Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DISCOMBOBULATED ME  (Read 37392 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:THE DISCOMBOBULATED ME
« Reply #90 on: March 12, 2007, 09:56:06 AM »

Hi dear Jose.....you "light up a room" cutie, you!  I'm glad you are back home safely, and I'm really tickled about your "surprise" coming to you this week sometime.  :)  :)

Ooohh.... Well, I look forward to being tickled later in the week.  *Now if you'd really like to surprise me, you could send a nice check to my health insurance company.  ;)

*Although, from the paperwork that I'm currently looking at and filling out right now, it looks like my stitches will indeed be covered - albeit five months after the fact.  Whew!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #91 on: March 12, 2007, 09:57:01 AM »

And here I go again starting another page...

How about a

QUADRILLE

« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 09:58:55 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #92 on: March 12, 2007, 10:00:47 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, what happened to you that required stitches?  [If it's not too personal]

MBarnum

« Reply #93 on: March 12, 2007, 10:04:31 AM »

DR Musicguy, my NY trip is on hold until I sort out my finances...if I don't spend too much on this LA trip in April and if I can make some money selling some junk on Ebay then it should be a go!

I was going to attend MONSTER BASH with Laurie Mitchell in Pittsburgh and then pop on over to NY. But the Pittsburgh part of the trip may get cut out entirely....but not sure on that part yet either.

MBarnum

« Reply #94 on: March 12, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »

A little something to help degrogify our leader.

singdaw

« Reply #95 on: March 12, 2007, 10:10:23 AM »

Todd Graf, who directed CAMP, was in the original cast of BIRDS OF PARADISE.
Right!  Thank you.  I can't believe I didn't make that connection before...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #96 on: March 12, 2007, 10:11:09 AM »

Ah, Leslie would wake up the dead.

Ginny

« Reply #97 on: March 12, 2007, 10:11:38 AM »

Does everyone still think that they may be home in NYC around the week starting on the 25th of June??  I think I'd like to come visit a few days.

DR MusicGuy - my DH and I will be in Washington, DC, for the American Library Association annual conference June 23-28 and on June 28 (Thursday) will make our way to NYC, where we will stay until July 2.  Will you stay the whole week so we can get together?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #98 on: March 12, 2007, 10:13:21 AM »

DR Ginny, sorry to hear about your migraine.  Glad you're feeling better today.  Those can be excruciating!

DR singdaw - thank you!  I'm still amazed that I felt like coming to work today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #99 on: March 12, 2007, 10:22:15 AM »

I am intrigued about BIRDS OF PARADISE.  I don't recall it at all but it features Donna Murphy.  I'm thinking of adding it to my current Amazon order.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #100 on: March 12, 2007, 10:23:24 AM »

Good morning, HHW!

Uh-oh, allergies. Vibes to DR RON and DR MBARNUM for allergy relief.
Vibes to DR GINNY for no more migraines.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #101 on: March 12, 2007, 10:24:55 AM »

DR SINGDAW,
do note that there's a SEARCH function for the posts. You'll want to use the Advanced Search. Personally, I find it doesn't always give me what I want, but perhaps DR DER BRUCER can help out. I believe he's quite proficient at it.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 12, 2007, 10:26:20 AM »

I'm thinking of adding it to my current Amazon order.

I wonder if the folks at Amazon have any idea how many sales are generated as a result of HHW.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 12, 2007, 10:27:22 AM »

I thought of other shows I've seen early in performance and then eagerly awaited the cast album: RENT, THE MYSTERY OF EDWIN DROOD, and ON YOUR TOES.

And THE SECRET GARDEN.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #104 on: March 12, 2007, 10:28:18 AM »

TTFN. Will try to return later.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #105 on: March 12, 2007, 10:28:41 AM »

Okay, if I were Japanese, female and twenty, this is what my TV show would probably look like:  Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #106 on: March 12, 2007, 10:28:55 AM »

do note that there's a SEARCH function for the posts.
Thanks, DR Jeanne.  I'll investigate...

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #107 on: March 12, 2007, 10:30:33 AM »

How about a
QUADRILLE

How about a LOBSTER Quadrille?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 10:31:02 AM by Edisaurus »
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2007, 10:43:59 AM »

I am intrigued about BIRDS OF PARADISE.  I don't recall it at all but it features Donna Murphy.  I'm thinking of adding it to my current Amazon order.

It was one of the most intelligent shows I know, written by Winnie Holtzman and based on Chekhov's THE SEAGULL.  The musical intelligently but wrongly, made the assumption that the audience already knew THE SEAGULL.  The show was about a community theatre in a location like Nantucket, performing a new musical, written by one of their members and based at the Chekhov play.  Only a couple of musical numbers from the "new musical" are shown, but the cast temselves are living the plot of THE SEAGULL and don't know it.  If the audience didn't know the original Chekhov, then they would miss the source of the musical's plot.  Donna Murphy played a character based on Masha, who loved Todd Graf (Konstantin), who loved Crista Moore (Nina), who loved John Cunningham (Trigorin), who was loved by Mary Beth Piel (Arkadina).  JK Simmons, who played John Cunningham's brother, was married to a character based on Pauline, played by Barbara Walsh, and Andrew Hill's school teacher, based on Medvedenko, pined for Donna Murphy.  

