Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HILLS OF BEVERLY  (Read 50250 times)

Doug R

Re: THE HILLS OF BEVERLY
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:37 AM »

Oops, I think my birthday wishes to DR DougR yesterday got lost in the middle of a quote.
So happy belated birthday wishes, Doug R!

Thank you FJL!!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 04, 2012, 09:41:50 AM »

I'm up - I didn't actually fall asleep until about two-thirty, but I got almost eight hours - the hammering wasn't too bad this morning.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #62 on: October 04, 2012, 09:42:08 AM »

Yes, Hunter's Books was exactly where the Paley Center is now.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #63 on: October 04, 2012, 09:45:21 AM »

Just discovered my book has now made it to Kindle format. That makes me feel like less of the Luddite that I am.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #64 on: October 04, 2012, 10:08:10 AM »

*  *  *  *  *  PRAYERS AND VIBES FOR DR CILLALIZ'S FRIEND SHARON  *  *  *  *  *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #65 on: October 04, 2012, 10:14:40 AM »

TOD:

When I was a wee youngen, I didn't want anything to do with hamburgers for some reason.  I would eat hot dogs, but not burgers.  Finally, around the age of ten, my father got me to try one at a Gino's.  It was good.  I liked it.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: October 04, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »

Great lyric, FJL, even if it's sadly all too true. It's like shows that want Forbidden Broadway to roast them.

In other news, Meryl Streep as the Witch in the film of "Into the Woods"? Why? Why Rob Marshall? I hope he doesn't trash the show the way he did "Nine." He only cut my favorite seven songs from that score.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/meryl-streep-to-star-with-james-corden-in-new-musical/287841

I think Meryl has been tied to the Witch role in at least two previous attempts at an INTO THE WOODS movie.  I won't mind seeing her but I share your misgivings about Marshall.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2012, 10:21:36 AM »

I'm one of the walking dead today--I stayed up until 1:30 last night reading the third Game Of Thrones book.  What a page turner!
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #68 on: October 04, 2012, 10:40:18 AM »

Tonight is Act One - OFF BOOK.  I think I am ready.....but who knows.....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #69 on: October 04, 2012, 10:46:52 AM »

TOD

When I was very young - see Hot Dog Story from yesterday - my aunt & uncle owned a little gas station/restaurant in the little southern Indiana town of Mill Grove....which is just a bump in the road on Indiana State Road 67.  But my Aunt Ruby could make the BEST hamburgers EVER.  They weren't round, they were sort of square to fit on a piece of white bread....and she smashed them as flat as could be.....loved visiting their business and having a hamburger with dill pickles.....

Jack:  My father ran a gas station, as I mentioned.  The same architect must have designed your aunt's and my father's station:

DR JRand and RLP, such wonderful photos! And RLP, you dad was kind of good looking!

MBarnum

« Reply #70 on: October 04, 2012, 10:56:16 AM »

TOD:

I don't recall my first hamburger, or even my favorite ones...but I do love hamburgers!

In Salem, the best place for burgers is Rockin' Rogers. They have been around for close to 30 years, I believe and they currently have two places in town...for a time they had four diners!

They had decent breakfast, as well...but the worst coffee I have ever tasted!  :P

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: October 04, 2012, 10:57:34 AM »

Great lyric, FJL, even if it's sadly all too true. It's like shows that want Forbidden Broadway to roast them.

In other news, Meryl Streep as the Witch in the film of "Into the Woods"? Why? Why Rob Marshall? I hope he doesn't trash the show the way he did "Nine." He only cut my favorite seven songs from that score.

http://www.nme.com/filmandtv/news/meryl-streep-to-star-with-james-corden-in-new-musical/287841

I like Meryl Streep. But I would much rather have a musical theatre performer in this role.

Btw, will anybody else be watching Meryl's daughter who stars in the new CW show Emily Owens MD (starts Oct 22ndish).

I wasn't going to watch since I don't get the CW. But they are going to be showing it here on Much Music along with The Arrow. They also show Gossip Girl and the Vampire Diaries.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #72 on: October 04, 2012, 10:58:43 AM »

Good day one and all

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:00 AM »

TOD

When I was very young - see Hot Dog Story from yesterday - my aunt & uncle owned a little gas station/restaurant in the little southern Indiana town of Mill Grove....which is just a bump in the road on Indiana State Road 67.  But my Aunt Ruby could make the BEST hamburgers EVER.  They weren't round, they were sort of square to fit on a piece of white bread....and she smashed them as flat as could be.....loved visiting their business and having a hamburger with dill pickles.....

Jack:  My father ran a gas station, as I mentioned.  The same architect must have designed your aunt's and my father's station:

DR JRand and RLP, such wonderful photos! And RLP, you dad was kind of good looking!

