Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Down

Author Topic: THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING  (Read 22888 times)

Sandra

• "Stupider."
Re:THEY'RE OFF AND RUNNING
« Reply #180 on: July 25, 2005, 10:19:07 PM »

The only card game I can play is Scum. I only get to play it every other summer at the family reunion. It's tradition to stay up until the wee small hours of the morning playing Scum. It's also usually tradition that my cousins Amy and Carrie win and my cousin Robin and I lose.

I have my Keno numbers for when we go to Vegas. I've never actually played them, but I'll be prepared in case I ever do decide to play Keno.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

Sandra

• "Stupider."
« Reply #181 on: July 25, 2005, 10:21:03 PM »

Page Seven dance!

I'm dancing to "The Merry-Go-Round Broke Down" because, for some reason, that's what I have running through my head.
The mountains are pretty.

"I'm gonna put the little fish in the big tank, and the big fish in the little tank." -- talkative bus driver

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #182 on: July 25, 2005, 10:28:27 PM »

After futzing around here at the apartment for a while, I finally made my way down to Chelsea.  To 23rd Street.  To Home Depot.  I wanted to check out air conditioners.  I had checked them out online, but wanted to see what they actually had in store.  Plus, I just really had to see if there was really a Home Depot in New York City.

Well... Yes, Virginia, there is a Home Depot in New York City.  -In fact, there are three of them.

Being in The City, it was not your typical Home Depot.  None of that big warehouse look.  No towering shelves of merchandise.  No endless aisles to walk down.  Not even the poured concrete floor.  Heck, this one even has escalators!

In any case, I ended up scouting out the model I had seen online.  I just needed the smallest one since I have a small room.  $83.97.  Not bad.

Well...

I headed back out onto the street since I still needed to get some lunch before I had my coaching session.  I was hoping to head back to this great little crepe place right near Union Square Park.  We ate there a lot during the Children of Eden rehearsals last year.  Well, the store front was still there, but it was now a Korean place.  So, I had Korean food for lunch - bimbimbop.  Very good, and the kimchi was hot and spicy without being incendiary.

Well...

Since I had a little bit of time, and it was too hot(?) outside, I decided to walk up and over the 11 or so blocks instead of hoping on the subway.  On the way over I passed Old Navy - where I ended up buying some khaki shorts and a belt.  Then I headed up to Ripley-Grier for my coaching session...
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #183 on: July 25, 2005, 10:31:54 PM »

Speaking of Tony Awards--I know I've mentioned this many times here but I'll mention it again:  I own Alexis Smith's Tony Award for Follies.  I bought it on eBay.  It's missing its base.  Until I think of a nice way to display it, I'll keep it in a velvet pouch in my sock drawer.

Wow!  Can you post a picture of it?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2005, 10:37:14 PM »

The coaching session was fun.

The studios were busy-busy today - there was a casting call for The Woman In White going on.  I ran into a bunch of people, and it was fun getting some of the updates (i.e. gossip).  In any case...

A former student of mine was just looking for someone to run some music with, someone to play piano.  I ran into at the Damn Yankees call.  He has an audition for an agent tomorrow, and just wanted to make sure he was still singing his stuff correctly.

He actually sort of surprised me with his "book" - quite a nice selection of materials, different styles, different tempos.  Alas, he's been using the same stuff for the past four or five years, and we'll be working again to help him find some new stuff.  But that will be later.

For now, he just wanted to sing through some of his music with a pianist.  It was fun playing and listening to him.  His voice has really come a long way since graduating.  I made comments when necessary, but didn't give too much advice since I didn't want to overload his head with too many things before tomorrow.

The only time I struggled was when he wanted to sing through "King of the World" from Songs for a New World.  That song is just plain hard, hard, hard to play!  It's one of the songs I keep in my "practice" book - and I guess I need to practice it again.  I was actually getting a little self-conscious while playing through it - I was thinking of anyone who might be outside the studio listening to me.  But I made it through, and Jerrold actually apologized for putting me through it.

;)

Well...

Since I had just got paid, and since it was only 5:00, I went ahead and headed back to Home Depot...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2005, 10:46:44 PM »

I entered Home Depot shortly after 5:00.  I was in the self-checkout line by 5:08.  And I headed for the F Train - big box in hand, by 5:15.  -And I was back at the apartment by 5:45.  -Gotta love those Express trains.

I had toyed with getting the box rigged up so that I could carry it with a handle, but then realized that carrying an air conditioner - even a small one - with one hand was going to be harder than carrying it with two.  Thankfully, I just had to walk down to the corner to grab the F, and the train was coming into the station just as I hit the turnstile.  Great timing.  And then I transferred to the B at Time Square, and took that to 145th.

