Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LEAPING PHRASE  (Read 21050 times)

Ben

Re:THE LEAPING PHRASE
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2004, 08:20:20 AM »

Donald, thank you for a WONDERFUL show this week. Without giving away the "faith" part, I especially enjoyed Once Upon a Time, Make Someone Happy, All the Things You Are, and A Quiet Thing.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2004, 08:47:31 AM »

DR Ben, the songs you mentioned from Donald's show are among my favorite Broadway songs ever. Just goes to show that wonderful songs like "Once Upon a Time" can be found in flop musicals like ALL AMERICAN as well as in hits.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2004, 09:01:10 AM »

Anyone know exactly how many members they are of the Foreign Press Association who give out the awards.

In today's LA Times it said "about 90."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2004, 09:03:56 AM »

I loved Queen Latifah's dress and her new boobs.  She really looks proportioned now.  Elijah Wood looked quite dashing with his suit and huge eyes.  I didn't care too much for Nicole Kidman's outfit (but I didn't hate it).  I thought that the cut-out sections made it too angular and that it should have had more curves to it.  Also, that's the kind of dress where one cannot slouch when sitting!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Panni

« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2004, 09:11:27 AM »

Before we get too serious about these awards (any awards, for that matter) - I want to re-post what I said last night... Which is that the Hollywood "Foreign Press" consists of very few members (around 90, according to the LA Times) many (if not most) of whom have day jobs which have nothing to do with the press, foreign or domestic. One of the members was quoted in the paper today as saying "We're more fans of movies than judges."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2004, 09:36:45 AM »

I HATE the calendar thing, which I obviously still don't know how to read - oh, well, MusicGuy gets two parties then.

No comments on the Larry Moore interview?

And where in tarnation IS everyone?  Certainly TODAY is not a holiday like last Monday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2004, 09:39:05 AM »

Good morning!  Good afternoon!

It looks rather lovely outside my window right now... although, I'm not really looking forward to the next TWO waves of freezing rain, sleet and ice tonight and tomorrow.  At least I have no real place I have to be in the next few days... But I guess it also means I won't be able to get my car into the shop until Wednesday.  Ah, well... But that will also mean I won't have to pay for the repair until Wednesday now.  Always a silver lining!

Re: "The Office" - Sometimes I get it, sometimes I don't.  However, Ricky Gervais does clean up nicely, and it's nice to see him with a real smile on his face - almost a different person.  The American version will be interesting to check out.  -And at least they're not just going to reuse the original English scripts for their first two episodes like "Coupling" did.  -And I actually like the original "Coupling" - the shallowness of the characters seemed more real than their American counterparts, so the humor is actually funny rather than forced... imho.. or something like that.

Well, I'm off to venture into the snow.  Just want to take nice walk, and then I'm heading over to a friend's place for some hot soup and fresh-baked yeast rolls!  YUMMY!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2004, 09:49:28 AM »

I thought the Larry Moore interview was very interesting.  I am still not sure what an arranger does....but I sort of know.  ;D

Sounds like a hardworking loyal friend!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 09:49:51 AM by JRand53 »
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2004, 09:52:40 AM »

Do discuss Globes whether or not you posted about it yesterday.

Sorry, Dear BK.  I don't repeat myself.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2004, 09:52:58 AM »

Do discuss Globes whether or not you posted about it yesterday.

Sorry, Dear BK.  I don't repeat myself.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2004, 09:56:23 AM »

DR Jose (or others): Did you happen to see the new Trading Spaces episode on Saturday?  The new designers one with Laura and Barry. I must say, Laura seems sweet. And her design was nice (except for that awful slipcover). I cannot stand when designers do tacky slipcovers. IMO, you need to totally redo the couches, with form fitting slip covers. What she did (that white thing) looked like she got it from a dollar store!

As for Barry, I don't like his designs. That room was awful. What the heck? He used a white sheet to make an entraceway? What were those horrible red circles on the ceiling? And the blue sofa and curtain were so ugly. I'm sorry, but yellow, red and light blue do not go together! Terrible room. About the only part I did enjoy was the wall color. I felt so bad for that woman, since she said she didn't like modern. And all he did was go against her wishes.