I just looked up the NY Times review: the reviewer missed the Chekhovian plot as well, and he's a drama critic?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 10:45:21 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2007, 10:44:16 AM »

Okay, if I were Japanese, female and twenty, this is what my TV show would probably look like:  Gorgeous Tiny Chicken Machine Show

Love it!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2007, 10:45:43 AM »

MOOD OF THE DAY:

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2007, 10:47:23 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, what happened to you that required stitches?  [If it's not too personal]

It's not too personal...

I had headed back to my apartment for lunch during a rehearsal for She Loves Me at Arena Stage.  I had my lunch, and I started washing my dishes.  I was washing a mug when the handle broke off...  After a couple of minutes of wondering just how bad the cut was, I went ahead and headed back to rehearsal with my thumb bandaged up - and applying a lot of pressure to it.  Once I got to the rehearsal room, I asked my stage manager for some "help".  She looked at it, and then called the company manager who drove me to the emergency room.  Four stitches, and only about an hour later...  It was a deep cut, but a clean one - which was surprising since it was the harp of the (ceramic) mug that cut me.  *That was the day of the Redskins vs. Cowboys game, so the ER was quite slow at the time I arrived.  All in the timing.  -Now as for how busy the ER was after I left and after the game ended...

I was not able to use my thumb for two days - just in time for tech week!  -Although, since it was tech week, most of the first day was spent moving into the theatre.  And I was actually able to play the rest of the week with my left thumb bandaged up.  -Which was a good thing since the conductor did not feel like running the rehearsals.... :-\ but that's another story.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #112 on: March 12, 2007, 10:52:22 AM »

TOD - The incident I remember that fits today's topic happened with our DS Rob.  When he was quite young (early elementary school?) the local summer youth production was Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat.  We knew many of the cast members, including some kids about Rob's age, and he was totally enthralled.  We had to go to Border's the next day and buy the CD.  I'm hoping he'll come home next week for spring break so I can share The Brain with him.

singdaw

« Reply #113 on: March 12, 2007, 10:54:38 AM »

Egad, DR JoseSPiano!  Happy that it wasn't more serious and didn't appear to have any long-lasting effect.  Those Russian hands and Roman fingers [ask DR elmore3003] sound, from DR Edisarus' report, like they should be insured by Lloyd's of London.

Glad that your insurance will kick in, though it sometimes seems like managing that process can be a full-time job in itself.

[Aside: She Loves Me is my favorite non-SS show.]

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #114 on: March 12, 2007, 10:55:10 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I have no idea.  For most musicals that I've seen, I have almost always already had the record or CD...if I wanted it.

Ditto - what we said :)

Although, there have been shows where I've seen the show and couldn't wait for the Cast Reocording to come out,  Sometimes, it never did :(

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #115 on: March 12, 2007, 10:58:16 AM »

...it is still a work in progress.

Aren't we all!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #116 on: March 12, 2007, 10:58:35 AM »

Ditto - what we said :)

Although, there have been shows where I've seen the show and couldn't wait for the Cast Reocording to come out,  Sometimes, it never did :(

And sometimes you record a cast album, and it doesn't come out.  :-\

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #117 on: March 12, 2007, 11:04:37 AM »

Egad, DR JoseSPiano!  Happy that it wasn't more serious and didn't appear to have any long-lasting effect.  Those Russian hands and Roman fingers [ask DR elmore3003] sound, from DR Edisarus' report, like they should be insured by Lloyd's of London.

Glad that your insurance will kick in, though it sometimes seems like managing that process can be a full-time job in itself.

[Aside: She Loves Me is my favorite non-SS show.]

Thanks.  No, my hands are not insured, but someday...

As for my insurance... I just got some more paperwork from my insurance company in today's mail.  Apparently, the initial ER visit is being covered, but the follow-up visit to get the stitches removed is not.  Well, at least not the hospital charges (administrative - ?).  Now I'm wondering what exactly is going to happen to the doctor's part of the bill.  I think I'm going to wait a few more days before I actually make some phone calls since it seems that it just truly took them a long(!) time to process the claim.  I suspect some more paperwork is on its way.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #118 on: March 12, 2007, 11:10:44 AM »

Pippin is now a thing of the past.  'Nuff said.

Jekyll and Hyde is now the main focus and so far things are going well.  There is also the remainder of Lent and the planning for Easter that's always exciting.  In regards to J/H, we're having a good time keeping the show in a Victorian Era - especailly with the sound of the show.  Trying to smooth out the pop ballads and maybe do a little re-orchestraiting when it comes to rhythms and things like that.  My goal is to keep it in the Victorian era and not transport us to the 1990's with ballads like "This is the Moment" and "In His Eyes" - and the dreaded "Someone Like You" - it will definately be something of a "Phantom Lite"  :)

Ben

« Reply #119 on: March 12, 2007, 11:11:41 AM »

Does everyone still think that they may be home in NYC around the week starting on the 25th of June??  I think I'd like to come visit a few days.

We will be here at that time. At this point Mr. Morelli has no summer work lined up so we will be in the city for the summer.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14   Go Up