Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Down

Author Topic: A FISTFUL OF NOTES  (Read 31641 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:A FISTFUL OF NOTES
« Reply #150 on: April 20, 2005, 02:15:02 PM »

Larry, why do you think the keyboard key signatures in Pajama Game are so unseemly?  I have never seen so many songs in an awkward assortment of 6 and 7 flats in my life (I'm playing from the conductor's score, which makes the double flats about next-to-impossible to read).  I mean, I know the concert keys were probably chosen to fit the singers and to make it easy on the brass and wind players (who, after all, need it to be as easy as possible  ;D), but why in heaven's name didn't they just enharmonicize (that's a word, isn't it?) the keyboard charts to something vaguely readable like, say, B major?   :P
[/quote.

Well, there you've got me!  I was going to suggest singer problems, but my memory of the OBC recording is that Janis Paige sings flat, so going up a step or down shouldn't have been a problem for her: she'd still be off.  I always preferred the divine Doris Day.  

Alex Rybeck, an arranger I'm very fond of, tends to go to sharp keys like E and B a lot, but I try to get the reeds and brass into flat keys.  Some times however, you're stuck in F-sharp and there's no way out, although I'd rather go to G-flat
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 02:15:35 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #151 on: April 20, 2005, 02:15:24 PM »

DRJMK - when I directed/choreographed THE PAJAMA GAME many years ago, I also found the Key Signatures in the score to be convoluted.  The first time I handed it to the pianist she handed it back to me and said:  "Who the &%*& wrote this?"
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #152 on: April 20, 2005, 02:16:20 PM »

I think Janis' flats on the OBC are part of her charm.

Ginny

« Reply #153 on: April 20, 2005, 02:34:30 PM »

DR vixmom - Song suggestion for your daughter:  "I Know Now," from Snoopy.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #154 on: April 20, 2005, 02:36:51 PM »

I don't find Janis' flatting of the notes charming at all; it's cringe inducing for me. However, she was the star of MAME when I first saw it on Broadway, and I don't remember her singing that score badly at all.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #155 on: April 20, 2005, 02:48:49 PM »

DRJMK - when I directed/choreographed THE PAJAMA GAME many years ago, I also found the Key Signatures in the score to be convoluted.  The first time I handed it to the pianist she handed it back to me and said:  "Who the &%*& wrote this?"

At least the keyboard score is newly printed (at least the one we're using) and legible.  I'm working off the conductor score, hand written (as they all were in those days--remember, Larry?  ;)).  Since I'm picking up manifold string, brass and wind parts throughout the score (all of which are written in teeny, tiny notes buried within the keyboard part), it gets to be hair-pulling time after a while.  Plus they haven't gotten stand lights for us, so I'm squinting with these aging eyes.  The good news (???) is the high school band is so chaotic that I'm going to sound like the Philadelphia Orchestra by comparison.   ;D
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #156 on: April 20, 2005, 02:57:49 PM »

Do they use BiC lighters in Hernando's Hideaway?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #157 on: April 20, 2005, 02:59:46 PM »

Lord, Reggie Miller is playing his last season home game tonight and from the coverage you would think the world was losing an important person.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #158 on: April 20, 2005, 03:01:08 PM »

OK, my predictions for tonight's IDOL bottom three:

Anwar, Anthony, and Constantine, with Anwar going home.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #159 on: April 20, 2005, 03:08:06 PM »

We have been told that we can no longer listen to Internet Radio stations at work...our Informations Systems section says it uses up to much bandwith...or rather it would, if all the employees were listening to Internet radio (of course the majority of employees would not know internet radio from a hole in the ground, but that is evidently beside the point)...so I brought a radio to work....sadly, reception here is pretty bad and I can only get two stations...Spanish language stations, both of them are, and I cannot understand a word they are saying.

MBarnum

« Reply #160 on: April 20, 2005, 03:09:06 PM »

I don't even know who Reggie Miller is...does he play on the same team as Howie Long?

JMK

« Reply #161 on: April 20, 2005, 03:17:05 PM »

Do they use BiC lighters in Hernando's Hideaway?

Last night was the first time we did it with complete sets and costumes.  The costumes for this scene are incredible--they're all dressed up like beatniks and the color scheme is completely black and red.  I was too busy trying to see the teeny, tiny notes (although Hernando is pretty easy, as I am just pizz strings in that one, LOL) to pay much attention to anything else.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #162 on: April 20, 2005, 03:17:52 PM »

I cannot understand a word they are saying.

