Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: ELECTRICITY  (Read 4327 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: ELECTRICITY
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2016, 06:08:52 AM »

Would have loved seeing/hearing that Sunday in the Park With George, which was never going to happen at those benefit prices.

DR Elmore, will you be there for it?  Please give us a report!

No.  i am not seeing it.  This is not an event from the Encores! people.  It's a Jeanine Tesori project.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2016, 06:09:15 AM »

!!  2  !!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

ChasSmith

« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2016, 06:09:20 AM »

I have never seen the Langella film, which must make me one of the few people who can say that.  At this point I've just been waiting for there to be a good release of it on home video.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2016, 06:10:43 AM »

I just remembered that I have to stay home to wait for the delivery of my Citibank info to reset my PIN for my debit card.  I am currently unable to use it or access my account online.  Damn!!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: October 11, 2016, 06:11:54 AM »

I have never seen the Langella film, which must make me one of the few people who can say that.  At this point I've just been waiting for there to be a good release of it on home video.

I saw the Langella film in the first summer i was iving in Manhattan. It was at the Ziegfeld, I think.  I did not like it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: October 11, 2016, 06:41:19 AM »

When I hear the name Jeanine Tesori - I usually run the other way.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: October 11, 2016, 06:42:38 AM »

Comcast has buried is transmission wires and is using optical cable - this happened about eight years ago....but we also have electric and telephone wires all over the place.....

Speaking of which - across the street trees and bushes are being torn down and out and put through the shredder.  It is NOT a quiet process.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: October 11, 2016, 06:42:59 AM »

I am delaying shopping one more day....I am feeling much better - but still a bit slow.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: October 11, 2016, 06:44:41 AM »

TOD:
Books -
Interview with the Vampire
Dracula

Movies/TV -
Dark Shadows
The Lost Boys
Blood of Dracula AND the two Landres films mentioned by DR CHAS SMITH.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: October 11, 2016, 06:46:01 AM »

et moi aussi!

Laura

« Reply #40 on: October 11, 2016, 06:47:39 AM »

Good morning.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #41 on: October 11, 2016, 06:53:22 AM »

We had a lovely day in the aspen leaves yesterday. We also rode the ski lift to almost the top of the highest mountain in Arizona. We were at about 12,000 feet.

ChasSmith

« Reply #42 on: October 11, 2016, 06:54:53 AM »

Didn't catch this yesterday, someone just sent me the link:

The failed Broadway musical I wish every medical student could see

FJL

« Reply #43 on: October 11, 2016, 07:03:19 AM »

et moi aussi!

If you're talking about her personally, I've found her to be quite wonderful and when asked a good advisor, a person you can go to to hear a direct and rational perspective.  (This dates as far back to the BMI workshop when she was Skip's student there and she would opine on a song being presented.)   

If you mean her music, I guess tastes differ, but her work is so different depending on the project - it seems to be so well-tied to the mood of the project; for example, even with the show's dramaturgical issues that annoy some people, i know i can always rely on her songs with Dick Scanlan in Thoroughly Modern Millie to give me a feeling of joy and fun.  Likewise, her work with Brian Crawley in Violet.

Listening to Caroline or Change, i admit, depresses me about society, but I think it does that in a way that she and Tony Kushner intended for it to do.

FJL

« Reply #44 on: October 11, 2016, 07:08:55 AM »

I must sheepishly confess to having enjoyed the musical of Shrek, which I know it's not fashionable to have liked.  I thought the songwriting really elevated that material.

Kerry

« Reply #45 on: October 11, 2016, 07:10:11 AM »

TOD:  the original "Dracula' with Bela Lugosi is hard to beat for mood and for some great lines.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: October 11, 2016, 07:10:57 AM »

We had a lovely day in the aspen leaves yesterday. We also rode the ski lift to almost the top of the highest mountain in Arizona. We were at about 12,000 feet.

Which mountain is that?
I like boat races.

John G.

