Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING  (Read 24194 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:IT'S GOOD TO BE THE KING
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2006, 10:24:42 AM »

DR MichaelS - Safe Travels!  Bring back lots of chocolate!

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #91 on: September 22, 2006, 10:25:26 AM »

OOHHH!!!!!!!

PAGE FOUR DANCE!!!!!!!

HOO

and

RAY!!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #92 on: September 22, 2006, 10:31:02 AM »

Cilla, go for the audition... You will be great!!
Broken leg vibes for you!!!

Love the animal rules posting!! Cute!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #93 on: September 22, 2006, 10:31:34 AM »

Hello DR Jose, long time no see, I hope all is well...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #94 on: September 22, 2006, 10:37:19 AM »

Auditions are fun, DRCILLALIZ.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #95 on: September 22, 2006, 10:52:47 AM »

Oh, also on my Media check:

THE QUIET DUEL (1949)...Toshiro Mifune is a doctor who gets a dose of syphilis...it sort of messes up his love life.

Cillaliz

« Reply #96 on: September 22, 2006, 10:55:47 AM »

Thanks for the encouragement.  I think I will audition.  The last 2 shows I was in were both musical revues one a Gershwin tribute and one a Cole Porter tribute. I had a blast doing them and should be able to easily work up one or two of my solos from those shows to use for an audition number.

I never seem to notice audition notices for plays here, but it seems everywhere I turn I'm seeing the notice for auditions for this revue, so maybe the universe is trying to tell me something.

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: September 22, 2006, 10:57:07 AM »

DR Cillaliz - Go for it-it's meant to be!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 10:57:46 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Cillaliz

« Reply #98 on: September 22, 2006, 11:10:18 AM »

Hey I just noticed I'm over 5000 posts. wow! I talk a lot don't I

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #99 on: September 22, 2006, 11:13:24 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check...

Lo and behold, I actually listened and watched some Media!

CD (via iPod Shuffle):
Debbie Gravitte - "Defying Gravity"
Marin Mazzie & Jason Daniely - "Opposite You"
Candide - OCR, 1974 Cast
[title of show] - OCR
"Jule Styne in Hollywood"
The Bens - "The Bens" (EP)
Beethoven - Diabelli Variations, Alfred Brendel (pianist)
Billy Elliott - OCR

DVD:
The Skin of Our Teeth - The Old Globe/PBS/American Playhouse/Broadway Theatre Archive version.  It's so nice to finally able to watch this again - I wore out my VHS dub of it years ago.

All those CDs and not a Kritzerland title in the bunch.  Could that be because at the Simbulan household there is not one Kritzerland CD to be found?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: September 22, 2006, 11:32:07 AM »

Had a very nice breakfast with Alet - am digesting and shall then jog.  It feels so nice to have done everything yesterday and have no pressures for today, other than shipping a couple of packages.

MBarnum

« Reply #101 on: September 22, 2006, 11:47:04 AM »

I meant to mention that when I took little Taylor to Festival Japan we listened to the BK CINDERELLA cd during our drive to Beaverton...she enjoyed it!

Maria

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: September 22, 2006, 11:53:46 AM »

Hmmm... Just noticed the screen-name of the "newest member." One thing for sure - it ain't me! What's with all these so-called new members?

I lived and worked for a few months many years ago in Niagara-on-the-Lake where DEAD ZONE was shot. A lovely little town - home of the Shaw Festival. I remember a gazebo that was in the film...

Happy New Year (5767) to those who celebrate. I just received a very pretty floral arrangement from a producer and his wife. Nice thing for them to do as we haven't worked together in years.

I watched a couple of new shows last night. Liked Six Degrees - but have a feeling it may not survive. Shark with James Woods was also good - because he's so much fun to watch. I think that one might have a chance. Of course, he wipes everyone off the screen (except the young actress who played his daughter and the actress who played his ex-wife) .
...Just looked up the names. The former is Danielle Panabaker; the latter I couldn't find.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 11:57:35 AM by Maria »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: September 22, 2006, 12:03:46 PM »

Rainy Friday.

Watched about 30  minutes of LAGAAN so far, and I am intrigued.  Very good film.  Really like the time period India during Victoria's reign....conflicts between the Raj's, the villagers, and the English....

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #104 on: September 22, 2006, 12:05:10 PM »

This could be fun:

Imperial spectacle

"Terracotta Warriors" depicts Chinese history with original music, period costumes, authentic dance, acrobatics and martial arts

By Vicki Smith Paluch Special to the Press-Telegram
U-Entertainment

As a Chinese-American, Dennis Law discovered the richness of his Chinese cultural heritage long after he had become a successful Denver surgeon. A longtime patron of the arts, Law decided to give up his medical practice to follow his passion and new-found love of Chinese performance arts. In so doing, he has created a new musical theater form, which he calls an "action-musical."

Law's action-musical, "Terracotta Warriors," will have its West Coast premiere at the Cerritos Center for the Arts today through Sunday. The show depicts the life and times of the first emperor of China by using an original score, lavish sets and costumes and an eye-popping blend of classical Chinese dance, acrobatics and martial arts.

For those unfamiliar with the story of China's first emperor, Qin Shi Huang, Qin had the Great Wall built, as well as the mausoleum Mount Li, where his tomb was accompanied by a stone army of 7,000 terracotta warriors to protect him in the afterlife.