Pretty much the same as Top 40.   ;D

Joey

• Always and forever.
    • My Website
« Reply #163 on: April 20, 2005, 03:20:44 PM »

I packed up my laptop earlier this afternoon and sent it off to get fixed. I am currently borrowing a roomate's, but I just wanted you to know to not expect to hear much from me for the next few days. Please try to contain your excitement. ;)
There is no music without silence, only noise...

Ginny

« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2005, 03:25:59 PM »

We have been told that we can no longer listen to Internet Radio stations at work...

DR MBarnum - Similar circumstance = one of my major reasons for purchasing an iPod.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2005, 03:27:40 PM »

~~~~~~~~~~~~``

Good vibes for DRJOEY's computer.

DRJMK - I hope we can see some Pajama Game photos online sooner or later!  I love to see photos of different productions, and yours sounds like a winner.....or looks like a winner....whichever!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2005, 03:28:19 PM »

DR GINNY watch out for thunderstorms tonight....although they may be north of you.  DRJOEY should be getting them soon.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #167 on: April 20, 2005, 03:31:24 PM »

In a basket or on a plate, DR RLP?

!

Wrapped in waxed paper, and placed in a paper bag at a local deli.

I ate it "off" the waxed paper.

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

What's with the EFAAN???
« Last Edit: April 20, 2005, 03:36:19 PM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #168 on: April 20, 2005, 03:33:35 PM »

Here it is - a picture from what must have been the SCARIEST production of LI'L ABNER ever!  The leads are at the top, and Daisy Mae certainly has broadened her HO-rizons!  :o

http://chanticleertheatre.org/Gallery/1990-1999/91%20Lil%20Abner.jpg

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #169 on: April 20, 2005, 03:34:16 PM »

LOL...I don't know what that is, DRRLP.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #170 on: April 20, 2005, 03:35:07 PM »

Here it is - a picture from what must have been the SCARIEST production of LI'L ABNER ever!  The leads are at the top, and Daisy Mae certainly has broadened her HO-rizons!  :o

http://chanticleertheatre.org/Gallery/1990-1999/91%20Lil%20Abner.jpg

At least it is heartwarming to see that not all of them wuz put back the way they wuz before curtain call!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #171 on: April 20, 2005, 03:35:14 PM »

Harumph!  In my day, we never needed any of those new fangled summary episode thingies to watch Dynasty or Falcon Crest!  We just watched it, and if you missed anything, tough noogies!
That's because the plot from episode to episode was always the same.  Alexis would say "I'll have your noogies for this, Blake!"  Krystal would say "Blake, no matter what, I'll always love you because of your noogies."  Fallon would sigh "Jeff, I know you mean well, but your noogies just aren't enough for me."  Blake would fume "Steven, I wish you would pay attention to your own noogies instead of the noogies of the next fellow."  And Adam would say "Mother, let me prove to you that I've got the noogies."  
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #172 on: April 20, 2005, 03:35:37 PM »

Endless Fascination About Absolutely Nothing

(EFAAN)

Jennifer

« Reply #173 on: April 20, 2005, 03:38:04 PM »

DR Vixmom, a couple of years ago every little girl wanted to sing Kristin Chenoweth /Andrew Lippa's MY NEW PHILOSOPHY from the You're A Good Man Charlie Brown revival.

I really want to see THE NOTEBOOK.  I believe it's a weepy romantic movie.  Right up BK's alley! :)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #174 on: April 20, 2005, 03:43:25 PM »

And why is it that every description on the back of the DVD MUST say "with mile-a-minute twists" about every fershluganah movie.  Enough already.
"Half-mile-a-minute" doesn't scan well, and no one knows what a kilometer is.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #175 on: April 20, 2005, 03:44:04 PM »

Oh....well - I've ALWAYS had that!  It makes me what I am.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #176 on: April 20, 2005, 03:45:54 PM »

At least it is heartwarming to see that not all of them wuz put back the way they wuz before curtain call!

Well there is that!  :o

I don't know where the Chanticleer Theatre is, but some of the pictures of their productions look very interesting.

What is "The Song of Solomon Grundy" all about?  ???

http://www.chanticleertheatre.org

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #177 on: April 20, 2005, 03:53:41 PM »

DR George - Sorry to hear you're feeling sore.  Maybe the package I mailed to you today will cheer you up!

Yea!  I'm feeling better already! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #178 on: April 20, 2005, 03:56:07 PM »

DR MBarnum - Similar circumstance = one of my major reasons for purchasing an iPod.

Yes, I may have to invest in one of those...and learn how to download music...I would get board listening to my CDs over and over again!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #179 on: April 20, 2005, 03:56:30 PM »

OUCH!!!!  He has that reddish-blonde crew cut as well.....looks sort of like Eminem.  :o
Milk chocolate or peanut?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9   Go Up