• Dance, if it makes you happy.
« Reply #47 on: October 11, 2016, 07:11:15 AM »

Good morning, all.
“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #48 on: October 11, 2016, 07:13:57 AM »

TOD:

I'm in Fred's camp. I grew up on Dark Shadows (well, grades 2-4) and there's never been another vampire like Jonathan Frid's Barnabus Collins.

And I found Love at First Bite great fun.

“Let us read, and let us dance; these two amusements will never do any harm to the world.”
― Voltaire

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2016, 08:06:07 AM »

Tuesday morning greetings!  Yesterday was quite fun, but very tiring.  In the morning I drove about 40 miles round-trip to visit with my friend Anne, in the afternoon I drove 50 miles round-trip for the Miami University presidential inauguration, and didn't get home until almost 8pm.  Crashed about 10:30 and slept for a solid 10 hours.  Today I get to be home until about 6, when I'm going to this month's oral history taping for the Miami-Middletown 50th anniversary.   Tonight's topic:  Dave Finkelman Auditorium.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2016, 08:11:38 AM »

My Fed Ex arrived, I have spoken to Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts, and I think I will heads out for my flu shot. I hope the info I got from my HMO is correct and that I can walk right in.

Laura

« Reply #51 on: October 11, 2016, 09:15:46 AM »

Which mountain is that?

We went to the Snowbowl and went up Mt. Humphrey.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #52 on: October 11, 2016, 09:16:11 AM »

It took me one hour to catch a bus, get the flu shot, and take another bus home.  I'm feeling lucky!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #53 on: October 11, 2016, 09:23:05 AM »

While I found "Salem's Lot" mostly palatable as a TV mini-series, it had only one pure moment of dread for me:  The scene in which one of the Glick boys was floating at the window and tapping on it begging his brother to let him in.  That was the end of the Glick line, I fear.

The book is a different matter.   I picked it up in a Stars and Strips Bookstore in Naples, Italy, back in the mid-1970s.  Nowhere on the cover did it mention vampires.  I knew King was a "horror" writer and had written "Carrie", so I was curious and needed a weekend's read.   By the time I realized it was a damned vampire book I was hooked.  This book gave me a nightmare one night.  I woke up and went to the bathroom to check my neck.  The sun wasn't up yet, and I was pretty sure I had just dreamed it, but needed to get some sunlight just to be sure.   Sigh.

TOD:  Favorite vampire-themed stuff -- the entire "Vampire Lestat" series by Ann Rice.  "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" TV series.  "Angel" TV series.  Also, Aaron Spelling's "Kindred: The Embraced" was an interesting take on vampires in San Francisco.  Didn't last long.  Star of the show died in a motorcycle accident just a few months after the show's cancellation.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ginny

« Reply #54 on: October 11, 2016, 09:27:51 AM »

DR Elmore, I just ordered tickets for us to celebrate Richard's birthday at Wright State University's Festival Playhouse seeing NO, NO, NANETTE.  He's taking ukulele lessons now from Jim McCutcheon, who has been coaching the cast for "I Want to Be Happy."
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 09:34:50 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

John G.

« Reply #55 on: October 11, 2016, 10:06:40 AM »

DR Elmore, I just ordered tickets for us to celebrate Richard's birthday at Wright State University's Festival Playhouse seeing NO, NO, NANETTE.  He's taking ukulele lessons now from Jim McCutcheon, who has been coaching the cast for "I Want to Be Happy."

That sounds like fun.
― Voltaire

John G.

« Reply #56 on: October 11, 2016, 10:09:17 AM »

I don't find Tesori's music all that memorable. Of her scores, I think I like Fun Home best.
― Voltaire

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2016, 12:24:32 PM »

I'm up, I'm up - only got about six hours of sleep, if that - got up just before ten, picked up the booklets for signing, then got the seating chart for The Brain event to proof, did so, and ticket sales are now live and I want to know which dear readers are coming in for this wonderful concert and the answer better not be zero, baby, or there will be hell toupee.  When we did the show, we had at least six or seven dear reader attendees.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 11, 2016, 12:26:11 PM »

Here's a link to the tickets: 
http://www.brownpapertickets.com/event/2696511

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2016, 12:58:32 PM »

Topic of the Day:  Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up