Yeah, he kinda was....  :)

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:11 AM »

Belated Happy Birthday greetings to Doug!

Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #75 on: October 04, 2012, 10:59:58 AM »

Vibes to a speedy recovery for Cilla's friend, Sharon...

Doctor vibes for Elmore...

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: October 04, 2012, 11:01:20 AM »

Am home on a sick day today. Tired and listless the last 3 days. Might just be allergies, but at work I could barely keep my eyes open so felt it wise to stay home and recup.

So today I watched, for the very first time, the classic I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1943). Oh, man what a beautiful film. Not so much a horror story as a love story, and the ending totally caught be by surprise. I can't believe that it has taken me so many years to catch up with this movie.

Even if horror films are not your thing, I would still highly recommend this.

MBarnum

« Reply #77 on: October 04, 2012, 11:02:17 AM »

He could have been a movie star, DR Ron Pulliam!

PS: I keep referring to you as RLP, but you haven't been DR RLP in years have you. I need to get with the times.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #78 on: October 04, 2012, 11:09:12 AM »

Freak snowstorm here...

Strange to see snow this early in the fall up here but the moisture if needed. In a strange way it was propelled by a super typhoon near Japan a few weeks ago that dislodged unusually cold air from the arctic regions.

The areas bordering the Canadian border got over 7 inches and we only got an inch in Fargo. However, it resulted in some desperately needed precipitation. The melted snow for Fargo amounted to about a third of an inch. It is not a lot, but it is more than we have had in the last two months combined. It is nowhere near the amount needed to break the drought. Parts of the area are any where from 6 to 13 inches below normal for year. Our normal precipitation figures, including melted snow, is usually between 18 to 20 inches a year.

The heavier snow that fell up north did quell two wild fires near Karlstad, MN that burned or damaged 11 homes. During the height of the fire, they evacuated Karlstad, MN as a precaution.

John G.

« Reply #79 on: October 04, 2012, 11:17:47 AM »

I hate freak snowstorms. Well, I hate snow or weather below 70 during the day. So, I don't envy you, DakotaCelt. I hope you stay safe and warm.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #80 on: October 04, 2012, 11:20:25 AM »

The photos of these old-timey burger joints are making me hungry. One of my favorites is Taylor's Automated Refresher in St. Helena, Calif., while we still have one of the last Pig Stands here in San Antonio. (Anyone who has read Larry McMurtry's "Evening Star" might remember mention of those. They started the carhop craze.)
― Voltaire

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #81 on: October 04, 2012, 11:24:11 AM »

TOD:

The first hamburger I had at a restaurant called King Leo's on Washington Street in Grand Forks, ND. We also had an A & W drive-in that served hamburgers.

However my favorite hamburger / sloppy joe joint was the Fabulous Kegs Drive-in in Grand Forks. It is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  They still serve wonderful sloppy joes and they are only open during the summer months. They are  a treat.

http://www.choppedonion.com/id169.html

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/tip/4524

Doug R

« Reply #82 on: October 04, 2012, 11:25:31 AM »

Belated Happy Birthday greetings to Doug!

Thanks DakotaCelt!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #83 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:53 AM »

I want to go to Rockin' Rogers
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Doug R

« Reply #84 on: October 04, 2012, 11:28:17 AM »

Am home on a sick day today. Tired and listless the last 3 days. Might just be allergies, but at work I could barely keep my eyes open so felt it wise to stay home and recup.

So today I watched, for the very first time, the classic I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE (1943). Oh, man what a beautiful film. Not so much a horror story as a love story, and the ending totally caught be by surprise. I can't believe that it has taken me so many years to catch up with this movie.

Even if horror films are not your thing, I would still highly recommend this.

I've got that as part of the excellent Val Lewton DVD box set. I must watch it again - I've forgotten what it was all about!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #85 on: October 04, 2012, 11:31:20 AM »

Grinders at the Red Pepper in Grand Forks are a source for local legend...

http://www.redpepper.com/

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #86 on: October 04, 2012, 11:43:00 AM »

The great thing about REd Pepper is they have always tried to buy things locally.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: October 04, 2012, 11:48:38 AM »

DR Cilla I'm shocked & very sorry & sad to read about your wonderful cat sitter.

MEGA VIBES FOR SHARON!!!!

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #88 on: October 04, 2012, 11:55:10 AM »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #89 on: October 04, 2012, 11:57:33 AM »

Greetings from Toyland!

I had a series of test and I have new prescriptions to be picked up. I do like my Dr Miller quite a lot.

I'm very pleased you like your Doctor.

DR elmore are you getting enough exercise to give your endorphin's a good boost?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up