Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: THE LONG NIGHTS  (Read 24870 times)

Kerry

Re: THE LONG NIGHTS
« Reply #120 on: November 04, 2008, 12:04:51 PM »

Good day, All!

TOD:   "Operation Petticoat"
I like boat races.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #121 on: November 04, 2008, 12:12:11 PM »

Good news.

I just got a brief e-mail from Dad.  He said I got to him in time, and sent his thanks.

YAY for DR Woody's Da!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #122 on: November 04, 2008, 12:15:15 PM »

I filled out my ballot last night and dropped it off this morning.  I got an "I Voted" sticker! ;D

Yeah, we got stickers in the last general election but none today.  When I asked about them, the poll worker looked at me as if I had just got off the ship from Mars.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

singdaw

« Reply #123 on: November 04, 2008, 12:41:29 PM »

the poll worker looked at me as if I had just got off the ship from Mars.

Maybe you should re-consider wearing those blue headphones out in public.

Ginny

« Reply #124 on: November 04, 2008, 12:46:29 PM »

I filled out my ballot last night and dropped it off this morning.  I got an "I Voted" sticker! ;D

Yeah, we got stickers in the last general election but none today.  When I asked about them, the poll worker looked at me as if I had just got off the ship from Mars.

I got a sticker on Sunday that says, "I Made a Difference - So Can You - VOTE," and have worn it both yesterday and today.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

MBarnum

« Reply #125 on: November 04, 2008, 12:56:40 PM »

I got neither a free sticker nor a free coffee.

Tomovoz

« Reply #126 on: November 04, 2008, 01:01:31 PM »

King and Country (Hamp)
Oh What A Lovely War
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #127 on: November 04, 2008, 01:12:11 PM »

I'm not a huge fan of war movies either and I'm assuming when we're talking war we're talking like WWI or II, modern warfare...not necessarily historical films about wars...like the Civil War or Revolutionary or some ancient European war.  Nor films that depict civilians on the homefront or soldiers on leave.  I assume we're talking about soldiers in engaged in battles and modern warfare.

Of that ilk, however, I do have some that I'll watch over and over again:

PATHS OF GLORY
THE GREAT ESCAPE
THE DIRTY DOZEN
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
GRAND ILLUSION

I forgot Grand Illusion. One of the great films of all time and is my father's all time favorite film. Brilliant on all levels.

I love it, too, but it was the topic of discussion around here the other day when several DRs including bk did not express a liking for it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: November 04, 2008, 01:13:04 PM »

I got a sticker when I voted two weeks ago that said "I Voted -- Early." I didn't expect to get anything.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:03 PM »

I set the DVR to record CSI: MIAMI last night. I don't know why actually since I haven't been watching the show all season, but maybe I just wanted to see if the regulars were the same or who had been added.

David Caruso is as ridiculous as ever with the sunglasses and terse patter. Thecase wasn't too bad actually, and I didn't guess the murderer's identity though I probably should have suspected this person.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: November 04, 2008, 01:16:15 PM »

Then I began watching SUPERNATURAL. I watched four episodes from season 3, all in HD on Blu-ray. They looked very sharp and quite wonderful. The sound is Dolby Digital 5.1, so it's good but not a revelation.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: November 04, 2008, 01:17:43 PM »

As for bonus features, the first three episodes had little behind-the-scenes comments from someone on the crew connected to the episode. They only lasted 2-3 minutes each, but they were a nice little peek behind the cameras.

Ben

« Reply #132 on: November 04, 2008, 01:18:00 PM »

In all my years of voting here in NYC I have never gotten a sticker saying "I Voted"

Matt H.

« Reply #133 on: November 04, 2008, 01:18:28 PM »

I should be able to get at least 6 episodes more watched tonight. There are 16 episodes for Season 3, so I should have no trouble finishing with them by tomorrow.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #134 on: November 04, 2008, 01:36:51 PM »

Has bk swept the election yet?

