Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE BUNNY HOP  (Read 76835 times)

Dan-in-Toronto

Re:THE BUNNY HOP
« Reply #120 on: January 16, 2005, 01:29:02 PM »

DR Pogues,

Glad you're both well. I was in an accident a couple of years back, and found physiotherapy to be a great help. (It should hopefully be covered by your insurance.)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: January 16, 2005, 01:35:39 PM »

Ron, was it Shonee's or Shoney's?  I'm assuming it was the Big boy franchise in the South...which brings up an interesting question how many different names were the Big Boy restaurants known under?  Through much of the South, it was Shoney's Big Boy,  I believe.  In Northern Kentucky and Cincinnati where I grew up it was known as Frisch's Big Boy.   Out here in California, it's known as Bob's Big Boy.   Any others...?

And THAT's the danger of living in California....you tend to southwesternize things...or Indianize them...it was, of course, "Shoney's."  
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #122 on: January 16, 2005, 01:36:03 PM »

My adventures so far today...
Took Wonderdog to the dogpark a 7 AM.
Went back to bed. Got up.
I decided not to go to the screening of THE MOTORCYCLE DIARIES, as I really need to do some writing and I had wasted the early morning hours sleeping.
Sooo, just to get a bit of exercise and fresh air, I walked over and returned the DVD of THE VILLAGE to its rightful owner. I was going to go straight home, but it's so beautiful out that I decided to walk over to the Farmers Market before heading back in. At the Market I purchased a few things - including some lovely red roses which were dirt cheap as the market was near closing. At the market I saw the handsome Mr. Harry Hamlin and his lovely wife of the full lips, Miss Lisa Rinna. I headed home, but on the way, popped in to Peets to see what they had to offer for breakfast (nothing I liked) - but in front of me - purchasing a SCONE, I do believe - was Miss Marissa Winokur with her very cute boyfriend (well, I assume he was her bf - they seemed pretty chummy). And now I'm home and contemplating breakfast, after which I shall write like a pregnant gazelle on 'shrooms.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 01:42:58 PM by Panni »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #123 on: January 16, 2005, 01:39:53 PM »

Danise - I didn't answer your question the other day.. i don't know where I'll be staying in NY. When DD comes back, I'll get her researching a hotel (and flight) for me.. She's very good at finding bargains at good hotels.

RE your other questions.... I might have a hard time explaining Chooster to airport security, so he'll stay home and guard the home environment. I just hope he has no wild parties.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: January 16, 2005, 01:47:27 PM »

RE your other questions.... I might have a hard time explaining Chooster to airport security, so he'll stay home and guard the home environment. I just hope he has no wild parties.

Wooden he just?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Danise

« Reply #125 on: January 16, 2005, 01:53:26 PM »

So the book is a true story. Those are always interesting.

As for meeting interesting people while on line.  I’ve only really posted on one other board.  I made some nice friendships and guess I also ticked some people off.  I’ve talked with a couple of actors but I didn’t stay in touch with them.  I figure they are very busy and I didn’t want to become a bother.

I mostly stay in touch with some through PM’s/e-mails.  I guess my not posting made some mad because they have me blocked.  That hurt at first but now I feel like, “Oh well”.   I don’t have them blocked so if they want to talk, the ball’s in their court.  

Darn, I was hoping to meet Chooster if I can come up.  I’m still thinking—part of it is that I have to put in for the time off.  I don’t expect a problem but you never know.  

I checked on average temps for that time of year and it said the high was around 48 degrees F with a low of about 34.  I understand that cold is a colder cold then the cold I’m used to at those temps.  Did that make sense?  I ordered some wool pants as a just in case, along with some thermal underwear/socks since I don’t do cold very well.  

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: January 16, 2005, 02:02:53 PM »

I checked on average temps for that time of year and it said the high was around 48 degrees F with a low of about 34.  I understand that cold is a colder cold then the cold I’m used to at those temps.  Did that make sense?  I ordered some wool pants as a just in case, along with some thermal underwear/socks since I don’t do cold very well.  

