Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN  (Read 15804 times)

Ben

Re: HERBIE AND LEADVILLE JOHNNY BROWN
« Reply #150 on: July 02, 2009, 04:50:22 PM »

The ignorance of supposed film students and people who want to make film their career has long been something I've railed about.  I insist that one needs to know the legacy of the business they want to pursue.  It's one of the reasons I'm no longer in Hollywood;  I couldn't stand to be around people who thought film began with STAR WARS and kept wanting to make the bad TV shows they watched in their youth...Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, etc.

The same is true of musical theatre folk who think musicals began with Cats or Phantom and dismiss (or don't know of anything) before 1982, Brits included. When Blood Brothers tops poll after poll in England for Best Musical (or Les Miz and the like) it makes me sad. Ivor Novello was never that well known in this country but he was still a major influence in British musical theatre history and even many of my Brit friends don't know who he was. And over here, forget about Victor Herbert and Irving Ceasar and the 1920s composers who are not Gerswin or Porter or Berlin.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: July 02, 2009, 04:54:43 PM »

Kids today - I gotta tell you.  Why when I was that age, all I wanted to know about was the older stuff because I knew it was important and also excellent, which is why I never missed the Million Dollar Movie or The Late Show or The Early Show -

Michael

« Reply #152 on: July 02, 2009, 04:54:45 PM »

Just finished scene one of my new play. Gave it to the actor who will be workshopping it with me. He loved it.

The play is being written for someone well known to this site. And I say no more.
Never stop dreaming.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #153 on: July 02, 2009, 04:55:27 PM »

Michael,

The ignorance of supposed film students and people who want to make film their career has long been something I've railed about.  I insist that one needs to know the legacy of the business they want to pursue.  It's one of the reasons I'm no longer in Hollywood;  I couldn't stand to be around people who thought film began with STAR WARS and kept wanting to make the bad TV shows they watched in their youth...Scooby Doo, Josie and the Pussycats, etc.

My handyman, who is in his late 20s and considers himself to be knowledgeable about film, was over at my house the other day and I was showing him my signed/numbered Hirschfeld's that we had just hung on the walls.

He thought that Clark Gable was Humphrey Bogart.

:(
You can dream…or you can do.

Michael

« Reply #154 on: July 02, 2009, 04:58:13 PM »

Kids today - I gotta tell you.  Why when I was that age, all I wanted to know about was the older stuff because I knew it was important and also excellent, which is why I never missed the Million Dollar Movie or The Late Show or The Early Show -

That's how I got to know and see so many movies from Hollywood's Golden era. Films good and bad. It is a shame when you can't even reference something from the early 80's. A co-worker likes to remind me that he was born in 1985.

I would like to slap him silly. But he lifts weights and he would hurt me if I did :-)
Never stop dreaming.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #155 on: July 02, 2009, 05:00:56 PM »

There has not been one movie that has come out yet this year or, for that matter, has been announced for later this year, that I care to go to a theater to see.  Certainly I'll see many of them, but I'll wait for the DVDs to come out.

It's sad, because I really enjoy good movies.

Why don't they make good movies any more?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #156 on: July 02, 2009, 05:08:25 PM »

The first musical I ever saw was OKLAHOMA!  It was the road company; don't remember the cast, but it played Seattle in the very early 1950s at the Metropolitan Theater.

The Met was torn down over 50 years ago.  It was part of the Olympic Hotel which, I assume, is still standing.

Oh yes, it is still standing and quite beautiful.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #157 on: July 02, 2009, 05:13:45 PM »

The first musical I ever saw was a junior high school production of KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY. The first professional production was the national tour of CAMELOT, with Arthur Treacher, Kathryn Grayson and Louis Hayward, the next was national tour  THE SOUND OF MUSIC with Barbara Meister, a friend of my friend Bruce Pomahac, and the next the national tour of HELLO DOLLY! with Mary Martin and Carlton Carpenter.

By that time I was in college; when I discovered the bus route from Oxford to Cincinnati, I started skipping classes on Wednesday to catch matinees at the Shubert Theatre. I can't remember now if the first was the national tour of the Lincoln Center CAROUSEL with John Raitt or CABARET with Signe Hasso.

