Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE UNEVENTFUL AND RESTFUL FOURTH OF JULY  (Read 4340 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE UNEVENTFUL AND RESTFUL FOURTH OF JULY
« on: July 05, 2016, 12:31:09 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were restful and uneventful, and now it is time for you to post until the restful and uneventful cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE UNEVENTFUL AND RESTFUL FOURTH OF JULY
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 12:32:11 AM »

And the word of the day is: FELICITOUS!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:48:11 AM »

First post after BK!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 12:58:55 AM »

T.O.D. #1A

I have never seen any production of PORGY AND BESS, other than the film version.
I do love the PORGY AND BESS album starring William Warfield and Leontyne Price.

“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 01:06:59 AM »

I fell in love with Miss Price after hearing that recording.  Twice I bought tickets to hear her in concert, and both times I wasn't able to go.  My mother was thrilled by my generosity.
“One thing’s universal,

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 01:13:17 AM »

I've seen a couple of different versions, including the San Francisco Opera production that BK just watched.  I prefer two recorded versions, one with Ella Fitzgerald and Louis Armstrong, and the version with Cleo Laine and Ray Charles. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 01:27:51 AM »

T.O.D. #2A

RODEO
FANFARE FOR THE COMMON MAN
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 04:02:21 AM »

Good Morning to all
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 04:04:36 AM »

TOD

If I remember correctly the Trevor Nunn version has the cast lip synching to the recording that they did and some of the cast of recording was not in the filmed version. Also i thought the lip syching was not very good.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 04:09:41 AM »

I think the Otto Preminger verison from 1959 (?) can be seen on Youtube
Never stop dreaming.

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 04:33:28 AM »

We had torrential rain last night... So I started my day by mopping up the basement

:P
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 04:33:47 AM »

Time to shower and get ready for work
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

FJL

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 04:49:17 AM »

Back to the office day here, too!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 04:54:41 AM »

Good morning, all! 
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 04:57:25 AM »

I turned off the lights at 10:30 and at 130 I was still awake. I really have no idea what's screwing up my sleep patterns,  This does not bode well for today's loooooong meeting, which could be interesting.

Please send vibes! This August reading needs them.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2016, 04:59:02 AM »

I believe last night was the first time in years that I heard no fireworks at all.  It was a surprisingly quiet July 4th.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2016, 04:59:47 AM »

DR vixmom, I'm happy that you are safely home.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 05:05:03 AM »

TOD:

I've only seen the movie version of PORGY AND BESS.
You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 05:06:48 AM »

There were fireworks going off around our house until almost eleven o'clock last night.

My poor dog was shaking like a leaf.  We had to force him to go out to do his business.
You can dream…or you can do.

ChasSmith

« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 05:27:54 AM »

Good morning, all.

ChasSmith

« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 05:28:16 AM »

So, July 5th and back to...real life?          :)

ChasSmith

« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 05:33:41 AM »

The fireworks at my friends' house were spectacular, as was the food and the company.  There had to be 50 or 60 people there.  I also learned they don't bring these up from the South, as I'd always thought.  They drive over to Matamoras, PA, just across the state line on I-84.  It turns out PA can sell real fireworks, but not to PA residents who are restricted to the "toy" stuff most of us can get.  They can only sell them to people with ID that proves they're from any other state -- regardless of that state's own laws governing fireworks.  Isn't that crazy?  Don't you love laws?  Anyway, a great time was had by all.

FJL

« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 05:35:33 AM »

Vibes for Larry's August reading!

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 05:40:55 AM »

I find it shocking that people are allowed to buy and put on their own fireworks shows. There are a enough fireworks shows here but it has to be done by the city.

