Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN  (Read 15806 times)

Jennifer

Re: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN
« Reply #120 on: July 02, 2009, 12:32:21 PM »

Btw, is anyone still watching SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?

My favorite couple is still ade and melissa. And wow last night they were incredible. I wonder how random it was that they got that dance?

I don't like most of the pairings. Can't wait till they rotate partners.

Ginny

« Reply #121 on: July 02, 2009, 12:35:02 PM »

Ah, that's better:

Playbill on Harve Presnell
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #122 on: July 02, 2009, 12:38:07 PM »

Druxy, regards your enquiry yesterday about how my move from LA was...It's been similar to yours.  Fortunately, I had several old friends here...and several theatre connections, so that helped.

But what I missed and still miss most are people...not places, particularly.  We had a large coterie of  good, long-term friends of all age ranges.  I certainly miss my meals with BK at Musso and Frank, Birds, House of Pies, and Langers.

I miss a lot of my bookstores and Amoeba and, again, Langers' pastrami.  I'm beginning to miss the weather.  After ice storms and too much rain and humidity,  I'd prefer the bland consistency of LA weather.  There is also a perspective you get from having lived in a major world city like LA that is sometimes hard to translate to anyone who has spent most of their life in a very insular environment.

I'm still not sure whatever angst I have has to do with moving or just growing older.  I really hate getting older...A lot of it has to do with all my cultural references and touchstones veering to the peripherary of illrevelancy. Growing up the way we did...with just one or two TVs in the house, only three or four channels and you watched as a family, when top 40 radio could not only include rock records but even Broadway and country cross-overs, there was more interaction between the generations and so cultural lives intermingled too.  The grandparent, parents, and kids all knew and liked Bob Hope or Jack Benny.  Don't get that anymore.   I can look in a National Enquirer these days and not recognize any of the supposed "stars" and "celebrities".  The internet is also changing so much of the way we communicate and do business.  I watch bookstores and CD stores dying and other shops...But I'm rambling...

But we adjust; we adjust...and find new comforts.

You, at least, went back to a place that you knew.  Texas is totally new for me.

And, talk about not knowing people in the National Enquirer.

I'm so often blown away when I mention a name like Clark Gable or Humphrey Bogart and the person I'm talking to gives me a blank stare.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: July 02, 2009, 12:39:30 PM »

Well... Just been catching up on and verifying some various bits of gossip...

I guess it was a relief to find out that both Will and Audra have gone through (their respective) divorces sometime during the past couple of months.  Meh!

I told you!

My next question is, how does the Mormon church look upon divorce? They clearly don't like the idea of gay marriage so how will they look upon this smudge on their idea of family values?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:20:38 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #124 on: July 02, 2009, 12:43:16 PM »

I believe the Mormons allow divorce. Especially if one divorces a non-Mormon spouse in favor of a Mormon.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #125 on: July 02, 2009, 01:18:15 PM »

I likewise got SHOW GIRL today. Alas, won't be able to listen to it until tomorrow, but it's here, and I'm excited.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #126 on: July 02, 2009, 01:20:29 PM »

Druxy, regards your enquiry yesterday about how my move from LA was...It's been similar to yours.  Fortunately, I had several old friends here...and several theatre connections, so that helped.

But what I missed and still miss most are people...not places, particularly.  We had a large coterie of  good, long-term friends of all age ranges.  I certainly miss my meals with BK at Musso and Frank, Birds, House of Pies, and Langers.

I miss a lot of my bookstores and Amoeba and, again, Langers' pastrami.  I'm beginning to miss the weather.  After ice storms and too much rain and humidity,  I'd prefer the bland consistency of LA weather.  There is also a perspective you get from having lived in a major world city like LA that is sometimes hard to translate to anyone who has spent most of their life in a very insular environment.