Jennifer

« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2004, 09:59:33 AM »

LOL DR Jay.

It was too bad that they did them on tape delay to the west coast. But I suppose they do it partially for the ratings. I mean, who would want to watch at 4pm when the red carpet stuff started.

But at least next weekend the west coasters are in luck. Cause they can watch the Superbowl and Survivor at a decent time. And us east coasters will have to stay up till midnight to catch the end of Survivor All-Stars (probably).

William E. Lurie

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2004, 10:01:46 AM »

I saw one episode of "The Office" on BBC-America and sat there wondering what was so great about it.  Perhaps it was because I did not see the initial episodes that explained who these characters were, but I find it very over-rated.

I printed out the Larry Moore interview and when I've had a chance to read it, I'll comment.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2004, 10:30:12 AM »

Didn't watch.  I find award shows tiresome and Onanistic.  But yesterday I caught some of the heralded movies, and, if they're the winners, it must have been a very bad year for film.  Lost In Translation and Mystic River weren't bad films, but, compared to award-winning performances of the past, the work of Bill Murray, Sean Penn and Tim Robbins seems pale.  And Sofia Coppola for screenplay?

Some spoilers ahead (if you haven't seen Mystic River)

I'm someone who visited Japan soon after graduating from a college in New York, just like Charlotte in Lost In Translation.  The script says she's an intellectual, but this goes unproven.  I'm here to say anyone with half a mind would find Japan fascinating.  And yet, Charlotte and Bob are completely bored with it.  Now, Bob's a movie star, so, he needn't have much of a mind.  But he's contrasted with another movie star, a blonde with no mind at all, and SHE's having a great time in Japan.  Why are the leads so bored in such a fascinating place?  Made no sense to me.

Much of the mystery of Mystic River turns on doubts as to what happened to Tim Robbins that led his hand to get cut up.  He comes up with several explanations at various points in the film.  What WE know (and his wife knows) is that he also has a long knife wound in his belly.  So, at various points in his film, when characters doubt his story, why doesn't he reveal this wound?  Katie had no knife, and no one would think she slashed his belly.  The film would have you believe that the memory of a childhood trauma leads all sorts of characters to act the way they do.  But nothing accounts for Dave's not revealing his stomach wound, even when his life is at stake.

Maybe I knew too much to buy Master and Commander.  But, there's a key moment in which the captain learns about camouflage from observing an insect.  And yet any seaman of the time would know that pirate ships disguised themselves as other kinds of ships all the time.  So, the lesson learned from the obscure species was specious.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2004, 10:34:08 AM »

Reflections on the GG:

BOOBs, yes:

SCRUFFY, yes:

LONGEST ROSARY AWARD:

Peter Jackson as Edna?

More like these at Photo Essay

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Emily

« Reply #45 on: January 26, 2004, 11:09:34 AM »

Happy Birthday to MusicGuy!!

My one GG related statement/comment:

LES INVASIONS BARBARES WUZ ROBBED!!!!!!!

That is one of the few movies I have ever seen which not only got me teary eyed, but made me WEEP.  Osama shosama.  Give me Marie-Josée Croze any day.
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Panni

« Reply #46 on: January 26, 2004, 11:13:58 AM »

Just read the interview with Larry Moore. I love going into worlds I know absolutely nothing about. And certainly I know nothing about orchestration. It was fascinating. It was also interesting to read about "madcap escapades" during recording sessions...  The only disturbing aspect of the piece was Moore's ambivalence about his feelings for bk. (For those who haven't read the interview, that's a joke. Moore to bk: "...I love you! You are a genius in every sense of the word, and I'm still one of your biggest fans.")

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: January 26, 2004, 11:42:47 AM »

OMG, I almost just had a heart attack. I just got 2 emails from ship-confirm@amazon.com saying i'd bought hundreds of dollars of electronics. The emails looked so REAL. And I'm pretty sure the address was real.  And they had the same "your order 123-456 has just been shipped".