The wind comes flying around the corners and it's freezing!  In 1974, two friends and I came in for the first Saturday night perfor4mance of CANDIDE at the Broadway Theatre after its transfer from Brooklyn Academy, and my memory is that it was the March 17 weekend.  We froze!  There have been several snowstorms in the past ten years in April. so March is definitely chilly.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #127 on: January 16, 2005, 02:10:21 PM »

.  Lots of bumps and bruises, aches and pains for us...will probably have to see a doctor just to get an all clear later this week, but thankfully no one is dead or seriously hurt.

Now the hassle of the insurance and getting a new car, etc. I hate this crap.  But I'm alive. I wasn't so sure I would be as I watched that car loom up on me.

Many feel better vibes coming your way, also anti insurance hassel vibes and bargain car vibes.  I'm glad none of you were serously injured
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Danise

« Reply #128 on: January 16, 2005, 02:19:11 PM »

DR Elmore, do you think there is a good chance it will snow?  I would very much like to see that!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #129 on: January 16, 2005, 02:33:10 PM »

Yes, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir was turned into a pretty wretched musical - it's been workshopped but never staged.  I can't remember who wrote the score, but it was very mundane - not a good thing for a Ghost and Mrs. Muir musical.  The music just droned on unmemorably, and the lyrics weren't so hot either.  The book was by Dale Wasserman.  The woman who held the rights, Anita Berman, produced my play, The Good One, in tandem with Varese Sarabande.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2005, 02:34:09 PM »

I went to Bookfellows but didn't purchase anything.  Didn't go to Porto's because I just wasn't hungry.  Next time.    It's a beautiful day here in LA - sunny and best of all, warm.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2005, 02:34:27 PM »

I just sat outside and read a magazine.  So nice.

Danise

« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2005, 02:38:26 PM »

We're under a wind chill advisory for tonight.  35 degrees or lower.  Burrr.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Danise

« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2005, 02:38:52 PM »

I forgot the F.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2005, 02:49:35 PM »

Last night I attended a remarkable recital by Miss Renee Fleming at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the Los Angeles Music Center, Dear Readers.

She opened with a lovely set of five arias by Mr. George Frideric Handel, and followed that with a trying set of seven early songs by Mr. Alban Berg.

The set following the interval was the most interesting one of the evening for me.  It began with "I Can Smell the Sea Air" from Mr. Andre Previn's opera A Streetcar Named Desire.  Next up was an incredible song--a monodrama, really--composed by Mr. John Kander.  It was entitled "A Letter from Sullivan Ballou" and the words are comprised of a letter from a soldier (the text indicates that he is fighting in the Civil War) to his beloved wife.  "Lest I should not be able to write again, I feel impelled to write a few lines that may fall under your eye when I shall be no more..." is how the song begins and Miss Fleming drew many a tear from the audience with her rendition.  The set ended with "Ain't It a Pretty Night" from Mr. Carlisle Floyd's woefully underperformed Susannah.

The fourth and final set of the evening consisted of six songs by Mr. Robert Schumann.

Miss Fleming was in a generous mood last night, and delivered five encores:  a thoroughly exquisite "O Mio Babbino Caro" from Mr. Giacomo Puccini's Gianni Schicchi, Mr. Richard Strauss' "Cecilie," another aria from Susannah (could this be a new role Miss Fleming is preparing?), "Summertime" from Porgy and Bess and finally another song by Mr. Strauss, "Morgen."

Miss Fleming's creamy vocal quality, delicate pianissimi, amazing breath control and personal charm were all in conspicuous evidence last night.  The audience was enthralled!
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 02:54:23 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Danise

« Reply #135 on: January 16, 2005, 02:56:03 PM »

Yes, The Ghost and Mrs. Muir was turned into a pretty wretched musical - it's been workshopped but never staged.  I can't remember who wrote the score, but it was very mundane - not a good thing for a Ghost and Mrs. Muir musical.  The music just droned on unmemorably, and the lyrics weren't so hot either.  The book was by Dale Wasserman.  The woman who held the rights, Anita Berman, produced my play, The Good One, in tandem with Varese Sarabande.

