Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: TIMELINES  (Read 5813 times)

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
Re: TIMELINES
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2019, 05:11:03 AM »

Thank you, Jane, George and TCB for some excellent suggestions. I will start my hunt later today.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2019, 05:11:12 AM »

Two!
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2019, 05:20:23 AM »

My summer stock history (and memory) is hit and miss. My earliest exposures to it would be Kenley Players in Ohio. Off the top of my head I don’t recall anything from my Florida years except actual regional theatre, as opposed to anything I would call summer stock, though I’m sure it was there. In the outskirts of Cleveland there was Music Carnival which might actually have been the name of a venue for Kenley. In L.A. I was at the Valley Music Theater a couple of times, but only for entertainment such as Don Rickles and the like. My first several years here in Connecticut we had a still thriving summer stock classic, Candlewood Playhouse, which I’m sad to say slowly died due to change of ownership and developer/real estate pressures. It was bulldozed twenty years ago, and people are still talking about how it is missed.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 05:46:05 AM by ChasSmith »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2019, 05:41:19 AM »

Good morning, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2019, 05:43:19 AM »

The alarm worked fine this morning.  I slept poorly last night, so, after I fed the cats at 6:45, I slept in this morning.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2019, 05:46:56 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2019, 05:49:32 AM »

Today I am taking my Birding Buddy for a drive. She was very ill a year ago with a respiratory infection and is still recovering. We have not had been able to go out all season. But today we are going for a long drive and will spend some time at a nice park. We should see some wildflowers with all the rain we have had this season.

ChasSmith

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2019, 05:50:23 AM »

DR Laura, in our case, Poe couldn’t care less about a damn liver. He wants the turkey.

Laura

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2019, 05:52:55 AM »

Yes, Rex always wants the liver. After that he wants white meat. No dark -- white meat.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2019, 06:01:44 AM »

DR Jeanne, this apartment is too small a space for a dog, although my long-gone awful Canadian neighbor who lived above me in the very same space as mine had that beautiful little boxer who barked the entire week of April 2009 that he was away.  My concern is, if I adopt Scooter to save his life, can I find someone who will take him and give him a good life?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2019, 06:17:55 AM »

Last night, DR Druxy posted:
But, with all due respect, please don't post about these poor animals that are being murdered.
There is nothing that any of us can really do about it, and hearing about these upcoming murders just makes people feel like shit!

It may make you feel like shit, but that was never my intention.  My goals are to express my outrage over the situation and to make people want to protect these poor animals.  There are things that can be done, but you fortunately live in Austin, which has a no-kill shelter that should be a model for all:
https://njanimalobserver.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/austin-attains-amazing-live-release-rates-in-2018/?fbclid=IwAR08UPs5VF4LZlZBN4SxDvCImA4icIF_wZVjTzR4EIvQE-x-ds1xAPdCwag

There is also CAPA (Companion Animal Protection Act) that should be promoted:
https://www.nokilladvocacycenter.org/companion-animal-protection-act.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 06:49:42 AM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2019, 06:23:26 AM »

Annabelle is bugging me about our patrol. Time to move.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2019, 06:48:23 AM »

Dishes washed, litter cleaned, bed made, and patrol over.  Annabelle seems very happy now, but Thatch keeps yammering at me.  I think he's giving me hell about not going on patrol with Annabelle.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2019, 07:52:25 AM »

Monday.....cleaning done....shopping completed.....now it is time to be on the inner web.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2019, 07:56:25 AM »

Because my dance teacher Mrs. Garrison supplied kids if needed for the Starlight Musicals, I got to appear in Summer Stock a couple of times....

GYPSY with Giselle MacKenzie - who was the BEST Madame Rose ever.....she was beautiful, always smelled like expensive perfume, and had dachshunds on a leash everywhere she went.

SHOWBOAT with Van Johnson who was mean.

MUSIC MAN with Ken Berry who was there with his wife Jackie Joseph, they were both very nice.

AND at the venue I saw.....Dorothy Collins in MY FAIR LADY....she was B I G, the Mitzi Gaynor Revue, a very hard worker and very funny, The Jack Benny Show, also very funny, Liberace.....eh.....Jane Powell & Howard Keel in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers.....and Carroll Baker in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.....

I liked all the things I saw.....but I think GYPSY was my favorite....
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2019, 08:00:28 AM »

Jane, the Nook book is available, speaking of reading.

Exciting.  I will get it today but will have to wait to read it until I have caught up on my library books and book discussion read.  I will delay new books from automatically checking out from the library.

Jane

« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2019, 08:05:38 AM »

Today I am taking my Birding Buddy for a drive. She was very ill a year ago with a respiratory infection and is still recovering. We have not had been able to go out all season. But today we are going for a long drive and will spend some time at a nice park. We should see some wildflowers with all the rain we have had this season.

I didn't realize she is STILL recovering.  I know you  will both enjoy the ride.

Jane

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2019, 08:08:12 AM »

DR TCB what happened with the condo?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2019, 09:19:04 AM »

I'm up, I'm up - maybe seven hours of sleep.

KevinH

« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2019, 09:24:31 AM »

Good morning !

