Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: WINDY  (Read 12390 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: WINDY
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2009, 07:19:22 AM »

GLEE is not on tonight due to the World Series.

CBS' CRIMINAL MINDS and CSI: NY are reruns tonight. (Sweeps start tomorrow, so you won't be seeing reruns for most shows for the next three-four weeks).

ABC's comedy block (which includes the sensational MODERN FAMILY) are new episodes tonight!

Thanks, DR Matt H! Tonight I can finally watch MODERN FAMILY.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2009, 07:19:37 AM »

I just checked: no UPS deliveries this morning. I'm guessing those Hitchcock films (SUSPICION, THE WRONG MAN, STRANGERS ON A TRAIN, I CONFESS) will arrive with the USPS today. We'll see.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm cooking eggs. -Actually "hard boiling", well, rather "hard cooking" them, since I don't leave the eggs in boiling water for the entire cooking time. (I just bring the water to boil, turn the heat off, cover the pot, and leave for 17 minutes.)
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2009, 07:21:54 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm cooking eggs. -Actually "hard boiling", well, rather "hard cooking" them, since I don't leave the eggs in boiling water for the entire cooking time. (I just bring the water to boil, turn the heat off, cover the pot, and leave for 17 minutes.)

I had oatmeal.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2009, 07:22:21 AM »

Delighted to see DR Arnold back in the swing of things! He is always missed when he's gone from our midst.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2009, 07:27:49 AM »

Playbill.com has published production photos from FINIAN'S RAINBOW:
http://www.playbill.com/multimedia/gallery/768
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2009, 07:35:45 AM »

bk - I understood what you were saying in your Notes yesterday.  -Thus my "As for the Topic of the Day... sort of..."

I guess I had ended up riffing on something that I was talking about the other day with some friends: What would happen if so-and-so walked into an audition today? What kind of comments would be made? and would they be cast? Could they be cast in "today's" shows?... Gwen Verdon, Tommy Tune, Bob Fosse, Liza Minelli, etc., etc., etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2009, 07:37:34 AM »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2009, 07:38:04 AM »

I'll be writing my rent check today.

I'll put it in the mail tomorrow.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2009, 07:38:29 AM »

A bird just flew past one of our 6th floor windows.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2009, 07:39:15 AM »

Goodness but Bruce's notes were airy today.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2009, 07:39:20 AM »

Good Morning!

I had oatmeal.

I'm actually thinking of having oatmeal for lunch. I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2009, 07:40:02 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Has the Bay Bridge reopened yet?
Make Your Own Luck.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2009, 07:50:15 AM »

So what constitutes moving out of your parents' house?  I think I still had stuffed stored there until I finally got married.  I guess my first place was on North Broadway in Lexington, Kentucky, after the year I graduated, when I was building up a stake to go somewhere else.   It was a third floor apartment of a converted old house that I shared with my erstwhile theatre arts chum, Roger Leasor.  He had the turrett room, I had a strange cozy nook with a slanting roof.  We had a spacious living room, small kitchen, and a sizable bathroom with only a shower, no tub.  Very Bohemian.  I think we paid eighty bucks.

My next place was in Odessa, Texas, in an apartment above a converted garage, behind the house of the lady who founded the theatre I was working at -- The Globe of the Great Southwest.  It was free, came with the gig, but she was a very Christian lady and allowed no visitors of the female persuasion.  I managed to smuggle a few past her anyway.  Oddly enough, she kept trying to get me to go to church by telling me, they had a lot of "nice, pretty young girls" there...Imagine that, pimping for Christ.

In Dallas, I started out in a small efficiency with no kitchen, only a small refrigerator.  Then I graduated to a two-bedroom duplex, rooming with Larry Drake.  Since one or the other of us was usually on the road, it was like have the place to oneself most of the time.

When I moved to LA, I started in a spacious efficiency with a huge kitchen on Beachwood Avenue.  It cost $205 and allowed pets, so Hotspur and I took it.  The day we moved in, I watched from my window as they began to tear down the old Hollywood sign and rebuild the new one.  I figured that was a good omen. I had a lot of my stuff from Home shipped out here.

When Larry Drake came out a year later, we rented a bungalow together on Ivar, right below Marie Dressler's old home (now apartments) across the street was the Alta Nido, the apartments that William Holden came out of when he was ducking the car repossessors in SUNSET BOULEVARD.  And right across the street from us was an apartment building Nathaniel West had lived in when he wrote DAY OF THE LOCUST...the bungalows we lived in, there since 1926, were probably the ones he was writing about in that novel.   