So what does that mean?  That there is a musical out there of The Ghost and Mrs Muir but it never opened?  

Could new songs/music be written for it?
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Jay

« Reply #136 on: January 16, 2005, 02:56:56 PM »

May I just say that after all the crappy weather we've endured here in Lalaland over the past few weeks what a pleasure it is to have all the windows open and a pleasant warm breeze blowing through the house?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #137 on: January 16, 2005, 02:59:22 PM »

No, it never opened and was never staged anywhere, if I remember correctly.  If the rights are still held by these people, no, it can't have a new score written.  If the rights have reverted to their owner, yes, it can be re-licensed.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #138 on: January 16, 2005, 03:04:15 PM »

I forgot to mention that when I was at Mitchell Books yesterday, he had some interesting souvenir programs from musicals - I picked up Timbuktu, and this one - Carnival in Flanders, a huge flop which contained a song that would go on to become a standard and a classic, Here's that Rainy Day.

Here is the title page of the program.  If you called a musical "A Gay and Lusty Musical" today, I think you know what you'd be in store for.

Danise

« Reply #139 on: January 16, 2005, 03:04:44 PM »

Well, that (pardon my language) sucks.   :(

I could see that show as a kind of Harvey.  You would either have someone play the ghost or just play off of people reacting to the ghost.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #140 on: January 16, 2005, 03:23:32 PM »

Well, that (pardon my language) sucks.   :(

I could see that show as a kind of Harvey.  You would either have someone play the ghost or just play off of people reacting to the ghost.

Harvey's been musicalized, too.   I defer to BK for a sparkling critique.  :)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: January 16, 2005, 03:25:59 PM »

DR Elmore, do you think there is a good chance it will snow?  I would very much like to see that!

DRDanise, I can't promise anything.  We're still waiting for snow.

I went over to Barnes & Noble and picked up Michael Portantiere's THEATERMANIA GUIDE TO MUSICAL THEATER RECORDINGS.  It's hard to put it down!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: January 16, 2005, 03:28:09 PM »

Last night I attended a remarkable recital by Miss Renee Fleming at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion at the Los Angeles Music Center, Dear Readers.

DRJay, who accompanied her?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: January 16, 2005, 03:29:35 PM »

I'm not familiar with the Harvey musical.

Tomovoz

« Reply #144 on: January 16, 2005, 03:34:33 PM »

It didn't stand a ghost of a chance.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #145 on: January 16, 2005, 03:39:39 PM »

SAY HELLO TO HARVEY opened (and closed) in Toronto in the early 1980s. Leslie Bricusse wrote the score, and Donald O'Connor and Patricia Routledge starred. I didn't see it, but if I recall the reviews were not dreadful. I think the husband of a friend stage-managed the show, and I'll see if he can provide more details.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2005, 03:43:17 PM by Dan-in-Toronto »

Jay

« Reply #146 on: January 16, 2005, 03:41:16 PM »

DRJay, who accompanied her?

Mr. Hartmut Holl.  (With an umlaut over the "o.")

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #147 on: January 16, 2005, 03:44:59 PM »

SAY HELLO TO HARVEY opened (and closed) in Toronto in the early 1980s. Leslie Bricusse wrote the score, and Donald O'Connor and Patricia Routledge starred. I didn't see it, but if I recall the reviews were not dreadful. I think the husband of a friend stage-managed the show, and I'll see if he can provide more details.

Patricia Routledge co-starred.  Ken Mandelbaum (all of a sudden) says Bricusse's score was dreadful, but I'm not sure if he actually saw the show.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #148 on: January 16, 2005, 04:18:54 PM »

Didn't Dolores Gray win a Tony Award for her few performances in CARNIVAL IN FLANDERS?

Still no MBARNUM - hope he isn't stuck beside the road in his new car somewhere.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #149 on: January 16, 2005, 04:19:57 PM »

I think they must have a camera and commentator every 6 1/2 feet on the Red Carpet at the Golden Globes Awards.

DR DANISE what happened to your avatar?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up