Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: SUCCINCT AND BRIEF  (Read 19328 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:SUCCINCT AND BRIEF
« Reply #60 on: May 07, 2005, 11:09:48 AM »

Happy birthday, Dear Reader Danise!!

And now, back to my IAAAAWWOTD paper. Only twelve pages to go.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #61 on: May 07, 2005, 11:11:05 AM »

Page three dance!

The IAAAAWWOTD swing!
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #62 on: May 07, 2005, 11:33:53 AM »

Happy Birthday Danise!!!!!!!!!!

Hope your day is an especially special one!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #63 on: May 07, 2005, 11:36:52 AM »

"Time and Again" is my favorite Coward song. I have it on my minidisk player and listen to it time and again.

A theatre group I was involved with did PRESENT LAUGHTER, and the megalomaniacal director chased one of the leading men off late in rehearsals, took the role himself and did the show reading lines right out of a book he carried with him onstage. "Disgrace" does not begin to describe it.

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #64 on: May 07, 2005, 11:39:33 AM »

I meant to mention this when Cillaliz brought up Rupert Homes the other day. A friend of mine was just in a small production of "Drood" on the East Side, and Rupert got wind of it and took the whole cast and crew out for a night of dinner and drinks on him. That's pretty cool, no?

MBarnum

« Reply #65 on: May 07, 2005, 11:44:46 AM »

I think BKs estimation of the cell phone/school "controversy" hit the nail on the head...and he said it much better then I could. My fear is that the teacher involved is going to bear the brunt of all this silly publicity.

MBarnum

« Reply #66 on: May 07, 2005, 12:22:10 PM »

Well, things are a bit slow in these here parts!

I think I will go and flop on the couch with my cat and watch a movie and/or take a nap! I think I was up just a bit too late last night and it is catching up with me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2005, 12:35:24 PM »

1973 performance BK and they were terrific.

Did you see it in London while it was playing there, or did
they tour "the colonies"?

And you're quite right..."Private Lives" requires more than just good actors...it requires megawattage personalities whose very presence makes the enterprise magical.

"Private Lives" is a nice drawing room piece of adult fluff, but little more without larger-than-life personalities to make it work.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 12:41:43 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2005, 12:40:51 PM »

Have any other dear readers hreard this story?Opinions?
Everything in this story is out of balance, IMO.

The kid's behavior...the school teacher's demand...the reaction after she learned he was talking to her mother...and the school's suspension.

For the language, the 17-year-old should be required to perform community service, spend 24-hours in a stock in a central location on the school campus, or be stropped in assembly with male parent present.

There's way too much crap going on.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2005, 12:43:36 PM »

So sad to be all alone in the world . . . .

...maybe you could reach out and touch someone when you're feeling like this.....

:)

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: May 07, 2005, 12:51:43 PM »

Happy Birthday DR DANISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rodzinski

• Like, Hey.
« Reply #71 on: May 07, 2005, 12:53:26 PM »

...maybe you could reach out and touch someone when you're feeling like this.....

:)

Reach out and touch somebody's hand. Make this a better world, if you can.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: May 07, 2005, 12:56:20 PM »

Re: the suspension

I suppose it depends how rude the kid was to the teacher.  And while I don't think cell phones should be allowed at school, I think that if they are, then this teacher should have been a bit more understanding.  I cannot even imagine having a loved one in Iraq.  But if I did, I think it's certainly more important to let a boy speak to his mother then make him hang up on her.

Ben

« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2005, 01:17:25 PM »

Happy Birthday Danise!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2005, 01:55:28 PM »

I was able to watch two DVDs this afternoon.

First up was LULLABY OF BROADWAY. I hadn't seen this is quite some time, my only memory of it being that Doris did some fancy dancing in the movie, more than in any other musical she ever made.

Watching it again today, what an understatement that was! Looks like being paired with dancer Gene Nelson gave the Warner Brothers the idea that she was their own Vera-Ellen or Ginger Rogers. She dances throughout this film and makes one wish she had gotten to be either Astaire or Kelly's partner at some point in her career. (Well, she got to be directed by Kelly, but that's not quite the same thing.)

I remember bk remarking when he talked about the film that Gene Nelson was dubbed for some unknown reason. I, too, do not understand this. He had a perfectly pleasant singing voice, oh, maybe not a Dick Haymes smooth croon, but certainly he could have handled the singing he had to do in this film. I suspect he put up a fight when he found out his own voice wouldn't be used. Sounded like Bill Lee doing the dubbing, but a couple of quick checks in some references couldn't confirm this.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2005, 01:58:55 PM »

Forgot to mention that the DVD of LULLABY OF BROADWAY looked very good though I didn't find the color as eye-popping as some oher Technicolor films of the same period. Still, it was certainly a clean print that the transfer was taken from, and the DVD is sharp and the sound fine.

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2005, 02:01:29 PM »

Then, I put in THREE COINS IN THE FOUNTAIN, another DVD I set aside last week to watch and never got around to it.

Fox has done a marvelous job cleaning up and mastering this film for DVD. The travelogue nature of the movie made Rome and Venice seem like they were filmed yesterday. Enjoyed this bit of romantic fluff. Wasn't it DR JRand who said he couldn't stand Maggie McNamara? Whopever it was, I QUITE agree. What a pill.