...which reminds me of this anonymous quote: 

"My idea of housework is to sweep the room with a glance."
Anonymous
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Tomovoz

« Reply #135 on: November 04, 2008, 01:38:08 PM »

I just wrote a long paragraph about Facebook.  When I read it it just seemed "rude" so it has been deleted.

I just can't be bothered with most of the links etc there.  I have enough trouble keeping up with emails and HHW.  I do check facebook from time to time but am more likely to respond by email.

That said, I have taken the advantage of "chatting" with some people I don't find here these days.

I do appreciate the contacts but I don't know how people find the time.  I'm retired and I don't!
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

td

• td
« Reply #136 on: November 04, 2008, 01:48:39 PM »

DR tomovoz - I just keep several tabs open, that way I'm on facebook while I'm on HHW while I'm at Scarlet Street while reading All That Chat.  It's not really a matter of time - ah!  a Vincente Minnelli reference!  - it's a matter of multi-tasking.  ;)
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: November 04, 2008, 01:50:21 PM »

I guess fans of GREY'S ANATOMY have read that Brooke Smith who played Dr. Erica Hahn has been released from the show. This Thursday will be her final episode. Haven't read anything about this other than the writers didn't want to write for her character any more.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: November 04, 2008, 01:51:27 PM »

I'm hopping off-line now to write for a bit and then head back down to continue visting with the Winchester boys, Dead and Sam.

WBBL.

Tomovoz

« Reply #139 on: November 04, 2008, 01:52:40 PM »

LOL DR td - it's not the contact or the sites that are the problem (I'm on a few "others") - it's just the add ons! I really can't be bothered even finding out what they mean - let alone how they work!
(Hey I can even chew gum and ride a bicycle at the same time - I'm not sure that Paris could)
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #140 on: November 04, 2008, 01:54:13 PM »

If you enjoy good voices  and pop music  - David Hobson's "A Little Closer" is a gem as is Grace Knight's "Willow"
James Thurber 1957

Laura

« Reply #141 on: November 04, 2008, 01:54:49 PM »

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

So, I wondered if there was period of time today the cable guy was going to show and I called Time Warner; I was told my appointment was tomorrow at noon, which is not what the young lady told me on Saturday: today at 2 pm.

The next time to deal with this? Saturday 12-4. Goddam it.

Well, I guess you found your something new to rant about!
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #142 on: November 04, 2008, 01:57:21 PM »

I voted and then enjoyed Starbuck's new Thanksgiving blend.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Tomovoz

« Reply #143 on: November 04, 2008, 01:57:22 PM »

Caught up with Stephen Poliakoff's "Gideon's Daughter" last night. (It's taken so long to be shown on OZ TV).  I doubt there is a better TV writer/director out there.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: November 04, 2008, 01:58:13 PM »

Damn! Damn! Damn! Damn!

So, I wondered if there was period of time today the cable guy was going to show and I called Time Warner; I was told my appointment was tomorrow at noon, which is not what the young lady told me on Saturday: today at 2 pm.

The next time to deal with this? Saturday 12-4. Goddam it.

Well, I guess you found your something new to rant about!

LOL DearReader Laura
James Thurber 1957

George

« Reply #145 on: November 04, 2008, 02:00:26 PM »

Just another reason I loathe and despise Time-Warner. They are a scum-sucking unregulated monoply that provides service at a level below the most muck-filled sewer and if they went out of business tomorrow I, for one, would stand on a rooftop and cheer to the skies.

Just my two cents  ;)

Don't hold back, Ben...tell us how you really feel.

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #146 on: November 04, 2008, 02:01:31 PM »

I got a sticker on Sunday that says, "I Made a Difference - So Can You - VOTE," and have worn it both yesterday and today.

My sister's boyfriend saw one that said, "I Think I Voted."

George

« Reply #147 on: November 04, 2008, 02:07:44 PM »

And Happy Birthday to DR AJameson. :D

George

« Reply #148 on: November 04, 2008, 02:11:43 PM »

Good news.

I just got a brief e-mail from Dad.  He said I got to him in time, and sent his thanks.

That is good news, Woody. :)

George

« Reply #149 on: November 04, 2008, 02:12:08 PM »

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12   Go Up