Spammers are getting too good at this! (although I don't think they even asked me for money, which is weird). Maybe they were just hoping i'd respond to their message.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #48 on: January 26, 2004, 11:51:58 AM »

What is The Office? Has anyone heard of this show?  Is this even an American show (or is it merely a British show that is seen on BBC America?).
Merely?  Because a show is British, it's merely?  This descriptor of a country whose television production has given us I, Claudius?  The Six Wives of Henry VIII?  Upstairs, Downstairs?  The original Traffic?  As Time Goes By?  Are You Being Served?  

Not to mention Doctor Who, The Avengers, and everything Black Adder!

(DR Jennifer, I hope you realize I'm teasing.   :-*)

There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Laura II

« Reply #49 on: January 26, 2004, 11:54:40 AM »

Happy almost birthday, MusicGuy!

I was errant and truant from Friday until today. My dad returned from his trip to Dublin and London, so we spent time with him doing family things. :) We went to this place called Sweet Water Tavern yesterday--delicious filet mignon! Overall, the weekend was nice. I figured since I'm leaving for Philly tomorrow (depending on this weather), and my dad is leaving for Paris before I come home, I should spend time with him. I should be errant and truant on and off this week, too.

Random thought (I'll post about the GGs later): My brother turned to me earlier and said, "Laura, what kind of site do you read?? This Bruce guy uses bad words." He was looking at today's notes and showed me. http://asksnoop.com/shizzolator.php?url=http://www.haineshisway.com Baaaad BK! This asksnoop thing is really kind of funny, though!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 11:55:57 AM by Laura II »
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2004, 11:59:36 AM »

Charles Pogue I did catch your post last night, in fact I went looking for it.  I live in Ashland, a lovely town just over the California border.  Ashland is well known for its Shakespeare festival.

Janet mentioned Larry Drake.  

You came up in the conversation because I asked.  A while back I mentioned I should watch Babylon 5 as my neighbor directed some of the episodes.  At that moment it struck me you knew Janet.  She is writing, has begun directing some local plays and may be filming a documentary soon.  I believe her, absolutely gorgeous, little girl is eight now.  I think Janet moved here to give her daughter a simpler life.  Come to Ashland in the fall and find out for yourself.  I said fall because it is so beautiful here.  Spring & summer or great too.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:00:41 PM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2004, 12:03:51 PM »

Man, what is WITH Mondays?  There are actually quite a few people with us, but they are staring into their oatmeal instead of posting.  

I got (finally!) my third and final blurb for Kritzer Time.  It's from Gary Owens (who blurbed the first two - he and Dick Lochte are my good luck charms) so I'm happy to have it, and I sent it off to the publishers so they can add it.

"A pop culture gem. Bruce is the greatest writer of this genre since my friend Jean Shepard.  Anytime Is Kritzer Time!"

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #52 on: January 26, 2004, 12:10:50 PM »

I loved Queen Latifah's dress and her new boobs.  She really looks proportioned now.  Elijah Wood looked quite dashing with his suit and huge eyes.  I didn't care too much for Nicole Kidman's outfit (but I didn't hate it)....that's the kind of dress where one cannot slouch when sitting!
As Kidman carries forward the proud tradition of Mamie Van Doren!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #53 on: January 26, 2004, 12:18:51 PM »

Before we get too serious about these awards (any awards, for that matter) - I want to re-post what I said last night... Which is that the Hollywood "Foreign Press" consists of very few members (around 90, according to the LA Times) many (if not most) of whom have day jobs which have nothing to do with the press, foreign or domestic. One of the members was quoted in the paper today as saying "We're more fans of movies than judges."

I don't have any problem with that statement. None of the critics' and film groups that give year end awards have any more members than the Hollywood Foreign Press other than the AMPAS. And how many members of the National Board of Review actually have jobs as critics or journalists? They keep their membership lists MUCH more secretive than the HFPA does.

Once you start pointing fingers at one group, it seems unfair when there are other groups whose awards have just as much to be suspect about as the GGs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: January 26, 2004, 12:20:04 PM »

DR Charles P., I second the wonderful description of Ashland, Oregon. I lived in Medford (which is just north of Ashland a few miles) for my first 21 years of life and that whole area is great! And Ashland is such a beautiful place...and a great spot to see some nice plays!

td

• td
« Reply #55 on: January 26, 2004, 12:30:12 PM »

td on the Golden Globes:

I just caught an infomercial for THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW COLLECTOR'S EDITION, which packed more entertainment value into it than nearly any award show can, or does.