The sound was a bit problematic on this for me. I couldn't figure out if Fox was using directional sound on the stereo voice tracks or if it was simply mastered poorly, but often when two people were talking, the person's voice on the right side of the screen would be coming out of my right front and rear speakers. This didn't happen every time there were multiple people on screen together, but it certainly did happen several times during the running of the movie.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 02:12:29 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: May 07, 2005, 02:07:53 PM »

Just checked the imdb. Hal Derwin does the singing for Gene Nelson. I've added that to my own reference list of dubbers.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #78 on: May 07, 2005, 02:15:07 PM »

Ben I enjoyed the cast photos. :)

CP I like your idea of a party and keeping it flowing.  I much prefer small intimate groups to one large one.  Your Halloween party still sounds like the most fun to me since I miss the holiday so much.  Sadly you won’t find children trick or treating out here.

Bruce you look great!

Jane

« Reply #79 on: May 07, 2005, 02:18:20 PM »

I saw an exquisite production of PRESENT LAUGHTER with Peter Bowles a few years ago.  Last year in London we saw a rather mediocre, tired production of BLITHE SPIRIT with Penelope Keith. I'm off to Derby prep, then partay!  Probably won't be checking in for awhile, if at all the rest of the day.  The last people out of here won't probably be gone until 11:00 or 12:00.

We saw a wonderful performance of PRESENT LAUGHTER at our festival here.

Have a fun party.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: May 07, 2005, 02:20:29 PM »

Good vibes to the Vixter!

Keith is back in the house after gardening while the turkeys kept him company. ;DNow I can wash my hair instead of waiting for a flower delivery.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #81 on: May 07, 2005, 02:23:40 PM »

Yes, DRMATTH - that was and IS my estimation of Miss Maggie McNamara - performance wise of course, I did not know her personally.  And that sound problem on some FOX films is not unusual.  The Video of WILD IN THE COUNTRY is the worst offender - mysterious voices from out of no where and sound effects from the strangest of speakers.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: May 07, 2005, 02:28:21 PM »

Well I must say that I am hopelessly plebian and middle class in my entertainment choices - and must say that I enjoyed the film version of THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA.  I concur with the criticisms that have been posited in these parts....this and that is not right, certain things were NOT well done....

That said, since this is one of my favorite shows, I thought the music was handled well and the physical production stunning.  I know that opinions of Gerard Butler have been widely divided, but I found him fine.  Everyone else was very good.  Musically (again I liked ALW, though many people do not) - it was a grand show.  All in all, my disappointments were few.  The "added" scenes were okay by me - a sword fight, and some backstory - and the Phantom makeup was probably more grotesque on a BIG screen, but still was more realistic than that I have seen onstage.

So, put me down as one who liked it.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #83 on: May 07, 2005, 02:32:16 PM »

Here are two gifted performers in what I bet was a powerhouse production of Mr Coward's PRESENT LAUGHTER at the old Avondale Playhouse in Indianapolis.

Frances Farmer & Reginald Gardiner.  8)

Tomovoz

« Reply #84 on: May 07, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »

Did you see it in London while it was playing there, or did
they tour "the colonies"?

And you're quite right..."Private Lives" requires more than just good actors...it requires megawattage personalities whose very presence makes the enterprise magical.

"Private Lives" is a nice drawing room piece of adult fluff, but little more without larger-than-life personalities to make it work.
I was indeed in London for all of 1973 DR RLP. the year of "The Good Old Bad Old Days", "The Card", "Gone With The Wind" "Gypsy", "Applause" Deborah Kerr in "The Day After The Fair". Other shows with Ingrid Bergman, Alec Guiness, Glenda Jackson, etc. Aso the year of "The Norman Conquests" (The plays and not the original event - I was still at School then).  A great year. Joseph had it's first West End appearance too. It had charm back then and was coupled with Jacob's Journey. It was for children and should have stayed that way IMHO.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: May 07, 2005, 02:39:49 PM »

But dRTOMovOZ - then we would never have had the JOSEPH MEGAMIX!!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #86 on: May 07, 2005, 02:39:53 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back between shows.  Good matinee.  Lots of cute-cute-cute kids in the front.  And they clapped a lot.  And they danced too!

I was a bit a sleepy and tired throughout the show.  I, too, stayed up a bit too late last night.  But I had a good show, and managed to stay awake.  ;)

And a friend of mine who was in the audience today, came up to me at intermission and asked me to pass on a note to one of the guys in the cast.  It turns out that they were roommates in college - almost 20 years ago!  Small world.  -So, there was a nice mini-reunion at the stage door after the show.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: May 07, 2005, 02:48:52 PM »

From the twenty minutes of PHANTOM that I watched on Wednesday, the one thing I LIKED about Gerard Butler was that he made a convincing physical rival for Raoul in trying to win Christine. As physically appealing and charismatic in looks as Raoul (with the mask making him even more mysteriously alluring) along with his knowledge of music and Christine's voice, one could see why she had a major decision on her hands.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: May 07, 2005, 02:49:44 PM »

Hmmm....  I just had my "dinner"  - basically a "root hog" one as Steve likes to call it.  A couple of slices of turkey breast from the deli, a couple of chunks of cheese, pretzels (Newman's Own Salt & Pepper Rounds - my favorite), sesame-rice crackers...  And now "dessert" - sliced strawberries and half an iced cinnamon bun.

Yummy!

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2005, 02:50:08 PM »

I know what you mean about tired, DR Jose. Around 3:30 this afternoon, after mowing the grass, eating dinner, and watching two films, my head starting bobbing. I lay down on the sofa and was out for an hour.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up