I thought it was MATA HARI with John Wilkes Booth.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #158 on: July 02, 2009, 05:20:19 PM »

I actually prefer KILL BILL Part 2 to Part 1. Part 1 is so frenzied, and Part 2 has all those payoffs, and I found several sequences very involving and the tension really terrific in places.

The Blu-rays of both were among my favorite Blu-ray transfers last year.

I actaully prefer never seeing either part of KILL BILL again!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #159 on: July 02, 2009, 05:27:45 PM »

For those who may be interested in such DVDs:

Season 3 of Route 66 (vol 1) releases July 21s. Vol. 2 releases in August

Vol. 1 of THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW releases July 28.

THE PATTY DUKE SHOW complete 1st season releases on Sept. 29

And the releases I am most excited about are the Toho films THE H-MAN, MOTHRA, and BATTLE IN OUTER SPACE, all coming to DVD on Aug. 18th.

I think I will wait and read the reviews of the quality of THE JUDY GARLAND SHOW before I order it.
“One thing’s universal,

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #160 on: July 02, 2009, 05:41:09 PM »

The first musical I ever saw was a junior high school production of KNICKERBOCKER HOLIDAY. The first professional production was the national tour of CAMELOT, with Arthur Treacher, Kathryn Grayson and Louis Hayward, the next was national tour  THE SOUND OF MUSIC with Barbara Meister, a friend of my friend Bruce Pomahac, and the next the national tour of HELLO DOLLY! with Mary Martin and Carlton Carpenter.

By that time I was in college; when I discovered the bus route from Oxford to Cincinnati, I started skipping classes on Wednesday to catch matinees at the Shubert Theatre. I can't remember now if the first was the national tour of the Lincoln Center CAROUSEL with John Raitt or CABARET with Signe Hasso.

I caught that production of CAMELOT w/Grayson, Hayward & Treacher also in Seattle.  I don't recall the theater.  CABARET w/Signe Hasso, I saw in Los Angeles at the Music Center.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #161 on: July 02, 2009, 05:53:34 PM »

Our (former) very own Rodzinski has his next Leading Man column up at Playbill.com.  FJL's Skip has a mention in the last paragraph on the second page! :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #162 on: July 02, 2009, 05:55:52 PM »

And on that note (F-natural), I'm off to the theater.  Have a good evening, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #163 on: July 02, 2009, 06:15:44 PM »

Thank you DR George.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #164 on: July 02, 2009, 06:16:56 PM »

T.O.D.

The first stage musical I ever saw was either THE RED MILL or SONG OF NORWAY at the Tacoma Little Theatre.  The first one I saw that left a big impression was THE DESERT SONG.  I loved that show, and of course I recognized the story as being the same as Zorro.

The first professional stage musical I saw the was the tour of ONCE UPON A MATTRESS with Imogene Coca, King Donovan (Mr. Coca), and Edward Everett Horton.

The first movie musical I remember seeing in the theater was THE WIZARD OF OZ.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: July 02, 2009, 06:24:12 PM »

Well... Just been catching up on and verifying some various bits of gossip...

I guess it was a relief to find out that both Will and Audra have gone through (their respective) divorces sometime during the past couple of months.  Meh!

I told you!

My next question is, how does the Mormon church look upon divorce? They clearly don't like the idea of gay marriage so how will they look upon this smudge on their idea of family values?

Who is/are Mormon?

Will Swenson is a Mormon.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #166 on: July 02, 2009, 06:27:23 PM »

Back from a really fantastic get-together chez Skip and DR FJL. The food, as I've come to expect from the immensely talented Skip, was wonderful, and the company was superb. Dylan and Toby provided a couple of fantastic song and dances, and we sent Ginny and Richard off to their show in plenty of time.  I hadn't seen our DR Jose in a bit, so that was the icing on the cupcake, courtesy of DR Ginny and Richard from Magnolia Bakery, I believe.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #167 on: July 02, 2009, 06:33:50 PM »

Back from a really fantastic get-together chez Skip and DR FJL. The food, as I've come to expect from the immensely talented Skip, was wonderful, and the company was superb. Dylan and Toby provided a couple of fantastic song and dances, and we sent Ginny and Richard off to their show in plenty of time.  I hadn't seen our DR Jose in a bit, so that was the icing on the cupcake, courtesy of DR Ginny and Richard from Magnolia Bakery, I believe.

