Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Down

Author Topic: THAI GEFILTE FISH  (Read 114749 times)

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
Re:THAI GEFILTE FISH
« Reply #300 on: August 25, 2007, 04:07:17 PM »

DR Elmore, I hope your goddaughter has a great time at the theatre adn a safe journey to Ann Arbor!

All the best to her in school!
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #301 on: August 25, 2007, 04:09:41 PM »

Here is living proof that Cason, BJ, Barry Pearl and I were at Slammer! last night - I'm the one taking the photograph.  Everyone looks happy because it was before the show.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #302 on: August 25, 2007, 04:10:52 PM »

Not a great photograph, but the view from my new digs.

FJL

« Reply #303 on: August 25, 2007, 04:12:13 PM »

Isn't a slammer some sort of burger from one of the burger chains?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #304 on: August 25, 2007, 04:15:51 PM »

Why, in the French edition of Animal Farm, is the pig called Cesar?

Read on.

TIMES ONLINE

The world's strangest laws

Alex Wade

25. It is illegal for a cab in the City of London to carry rabid dogs or corpses.

24. It is illegal to die in the Houses of Parliament.

23. It is an act of treason to place a postage stamp bearing the British monarch upside down.

22. In France, it is forbidden to call a pig Napoleon.

21. Under the UK’s Tax Avoidance Schemes Regulations
2006, it is illegal not to tell the taxman anything you don’t want him to know, though you don’t have to tell him anything you don’t mind him knowing.

20. In Alabama, it is illegal for a driver to be blindfolded while driving a vehicle.

19. In Ohio, it is against state law to get a fish drunk.

18. Royal Navy ships that enter the Port of London must provide a barrel of rum to the Constable of the Tower of London.

17. In the UK, a pregnant woman can legally relieve herself anywhere she wants – even, if she so requests, in a policeman’s helmet.

16. In Lancashire, no person is permitted after being asked to stop by a constable on the seashore to incite a dog to bark.

15. In Miami, Florida, it is illegal to skateboard in a police station.

14. In Indonesia, the penalty for masturbation is decapitation.

13. In England, all men over the age of 14 must carry out two hours of longbow practice a day.

12. In London, Freemen are allowed to take a flock of sheep across London Bridge without being charged a toll; they are also allowed to drive geese down Cheapside.

11. In San Salvador, drunk drivers can be punished by death before a firing squad.

10. In the UK, a man who feels compelled to urinate in public can do so only if he aims for his rear wheel and keeps his right hand on his vehicle.

9. In Florida, unmarried women who parachute on Sundays can be jailed.

8. In Kentucky, it is illegal to carry a concealed weapon more than six-feet long.

7. In Chester, Welshmen are banned from entering the city before sunrise and from staying after sunset.

6. In the city of York, it is legal to murder a Scotsman within the ancient city walls, but only if he is carrying a bow and arrow.

5. In Boulder, Colorado, it is illegal to kill a bird within the city limits and also to “own” a pet – the town’s citizens, legally speaking, are merely “pet minders”.

4. In Vermont, women must obtain written permission from their husbands to wear false teeth.

3. In London, it is illegal to flag down a taxi if you have the plague.

2. In Bahrain, a male doctor may legally examine a woman’s genitals but is forbidden from looking directly at them during the examination; he may only see their reflection in a mirror.

1. The head of any dead whale found on the British coast is legally the property of the King; the tail, on the other hand, belongs to the Queen - in case she needs the bones for her corset.

What would Zubrick think?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #305 on: August 25, 2007, 04:19:14 PM »

Here is living proof that Cason, BJ, Barry Pearl and I were at Slammer! last night - I'm the one taking the photograph.  

I don't believe it.

This is a flimsy excuse at an alibi.

BK was IN the Slammer last night!

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #306 on: August 25, 2007, 04:22:52 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I'm about to head to a birthday party for my friends' now one-year old boy, Henry.  -I had posted pics of him and his Daddies a couple of weeks ago when we attend NYC Pride.  And then I may go head and get a head start on my own birthday festivities.  Or not.

