Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE FLICKERING FLAMES  (Read 25895 times)

Robin

Re:THE FLICKERING FLAMES
« Reply #90 on: February 04, 2004, 01:49:21 PM »

Oh, and as far as pre-cold Hollywood movies go, like DR Charles Pogue, I'm going for Tarzan and His Mate, which not only showed some skin, but showed sex as being healthy and fun.  And what could possibly be wrong with that?  

I could bitch and moan about Johnny Weissmuller not being true to Edgar Rice Burroughs, but this movie (and Tarzan the Ape Man, for that matter) are so good it's difficult to whine about it.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Robin

« Reply #91 on: February 04, 2004, 01:50:06 PM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]PAGE FOUR, PEOPLE![/move]
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: February 04, 2004, 01:53:54 PM »

I always liked CUE magazine. Does anyone else remember it?

I hope and pray that Natasha Richardson isn't signed to play Guenivere in CAMELOT opposite her husband. Just like her mother in the film, she's a beautiful woman without an ounce of singing talent. That worked fine in CABARET where Sally was supposed to be a second rate singer, but those songs in CAMELOT need a vocal artist to do them justice. Oh, sure, she can "act" them as her mother did, but it lessens their impact tremendously. I do NOT want to see a CAMELOT where either Guenivere or Lancelot doesn't have a trained voice.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 01:55:10 PM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #93 on: February 04, 2004, 01:54:18 PM »

I loved Show Business Illustrated - one of my favorite magazines ever.  And wasn't there another one called Show?  And then there was the marvelous Cinema.  They have nothing today that is as wonderful as those were.  And, for me, the granddaddy of all great show mags, Theatre Arts.

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #94 on: February 04, 2004, 02:05:24 PM »

Good afternoon all
I'm afraid I'm starting to slip under the weather myself.  No mean feat, I can tell you.  For the last six months i've been lucky in avoiding the sicknesses that the children pass between themselves, but now i'm getting the feeling that my luck has run out.  I just hope it does what colds usually do with me, and never really take hold.  
No BK questions as of yet...give me time to think...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #95 on: February 04, 2004, 02:10:44 PM »

BTW (By the way in Internet lingo), WEL, I didn't mean to ignore your earlier question, but I was in transit from home to work when you posted it.  I beleive the top ticket price for Bette Middler last night was $150.00, which is about right for Seattle prices.  Unfortunately, I don't think they had seats that were any more comfortable than mine at one and a half times the price.

DR Jane, thank you for the good wishes.  I hope you get to feeling better soon, too.  Fortunately, my back didn't start to bother me until the concert had ended and I had to try and walk up two flights of stairs.  Swell!  But at least, it didn't bother me during the show.

Oh, and for all you Broadway lovers, Bette did a wonderful production number called Fishtails on Broadway featuring her mermaid character, Delores Delgado, along with her Harlettes trying to go from carnival sideshow to Broadway stardom (using some of the corniest marine-life show tune takeoffs I have ever heard:  i.e.  …..All That Shad).  I thought it was great, although The Hollywood Reporter didn’t seem to share my enthusiasm.  

“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #96 on: February 04, 2004, 02:12:15 PM »

Thanks to all the DR's for the vibeage.  I should know tomorrow or so what the outcome will be!  ;D

All these magazines and movies....oh my I am having a flashback!  8)

Hold it, Newt - there were articles in  After Dark?  I have a couple of issues around - the others long gone.  

Show Business IllustratedShow

I loved them all!  :P

Didn't Pert Nipples play Mrs Paroo in The Music Man?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #97 on: February 04, 2004, 02:12:38 PM »

OH and TOMOVOZ - thanks for the beautiful calendar!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #98 on: February 04, 2004, 02:16:53 PM »

Jeff Goldblum is THE FLY right now on Fox Movie Channel....another nickel for DR Charles Pogue!

To be followed by LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN.....  Gene Tierney is remarkable in this movie....."I'll never let you go....."

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #99 on: February 04, 2004, 02:17:42 PM »

BK, Yes, there was SHOW, which I go on about for some length in my first post of the day (page two, I believe) as well as SBI.

Jennifer

« Reply #100 on: February 04, 2004, 02:35:21 PM »

And as for last night's "American Idol" - I've never seen any of the prelim rounds until this season.  It's very neat seeing all the "process".  Unfortunately, it's just sad to see some of these kids get in there in own way, ruin their big chance all on their own.  I'm looking forward to tonight's show.  And it was nice to see the judges giving some of the contestants a second - or in some case a third or fourth - chance to make it to the final 32.

