Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: HOLLYWOOD  (Read 33537 times)

TCB

• Because I can!
Re: HOLLYWOOD
« Reply #60 on: October 05, 2012, 11:50:03 AM »

Page 3 - At last!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #61 on: October 05, 2012, 11:52:17 AM »

Saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in 4K at the local AMC last night.  This is before I burned the midnight oil.  (And there's only one oil, right?  It really should be singular.)

I'd watched it twice recently so went more in solidarity to the nationwide showing than a need to sit through it.  But I wanted to see how the theater did with it, too.  They did well.  It was just about perfect.  The Blu-ray at home is more satisfying in the sense that I can tweak the brightness and the sound level, but seeing it on a huge screen was something the doctor had ordered, and the small but perfect audience was a pleasure to sit with, and I sat there through the whole thing, amazed that there could be such a classic movie-going experience to be had in October 2012.  For one night, anyway.

Did the doctor stay for the showing?
“One thing’s universal,

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #62 on: October 05, 2012, 11:56:02 AM »

Someone just gave me a piece of Bazooka bubble gum with a cartoon and a fortune slip inside. I don't think I've had one of those in years.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:24 PM »

Thanks and a tip o' the hat to DR Dan (the Man) for the CD-R just received!!!

Mine arrived, too! Thank you, DR Dan(theMan)!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #64 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:34 PM »

Friday morning greetings!  Some travel vibes for Fr. Richard would be appreciated.  He just left for NW Indiana, where he will participate tomorrow in the consecration of a bishop and then head for NW Ohio, where he will conduct Sunday services.  My Middfest commitments kept me from accompanying him on this adventure.

~~~~~Safe travel vibes for DH Fr. Richard!~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: October 05, 2012, 12:11:34 PM »

Thank you, DR TCB!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #66 on: October 05, 2012, 12:12:06 PM »

Just got some sad news...

Friends of mine, Dave and Christine, found out that their beloved Adela has Hemangiosarcoma. It is cancer of the spleen in dogs.  It is a fatal diagnosis. I have been honored to meet the beautiful Adela  on several occasions. She is a 12-year old German Shepherd.

Here is an article about the type of cancer she has. Adela did have a tumor removed last week because she was unusually lethargic and did not want to play with her favorite ball.  With Adela, if you have her ball in hand, she is ready to play even if it is just rolling it on the floor. Sweet dog....

They could use  a few thoughts and prayers to get through this trying time.

~~~~~Vibes for Adela and her parents!~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2012, 12:34:18 PM »

Well, the storms have held off, so I think I'll venture to the Middfest venue and take care of a couple of things - bye for now!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2012, 12:44:48 PM »

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

John G.

« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2012, 12:47:16 PM »

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2012, 12:55:12 PM »

"King Kong: The Musical"? Why not!

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/170819-Press-Event-for-New-Musical-King-Kong-Including-Announcement-of-Lead-Cast-Will-Be-Streamed-Online

Perhaps Brian D'Arcy James can play Kong?

This musical is one. of. the. stupidest. ideas. ever.

His love keeps lifting me higher
As I settle into his hairy paw
I know you're all asking "Why her?"
With the dumbest ape ya'ever saw.
― Voltaire

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #73 on: October 05, 2012, 01:20:49 PM »

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: October 05, 2012, 01:23:37 PM »

Thanks a lot to Fred. or George, or whomever!  I still can't get that disco song out of my head!!
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #76 on: October 05, 2012, 01:29:42 PM »

Thanks a lot to Fred. or George, or whomever!  I still can't get that disco song out of my head!!

My work here is done. :-*

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: October 05, 2012, 01:29:50 PM »

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/170819-Press-Event-for-New-Musical-King-Kong-Including-Announcement-of-Lead-Cast-Will-Be-Streamed-Online

oooh!

Please, God, put saltpeter in his diet!  Perhaps we could all chip in $1.00 and send him to Lourdes via media mail to cure his erotomania.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #78 on: October 05, 2012, 02:04:59 PM »

That STUPID disco song!
“One thing’s universal,

George

« Reply #79 on: October 05, 2012, 02:07:33 PM »

Friday morning greetings!  Some travel vibes for Fr. Richard would be appreciated.  He just left for NW Indiana, where he will participate tomorrow in the consecration of a bishop and then head for NW Ohio, where he will conduct Sunday services.  My Middfest commitments kept me from accompanying him on this adventure.

~~~Travel Vibes for Fr. Richard!!~~~
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #80 on: October 05, 2012, 02:08:41 PM »

Just got some sad news...

Friends of mine, Dave and Christine, found out that their beloved Adela has Hemangiosarcoma. It is cancer of the spleen in dogs.  It is a fatal diagnosis. I have been honored to meet the beautiful Adela  on several occasions. She is a 12-year old German Shepherd.

Here is an article about the type of cancer she has. Adela did have a tumor removed last week because she was unusually lethargic and did not want to play with her favorite ball.  With Adela, if you have her ball in hand, she is ready to play even if it is just rolling it on the floor. Sweet dog....

They could use  a few thoughts and prayers to get through this trying time.