*I really just want to take it easy this weekend.  And since it worked out that I was not scheduled to work this weekend, well...  And starting Tuesday, I'm more or less non-stop until the end of September, so...  When it rains it pours.  But that can be a good thing sometimes too. :)

OK.. Time to head out.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Tomovoz

« Reply #307 on: August 25, 2007, 04:23:25 PM »

Thank you for that information Der Brucer - I was aware of the policeman's helmut and the right hand on the vehicle laws.
(I know a couple of london Cab Drivers).

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #308 on: August 25, 2007, 04:23:42 PM »

Hmm... Do you think BJ would like to see the Reservoir?  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #309 on: August 25, 2007, 04:26:59 PM »

Some capitalists really do play fair!

Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order.  

You saved an additional $7.00 with Amazon.com's Pre-Order Price Guarantee!

The price of the item(s) decreased after you ordered them, and we gave you
the lowest price.

Remember when Amazon just started and was running radio ads about their piles of books in their garage!

der Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #310 on: August 25, 2007, 04:34:02 PM »

I'll be meeting Cason and BJ at Joe Allen in one hour.  I might take a walk prior to that.

François

« Reply #311 on: August 25, 2007, 04:37:01 PM »

Jon Faine and Tracee Hutchison with Anthony Warlow and Lisa Gerrard
774 ABC Melbourne - The Conversation Hour

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200702/r127684_418200.mp3

Tomovoz

« Reply #312 on: August 25, 2007, 04:41:36 PM »

We think there is also a Warlow interview on TV in the next week or so François. It shall be recorded. (This Monday's interview on the TV "Talking Heads" programme is with td  favourite - Renée Geyer)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

singdaw

« Reply #313 on: August 25, 2007, 04:43:13 PM »

bk, CONGRATULATIONS on the good news from Brain rehearsals and the new digs - sounds fantastic.  And thanks for the Sweeny tip!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #314 on: August 25, 2007, 04:43:46 PM »

FOODBLOG

Hickory Smoked Cherry Limeade

Juice of 2 dozen limes
1 1/2 cups simple syrup (more or less to taste)
2 cups water (more or less to taste)

Stir these together in a large pitcher with 2-3 handfuls of smoked cherries.

Hickory Smoked Cherry & Bourbon Lemonade

2 quarts lemonade (fresh or from concentrate)
1 cup triple sec or orange curacao
2-3 cups bourbon (to taste)
1 cup smoked cherries

Pour over ice. For a lighter drink, top with seltzer.

So how do you happen to come upon smoked cherries? Prolly not in your local 7-11. Seeing as I was spending 8-ish hours smoking brisket, I figured I might as well put the top racks to use. Took a couple of foil baking pans, and laid in a layer of fresh cherries in each. Two hours in the low, steady lump charcoal heat, suffused with the heady smoke of beer-soaked hickory chips left the cherries with unbelievably rich, mellow, sweet-smoked flavor. Seeing our guests repeatedly sidling over to the bowl with the extras, and plucking them from their cocktails to savor on their own makes me think I've stumbled upon something pretty distinctive. I've a notion there will be a goodly bit more experimentation as long as they're in season.

Oh - and I also tossed in a foil pan of kosher salt for about 6 hours. That smoked salt will add some delicious wood-char undertones to my next batch of . But that's a whooole other post.

Guess Miss Karen will be first in line for the margaritas!

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #315 on: August 25, 2007, 04:43:58 PM »

Singdaw MUST be MY soul sister!

:-*   :-*

;D

singdaw

« Reply #316 on: August 25, 2007, 04:44:49 PM »

Singdaw MUST be MY soul sister!

Just don't THINK about borrowing my purple rhinestone pumps.    8)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #317 on: August 25, 2007, 04:45:38 PM »

I'm watching some Hi-Def programming - looks quite good.

François

« Reply #318 on: August 25, 2007, 04:48:05 PM »

The Phantom of the Opera

Jim Murphy, Reviewer
July 30, 2007

Phantom is a show for good singing, and Anthony Warlow is wonderfully supported by gifted coloratura Ana Marina.

Address
    163 Spring St, Melbourne
    Australia
Date
    19 July 2007 to 15 November 2007
Phone Bookings
    (03) 9299 9800

When the curtain is held for 15 minutes and the director steps on stage to apologise for the virus that has afflicted the star and others in the company, a first-night audience is entitled to be apprehensive. It need not have worried.