After Larry moved out to live with a grilfriend, Julieanne and I lived here until I bought my first house up in the old Hollywoodland development.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2009, 07:51:05 AM »

TOD:   My first "place" away from my parents' house  -- outisde of college dormitories and Navy barracks -- was in Vicenza, Italy.  I was stationed there in 1973 and was one of two Navy men assigned to this U.S. Army post which was the headquarters for the U.S. Army Southern European Task Force (or, SETAF).  The Army was the "host military branch" for the Armed Forces Radio Service in Italy and Vicenza was the only radio station for the armed forces in Italy.

I lived in a barracks room for about a month, but finally found a nice third-floor two-bedroom apartment on "the economy" (which is the term we military types overseas used to refer to living among the host locals).  The kitchen was small, the living area was a nice size and there was a dining room.  All the rooms fanned out around an entry foyer.  It was never fancy....I signed for Army furniture that was already there from the previous tenants, and I bought, or had made, some shelving and other stuff I needed. 

But it was mine.  It was a place where I taught myself how to cook.  It was a place where I could listen to anything on my stereo that I wanted to listen to.  I had to answer no questions or explain myself to anyone.   And, of course, it meant I could have anyone over any time I wanted to.   I had some nice get-togethers with friends and co-workers.  I developed a taste for Italian wine and for Puccini and spent many hours on one of my two balconies sipping wine and relishing "Turandot".

I had a commanding view of farm lands from the balcony off my living room and from the balcony off my bedroom (front and back).  I could see the rooftops of the Army post from the living room balcony.  From the bedroom balcony I had a view of the city to the far right, lots of fields everywhere in the immediate vicinity and a mountain was on the other side of the fields, atop which was a monastery.  In the middle of the fields behind my apartment sat a building called "La Rotonda".  It was designed by architect Andrea Palladio...and was the inspiration for the central portion of Jefferson's "Monticello."  I arrived in Vicenza in March 1973 and was in my apartment by April.  This was a season for fog in the Veneto region.  And when it wasn't at ground level, it seemed to hover over everything like clouds.  It is very much like it is in the Bay Area, except that here the fog normally burns off by late afternoon.   There, in the 1970s, we didn't get a burn-off...possibly because of the heavy industrialization of northern Italy.  On the first clear, fog-free day I lived in that apartment, I discovered that I had a view of the Dolomites (the Italian alps) and that they were immense, although far away.   The skyline of the city of Vicenza looked amazing set against those snow-covered peaks.

I was a five-minute drive -- or a 10-minute bicycle ride -- from the Army post and my workplace.  The major distance between us was corn fields...and in the foggy evenings or mornings, riding my bicycle on the road between those fields was extremely eerie.  I kept remembering "Harvest Home" and wondering if something would jump out and get me.

« Last Edit: October 28, 2009, 08:36:06 AM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #45 on: October 28, 2009, 07:53:31 AM »

DR Ron Pulliam - Has the Bay Bridge reopened yet?

No.  It's closed "indefinitely" pending proper repairs.   Lots of confusion this morning with commuters.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #46 on: October 28, 2009, 07:53:44 AM »

My move out was a bit of a family trauma.  My mother was not especially easy to be around, and I simply up and moved out one night when my Dad was out of town on military business and my Mom was out playing bridge.  I moved into a sweet little basement two bedroom apartment in a converted Victorian in SLC's Avenues neighborhood, with my girlfriend at the time.  It was scary (I was only 17), and I still remember lying on the floor (we didn't even have a bed) that first night wondering what I would do now.  ;)  Several decades later, I'm still wondering.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #47 on: October 28, 2009, 08:04:06 AM »

TOD:

I went back home to live with my parents after college so I could get my teaching career going and I could work on my masters degree. (It was definitely in the wind that a BA or BS might not hold up in the years to come in terms of keeping one's job. Believe it or not, teachers were VERY plentiful when I got out of school, and one had to be really lucky to secure a teaching position in public school then.)

I didn't begin working on my masters until after  my first year of teaching. When I finally got it and had saved enough money to go off on my own, I moved into a one bedroom garden apartment in CHarlotte (about 40 miles from my parents' home).