Tell us about the food, please.
“One thing’s universal,

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #168 on: July 02, 2009, 06:34:38 PM »

I thought it was MATA HARI with John Wilkes Booth.

Sober up, you old drunk. We sat together at the premiere of THE BEGGAR's OPERA and I told Alexander Pope you would never be my type.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 06:37:11 PM by elmore3003 »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: July 02, 2009, 06:36:31 PM »

T.O.D.

The first stage musical I ever saw was either THE RED MILL or SONG OF NORWAY at the Tacoma Little Theatre.  The first one I saw that left a big impression was THE DESERT SONG.  I loved that show, and of course I recognized the story as being the same as Zorro.

There are similarities as well to THE SCARLET PIMPERNEL and Superman.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #170 on: July 02, 2009, 06:55:11 PM »

DR MICHAEL S has written an intriguing post....yes most intriguing.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #171 on: July 02, 2009, 06:56:20 PM »

DR CP I remember reading some of your stories about the other names, but not Nancy Kulp....what show?  Was it fun?  Was she an audience pleaser?

She was a favorite of mine since The Bob Cumming Shows and her bird watcher character....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #172 on: July 02, 2009, 06:57:33 PM »

I loved SHOW GIRL....laughed out loud several times.....if you didn't order it....do so!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #173 on: July 02, 2009, 06:58:06 PM »

And now I am hungry.  Tonight we staged THE QUEST scene and song....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #174 on: July 02, 2009, 07:20:48 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,

Ginny

« Reply #175 on: July 02, 2009, 07:28:14 PM »

After the fabulous dinner at DR FJL's & Skip's, Richard and I taxied to the Laura Pels Theatre to see The Tin Pan Alley Rag, a play with music by Scott Joplin and Irving Berlin.  It was certainly a change of pace from the other musicals we've seen this week.  It's still in previews, so we'll be watching for the reviews when in officially opens on July 14.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #176 on: July 02, 2009, 07:32:50 PM »

Good Evening!

Many Thanks to DR FJL and his ever-lovin' Skip and DDs Toby and Dylan for being such gracious hosts once again. Skip prepared a wonderful dinner of a mixed green salad, roast chicken with Italian herbs and garlic bread. And for the appetizers we had mini pigs-in-a-blanket, and garlic cheese and port-wine cheese too.  All quite dee-lish.

DR Ginny and DH Richard did indeed provide dessert with an assist from Magnolia Bakery, an assortment of cupcakes: Red, White & Blue, Carrot Cake, Hummingbird Cake, Caramel, Red Velvet, and Lemon Chiffon (I think).  And Skip also picked up a Key Lime Pie from The Little Pie Shop.

*Alas, even though I took pictures of the food, I did not take any pics of the people eating the food.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #177 on: July 02, 2009, 07:37:28 PM »

Btw, is anyone still watching SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE?

My favorite couple is still ade and melissa. And wow last night they were incredible. I wonder how random it was that they got that dance?

I don't like most of the pairings. Can't wait till they rotate partners.

I'm still watching "SYTYCD?"... And nothing is truly "random" about the dance selections - as tonight's featured dance guest proved - nor the couplings.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 07:40:03 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #178 on: July 02, 2009, 07:43:33 PM »

Yes, the previously unnamed establishment where Richard and I waited for the rain to let up was the new (to me, anyway) Magnolia Bakery location at 6th Ave. & 49th St.  That's perilously close to this hotel.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

FJL

« Reply #179 on: July 02, 2009, 08:03:22 PM »

Thanks to Ginny, Richard, Jose & Larry for coming over.  Great to see all of you
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up