Anthony Warlow and the splendid cast assembled for this revival, on the same stage first stalked by Warlow's Phantom 17 years ago, certainly "gave it a go", as director Arthur Masella promised they would.

Warlow had a slight dropout on one sustained note and opted for one alternative note, but otherwise there was no cause for disappointment. His exquisite falsetto in The Music of the Night was as enthralling as ever, and his strength and power when the Phantom gives vent to anger and passion was as majestic.

Warlow plays the Gothic romantic melodrama to the hilt as the disfigured composer who lurks in the bowels of the Paris Opera House.

Svengali-like, he champions the career of young singer Christine Daae, with whom, Beauty and the Beast-like, he falls in love.

Phantom is a show for good singing, and Warlow is wonderfully supported by gifted coloratura Ana Marina, dainty and vivacious as Christine, and John Bowles, who acts and sings the role of Raoul, Christine's childhood friend and suitor, with buckets of charm.

The vocal work of these three is a treat.

Good singing in a rarer discipline comes from Andrea Creighton and David Rogers-Smith, amusingly over the top as the opera's underwhelming stars, Madame Carlotta and Signor Piangi.

John O'May and Derek Taylor are excellent light relief as the new managers of the opera house, and Jackie Rees is a forbidding presence as the ballet mistress, Madame Giry.

Whatever its merits as words and music, The Phantom of the Opera is the most sumptuous theatrical spectacle. When Harold Prince directed it in London back in 1986, he gave it the full treatment.

There was no stinting on scenery and costumes, so the customers could see how virtually every cent of their ticket money had been spent.

And it's good, old-fashioned backstage artistry - not a computer graphic or projection in sight.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 04:49:18 PM by François »

François

« Reply #319 on: August 25, 2007, 04:58:19 PM »

Photos of the new Oz Production of Phantom OTO:

http://bp0.blogger.com/_IjaAu0pUUJI/RspTawsBq4I/AAAAAAAAALc/s7tok1Zf7Ic/s1600-h/Masquerade.jpg

http://bp0.blogger.com/_IjaAu0pUUJI/RspORwsBq3I/AAAAAAAAALU/MNuzeQRN9I0/s1600-h/Phantom.jpg

The Morning After: Performing arts in Australia

Saturday, July 28, 2007

Me and Federici: The Phantom of the Opera

I read in today's Herald Sun that the best seat in the house at The Princess Theatre is Stalls Row H, Seat 19. Well, dear reader, I'll let you know who's in that seat... cos they'll have to climb over me to get there.

Tonight, dear reader, I am in The Zone. :)

It's almost twenty years since I first saw Phantom. It was the second or third performance at the Majestic Theatre on West 44th, a year after the London opening. The Broadway production poached the three original stars: Crawford, Brightman and Texan Steve Barton... still the best Raoul I've ever seen. (There have been another 8000 performances since in that theatre alone!)

That night, I had a seat in Row AA. Absolute front row of the "Orchestra". Cos of the configuration of the pit, I was actually closer to the stage than the conductor... But more of this later! Time to hit the road!

The hottest tickets of the year await!

Here's an edit of the review that ran in Monday's Herald Sun.

The Australian production of Phantom of the Opera -- the tenth in the world -- ran like clockwork when it opened in the haunted, beautiful Pricess Theatre in 1990. We were gobsmacked by costumes, awed by the lake scenes and the scene changes, touched by the music... but don't try telling me we were ever scared of the chandelier!

Revisiting the show, "shock of the old" has replaced "shock of the new." Phantom's stagecraft is still excellent, still impressive, but it's no longer an end in itself. That allows us to focus on the opus. It's easier to follow the musical themes, to follow the music box chimes through the pageant of the masked ball at the start of the second act to the final, plaintive "Christine, I love you."

It's easier, too, to delight in Lloyd Webber's impish sense of fun (the mock ballet music) and real skill with discord (the whole Don Juan Triumphant opera-within-an-opera thing).

But familiarity is a twin-edged sword. It makes us ultra demanding. Ultra critical. We want voices to match -- or beat -- the original cast recording. (We get them.) We want drama. Emotional truth. We want to be touched.