To match the grandeur of the events that took place in 221 B.C., Law has written, directed and produced a show of epic proportions, featuring 350 costumes, 70 performers and 20 backdrops to illustrate the rapidly changing scenes in the production.

der Brucer

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #105 on: September 22, 2006, 12:05:21 PM »

The birthday packages just keep rolling in!  Yesterday, it was a wonderful package of CDs from DR MusicGuy.  They were in my bag this morning for office listening and I failed to mention them in my TOD.  And what a great deal of fun they have been this morning!

Today, DR Jane, aka Nurse Jane sent me a carton of rich chocolate cookies, more like brownies actually.  It's a scientific fact I can add an inch to my overabundant waistline by simply looking at one.  So I eat them instead.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ginny

« Reply #106 on: September 22, 2006, 12:09:22 PM »

...Today, DR Jane, aka Nurse Jane sent me a carton of rich chocolate cookies, more like brownies actually.  It's a scientific fact I can add an inch to my overabundant waistline by simply looking at one.  So I eat them instead.

...with a cafe latte?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DERBRUCER

« Reply #107 on: September 22, 2006, 12:31:08 PM »

Of course, he wipes everyone off the screen (except the young actress who played his daughter and the actress who played his ex-wife) .
...Just looked up the names. The former is Danielle Panabaker; the latter I couldn't find.

Lindsay Frost (The mom in the TV Elizabeth Smart Story)

see Cast List

Tom Shales of the Washington Post wrote a nice review. He concludes:

Stark also says, "There is no defense for mediocrity," which might be true, but it's something the producers of "Shark" don't have to worry about -- not as long they've got James Woods barking and biting at his best.

der Brucer

PS They sure made it hard to find her name!
« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 12:32:03 PM by DERBRUCER »

DERBRUCER

« Reply #108 on: September 22, 2006, 12:40:57 PM »

wow! I talk a lot don't I

[voice from the bench]: Summarize, counselor!

der Brucer

François de Paris

« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2006, 01:20:06 PM »

TOO MANY CONNECTIONS it said before I could login! That's unseemly!

Hello to nnewbie BIGBOOBS7!!!
Now BIGBOOBS7 sounds much more interesting than François, no?

Don't place a horse shoe over your door, DR George!! It may fall down on your head and that's not a lucky thing to get!!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2006, 01:22:05 PM »

There is college football on Saturday night this week, DRMATTH....so I guess the rerun of EARL and OFFICE will not be on.   I will catch them when they are rerun in November....if NOT before.

I checked the listings for the next week, and the reruns aren't there. I guess I must have imagined it. I'm really sorry if I got your hopes up.   :-\
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2006, 01:23:39 PM »

Hey I just noticed I'm over 5000 posts. wow! I talk a lot don't I

I am non plussed.  ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2006, 01:24:11 PM »

I checked the listings for the next week, and the reruns aren't there. I guess I must have imagined it. I'm really sorry if I got your hopes up.   :-\

No problem.  :D

Matt H.

« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2006, 01:26:31 PM »

The mail service has been weird all week. The letters and magazines have been coming around noon, back to the usual timee after a couple of months of it being late afternoon for delivery.

Twice this week, I have glanced on the porch in mid-afternoon after bringing in the mail, and there is a package. The Amazon package of those DVDs I mentioned this morning came around 3:30, too late for me to watch anything.

Matt H.

« Reply #114 on: September 22, 2006, 01:28:55 PM »

I started my afternoon with the remainder (well over an hour) of BEYOND THE POSEIDON ADVENTURE. Lousy, lousy movie, but a few additional stars did turn up in hour two (Jack Warden, Shirley Knight, Angela Cartwright, Mark Harmon) to go along with the BIG names I mentioned the other day when I started the film. Needless to say, I did NOT dub a DVD-R for myself of this regretable film.

Matt H.

« Reply #115 on: September 22, 2006, 01:31:36 PM »

Next came Garbo's last film, TWO-FACED WOMAN. There actually are some bright lines here, and George Cukor directed gracefully. The "Chica-Choca" rhumba number is actually beautifully filmed, and dance director Robert Alton makes a generous partner for Garbo.

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: September 22, 2006, 01:33:18 PM »

I also watched the rest of GOLDEN BOY which I had on the DVR and started several days ago. Again, I'd seen it before but couldn't remember how the screen version ended (I knew both the original play and the musical version ended with Joe dying in a car crash.)

François de Paris

« Reply #117 on: September 22, 2006, 01:35:06 PM »

We got our first taste of winter yesterday. I thought it was pretty cold but everyone said it felt good.  To each his own, I guess.  

Hello, Danise!

"Pretty cold" in Florida in September? Oh, no! It usually feels like Indian Summer, as I remember affectionally! I liked the (short) fall season in Fl.!

You had to know that! :)

François de Paris

« Reply #118 on: September 22, 2006, 01:36:45 PM »

No pictures from Tom and Colin yet.

And vice versa! Well... I don't mean "no pictures from vice versa"... you know what I mean!

François de Paris

« Reply #119 on: September 22, 2006, 01:37:44 PM »

Tom just called the house and spoke to Anthony. I'm waiting to hear from him at the office. I guess he's an early riser even in the U.S.

He usually is NOT! Even 8:00 am is too early! :D
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8   Go Up