Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Down

Author Topic: A PARADE IN TOWN  (Read 23494 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: A PARADE IN TOWN
« Reply #60 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:05 AM »

I'm up, after a pretty good night's sleep.  I probably would have slept longer save for the gardeners next door at the new house where there is barely anything to garden.  They just love to make noise, I guess.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 30, 2009, 09:20:28 AM »

Congrats to elmore and Kevin and everyone connected to Finian's.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: October 30, 2009, 09:23:29 AM »

As for Parade...

I've always liked the score, and listen to it regularly (which means more than twice a year) just to keep it in my ear/head since the songs are frequently brought into auditions.  I never saw the original production, but wish I had - especially since I seemed to have worked with almost everyone who was in that show over the years.

*And I'm sort of glad(?) to hear that "Big News" has been cut - it still floors me every time anyone brings that song in for an audition.  Regardless of how well the singer knows it and how well the pianist knows it, that's definitely not a song that should be put together on the spot.  Just too many variables. Too many.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 30, 2009, 09:24:22 AM »

I don't mind saying on our discussion board that I HATED Parade when I saw it in NY - everything about it including the score.  But time has been good to it - all it takes is a plethora of junk for a decade for time to be good to something.  It's why some films that I thought were not so good from the 80s suddenly look much better now.  And I think the stripped-down orchestration really helps and the whole show seems more focused than it was in NY.  There are still things that bug me about it and that includes the lengthy Old Red Hills Of Home number.  One thing I really liked about this production was that the director took away all the buttons of the songs so that the crowd could not do that whooping and hollering after the big choral stuff - it worked, too - they couldn't do it - the only applause was after the opening number where there is a BEAT of silence so they got some in, and the same thing in act two's opening.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: October 30, 2009, 09:25:43 AM »

The two new songs are also not great, but they serve a purpose, I guess.  Is Big News different than Real Big News?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: October 30, 2009, 09:34:06 AM »

The two new songs are also not great, but they serve a purpose, I guess.  Is Big News different than Real Big News?

"Big News" and "Real Big News" are different songs, but they both are/were sung by Britt Craig (the wonderful Evan Pappas in the original production). "Big News" was a solo, while "Real Big News" has "back-up".
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: October 30, 2009, 09:37:46 AM »

Everyone at physical therapy is in costume today, only last year Gurjeet and Jennifer were dressed as McCain and Palin, and this year they're victims of a serial killer with knives and huge implements thrust through their heads, with lots of fake blood.

So, last night's partay was at the Bryant Park Cafe hich is a narrow and long space; I didn't realize we had the entire building so I spent over half the partay wondering where the cast was. I saw musicians and their spouses, the book adapter and his family, Brian the copyist and his writing partner, and other friends including producers Kevin Spirtas and his mother and partner, Jamie deRoy and David Zippel, and I also met Rob Berman's wonderful family: mother, father, and brother John who used to work for Warner-Elektra.

Around 11:30, as I was heading out, I learned the OTHER SIDE of the building was where the cast was strutting their stuff, so I wandered over to visit with them and to meet Warren Carlysle's family who had flown in from the UK. I spent some time with Jack Viertel, who told me the reviews were looking good, Rob Berman's partner choreographer Chase Brock and Chase's talented designer, Joshie and a lot of his friends. I would not recommendthis space again for a huge party but I like the place and the food - especially the salmon - was really delicious.

I have a bag of gifts to open so my last post on the event will be what I was given. First, I have to tidy the apartment.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: October 30, 2009, 09:39:10 AM »

"Big News" and "Real Big News" are different songs, but they both are/were sung by Britt Craig (the wonderful Evan Pappas in the original production). "Big News" was a solo, while "Real Big News" has "back-up".

I went into the original production of PARADE expecting to dislike it and liked it very much. That said, I've never played the CD after my first hearing of it, although I liked Don Sebesky's orcgestrations very much.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: October 30, 2009, 09:46:39 AM »

I've got my stocking stuffers for this holiday season!!

$10.00 and it's used???

Ew.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 30, 2009, 09:49:09 AM »

I guess my question is does Real Big News have different music - it seemed the same to me, but then I haven't heard the CD in ten years.