For most of the night this Phantom is merely perfect...

And that's where this show surprised me. Thrilled me. For most of the night, it's merely perfect. Ana Marina has an exceptionally full-bodied voice. The ageless John Bowles makes a good Raoul. With a serious does of the flu, Anthony Warlow is still a booming, overwhelming presence. Even the minor characters (like Nadia Komazec's Meg Giry) have stellar voices.

In fact, it's all a little bit too perfect. I kept wishing for a mistake in the pit to remind us that the music is played live. (Bowles provided the excitement of the night by jumping in with the right line at the wrong time! Warlow and conductor Vanessa Scammell coped admirably.)

But the final scene is like nothing I've witnessed before in a music drama. If you've seen Anthony Warlow, you know what a superb actor he is: his mighty Enjolras in Les Mis (a performance which made it onto the international cast recording), his charismatic Papageno in Mozart's The Magic Flute, his show-saving Archibald in The Secret Garden, the list is long. But, here, he supercharges the final stand-off. He is the tortured tyrant, willing to do anything to get the girl.

If the rest of the cast follow Warlow down this path, if they look for the dramatic monster behind the musical mask, if they treat Phantom as an operatic passion play not just a naff old musical, then it might live again for years, not just months.

Tomovoz

« Reply #320 on: August 25, 2007, 04:59:53 PM »

I'd not heard that David Rogers-Smith was in the PotO François. We saw him in "Putting It Together" (or maybe it was "Marry Me A Little")  about four years ago. We enjoyed his performance.
James Thurber 1957

singdaw

« Reply #321 on: August 25, 2007, 05:01:06 PM »

Thanks so much for all the information today, DR François!   :)

Tomovoz

« Reply #322 on: August 25, 2007, 05:03:26 PM »

François is a Brazil nut.
James Thurber 1957

singdaw

« Reply #323 on: August 25, 2007, 05:03:55 PM »

Using DR George's helpful info from yesterday, I have saved the Sweeny vids to my hard drive.  Ain't the Internet grand?

François

« Reply #324 on: August 25, 2007, 05:04:08 PM »

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/

Anthony Warlow from behind the mask

By Brett Debritz

August 26, 2007 12:00am..........PRETTY RECENT STUFF, HEY?!!!!

ANTHONY Warlow is amused when Queenslanders tell him how much they are looking forward to see him reprise the title role in The Phantom of the Opera.
"When I was up here with Pirates of Penzance recently, I came out of the stage door and people said, 'Oh we can't wait to see you again. We saw you in '97.'

"I said, 'No you didn't.' "

The fact is that Brisbane audiences saw Rob Guest as the Phantom when the Andrew Lloyd Webber musical played a record-breaking 23-week run at the QPAC Lyric Theatre a decade ago.

Warlow quit the show 12 months after it opened in Melbourne in 1990, and two years later he was forced to pull out of a production of Jesus Christ Superstar when he was diagnosed with cancer.

Now, Warlow is fighting fit and has reclaimed the lead role in a new production of Phantom of the Opera, which opened in Melbourne last month and will play a three-month season in Brisbane early next year.

He says he decided to return to the character partly for the sake of his 12-year-old daughter, Phoebe, who had seen the film version of Phantom – with Gerard Butler, of 300 fame, in the title role – but not the stage show.

"I wanted Phoebe to see it," he says. "And, being her father, I wanted her to see me do it."

Although Warlow says his return was "a bit like riding a bike". He feels he can give much more of himself to the show now than he could 17 years ago.

"The instincts are the same but the vocal and physical investment is so much more," he says.

"Maybe it's my age now. I'm 45 and there's a gravity to this performance now; there's a sexuality that can only come with age.

"I'm more confident with it. It is mine now. I feel so much more involved.

"When we did it originally, that wasn't the case. I wasn't allowed to feel involved because of the way it was meant to be set."

Warlow says the first Australian Phantom was very much set to a template established in the original London production, which is still running to capacity houses after 20 years.

He was not encouraged to innovate beyond the benchmark established by Michael Crawford.