They have never shown this many of the audition shows in past years. But I think they saw how popular they were, so we got 2 full weeks of it.

I like watching the 100+ get widdled down to 32.  But it's hard to keep track of who was cut.

I do wish that the public had some say. Because I'm sure a bunch of favorites will not make it to the 32.

I felt so bad that a bunch of them forgot their lines (seemed like a lot of them did that). But there were a few I really liked who froze (one really pretty brunette).

Jennifer

« Reply #101 on: February 04, 2004, 02:38:17 PM »

DR Jane: If you take today's subject "FLICKERING FLAMES" ... when I put the page down, all I see is the L and I glued togeter to make a U  (that is what I meant by shock) :)

Jennifer

« Reply #102 on: February 04, 2004, 02:42:11 PM »

DR Jose and others: Re: American Idol

Someone involved in music/theatre mentioned to me that they found it extremely odd that the original auditions were done without a piano or anything.  Does anyone else find that strange?  I mean obviously Jose, you only do auditions where they use a piano (since you play piano). But would anybody else ever ask people to sing a capella?

Jennifer

« Reply #103 on: February 04, 2004, 02:47:19 PM »

Feel better DR Jane. And TCB I hope your back gets better soon.

I would like to say that people who have snowblowers and sneak onto your driveway to help remove the snow deserve many good vibes (like my neighbor did today) ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Matt H.

« Reply #104 on: February 04, 2004, 03:02:09 PM »

Singing a capella is a good way to see who can hold their pitch. Plus they can shuffle people in and out so much more quickly.

Tonight's show is going to be a fingernail biting exercise in anxiety. Already I've invested some hope in some of these contestants, and I'm eager to see if they make it to the next round. Amazing how they've given us JUST enough to get intrigued by some of the performers.

Michael

« Reply #105 on: February 04, 2004, 03:05:39 PM »

Pert Nipples is the title of my new book!  Only kidding.

Emily: If they were to do a Biography of me and I didn't take part, they could interview any of the singers I've worked with, they could interview Harvey Schmidt, Todd Ellison, my brother, my daughter, my college professors, and Guy Haines.

Wasn't Pert Nipples in The Music Man and the original Alice on the Honeymooners?
Never stop dreaming.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #106 on: February 04, 2004, 03:11:58 PM »

Panni - for the upscale Thanksgiving window. The words "free range" and "organic" and "grain fed" might appear somewhere. Also: a big dried-flower arrangement; picture-perfect apples (in a bushel basket); and  autumn leaves and branches tastefully festooned. And don't forget those chestnuts in your freezer. (Or are they more Christmassy?)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #107 on: February 04, 2004, 03:14:14 PM »

Good Afternoon/Dusk!

Well, I headed out and got my hair cut.  And then I proceeded over to Target, bought a set of hair clippers, and "fixed" my haircut.  -That's what you get when you try a new barber!  -And the posssibility of driving up and back to Fairfax tomorrow - two hours each way - to go my usual barber did cross my mind.  In any case, the original cut I got today wan't bad, it's just wasn't good.  And since I've been toying with getting a set of my own clippers, I figured what the hell.  And I have to say, the "new and improved" haircut came out rather well.  I'm just thankful that I have very "clipper cut friendly" hair - I just have to put the guides on the clippers and just start moving them over my head.  So...

American Idol - I think the primary reason for the unaccompanied auditions is time.  To "process" that many people takes lots of time as it is.  To add the additional time of having someone walk to a piano, talk to the pianist, start an intro, etc...  They would simply not able to hear everyone.  Also, most of the contestants probably practice without a piano - most likely they just sing along with a recording.  Going into an audition like the AI ones without sheet music and a pianist to play it is also a "favor" to the auditionees.  In a way, it sort of makes it easier for them to be able to go to the audition - they just have to bring themself to the audition.  -And like Broadway selections, a lot of pop stuff is not published in the right key.  And, frankly, a lot of it sounds horrible played on a piano - especially the beat-driven, sample-derived pieces.  Yadda, yadda, yadda...

-Singing unaccompanied is MUCH harder than with a piano, and from the judges standpoint, I guess it wuld make the screening much easier too.

DR Jane and DR Ann and DR TCB and DR JRand53- Good Health Vibes!

BK - Did you answer my fire question?