I got it set up in my window by 6:30.  But when I went to turn it on, it did not work.  Hmm... So I plugged something else into the wall jack - which looks like it was put there to handle an A/C unit.  The something else did not work either.  I checked the fuse box and everything looked fine.  Hmmm...

Do I move it to the other window?  NO!

Thankfully, I remembered I had brought along a heavy duty multi-plug thingy - can't think of the proper name right now.  Oh, electric strip - ???  In any case...  I plugged that in, then turned the power on.... and... The hum started!

Whew!  -If I had to carry that thing back down to Home Depot...  Well, I probably would have just splurged on a cab then.  ;)

So, as I'm posting this post, I'm sitting in my newly climately controlled room.  Ah...

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2005, 10:55:31 PM »

OH!

And I went to that Understudies concert tonight too at the Ars Nova Theatre.  Fun, Fun, Fun!

DR Jason's pal, Joe, ended up accompanying me.  And a fine looking "accompaniment" he is.  :)

Seth Rudetsky was the host and pianist for the evening.  A very funny man, and a very good pianist too.  This was the third or fourth "Understudies" cabaret evening he's put together.  Basically, he features the understudies - give them a chance to sing their big song in the show.  Some of the understudies have gone on already, some are still waiting in the wings.

The evening opened with a very funny video presentation done by the understudies from Spelling Bee.  Lots of fun.  Very "Waiting for Guffman"-ish.  And then the Understudies took the spotlight.

They had Sara Ramirez's understudy from Spamalot.  Cheyenne Jackson's understudy from All Shook Up.  Etc., etc., etc.

A very fun evening, filled with some great performances - and LOTS of laughs.  I was particularly impressed with David Burnham who is Matthew Morrison's understudy in Piazza.  He sang his "aria" - truly beautiful.  *And he noted that he actually sings the song a step higher than Mr. Morrison too.

Another highlight of the evening was Seth Rudetsky's analyzation of Patti LuPone's Evita vs. Madonna's Evita.  Truly hilarious - and just too hard to explain here.  You truly had to be there.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2005, 10:57:29 PM »

Then afterwards, we headed down to Splash in The Village to meet up with some friends.  Splash - or more properly Splash Bar New York (SBNY) - is another "special interest establishment".  It was Musical Madness Monday - lots of video clips from the Tony awards and classic film musicals.  Lots of singing along!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2005, 11:00:55 PM »

...And on the way to the subway, I noticed a street vendor selling cream puffs.  The name of the business: Choux Factory.  :)  We both got chocolate.  Pretty good, but not as good as Beard Papa.  -Although, keeping pastry shells as crisp as they can be in this humidity is next to impossible, so...  Again, very good.  But now I want a Beard Papa one.  Apparently, they have a storefront in the city - I shall have to investigate further.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2005, 11:02:25 PM »

OH!!!!!!

DR elmore - THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!!!!

-I got the call.  Nothing is definite yet, but thanks for the recommendation.  -And another big thanks to Tom too!

I'll keep you posted.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2005, 11:02:58 PM »

Well... I really do want to be up and about by 9:00 tomorrow/today... so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #191 on: July 25, 2005, 11:08:04 PM »

OH!

And I went to that Understudies concert tonight too at the Ars Nova Theatre.  Fun, Fun, Fun!

<SNIP>

A very fun evening, filled with some great performances - and LOTS of laughs.  I was particularly impressed with David Burnham who is Matthew Morrison's understudy in Piazza.  He sang his "aria" - truly beautiful.  *And he noted that he actually sings the song a step higher than Mr. Morrison too.

Sounds like a fabulous evening!  How was David's accent?  I liked Matthew Morrison's voice, but his Italian accent sounded like an American speaking (singing) Italian with an American accent.  
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: July 25, 2005, 11:35:12 PM »

The Krypton scenes were shot with heavy diffusion - that's the way they've always looked.

Back from the play reading and supper.  As readings go, it went reasonably well.  I'll have more to say in the notes, which I must now write.

George

« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2005, 11:35:44 PM »

Oh my goodness!  I just realized that I have absolutely NO clean shirts to wear.  I guess it's laundry-time. ::)

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2005, 11:38:32 PM »

I'm afraid I've been errant and truant since my show opened (and closed).  Sorry about that.  Am now catching up on a week and a half's worth of notes.

divarobbie

• There's always one step further down you can go...
    • RobbieRozelle.com
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2005, 11:43:27 PM »

In the meantime, I have been designing a new website for Miss Daisy Eagan, who contacted me last week.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2005, 11:43:54 PM »

I actually think the Patrick Bergin/Uma Thurman is a very interesting Robin Hood and probably better than the Costner.  but, of course, not as good as the Flynn.

Back from BK's play reading of DECEIT which is quite a nifty little theatrical diversion and something we haven't seen in the theatre for a good while.   Enjoyed it a lot.  After a dinner with BK, Tammy Minoff, and Tammy's mom.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]   Go Up