"I have to say in the early days it was a little like Disney – you throw on a couple of costumes, then they throw you on," Warlow says.

"Sometimes I felt like I was on roller skates. You'd be pushed on, do your bit and you'd be off again.

"I'm a very gregarious person and I do not like to be shut away and then pulled out to do my bit and then be pushed back into the box."

This time around, he says, from the very first day of rehearsal, it was "buoyant and fun" – albeit a lot of hard work.

But the opening night at Melbourne's Princess Theatre on July 28 was not without drama behind the scenes.

Along with five other cast members, Warlow had succumbed to the flu and his big moment almost didn't arrive at the appointed time.

"I was crook as a dog," he recalls. "I woke up on the Saturday morning and I literally couldn't get out of bed.

"I rang the producers and said, 'I can't even drive myself to the doctor'.

"I couldn't feel my feet in the morning when I fell out of bed – it was like the circulation had gone. It was bizarre. I was in the shower and had the hot water going to try to get the circulation going.

"We went to a couple of ear-nose-throat specialists and they said, 'Look, the chords are not damaged. They're not healthy because they've got a virus around them, but if you feel that you can do this, it won't do you any damage.' That was my big fear.

"So I went home, had a bit of a sleep, woke up and the voice seemed to be there. It was a bit fluffy but the notes were there. When I got to the theatre, it was 6.30pm and the voice was splitting.

"So I rang the producer, John Frost, and said, 'I can't do tonight'. My body was saying: you can't do this.

"Then there was a wonderful moment when the American director, Artie Masella, who is a great director and friend, came into the room and said, 'Anthony, there are two things we can do; you can go home, although the audience will be disappointed, get well and come back when you can do it. Or in your inimitable spirit, you can get out there and give it a go'. "

Along with the other sick cast members, Warlow decided the show must go on – and the result was a sustained standing ovation.

The prolonged applause has continued night after night since, and the feedback confirms that audiences have really taken to the character of the Phantom – a disfigured genius named Erik who falls in love with his young singing student Christine, loses her to his dashing rival Raoul, and then wreaks havoc in the theatre.

"It's spoilt us," Warlow says of the standing ovations, "but in a lovely way.

"We work very hard, so that three minutes at the end of the night, when you know the audience has been with you from the word go, is palpable.

"I want people to think that, as much as Raoul's a lovely fellow, there's so much more that Erik could give her. People have said to me that they don't understand why she goes off with Raoul."

Despite all the theatrical gimmicks and the undeniable spectacle of Phantom when the show is in full flight, Warlow sees it as a simple but powerful love story played in an intimate way.

He says the trick for him is to win over the audience – at least to a certain point in the show – with the Phantom's stage antics.

"It's a very complex beast, as is he," he says both of the show and his character.

"The persona of the Phantom is that he can not only play with the elements on stage physically, which he does – he murders people – but he's playful as well, in a sinister manner. I think the audience picks that up."

The only thing Warlow hasn't achieved in the theatre is to open in a new big musical written especially for him. And he confirms that he and John Frost are discussing the possibility of doing just that after his run in Phantom finishes at the end of next year.

But for now he's concentrating on staying well and doing the job at hand.

"I've been almost to the other side and I've been given the greatest gift, which is a second chance at life, and I embrace it."

« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 05:04:44 PM by François »

Tomovoz

« Reply #325 on: August 25, 2007, 05:05:06 PM »

Magnus & Fosca want to wish DR's Jose and JRand a Happy Birthday NOW.  (I'm not having much success explaining international date lines and such).
James Thurber 1957

François

« Reply #326 on: August 25, 2007, 05:05:27 PM »

François is a Brazil nut.

And you cracked me up!! :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #327 on: August 25, 2007, 05:07:22 PM »

BJ shore is TALL!!!

DR FRANCOIS thanks for the Miss Annette Golden Horseshoe photo last night, I hadn't seen it color for many years....only black and white!!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

François

« Reply #328 on: August 25, 2007, 05:07:24 PM »

Thanks so much for all the information today, DR François!   :)

As DR George often says: "we aim to please", or something to that effect!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #329 on: August 25, 2007, 05:07:37 PM »

Lovely photo from MR BK's new abode.......
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 19   Go Up