DAW

« Reply #70 on: October 30, 2009, 09:52:15 AM »

Also works with dogs, although the pork chops can get heavy:

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #71 on: October 30, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »

DR DAW - there are only four left in stock!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #72 on: October 30, 2009, 09:54:08 AM »

Lovely posts for DR ELMORE....if we can't be there an HHW ON THE SPOT DISPATCH is the next best thing.

Link to Opening Night Bows

http://www.broadwayworld.com/article/Photo_Coverage_FINIANS_RAINBOW_Celebrates_Opening_Night_on_Broadway_Curtain_Call_20091030
« Last Edit: October 30, 2009, 09:55:41 AM by JRand59 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: October 30, 2009, 09:57:13 AM »

DR JRand - You need a "s p a c e" or at least a carriage return/<ENTER> in that post.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #74 on: October 30, 2009, 09:57:37 AM »

Or an [IMG] link.  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: October 30, 2009, 10:01:25 AM »

I guess my question is does Real Big News have different music - it seemed the same to me, but then I haven't heard the CD in ten years.

Hmmm... Well, I guess "Real Big News" could sort of be called a "reprise" of "Big News" without being a true reprise of the musical material.  -If that makes sense. Both songs are definitely in and of the character of Britt Craig.
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #76 on: October 30, 2009, 10:06:18 AM »

Grrrrrrrr...

I didn't watch PROJECT RUNWAY last night, but now I'll probably know who will be auffed thanks to a somewhat revealing headline on MSNBC.com.  Don't go there until you've watched last night's episode!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #77 on: October 30, 2009, 10:06:37 AM »

DR elmore,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #78 on: October 30, 2009, 10:12:49 AM »

See if this clip reminds you of anything :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mriWzykyewA&feature=related

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #79 on: October 30, 2009, 10:20:50 AM »

Hmmmm...did Mr. Tune see that one beforehand?
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #80 on: October 30, 2009, 10:24:38 AM »

But weren't the "Follies" numbers in The Will Rogers Follies based on 'previous' follies numbers?  I mean, I know I had seen a "hand dance" before TWRF.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #81 on: October 30, 2009, 10:34:27 AM »

In other news...

For those DRs who are watching "Flash Forward", you may or may not want to read the New York Times 'FlashForward' Watch. This morning's installment is particularly droll.  -That is if "droll" is the right word. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #82 on: October 30, 2009, 10:35:50 AM »

Job vibes for DH of DR Dakota, DRs Kerry,  DAW , Jose, elmore & my DS Craig.   I hope I haven’t missed anyone.

Feel better vibes for DR Dakota, DR MBarnum, DR Jose, and anyone else who needs them.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #83 on: October 30, 2009, 10:36:58 AM »

But weren't the "Follies" numbers in The Will Rogers Follies based on 'previous' follies numbers?  I mean, I know I had seen a "hand dance" before TWRF.

True. and I shouldn't have put it that way.  One of Tommy Tune's strengths as a choreographer is taking something you might have see hundreds of times before and making it seem new and exciting (and in this case, just plain fun, too!)
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #84 on: October 30, 2009, 10:38:52 AM »

Thank you, DR Jane.      :)

DAW

« Reply #85 on: October 30, 2009, 10:39:35 AM »

Rolling Stone Magazine - The Golden Globes Edition:

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: October 30, 2009, 10:39:37 AM »

True. and I shouldn't have put it that way.  One of Tommy Tune's strengths as a choreographer is taking something you might have see hundreds of times before and making it seem new and exciting (and in this case, just plain fun, too!)

DR Dan (The Man) - You were fine.  However... ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #87 on: October 30, 2009, 10:41:47 AM »

After a while - since they kept performing that number on every show and TV apperance - all I could think of was: "I would hate to be an understudy/swing in the show."
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #88 on: October 30, 2009, 10:42:53 AM »

DR Dan (The Man) - You were fine.  However... ;)

Oh, if I had a dollar for all the times someone said that to me...
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #89 on: October 30, 2009, 10:44:31 AM »

DR JOSE I think I fixed the link....if not can you do so?  I am at work and tied up internet wise.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 15   Go Up