KevinH

« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2019, 09:26:02 AM »

TCB:  to answer your question, I'm leaving today.  I'll be going to the airport in about an hour and a half. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2019, 10:07:19 AM »

I am on a rampage with the publisher right now.  I've gone straight to the top of the food chain.

John G.

« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2019, 10:47:17 AM »

TOD:

My summer stock years were when I lived in upstate New York. The closest theater to me was the MacHayden theater in the round, where Stephen Cole and Monica Wemitt (the Hello, Dolly! BK recorded) did shows. Saw forgotten musicals like Over Here and Naughty Marietta along with The Fantasticks, Gypsy and A Chorus Line, done with the cleaned up lyrics of “this and that.”

In the Berkshires, I saw Barbara Barrie, Barbara Baxley and John McMartin in A Little Night Music. I sat next to Ron Rifkin and across the aisle from Helen Hayes for Marge Champion’s production of Stepping Out. Juliet Mills was in The Chalk Garden

Down in Woodstock, Joanne Woodward starred in The Seagull. Melissa Manchester was in Love Me or Leave Me.

And one summer, Brooke Adams and her sister, Lynne, presented a series of world premieres, including a musical from Jamie Donnelly and Danny Troob called All Bets Off.

Then there was a theater in New Paltz that only lasted asummer because the barn burned down. Bill Murray, Stockard Channing, Brian Doyle Murray and more in Brecht’s Man Is Man.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 10:53:17 AM by John G. »
― Voltaire

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #53 on: March 18, 2019, 10:48:12 AM »

Because my dance teacher Mrs. Garrison supplied kids if needed for the Starlight Musicals, I got to appear in Summer Stock a couple of times....

GYPSY with Giselle MacKenzie - who was the BEST Madame Rose ever.....she was beautiful, always smelled like expensive perfume, and had dachshunds on a leash everywhere she went.

SHOWBOAT with Van Johnson who was mean.

MUSIC MAN with Ken Berry who was there with his wife Jackie Joseph, they were both very nice.

AND at the venue I saw.....Dorothy Collins in MY FAIR LADY....she was B I G, the Mitzi Gaynor Revue, a very hard worker and very funny, The Jack Benny Show, also very funny, Liberace.....eh.....Jane Powell & Howard Keel in 7 Brides for 7 Brothers.....and Carroll Baker in Gentlemen Prefer Blondes.....

I liked all the things I saw.....but I think GYPSY was my favorite....

I saw Jack Benny in Seattle when I was a kid.  He had Sammy Davis Jr. and Giselle MacKenzie in his show.  I got to know Sammy years later when we were both film collectors.

Howard Keel, of course, was my publicity client  for 10 years.  On stage, with Jane Powell, I saw him do SOUTH PACIFIC and I DO! I DO!, plus I also saw him in MAN OF LA MANCHA.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #54 on: March 18, 2019, 10:53:18 AM »

But, with all due respect, please don't post about these poor animals that are being murdered.
There is nothing that any of us can really do about it, and hearing about these upcoming murders just makes people feel like shit!

It may make you feel like shit, but that was never my intention.  My goals are to express my outrage over the situation and to make people want to protect these poor animals.  There are things that can be done, but you fortunately live in Austin, which has a no-kill shelter that should be a model for all:
https://njanimalobserver.wordpress.com/2019/03/05/austin-attains-amazing-live-release-rates-in-2018/?fbclid=IwAR08UPs5VF4LZlZBN4SxDvCImA4icIF_wZVjTzR4EIvQE-x-ds1xAPdCwag

In my adult life, all of my dogs and cats have been "rescues" of one kind of another.

I would like to save them all, but that's impossible.

I am grateful that Austin is a "no kill" city.

And, I still believe that people who work in other cities at "Kill" shelters are sick f--ks and they should burn in Hell.
You can dream…or you can do.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #55 on: March 18, 2019, 11:46:50 AM »

I am on a rampage with the publisher right now.  I've gone straight to the top of the food chain.

Give 'em hell, Harry...as usual! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ChasSmith

« Reply #56 on: March 18, 2019, 11:58:32 AM »

In my adult life, all of my dogs and cats have been "rescues" of one kind of another.

I would like to save them all, but that's impossible.

I am grateful that Austin is a "no kill" city.

And, I still believe that people who work in other cities at "Kill" shelters are sick f--ks and they should burn in Hell.

Agree. They just aren't going to their eternal reward fast enough for my taste.

I adopted my first two cats as tiny kittens from North Shore Animal League on Long Island. Thereafter, every cat to enter this household has literally been a rescue that came to us through one channel or another. Was that ever a conscious decision that we made? No, it actually wasn't, but I'm so glad to have developed my awareness and good sense of this, and I have that to be thankful for every time I look at these sweet faithful friends. I'll never have it any other way, no matter the type of animal.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 12:06:44 PM by ChasSmith »

ChasSmith

« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2019, 12:02:55 PM »

DR John G., that's a nice collection of summer stock memories.

But I'm shocked, shocked, to hear about "this and that". This was a cast of adults, right?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2019, 12:27:30 PM »

Good afternoon.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2019, 12:27:56 PM »

Travel vibes to DR Kevin!