I'm still not sure whatever angst I have has to do with moving or just growing older.  I really hate getting older...A lot of it has to do with all my cultural references and touchstones veering to the peripherary of illrevelancy. Growing up the way we did...with just one or two TVs in the house, only three or four channels and you watched as a family, when top 40 radio could not only include rock records but even Broadway and country cross-overs, there was more interaction between the generations and so cultural lives intermingled too.  The grandparent, parents, and kids all knew and liked Bob Hope or Jack Benny.  Don't get that anymore.   I can look in a National Enquirer these days and not recognize any of the supposed "stars" and "celebrities".  The internet is also changing so much of the way we communicate and do business.  I watch bookstores and CD stores dying and other shops...But I'm rambling...

You, at least, went back to a place that you knew.  Texas is totally new for me.

I'm so often blown away when I mention a name like Clark Gable or Humphrey Bogart and the person I'm talking to gives me a blank stare.

Boy, do I know that feeling!  I was once giving a talk to a college theatre class, rattling off all the people I had worked with in dinner theatre:  "Shelley Berman, Nancy Kulp, Cyd Charisse, Don DeFore, Yvonne DeCarlo..." and I glanced up into these blank,uncomprehending faces, realized how much time had passed (whereas I always think of it as yesterday) and finished with "...and a lot of other people you never heard of."

When I occasionally teach a screenwriting course, I show a lot of clips from ol movies, mostly black and white,  and I  have to realize that when I was seeing these films, they were only twenty or thirty years old...add on another 20-40 now.  Even many of my own films were made before these kids were born.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: July 02, 2009, 01:20:44 PM »

Had a nice lunch and ate inside. It was just too hot to consider sitting outside today.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: July 02, 2009, 01:22:27 PM »

It was an early lunch, too, so when I got back home, I had time to skim through yesterday's THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Nada of interest.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: July 02, 2009, 01:25:12 PM »

Then I watched STREET FIGHTER: THE LEGEND OF CHUN-LI.

It isn't necessarily true that a film based on a videogame has to be awful. LARA CROFT: TOMB RAIDER wasn't CITIZEN KANE, but she was given some INDIANA JONES-like adventures that at least held my attention.

CHUN LI is a young pianist who's also a martial arts fighter, and in trying to first find her father and then bring down the man who abducted and later killed him, she simply engages in one fight after another with the various members of the gang he sends to thwart her.

Tedious? Good lord, yes!

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: July 02, 2009, 01:26:15 PM »

The Blu-ray picture wasn't stunning. Sound was better but erratic at when surrounds would kick in (no pun intended) throughout the movie.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #131 on: July 02, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »

I guess it was a relief to find out that both Will and Audra have gone through (their respective) divorces sometime during the past couple of months.  Meh!

I told you!

My next question is, how does the Mormon church look upon divorce? They clearly don't like the idea of gay marriage so how will they look upon this smudge on their idea of family values?

Who is/are Mormon?
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matt H.

« Reply #132 on: July 02, 2009, 01:27:18 PM »

The bonus featurettes were really a bunch of puff pieces about how hard everyone worked to train for the film and how great everyone was, and what a good time they all in Thailand making the movie.

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: July 02, 2009, 01:28:30 PM »

Then I skimmed through today's episode of THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS. Still nothing of interest.

Matt H.

« Reply #134 on: July 02, 2009, 01:29:58 PM »

I was mad with myself that I didn't record yesterday's ONE LIFE TO LIVE. I thought I had set it to record every day, but I guess I hit the wrong button. Anyway, I reset that today and it recorded it. Nothing of interest today, but there was some stuff of interest yesterday, so I set the DVR to record the WEdnesday episode when Soapnet recaps it this weekend. I'll see it some time this week.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #135 on: July 02, 2009, 02:00:57 PM »

I told you!

Who is/are Mormon?

Virtually everyone I grew up with.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #136 on: July 02, 2009, 02:03:58 PM »

I've finished my afternoon internet surfing and must now settle down to write. So, I'll hop off-line for the moment.

