Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: A PARADE IN TOWN  (Read 23494 times)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
Re: A PARADE IN TOWN
« Reply #30 on: October 30, 2009, 06:27:25 AM »

I watched the other features on the first disc, too, which included the cartoon short which preceded UP in theaters, another new short featuring the adorable character of Dug which seems like it could have been inserted into the movie (they do these with all of their animated features going back to MONSTERS INC.)

There's an interesting documentary on the expedition that members of the production team took to Venezuela scouting the locations for the film's fictional Paradise Falls area (the Angel Falls region is astounding).

And there was a featurette on the various ways they attempted to deal with the elimination of the villain in the movie, and we see lots of storyboard and rough animation ideas that they discarded.

I would be very interested in seeing that last featurette.  I was sort of shocked by how the villain was ultimately dealt with in UP, which I believe was a first for a Pixar film.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2009, 06:29:32 AM »

Page Two Dance:

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2009, 06:33:05 AM »

I have no idea what I will watch this weekend. 

However, 2 nights ago I watched a very cute caper comedy, THE MAIDEN HEIST.  Stars Morgan Freeman, Christopher Walken, William H. Macy and Marcia Gay Harden.  It's well worth a look.
You can dream…or you can do.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2009, 06:43:38 AM »

re: computer problems last night DR Cillaliz wrote:

I think it's the most recent updates. They caused me some problems too, but my computer seems to be working fine now

Okay but what did you do to make it work again?

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2009, 06:45:00 AM »

Congrats to DR Elmore!

Jennifer

« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2009, 06:46:57 AM »

I have to remember to bring my camera today, because my niece is dressed up as Cinderella for daycare. Apparently a lot of the girls are disney princesses.

She can't wear that costume tomorrow because it will be too cold. although they are saying it will be 17C which is ridiculously hot for this time of year (it's around 65F). That would be amazing. Although it is supposed to rain tomorrow. Hopefully it will stop by 5pm.

Jennifer

« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2009, 06:50:04 AM »

In my DVR:

last night's THE MENTALIST
last night's SAVING GRACE (we are behind here)
FLASHFORWARD (i still have all the episodes so far saved)
last night's VAMPIRE DIARIES

Jennifer

« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2009, 06:50:19 AM »

I always loved the cd of PARADE.

MBarnum

« Reply #38 on: October 30, 2009, 06:51:06 AM »

TOD:

DVD:
Some scary monster movies because it is Halloween. Maybe NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD or BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN.

DVR:
Last nights THE OFFICE and SURVIVOR and probably some more SEA HUNT episodes.

CD:
A compilation CD titled DESERT ROSES

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #39 on: October 30, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »

I watched the other features on the first disc, too, which included the cartoon short which preceded UP in theaters, another new short featuring the adorable character of Dug which seems like it could have been inserted into the movie (they do these with all of their animated features going back to MONSTERS INC.)

There's an interesting documentary on the expedition that members of the production team took to Venezuela scouting the locations for the film's fictional Paradise Falls area (the Angel Falls region is astounding).

And there was a featurette on the various ways they attempted to deal with the elimination of the villain in the movie, and we see lots of storyboard and rough animation ideas that they discarded.

I would be very interested in seeing that last featurette.  I was sort of shocked by how the villain was ultimately dealt with in UP, which I believe was a first for a Pixar film.

It is quite interesting, and hearing the director talk about all the ideas and seeing some of them animated in rough form gives a fascinating insight into the multitude of decisions that have to be made before these films get released. No wonder they are years in development and production.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: October 30, 2009, 06:53:14 AM »

I loved the CD of PARADE when it first came out and listened to it several times. Then, it went on a shelf and I haven't listened to it since. So many CDs, so little time. . . .

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: October 30, 2009, 06:54:20 AM »

Heading down now to get cleaned up for my usual later Friday outing. Then I'll likely watch something from the DVR (PROJECT RUNWAY more than likely; I'll save THE MENTALIST for when I eat lunch).

WBBL.

DAW

« Reply #42 on: October 30, 2009, 07:26:08 AM »

The [revised] UK cast recording is also well worth a listen:

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #43 on: October 30, 2009, 07:26:27 AM »

I have to confess that I've never listened to the PARADE score or even bought the CD for that matter.  It was a show that just never called out to me.
-- Anaïs Nin

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: October 30, 2009, 07:29:19 AM »

Good morning, all! I guess we are a hit, and hopefully our ticket sales will zoom. The mood at the party was that with our reviews there will definitely be a new recording very soon.