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #108 on: February 04, 2004, 03:20:18 PM »

DR Panni - As for a Thanksgiving Day window display - If it's a grocery store, I usually just see various things painted on the windows: the Mayflower, Pilgrim Hats, Indian headresses, turkeys - "live" and "cooked", cornucopias, pumpkins, pumpkin pies, etc...  Of course, all of this is next to the various Specials and Sales posted in the window too.
Make Your Own Luck.

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #109 on: February 04, 2004, 03:30:18 PM »

DR Matt H.- Speaking of Camelot, I had my audition for our schools prduction of it. My friend Rudy and I auditioned together. I went out, sang 2 pages of "The Simple Joys of Maidenhood", went backstage. He went out, sang a few bars of "Camelot", and then "C'est Moi". I returned, and we read through the first scene between Arthur and Guenevere. Rudy and I are very comfortable around each other, and trust one another. The scene ran very smoothly. When we finished, the panel of judges said "Wow...thank you VERY much."

While it was nice to get that reaction, I'm not getting my hopes up. I never audition well for musicals, and usually end up as a 'choral leader'. We shall see.

BK- A long time ago you said that the radio shows were going to be archived. Is that in progress?
...Walk in the sunshine...

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #110 on: February 04, 2004, 03:34:15 PM »

Break a leg DR SARAH!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #111 on: February 04, 2004, 03:37:48 PM »

Oops - DR JRand53 - Sorry to have batched you in with the Good Health Vibes bunch... In any case, Good Vibes your way! :-)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #112 on: February 04, 2004, 03:39:26 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen - the Original Pert Nipples!   ;D

And titular head of Rita Marlowe Incorporated!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #113 on: February 04, 2004, 03:40:10 PM »

I take 'em anywhere I can get 'em DR JOSE! Thanks.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #114 on: February 04, 2004, 03:40:57 PM »

DR Sarah - Thanks for sharing your audition story!  -And I guess I still owe you a package ;-)  -It's been sitting on my desk for a while, but with my "stuff" the past week...

Oh, and somewhere between Target and my apartment, I lost a hubcap - ???  Not bad since the car is ten years old... Although, it's kind of funny that the day I get my car back from the shop, I lose a hubcap - well, maybe it's not that funny.. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: February 04, 2004, 03:41:21 PM »

So many fun topics today. . .and yesterday.  I'm still waiting to see a few photos from the 70s from a few of the DRS.

In fact it is so much fun here, that I really don't want to break up the mirth and merriment, but there are times (and there are days) when being the bearer of bad tidings is part of my life.

Dear Reader Evil Twin (aka Janet Fanale) lost her dear mother on Saturday - - I was only given the news this afternoon, so she really needs good vibes and consolation.

Fanale, Arlene Brent: Saturday, January 31, 2004. Predceased by her husband, Arthur. Survived by her daughters, Janet, Karen and Susan Fanale; sister, Rita (Ronald) Schiefen; nieces, nephews and cousins. Mrs. Fanale was the founder of the Rochester Repertory Company (Children Theatre Touring Company). Arlene was a playwright, director, producer and actress. Her plays were produced in Rochester and Buffalo.
Friends may call Monday 2-4, 7-9 at the JOHN M. HEDGES FUNERAL HOME,1717 Portland Ave. (at the corner of Portland Ave. and Ridge Rd. E.). Friends may attend Arlene's Funeral Mass, Tuesday at 9:15 A.M. at St. Ambrose Church. Interment, Holy Sepulchre Cemetery. Memorials may be directed to Nazareth College.

My warmest thoughts will be conveyed to Janet later this evening on the telephone.
I shall also be visiting the online e-card sites, and sending a sympathy card to her.  Should any other Dear Readers wish to follow suit, Janet's email address is JanFanale@aol.com

All good vibes would be appreciated.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #116 on: February 04, 2004, 03:48:16 PM »

Having lost my mom in 1999, I understand exactly what the feelings are she must be experiencing. My heartfelt sympathy to her.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #117 on: February 04, 2004, 03:55:36 PM »

Sympathy and good thoughts and vibes of strength and remembrance....to Jane!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #118 on: February 04, 2004, 03:58:53 PM »

I think today would be a good day to offer up a general set of good vibes to each and every one of us for all our health problems, career problems, school problems, artistic problems, finanacial problems, and court-realted problems.  
May all of the wonderful people of this site  have all of their problems resolved for the good and in record time..

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                 GOOD VIBES
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[/move]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #119 on: February 04, 2004, 04:07:00 PM »

My thoughts are with Janet and her family.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2004, 04:18:46 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up