I loved that apartment for my first dwelling away from home. Being an apartment, I only had to keep it clean. Maintenance worries (burst pipes, cracks in the plaster, etc.) were all handled by the property management, so it was a great way for me to live away but not have to worry about upkeep of property apart from keeping the place clean.

I was on the first floor of a two story/four apartment unit. I had a quiet upstairs neighbor and a lovely elderly couple who lived next door (brought to Charlotte working for PTL, the relgious network owned by Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker) who would come over when they weren't slaving at PTL and listen to me play the piano or just talk. They were only there a year of the two years I lived there since PTL took them for all their retirement savings and they could no longer afford the rent ($190 per month!)

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: October 28, 2009, 08:06:42 AM »

I guess I need to tidy up a few computer desktop matters and then head down to start thinking about what's for lunch. Hopefully, the mail will get here sooner than later and I can dive into a work project.

WBBL.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: October 28, 2009, 08:33:11 AM »

I guess I need to tidy up a few computer desktop matters and then head down to start thinking about what's for lunch. Hopefully, the mail will get here sooner than later and I can dive into a work project.

WBBL.

I could dive into a plate of brownies right now.

But....MUST....BE.....GOOD!

DAW

« Reply #50 on: October 28, 2009, 08:34:57 AM »

MUST....BE.....GOOD!

Not on our account, I hope.       ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #51 on: October 28, 2009, 08:37:08 AM »

MUST....BE.....GOOD!

Not on our account, I hope.       ;)

Allay those fears, DR DAW...

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2009, 08:42:15 AM »

I did agree to move back home several years later after my father had a near fatal heart attack and my Mother begged me to come back and help with chores.  In return they pretty much just ceded the entire basement of their semi-palatial manse in the mountains outside of SLC to me.  It was probably my junior year in college, which due to my early entrance and qualifying testing out of basics, means I was probably around 18, and I have very fond memories of driving my mother crazy listening to a lot of Richard Strauss whilst I followed along on the orchestral scores.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jennifer

« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2009, 08:46:44 AM »

GLEE is not on tonight due to the World Series.

CBS' CRIMINAL MINDS and CSI: NY are reruns tonight. (Sweeps start tomorrow, so you won't be seeing reruns for most shows for the next three-four weeks).

ABC's comedy block (which includes the sensational MODERN FAMILY) are new episodes tonight!

I know AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL is on tonight.  Is LAW & ORDER SVU on? Is it usually on on saturdays? I don't watch it but noticed it in my tv guide.

Laura

« Reply #54 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:01 AM »

The pastor's wife is coming to play with kittens today. She hasn't seen them since she stuck them with the needles to give them fluids. They have grown.

I hope none of the kittens hiss at her.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: October 28, 2009, 08:52:22 AM »

Oops, it's Ask BK Day, so ask away.  I was so overtired last night I'd be surprised if the notes were coherent at all.  I'm up now - wanted to get more sleep but some oaf somewhere was using a blower and eight-thirty.  The wind is still with us but not as bad as yesterday at least for now. 

DAW

« Reply #56 on: October 28, 2009, 08:54:28 AM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 28, 2009, 08:54:55 AM »

bk - I understood what you were saying in your Notes yesterday.  -Thus my "As for the Topic of the Day... sort of..."

I guess I had ended up riffing on something that I was talking about the other day with some friends: What would happen if so-and-so walked into an audition today? What kind of comments would be made? and would they be cast? Could they be cast in "today's" shows?... Gwen Verdon, Tommy Tune, Bob Fosse, Liza Minelli, etc., etc., etc.

Well, that's a REALLY interesting discussion.  I think Gwen Verdon would not get a callback today - they wouldn't understand that voice or her look, because, well, she doesn't look like anyone else and there just aren't unique-looking people trodding the boards these days.  They're all interchangeable so that when someone leaves a show they're replaced easily.  Tommy Tune?  Too TALL.  Too SKINNY. 

DAW

« Reply #58 on: October 28, 2009, 08:55:25 AM »

some oaf somewhere was using a blower at eight-thirty. 

Why use a blower when it's WINDY?          ;)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #59 on: October 28, 2009, 09:02:43 AM »

some oaf somewhere was using a blower at eight-thirty. 

Why use a blower when it's WINDY?          ;)

Hence the "oaf" reference.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up