Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 26  (Read 41589 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: KRITZERLAND AT STERLING'S 26
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2012, 10:24:46 AM »

I finished the score reconstruction for ROBERTA so the whole shebang is in the hands of the copyists. Thomas Bagwell arrived and picked up two of the three cartons of scores he purchased, and I helped him get them to a taxi. He'll call when he wants to come back for the third.

I've listened to the new EILEEN release and a 2-CD set of Carl Davis conducting Russell Bennett's show medleys for orchestra. I juyst heard "South Pacific," "Show Boat," and "My Fair Lady." "Porgy and Bess" is playing at the moment.

Now I've got to assemble a chart of all the ROBERTA musical numbers and what characters sing/speak in each number. I also have to scan  the dialogue pages for all numbers, showing the copyists where it fits over the music. My week is cut out for me. I think I will now head home.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 10:27:35 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2012, 10:26:03 AM »

!!! 3 !!!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2012, 10:37:22 AM »

DR ChasSSmith, now if only you had photos to go with all those recollections!

Larry Edmund's is still there and I usually pop in each time I am in town. Of course, I have been buying from them since through the mail since I was in high school...got lots of 8x10 stills from that place and a few lobby cards, also.

They were the only place I was able to find that had any portrait shots of Ruell Shayne (aka Frank Griffin), all of which I purchased to use for my magazine interview with the actor.

Laura

« Reply #63 on: October 08, 2012, 10:42:53 AM »

Good morning. I might have an interesting video up on youtube later today.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #64 on: October 08, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »

And speaking of preserving historic homes ... here is something to make you all mad.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20121007frank-lloyd-wright-home-debate.html

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #65 on: October 08, 2012, 10:44:03 AM »

Congratulations on finishing Roberta, Elmore. I wish I could send you one of her gowns to celebrate with.

And I shall now have "Yesterdays" going through my head this afternoon. There are worse things in life.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #66 on: October 08, 2012, 10:48:04 AM »

I finished the score reconstruction for ROBERTA so the whole shebang is in the hands of the copyists. Thomas Bagwell arrived and picked up two of the three cartons of scores he purchased, and I helped him get them to a taxi. He'll call when he wants to come back for the third.

I've listened to the new EILEEN release and a 2-CD set of Carl Davis conducting Russell Bennett's show medleys for orchestra. I juyst heard "South Pacific," "Show Boat," and "My Fair Lady." "Porgy and Bess" is playing at the moment.

Now I've got to assemble a chart of all the ROBERTA musical numbers and what characters sing/speak in each number. I also have to scan  the dialogue pages for all numbers, showing the copyists where it fits over the music. My week is cut out for me. I think I will now head home.

DR Elmore, I'm intrigued by the Carl Davis CD.  Is it available and if it is, what's it called?

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #67 on: October 08, 2012, 10:49:37 AM »

And speaking of preserving historic homes ... here is something to make you all mad.

http://www.azcentral.com/community/phoenix/articles/20121007frank-lloyd-wright-home-debate.html

that's a sad story, and the venom in the comments posted at the end are even worse. People cannot civilly agree to disagree any more.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #68 on: October 08, 2012, 10:51:44 AM »

Sad

The lack of civility is appalling
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

ChasSmith

« Reply #69 on: October 08, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »

DR MBarnum, I do have some snapshots and slides.  I need to go through them and start scanning, and hopefully a lot of that can get done on the proverbial cold winter nights this year.  I should have thought at the beginning to include links to web pages here and there, but the little bit I did tells me there's a LOT out there to be discovered.  There are many, many resources for this kind of stuff now.

ChasSmith

« Reply #70 on: October 08, 2012, 10:55:27 AM »

DR Elmore, congrats on all of that. 

And I have to say I feel a bit faint trying to imagine what the McGlinnventory must hold, or held.

ChasSmith

« Reply #71 on: October 08, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

Laura

« Reply #72 on: October 08, 2012, 10:56:56 AM »

The area this house is in -- an upscale part of town called Arcadia -- has seen many beautiful old homes demolished in order to build stucco castles. It is quite sad.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #73 on: October 08, 2012, 10:57:04 AM »

Elmore.. Congrats on finishing Roberta...
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #74 on: October 08, 2012, 11:00:12 AM »

The area this house is in -- an upscale part of town called Arcadia -- has seen many beautiful old homes demolished in order to build stucco castles. It is quite sad.

It is sad to see that kind of destruction. Granted not all can be saved due to lack of upkeep, termites, etc. The older homes are clues to where we have been and it provides as  sense of history and connection. I love it when old houses, schools and other buildings are rehabbed or repurposed.

There is an old school in Arnegard, ND that was rehabbed into bed and breakfast and community center. The gym is used for gatherings and craftshows. The classrooms are made into suites for visiting people with a theme relating to school.