Someone unexpectedly looks very pretty in pink - Queen Latifah.

Well, without spoilers, I will say that I have only had FOUR or FIVE shout-out-loud, "Yippee!" moments tonight during the awards. . .

Someone please explain Paris Hilton to me.

Wow, has anybody seen Anthony LaPaglia's wife? !? !? !?! ? hubba-hubba!

I for one, didn't find Pacino scary at all, though Johnny Depp puts me in a goose-fleshy trance. . .is he a mesmer?
Pacino as Shylock, which is what I assume the beard and ponytail are for. . .

and last but not least, once again I present:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]MY FAVORITE PHOTO OF NICOLE KIDMAN:[/move]
(unlike DR Jay, I am more that willing to repeat myself)   ;D

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Tomovoz

« Reply #56 on: January 26, 2004, 12:33:46 PM »

Thanks for the Harrods photo Ben. With a low $A we could not afford the afternoon teas last time -  the price seemed outrageous. We have had it on previous trips.
It is MusicGuy's birthday here. Thank you BK for once are in the same time zone.

"The Office" was on TV here about 18 months ago. I certainly had no trouble identifying similar people in my old work place. I did not find it "roll about laughing" - just uncomfortably funny and very clever.

Who knows, the USA remake may work. "Archie Bunker" ("All In The Family" was it? ) made it from "Til Death Do Us Part" and even "Queer As Folk" works in a bizarre sort of way.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:35:01 PM by Tomovoz »
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #57 on: January 26, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

I always wanted to visit Ashland simply because of the Shakespeare Festival.  They also held onto my Sherlock Holmes play THE EBONY APE a long time, before finally declining not to produce it.

I have a friend from High School who is a doctor, also a big naturalist, and has been living in Bend forever and has always extoll the virtues of Oregon.

And then, of course, I must make an odssey someday to the legendary Powells Book Store in Portland.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #58 on: January 26, 2004, 12:38:45 PM »

...THE OFFICE...in two years, they've made only 12 episodes of the show, so the quality can remain high when you're only producing 6 shows a season.
You've probably hit upon the key reason why it is so difficult for an American version of a hit British show to succeed.  With a full season of American shows running 22 episodes these days, as opposed to the British six, there's a lot of strain put on the writing staff to come up with original ideas that still work within the premise.  For that matter, a British show will often have just one writer, or a team of two, while it's American counterpart will easily have a half-dozen, all with varying senses of humor and skill levels.

Still, we keep hoping to find another All in the Family.  But that, in turn, shows how the translation means making radical changes.  The British Archie was caustic and unlovable, an unredeamable fellow.  Six episodes per season were quite enough.  But move him over to American television, and such a character would have become unpalatable all too soon.  Thus the American Archie softened, changed with time; in effect, the man learned.  

If there ended up being a problem with the American Archie, it was that he lasted too long, his rough edges worn away until he became a smooth pebble in a stream, with none of his original roughness to create a stir in the currents around him.  We do this to our own characters, too; consider Murphy Brown, who was originally caustic and sharp, and by the end of the series was just moments away from turning into Mary Poppins!  Even Becker, whose final episode is coming within the week, is ending with the man contemplating being happy.

I've read that Don Knotts, who left The Andy Griffith Show after just five seasons, regrets having done so.  I say he did the right thing; would we really want to see Barney Fife happily married and successful?  In real life, perhaps, but it makes for lousy comedy.  Barney Fife remains a comic gem because his edges are still rough and unpolished.  Not as rough-edged as his British counterpart would have been, but a good balance between the two extremes.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:43:23 PM by S. Woody White »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #59 on: January 26, 2004, 12:44:37 PM »

One hundred away!  Watch out, ye Gods, here I come!

Oh, look!  A
Music Man reference!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2004, 12:46:07 PM by S. Woody White »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up