Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: RED-LETTER DAY  (Read 25116 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:RED-LETTER DAY
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2005, 09:59:14 AM »

And one for Mahler.

Ben

« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2005, 10:01:25 AM »

DR Stuart, we seem to have much in common. Matching my socks to my outer outfits has always been part of my grooming.

And, yes, your explantion of shopping in the teen department is correct.

Although I did shop sometimes, years ago at Lord and Taylor's, but also now the style of clothing (at least in New York stores) carried in teen boy departments brings a new definition to the word ugly. I find the styles today hideous. I wouldn't wear them if I was dead and laid out in a closed casket. I would come back to haunt the person who dressed me that way. Do I make myself clear??? :D

TPunk

• Crapballs!
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2005, 10:01:27 AM »

I just saw the film cast of Rent at Bryant Park.  They sang Seasons of Love and Take Me As I Am.  Seasons of Love didn't quite have the oomph that the cast recording does...but then, it was only the principals and no ensemble.

It was great to see and hear Idina Menzel live singing Take Me As I Am.  She and Tracie Thoms, the new Joanne did quite well.  I am super excited for the movie.

As a side note, both Taye Diggs and Adam Pascal looked hot.  Adam Pascal has lost some weight and looks fabulous.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 10:02:25 AM by TPunk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2005, 10:01:41 AM »

Have written a first go at the jacket flap copy for Rewind.  Next up, I have to proof the Stages/Together Again notes, which I now have mocked up in booklet format.  

I also had a nice conversation with a set designer I used to know way back when.  We're going to meet next week, but I think he's going to come on board and do the set for my new play.  He's fantastic - an Emmy Award-winning set designer, who is finding it difficult to get work these days with all the rampant ageism that goes on shamelessly in show business.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2005, 10:30:00 AM »

DR Stuart, we seem to have much in common. Matching my socks to my outer outfits has always been part of my grooming.

And, yes, your explantion of shopping in the teen department is correct.

Although I did shop sometimes, years ago at Lord and Taylor's, but also now the style of clothing (at least in New York stores) carried in teen boy departments brings a new definition to the word ugly. I find the styles today hideous. I wouldn't wear them if I was dead and laid out in a closed casket. I would come back to haunt the person who dressed me that way. Do I make myself clear??? :D

Quite.   :D

Oh, for the days of the late, lamented B. Altman's.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2005, 10:43:32 AM »

I've always tried to go against fashion trends as much as possible.  Yes - I'm a rebel and I'll never-ever be any good.  I'm basically a jeans and t-shirt kinda guy, or shorts and sweatshirt, I don't own a jacket as I find them very constraining, especially when trying to play, the very broad shoulders don't help!  I prefer to purchase clothes at Target and K-mart and the occasional trip to Casual Male Big and Tall.

DP Eric is constantly on my back about being a "clothes horse" which I prefer to be called a "clothes whore".  There just something about new clothes that I find exciting and I always like to have a plethora of things to choose from each day to wear.  

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2005, 11:15:37 AM »

I am so glad that I never was a "clothes horse" (or "whore" ;)).  I never would've been able to find anything "trendy" in my size, anyway.  Oh, well.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2005, 11:30:34 AM »

I shall now be on my way to the Hills of Beverly to pick up auction items and to lunch.  I shall return shortly.

Matthew

« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2005, 11:57:35 AM »

Lunch, there's a concept....

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2005, 12:07:24 PM »

I just saw the film cast of Rent at Bryant Park.  They sang Seasons of Love and Take Me As I Am.  Seasons of Love didn't quite have the oomph that the cast recording does...but then, it was only the principals and no ensemble.

It was great to see and hear Idina Menzel live singing Take Me As I Am.  She and Tracie Thoms, the new Joanne did quite well.  I am super excited for the movie.

As a side note, both Taye Diggs and Adam Pascal looked hot.  Adam Pascal has lost some weight and looks fabulous.

color me green!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2005, 12:16:11 PM »

color me green!!

Y'know, Rit now makes a dye remover.  That might help with your little problem.

;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2005, 12:25:17 PM »

My intermittant internet did NOT post my post earlier today.  Hmmm.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2005, 12:26:11 PM »

RENT - oh well.  As Bill Sampson said:  "You may not like it, you may not understand it.  But that doesn't mean it isn't theatre to somebody, somewhere."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2005, 12:27:32 PM »

I HATE the dressing "down" at formal events.  I liked the old fashioned dinner jacket OR tuxedo with a wing collar shirt and nice bow tie.  A vest, sometimes....

I like button-down shirts and nice comfortable shoes.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2005, 12:27:54 PM »

Hopefully sooner or later - Mr BK will run into Mr Tony Walton!

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #105 on: August 04, 2005, 01:02:24 PM »

Looks like there's a storm a'brewin', right outside my office window.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #106 on: August 04, 2005, 01:24:28 PM »

It's about to storm here as well DR DtM!

Looking forward to seeing the LIL ABNER scans when I get back from rehearsal.

