!

Irving Berlin won for CALL ME MADAM which is a good score but can't hold a candle to GUYS AND DOLLS!

I agree wholeheartedly! CALL ME MADAM has 4 or 5 great Berlin songs but I'm not crazy about the rest of it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:32 AM »

My work project A for today is the 1994 version of MIRACLE ON 34th STREET. I can't say I'm thrilled to be watching this again, but maybe the Blu-ray will look glorious.

Of course, BONES episodes will continue to be viewed.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2009, 07:39:59 AM »

LOL DR JOSE....those reviews were (justifiably) brutal....

And don't forget DR's from NYC - pick those BBB souvenirs up off the street!

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2009, 07:42:52 AM »

I agree wholeheartedly! CALL ME MADAM has 4 or 5 great Berlin songs but I'm not crazy about the rest of it.

To the best of my research, Frank Loesser never won a TOny. His scores for HOW TO SUCCEED IN BUSINESS nor MOST HAPPY FELLA lost to other scores (OLIVER! and MY FAIR LADY).

Did he get one for being one of the producers of THE MUSIC MAN?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:48:49 AM by Matt H. »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2009, 07:46:51 AM »

I have forgotten to post how much I am enjoying the CRY FOR US ALL cd!  I had read about the show in a couple of books, but I didn't know any of the music.

It is most entertaining.  I like the score - the lyrics, are a bit "jingle-y" but have some charm.  The music is very nice.  I like Mr Weede's songs, of course particularly "The Mayor's Chair".  Steve Arlen I had never heard of - but his solos are glorious.

I think Joan Diener is also grand.  But she just sings TOO MUCH.  I guess maybe she was a great Aldonza because she sang only a few songs.....and NOT all night.  It gets to be TOO MUCH for me.  And I guess she was tired of just wearing one ugly outfit in a show and decided she had to have a LOT of clothes for CRY FOR US ALL.  One critic referred to her range of expressions as "pancake makeup."  BUT her songs "How Are You, Since?" and "The Verandah Waltz" (purloined in tryouts from Halen Gallagher), are so lovely, you can almost forgive her other songs later in the show.

Don't like the street rats - kids who sing plot points.  The most joy is from Miss Helen Gallagher who sings a short ditty called  "Swing Your Bag" that makes me laugh and want to choreograph the whole show!  The title song is also quite interesting.

So - I guess what I'm saying is - if it's still available and you're on the fence - buy it.

FJL

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »

As we may have discussed, the very same still-active Albert Marre of CRY FOR US ALL and (of course) MAN OF LA MANCHA fame was the director of the readings of the GLASS MENAGERIE musical adaptation BLUE ROSES, which DR Julie and I had the joy of seeing at the York Theatre on Thursday night. 

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2009, 07:55:06 AM »

I still have quite a bit of TV on the DVR. I guess I'll try to get through UGLY BETTY today while I cook and eat lunch. Still have MONK and PSYCH and LAW & ORDER  to watch. I also recorded SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE from last night's HBO-HD. I never have seen the movie, so once I can find the time, I'll get to see what all the shouting was about from last season's Oscar race.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2009, 07:56:41 AM by Matt H. »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2009, 08:00:10 AM »

Well, I think I'm going to take a walk along the river while Steve gets some practicing done.  The Richmond Men's Chorus and the newly formed Richmond Women's Chorus have their first concert of the season coming up this Saturday, so he's learning and playing double the amount of music he normally learns and plays.  Or something like that.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2009, 08:05:13 AM »

DR FJL - I guess I missed your post about the show....did it follow the form of THE GLASS MENAGERIE?  I am most intrigued....but a bit scared by the whole concept.

But of course now, I am off to work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »

Well, I think I'm going to take a walk along the river while Steve gets some practicing done.  The Richmond Men's Chorus and the newly formed Richmond Women's Chorus have their first concert of the season coming up this Saturday, so he's learning and playing double the amount of music he normally learns and plays.  Or something like that.

That a lot of music.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2009, 08:24:42 AM »

OK, my morning surf is over, so I need to head down to get started on the laundry and then decide what it is I want to fix for lunch.

WBBL.

FJL

« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2009, 08:30:58 AM »

Jrand - The keepers of the Tennessee Williams estate appear to be involved at just about every step; they were there at the afternoon performance on Thursday, and I gather that perf had gone well as well. 

The writers (whom i know from when we were all students at the BMI Workshop) must be thrilled with how it all went.  The composer, by the way, is the great Nancy Ford (of Ford and Cryer fame, or is it Cryer and Ford).

Cillaliz

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2009, 09:22:51 AM »

Recovery vibes to DR Arnold Brockman

Cillaliz

« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2009, 09:28:06 AM »

Catching up on cleaning etc around the house today.  Doing laundry right now.  I really need to clean out the garage today (one side is where I park the other storage) so I can get all my outside stuff I put in for the winter put away.  We're going to have another rainy week ahead and more cold weather. Raking can wait for now, but doesn't look like we're going to have fall here, so I may as well get ready for winter.

Cillaliz

« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2009, 09:29:34 AM »

There is a Super Latke dinner just down the street.  I love to go for the bake sale etc.   Think I'll head that direction, I could use the walk

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2009, 09:53:30 AM »

I aplogize for being off the site. My Hernia operation has hit me pretty hard and I am hurting. You'll be hearing from me soon

Healing vibes for DR Arnold!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2009, 09:55:53 AM »

DR Laura - Thanks for the pics of the Flora, Fauna and Dinosaur. :)

Wasn't Liza the Flora?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: October 18, 2009, 10:23:58 AM »

I'm up, I'm up.  What a good night's sleep I had, albeit with some strange dreams.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 18, 2009, 10:26:02 AM »

First off, excellent vibes and xylophones for dear reader Arnold M. Brockman to feel better sooner than soon.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28:09 AM »

Glad to hear The Glass Menagerie was good.  Funnily, back in 1969 in the Lehman Engel Workshop Menagerie was one of two shows he thought impossible to musicalize - and therefore those two shows were always given as assignments to see what the writers could come up with.  I wonder if Miss Cryer and Miss Ford, who were around back then, just really liked their song enough to resurrect it all these years later :)  The other show was Streetcar. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28:56 AM »

I first saw Guy and Dolls onstage at the Bluth Brothers theater, which I write about extensively (and fictionally) in Kritzer Time.  It was a great production.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11   Go Up