~~~Vibes of All Kinds for Adela and Dave and Christine!!~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:09 PM »

Last night I wrote:
DR Jane (or any other DRs), I know you use your nook mostly now, but what did you used to do if your book's print was too small to comfortably read?

It's book 2 and i really want to read it. This is the only series i've ever had a problem with. Sometimes they fonts are a bit smaller but i've never seen anything like this. And it's making me crazy.

I ended up getting the first 3 chapters as a sample at amazon.com so i could read that part comfortably.

I really don't understand why anyone printing a book would do this.

I think I was unclear since DR George misunderstood.  This is an ACTUAL BOOK not an ebook.  I just got the sample 3 chapters on my kindle so i can read the first part easier.

And they didn't change the print from the first book. It was small there too.

If I read on my bed with my reading lamp right on the book it is bearable. But the print is still too small for it to be comfortable. I may end up using a magnifying glass for part of it. Just putting the magnifying glass right on the book makes the print big enough. I wish i had a ruler shaped magnifying glass because it's not practical to hold a mg while trying to read the whole book.

It is just so frustrating. Why did they make the print so small? I have never heard had a problem with any book before this series. I never find anything too small to read. But this is ridiculous!

Perhaps a pair of Cheater Glasses would help you with the book.

I tried it with a pair and it was completely blurry.

I read a lot and this book is significantly smaller than what i am used to.

I found a very large magnifying glass (circle). If i place it directly on the page it increases the font by 1 size, which makes it perfect for me read. It's just a pain to have to move it.

Jennifer

« Reply #82 on: October 05, 2012, 02:10:56 PM »

Last night I wrote:
DR Jane (or any other DRs), I know you use your nook mostly now, but what did you used to do if your book's print was too small to comfortably read?

It's book 2 and i really want to read it. This is the only series i've ever had a problem with. Sometimes they fonts are a bit smaller but i've never seen anything like this. And it's making me crazy.

I ended up getting the first 3 chapters as a sample at amazon.com so i could read that part comfortably.

I really don't understand why anyone printing a book would do this.

If I read on my bed with my reading lamp right on the book it is bearable. But the print is still too small for it to be comfortable. I may end up using a magnifying glass for part of it. Just putting the magnifying glass right on the book makes the print big enough. I wish i had a ruler shaped magnifying glass because it's not practical to hold a mg while trying to read the whole book.

I used to complain about books that had small print until it occurred to me that not all of the publishers had suddenly started reducing the size of the print, so there might be another reason.

Yah if other books were bothering me i would say it was me. But in this case it's the book :)

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: October 05, 2012, 02:11:55 PM »

I think his TV wife has first dibs on the part.

Who is or was Brian's TV wife?

Debra Messing

Is Brian going to be completely off of SMASH this year? Or will we still see him? I loved him on the show!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: October 05, 2012, 02:34:27 PM »

From DR John G:
Dessert: Wild huckleberry tart. Spectacular:

It looks delicious.

Jane

« Reply #85 on: October 05, 2012, 02:39:17 PM »

I certainly enjoyed MR BK's walk in Hollywood in the notes.  Most interesting.

And DR CHAS SMITH wrote some interesting things about Beverly Hills yesterday - as did DR JANE!

Fun!!

I'm glad you enjoyed the them, I sure did but then it is my home town.

Jane

« Reply #86 on: October 05, 2012, 02:41:00 PM »

Hollywood is the very core of my strongest feelings about L.A., not just because it was the center of my world there initially, but because its potential and promise still somehow represent what L.A. is about for the likes of moi.  I'm glad parts of it survive, but it's going to be a shock, regardless -- which I'm unfortunately accustomed to, having had plenty of experience returning to my various home towns after many years.  I'll post my ramblings later, with the notes in front of me so I can follow BK on his walking tour of the Boulevard.

I look forward to reading your ramblings.

Jane

« Reply #87 on: October 05, 2012, 02:53:49 PM »

Saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA in 4K at the local AMC last night.  

The first time I saw LAWRENCE OF ARABIA was on the big screen when Keith took me to the Fox Wilshire Theater on Beverly Drive. 

Jane

« Reply #88 on: October 05, 2012, 02:56:22 PM »

SAFE AND EASY TRAVELING FOR RICHARD!!!

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 05, 2012, 02:56:36 PM »

I had to smile when a fellow researcher sent me some genealogy data. One of her ancestors on her maternal grandmother's line is named Guy Haines....

:)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up