ChasSmith

« Reply #75 on: October 08, 2012, 11:07:51 AM »

Agree.  Rehabbing and repurposing is the FIRST thing anyone should try to do, with dwellings and all manner of structures.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #76 on: October 08, 2012, 11:14:58 AM »

Here is the website for the Bed and Breakfast I was referring to in an earlier post.

Old School Bed and Breakfast.

http://www.oldschoolbb.com/

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #77 on: October 08, 2012, 11:16:38 AM »

And the word of the day is: APOPHASIS!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  I WON'T DANCE

Laura

« Reply #78 on: October 08, 2012, 11:17:22 AM »

But you see, you can have TWO stucco houses on the lot where one stands now! Win! Right?

Maybe not.

Oh -- and these are nice old houses that are being demolished. Folks want new houses but don't want to have to drive so far out of town to get it. (These old houses were probably built in the 50's. That's old for Phoenix.)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:20:09 AM by Laura »

Laura

« Reply #79 on: October 08, 2012, 11:44:38 AM »

In my garden last week (sped up 4 times)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yho3bZWGQK4&feature=plcp

In my garden this morning (real time)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPKvzwMCIr0&feature=youtu.be

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #80 on: October 08, 2012, 11:50:40 AM »

DR Elmore, I'm intrigued by the Carl Davis CD.  Is it available and if it is, what's it called?

DR Matthew, it's "Great American Musicals" on the EMI Classics for Pleasure label. and it's now an out of print CD. I see that I can find it on Amazon using key words "Robert Russell Bennett" and "Carl Davis." There are two reasonably priced used copies. Be certsin that the set has both CDs. The first copy I purchased only had one CD because the seller was a moron.

There are also several other collections of Bennett's show medleys, if you'd likesome titles.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 11:53:25 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #81 on: October 08, 2012, 11:51:58 AM »

DR Elmore, congrats on all of that. 

And I have to say I feel a bit faint trying to imagine what the McGlinnventory must hold, or held.

We have a ton of things we cannot give away as well as a ton of things we're keeping. 

Ben

« Reply #82 on: October 08, 2012, 12:01:59 PM »

Lar, I'm so glad you're finishing work on Roberta. I look forward to hearing the finished product.

I've been looking for Gowns by Roberta. I can find lots of copies of her other books, even as free e-books on Gutenberg but finding GBR is hard. I found copies on Amazon starting at $99 but I don't want to read it that much.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #83 on: October 08, 2012, 12:04:34 PM »

We are back from a wonderful weekend in DC. It couldn't have been lovelier. We had a smooth, pleasant train trip (both ways), a great hotel (with a few hiccups) and wonderful friends and all in all it couldn't have been better.

Pictures at 11 (or whenever Anthony gets them off the card and onto the computer).

I'm glad you had a good weekend, DR Ben!

Ditto!  Can't wait to see the pictures. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #84 on: October 08, 2012, 12:04:44 PM »

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: October 08, 2012, 12:16:14 PM »

Lar, I'm so glad you're finishing work on Roberta. I look forward to hearing the finished product.

I've been looking for Gowns by Roberta. I can find lots of copies of her other books, even as free e-books on Gutenberg but finding GBR is hard. I found copies on Amazon starting at $99 but I don't want to read it that much.

I believe I have a copy here that you are welcome to borrow. I finished the novel and thought, this was a best seller?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: October 08, 2012, 12:52:34 PM »

I just got my first rave for EILEEN. It made me very happy after all the slams the Collected Herbert songs got.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: October 08, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »

The same to you also... I have a number of Canadian relatives..

Thanks DR Dakota except I am in Oregon.  DR Jennifer is in Canada & DR Matthew alternates countries.

Jane

« Reply #88 on: October 08, 2012, 01:09:25 PM »

Let's bring some closure for the time being, to this trip through Hollywood, with one final blast of

Hughes Market – at Highland and Franklin.  Amazingly, many memories tied up with that store, my first L.A. supermarket.  Likewise...

The first Hughes market I knew of was long after we had moved away.  There was a very nice one on Doheny Drive walking distance from my father's condo.  I was staying with my father after his surgery for bladder cancer and was walking around Hughes when my shopping cart and I almost collided with another shopper who was in town visiting her mother.  I still chuckle when I remember how Susan Gordon I both looked at each other in shock, neither of us expecting to run into anyone we knew.  We hadn't seen each other for years.  After that we continued to kept in touch.

Jane

« Reply #89 on: October 08, 2012, 01:11:39 PM »

Newberry’s – a classic five-and-dime

Frederick’s of Hollywood, of course -- opposite my corner.

I grew up shopping at Newberry's on Pico Blvd near Westwood Blvd.

Frederick's was something else. ;D
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up