DR HISAKA - I have never seen that LIL ABNER poster before!

Jason

« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2005, 01:28:45 PM »

The skies are looking a little grey and ominous here in the Big Apple, too. If it's gonna rain, it better be one heck of a downpour so it cools things down. None of this piddly sprinkles stuff - that just makes it more humid!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2005, 02:24:48 PM »

Hopefully sooner or later - Mr BK will run into Mr Tony Walton!

Why?  Will something special happen?  What did I miss?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:25:48 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2005, 02:40:50 PM »

Well, I'm back from Tams-Witmark, and I did indeed finish the trombone part.  I will be fading soon; I'm quite tired.   I also learned today that my beautiful young friend Naomi Aborn is playing Meryl Streep's daughter in the new movie PRIME.  I'm so happy for her.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 02:43:06 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Tomovoz

« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2005, 02:43:29 PM »

Our hearts were young and gay.
Mine still is DtM. The rest of me.....
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2005, 02:43:49 PM »

Here's Naomi's picture!  I forgot.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2005, 02:44:24 PM »

She's much bigger in real life!

Matthew

« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2005, 02:49:41 PM »

Dr Elmore - are you editing the parts, fixing the parts, re-orchestrating, or restoring?  Enquiring minds want to know

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2005, 03:01:43 PM »

Dr Elmore - are you editing the parts, fixing the parts, re-orchestrating, or restoring?  Enquiring minds want to know

About five years ago, I mentioned to Susanna Moross Tarjan, the composer's daughter that the last engraved vocal score she paid to have done had some errors.  Early in 2003, she called me and asked me to edit a new one.  I went through her father's ms piano-vocal, had it entered into computer, checked the lyrics against the published libretto and the recording, and went through the new score, perhaps too quickly, with the original conductor's score.  Now that I'm finally correcting the orchestra parts at Tams-Witmark, I'm finding a million errors I let slip past me, so this venture next month will guarantee as much of a corrected piano-conductor score as possible without having erome Moross around to answer several big questions, like why the score they lease has a musical number in a different key from the band parts!

The orchestra parts leased by Tams-Witmark were made from the uncorrected Broadway parts, in some case, so I'm constantly checking each note against my new piano-conductor score and the original parts with correections - on file at Tams-Witmark.   The librarian who prepared trhe materials in the mid-1950s had neither the penmanship nor the editorial skills of his  replacement, Tams-Witmark's librarian emeritus Dale Kugel, whose work is a model for us all, so his recopied masters have his own errors.  The show doesn't make enough income to warrant the cost of copying new band parts, so the new masters I'm providing will be correct as far as possible but often still lousy to read.  I'm copying new pages, tidying what I can, but I'm primarily trying to reconcile everything.

In 1977, Moross wrote a new version of "My Love Is On the Way": same tune and harmony but with a 9/8 bar replacing the fourth 6/8 bar in a phrase, most likely to get rid of the dum-de-dum feeling and give Penelope an occasional breath.  That and the original finale "We've Just Begun" are the only changes in the score.  However, they were handed out as inserts, so they are finally in the new band parts where they belong. The Broadway ending "Going Home Together" was turned into the Curtain Call by Moross.  We did find in the original Broadway parts Exit Music and Entr'Acte, and I've put them into the new vocal score as appendices.

This score is so fantastic.  I'm living for the orchestra rehearsals just to hear how the whole score fits together.  Each musical sequence seems to be composed along the lines of theme and variations.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2005, 03:05:23 PM by elmore3003 »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2005, 03:03:04 PM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from rehearsal.  Got a lot of stuff done today which was good.  And after rehearsal we had a little "discussion" which was good too - and much needed.

Everyone keeps saying it's really hot here today, but I've been kind of comfortable all day.  Yes, it's warm, but the humidity seems down from yesterday and there's been a slight breeze all day.  Maybe I'm feeling cooler since I've been fasting today.

I've been drinking lots of water, and I just had some fruit juice.  I'm about to head out with Tom and Curtis to make a grocery store run, and I may go ahead and break the fast tonight.  Or not.  But I feel fine.

I really felt like I needed to give my body a break today.  My sweet tooth has kicked in big time in the past three days, and since the coffee shop next to the rehearsal hall has some very good pastries... And then there is the ice cream shop across the street (which had Chocolate Pudding Ice Cream last night - Sooooo good!).  So...  I have a feeling I've loaded and stored enough carbs for at least a day if not two.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2005, 03:06:11 PM »

Well, I'm off to the Stop 'n' Shop...  Anyone need anything?

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Matthew

« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2005, 03:06:33 PM »

DR Elmore - thanks for your explanation :)  

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2005, 03:17:56 PM »

No Charlie today. The inspector calls tomorrow.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2005, 03:27:20 PM »

I'm back, and to prove it, I'm here.  I shall now photograph the Li'l Abner sketches.

I've done banking, picked up several excellent packages, and at least one of the big store invoice payments arrived today.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up