ChasSmith

« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 05:53:14 AM »

TOD:

I was taken to see the movie version of Porgy and Bess at some point in its first year of release, and it was as much of a game changer for me as West Side Story would be a few years later.  I played the soundtrack LP to death, later followed by the Price/Warfield recording.  I bought the Duke Ellington, Mel Torme/Frances Faye recording, and in those years I wasn't so interested in jazz arrangements but I'm very glad I took good care of that copy and still have it.  Later, the Lehman Engel "complete" recording became an obsession.

As for seeing it performed, one of my great regrets is not being able in the mid-1980s, when I was living and working in L.A., to get to NYC to see it at the Met.  That first Saturday broadcast was the greatest thrill, even though it was hampered with transmission problems.  My cassette tape of it is probably fair, at best.  I should see if it still plays and back it up to digital.  I've seen a few productions that ranged from fair to middlin', and I'm afraid I passed on the Broadway incarnation a few years ago.  Haven't watched the Trevor Nunn either, as of yet.

ChasSmith

« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 05:55:41 AM »

Strong vibes and best wishes for DR Elmore's meeting!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 06:48:04 AM »

Thank you, DRs ChasSmith and FJL! I hope I can stay awake, focused, and think with a clear head. There are thngs to be discussed about cast and concerns of the reading.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 06:54:57 AM »

TOD:

I was taken to see the movie version of Porgy and Bess at some point in its first year of release, and it was as much of a game changer for me as West Side Story would be a few years later.  I played the soundtrack LP to death, later followed by the Price/Warfield recording.  I bought the Duke Ellington, Mel Torme/Frances Faye recording, and in those years I wasn't so interested in jazz arrangements but I'm very glad I took good care of that copy and still have it.  Later, the Lehman Engel "complete" recording became an obsession.

As for seeing it performed, one of my great regrets is not being able in the mid-1980s, when I was living and working in L.A., to get to NYC to see it at the Met.  That first Saturday broadcast was the greatest thrill, even though it was hampered with transmission problems.  My cassette tape of it is probably fair, at best.  I should see if it still plays and back it up to digital.  I've seen a few productions that ranged from fair to middlin', and I'm afraid I passed on the Broadway incarnation a few years ago.  Haven't watched the Trevor Nunn either, as of yet.

I have John McGlinn's DVD of the film. I have no idea where he got it. I saw th Met production: my friends Karla Burs and the late great Bruce Hubbard were in it.  Seeing him backstage was the last time I saw him alive.  I didn't think Levine's tempos were "show bizzy" enough.  I don't like the Trevor Nunn film much.  Cutting Porgy's goat cart and having him miraculously walk at the end were big artistic errors in my book,

I did like the City Opera production, which was in the hands of two friends,  director Tazewell Thompson and conductor John deMain. I saw a dress rehearsal, I think. It was broadcast on either Live from Lincoln Center or Great Performances, and I have the videocassette somewhere. I have only the lowest opinion of the Diane Paulus abortion from several years ago.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 06:55:37 AM »

It's about time to hit this meeting. I hope it's fun and I stay awake.  It will be looooong!

ChasSmith

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 07:12:35 AM »

TOD:

I have John McGlinn's DVD of the film. I have no idea where he got it. I saw th Met production: my friends Karla Burs and the late great Bruce Hubbard were in it.  Seeing him backstage was the last time I saw him alive.  I didn't think Levine's tempos were "show bizzy" enough.  I don't like the Trevor Nunn film much.  Cutting Porgy's goat cart and having him miraculously walk at the end were big artistic errors in my book,

I did like the City Opera production, which was in the hands of two friends,  director Tazewell Thompson and conductor John deMain. I saw a dress rehearsal, I think. It was broadcast on either Live from Lincoln Center or Great Performances, and I have the videocassette somewhere. I have only the lowest opinion of the Diane Paulus abortion from several years ago.

I've seen the film version twice in the years it's been withheld:  in UCLA's little repertory cinema (in the Schoenberg music building, and it's now a small recital hall), and at the Ziegfeld in 2007 when a collector's 70mm print was shown in conjunction with the then-new Preminger biography.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up