WBBL.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #137 on: July 02, 2009, 02:42:41 PM »

Boy, do I know that feeling!  I was once giving a talk to a college theatre class, rattling off all the people I had worked with in dinner theatre:  "Shelley Berman, Nancy Kulp, Cyd Charisse, Don DeFore, Yvonne DeCarlo..." and I glanced up into these blank,uncomprehending faces, realized how much time had passed (whereas I always think of it as yesterday) and finished with "...and a lot of other people you never heard of."

When I occasionally teach a screenwriting course, I show a lot of clips from ol movies, mostly black and white,  and I  have to realize that when I was seeing these films, they were only twenty or thirty years old...add on another 20-40 now.  Even many of my own films were made before these kids were born.

What really gets me is when you're talking to a proclaimed movie buff and they don't know these names.

A few years ago, I was talking to some USC Cinema students.  They'd never heard of Spencer Tracy...and none of them had seen GONE WITH THE WIND, CASABLANCA or CITIZEN KANE.

So, what are they teaching these guys in film school?
You can dream…or you can do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:18 PM »

They're teaching them about cinema classics like There Will Be Blood and No Country For Good Men, two films that, years from now, people will scratch their heads about wondering just what it was that was so "great" about them.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #139 on: July 02, 2009, 03:00:47 PM »

Marie Osmond has certainly been deevorced - a few times.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #140 on: July 02, 2009, 03:16:26 PM »

I'm back from last night's performance of "R&J" (I've been home for about an hour) and we had a great audience!  There were about 40 or so people, our largest audience...and it was a Wednesday!  The show was about 3 hours and 10 minutes, but the audience was with us the whole way.  Hopefully, we'll get audiences like this for the rest of the run. :D

:D

Jane

« Reply #141 on: July 02, 2009, 03:34:20 PM »

We made it through Act I last night with a full crew and scene changes.  This is probably the most mammoth production I've done.  Absolutely huge sets which recreate the original Broadway look, down the to the "white" office at the top of Act II.

My pit band will be 7 players, plus the pre-records for all the big production numbers, which basically recreate the original orchestrations.

Best wishes for a fantastic show!!!

Jane

« Reply #142 on: July 02, 2009, 03:42:53 PM »

You might know that DR JOSE would make friends with the guy who drives an ice cream truck.

;D

Jane

« Reply #143 on: July 02, 2009, 03:50:53 PM »

And speaking of Disco!

Wow! Good thing she knew the song. 

Jane

« Reply #144 on: July 02, 2009, 03:51:51 PM »

Well, the good news is that we have a date scheduled for an orchestra reading of Life Begins At 8:40 at the Library of Congress! Hooray.

Congrats!  Hope it goes well!

DITTO!

Jane

« Reply #145 on: July 02, 2009, 03:57:09 PM »

DR JMK I like your Forrest Tucker story, and also DR Laura's Megan & Sandra story.

Kerry

« Reply #146 on: July 02, 2009, 04:05:10 PM »

Interesting that none of the songs from "Saturday Night Live" (including "Staying Alive") was on the lists of favorite disco songs.  And yet, the album sold more copies than any other for years!
I like boat races.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #147 on: July 02, 2009, 04:13:59 PM »

Michael,

The ignorance of supposed film students and people who want to make film their career has long been something I've railed about.  I insist that one needs to know the legacy of the business they want to pursue.  It's one of the reasons I'm no longer in Hollywood;  I couldn't stand to be around people who thought film began with STAR WARS and kept wanting to make the bad TV shows they watched in their youth...Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, etc.

Kerry

« Reply #148 on: July 02, 2009, 04:38:16 PM »

Well said!!!!
I like boat races.

Michael

« Reply #149 on: July 02, 2009, 04:46:06 PM »

The wonderful actor who played the lover of the murder victim in this week's THE CLOSER is Barrett Foa. He was really special in the part and very, very appealing.

He was also the BK produced cast album of Godspell. I am not at home to check but I think he played Jesus.

And DR Jose beat me to it
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 04:52:33 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up