So, to the rest of my day after I signed off on HHW around 4:15: I arrived at the theatre with my packages around 5:10, and I went looking for Rob Berman, the musical director, to give him his gift as well as a copy of the new GOLDEN APPLE score that had fortuitously arrived in the mail yesterday. Rob took me down to the stage manager's office where there was a pile of gifts waiting for me. I set director Warren's gift on his pile of CDs, found Joshie and gave him his, and sat in on Warren's last notes to the cast. They were funny, sentimental, and very sweet. He told us he was the fifth director Encores! approached, and I can only say thank you, God, Jesus, Buddah, whoever, because any of those earlier four could have kiled this production. David Richenthal, our major producer wth Jack Viertel of Encores!, also spoke; he's been trying to get FINIAN'S RAINBOW into the works for several years. Then, at 6:00 we had the gypsy robe ceremony, which takes place on the stage. Since I'm an idiot, I coldn't tell you all the detals or exactly when the thing began around 1950 - I know CALL ME MADAM was either the first or second show to begin the tradition - or some of the order of the ceremony. At its end, the winner whose name I forget ran three times around the circle of guests in conter clockwise motion to touch everyone for luck. It was, like all logdge initiations, both a little silly and very moving.

Then the show, which played to a filled house of audience, family and friends of the cast, and it was quite an event, with lots of applause and three numbers bringing the show to a halt with big cheers and yells: "If This Isn't Love," and the two comedy numbers "Necessity" and "The Begat," the two numbers, incidentally, that were my fovorites when I first heard the entire 1960 cast recording. Everyone was really in topnotch form last night and the show played really solidly. the orchestra sounded fantastic, and Chris Fitzgerald's "When I'm Not Near the Girl I Love" was a great 11 o-clock number. nly last night it was a great 10 o'clock number.

I have to run to physiical therapy, so I will tell about the party when I return.

TOD:
   DVD: three Netflix items arrived in the mail yesterday. I have no idea what they are!
   CD: A lot of Gilbert & Sullivan, Guy Haines, Liz Callaway
   VCR: last night's REAL HOUSEWIVES reunion, some smut
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2009, 07:36:17 AM »

DR Elmore  ;D  :-*  ;D
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DAW

« Reply #46 on: October 30, 2009, 07:36:28 AM »

The mood at the party was that with our reviews there will definitely be a new recording very soon.

:D   :D   :D   :D   :D  :D   :D   :D   :D   :D   :D

Thanks for the report, DR elmore3003.   So exciting!    :)

DAW

« Reply #47 on: October 30, 2009, 07:37:14 AM »

I've never listened to the PARADE score or even bought the CD

Return your toaster.  Immediately.        ;)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #48 on: October 30, 2009, 08:12:06 AM »

Elmore-

CONGRATULATIONS -To You and The Cast Of Finian's,

The Bestest Musical Ever Written IMHO !!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #49 on: October 30, 2009, 08:13:27 AM »

I've never listened to the PARADE score or even bought the CD

Return your toaster.  Immediately.        ;)

Are we talking about the same PARADE?  I didn't think that PARADE rated that far up in the toaster lexicon.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #50 on: October 30, 2009, 08:20:16 AM »

Elmore, you must be in Seventh Heaven, except that show was a flop.  ;)

DR TD, I hope you know my comment yesterday (as in much of my HHW "oeuvre") was tongue in cheek.  Our local Border's has some really brain dead people.  I am typically told things are not in stock, or they have never heard of them, and then after spending several minutes poking around the store, I find what I've been looking for.  They're especially lame brained about their DVD/Blu-ray selection, which was downsized considerably last year.  In fact, I'm not sure if I've been back since they downsized, but I do have a wad of Border's Bucks to spend in November.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #51 on: October 30, 2009, 08:20:51 AM »

I have the LP of the Herman PARADE, signed by Jerry and all the cast members.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #52 on: October 30, 2009, 08:26:45 AM »

I only managed to get my MOROCCO review up yesterday, so today must be spent both finishing, taking screencaptures (which is really quite the chore due to interlacing artifacts which crop up even on progressive tv's due to the DVI splitter), and then writing up NATURAL BORN KILLERS as well as the most-awaited new release of the year, HD MOODS:  FIRE.  (Not).  And I have to get SUM OF ALL FEARS, an older catalog title, done, too.  I received a gigantic box of Digital Environments releases yesterday, too, but those are lower priority.  Unfortunately, they're also the hardest to review, as they are what I have termed "ambient television," basically wallpaper for your tv screen.

JMK

« Reply #53 on: October 30, 2009, 08:32:01 AM »

I hopefully will be getting VCI's new Blu-ray of the Sim CHRISTMAS CAROL today or tomorrow, so that will be fun to watch.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #54 on: October 30, 2009, 08:37:23 AM »

And the word of the day is: PESCATARIAN!

I once lived next door to a Pescatarian minister.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DAW

« Reply #55 on: October 30, 2009, 09:06:09 AM »

What was it, fish?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #56 on: October 30, 2009, 09:06:09 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm feeling much, much better.  Thank You for all the Vibes, they're doing their job.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #57 on: October 30, 2009, 09:07:58 AM »

Once again...

Congratulations to everyone involved with Finian's Rainbow!
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #58 on: October 30, 2009, 09:15:57 AM »

I've got my stocking stuffers for this holiday season!!

DAW

« Reply #59 on: October 30, 2009, 09:17:04 AM »

And for more handcrafted articles made of awesomness, head over to www.regretsy.com!!!     :D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15   Go Up