Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: BELLY DANCING  (Read 18148 times)

FJL

Re:BELLY DANCING
« Reply #120 on: October 15, 2006, 07:43:21 PM »

And one for Marni

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #121 on: October 15, 2006, 07:48:16 PM »

Separated at birth?

Johnny Mercer...

Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Edisaurus

« Reply #122 on: October 15, 2006, 07:48:59 PM »

...and Elvis Costello
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #123 on: October 15, 2006, 08:12:44 PM »

That LI'L ABNER pic is from the cover of the soundtrack album. I stumbled across a copy of that in NYC in the mid-60s and couldn't believe my eyes. It was out of print to my knowledge, and I was so thrilled to get it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #124 on: October 15, 2006, 08:15:44 PM »

Had some good and bad viewing experiences tonight. Began with RED EYE, the thriller with Rachel McAdams, Cillian Murphy, and Brian Cox.

Like so many of today's thrillers, there was promise in the premise of the film, but the resolution just falls apart with ridiculous events occurring and a killer that can't be killed himself despite multiple injuries. Just like the Energizer bunny, he just keeps on comin'. *Cue my rolling my eyes into my head and shouting curses at the screen.)

Matt H.

« Reply #125 on: October 15, 2006, 08:17:02 PM »

I watched the fifth episode of GREY'S ANATOMY on the second season set, the one with George performing heart surgery in a stalled elevator. Wonderful.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: October 15, 2006, 08:18:49 PM »

My partial enjoyment of ABC's two dramedies tonight was tempered by an engineer somewhere not throwing the high definition switch (don't know if it was the local affiliate or the NYC engineer at ABC Central). So, I watched both shows in standard resolution (which gives a decidedly brownish cast to the look of the picture).

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: October 15, 2006, 08:22:19 PM »

DESPERATE HOUSEWIVES:

Gabby's story is THE WAR OF THE ROSES lite. Thus not nearly as effective, funny, or interesting.

Bree's story I did like as Andrew seems to be coming around slowly to something approaching normalcy though Danielle now has a turn to be the bad seed.

Lynette was spared from any more Nora nonsense, but I can't say I enjoyed the Parker baseball storyline any more.

Susan's story was frustrating. While I know she still has deep feelings for Mike, to cut things off with her new friend before finding out everything she could about Mike was just dumb.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: October 15, 2006, 08:24:18 PM »

BROTHERS & SISTERS had a little bit too much pontificating for my taste tonight. Every character got to have this BIG, MAJOR SPEECH to reveal feelings and emotions, and it just seemed to be laid on a bit too thickly.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: October 15, 2006, 08:26:35 PM »

I watched LAS VEGAS the first year it was on. It is NOT high drama, but more of a guilty pleasure for those who like pretty women, paper-thin plotting, and glitzy Vegas surroundings (though mostly filmed in LA, of course).

I left it behind some time ago, but I can see that there is room on the TV schedule for this kind of cotton candy for people who don't want to think too much.

Cillaliz

« Reply #130 on: October 15, 2006, 08:28:29 PM »

Whew! What a weekend. I spent 5 hours working on the yard today.  It's wonderful to have a corner lot and lots of trees....that is until they start falling!  I still have some winterizing to do, but I should have time to do it.   Next weekend Paul has agreed to paint my bomb shelter to look like the stone on my chimney and the front porch. It will be great.

Cillaliz

« Reply #131 on: October 15, 2006, 08:29:51 PM »

Today I used my leaf blower/mulcher/vacuum. It's really quite an invention and I'd like to thank the person who invented it. I can take what would be 8 containers full of leaves and after mulching it fits in 1 container.  I found that most wonderful.

Edisaurus

« Reply #132 on: October 15, 2006, 08:38:45 PM »

Paul has agreed to paint my bomb shelter to look like the stone on my chimney and the front porch. It will be great.

Are we talking A bombs or H bombs?
How many kilotons is it built to withstand? You may have to bring in Der Brucer as a consultant!

Edisaurus

« Reply #133 on: October 15, 2006, 08:40:49 PM »

Today I used my leaf blower/mulcher/vacuum. It's really quite an invention and I'd like to thank the person who invented it. I can take what would be 8 containers full of leaves and after mulching it fits in 1 container.  I found that most wonderful.

I REALLY want one of those. Greg thinks leaf blowers are invented by Satan to make his job as a soundman more difficult. So they are verboten in our household. :-(

MBarnum

« Reply #134 on: October 15, 2006, 08:45:19 PM »

Oh, my gosh! I did not know such a thing existed!

Guess who will be going to Lowe's tomorrow! Any recommendations, please to let me know!

Matt H.

« Reply #135 on: October 15, 2006, 08:46:47 PM »

I'm heading off to bed now.

Good night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #136 on: October 15, 2006, 08:53:37 PM »

Oh, my gosh! I did not know such a thing existed!

Guess who will be going to Lowe's tomorrow! Any recommendations, please to let me know!

Mine is just a Toro. Here it is on Amazon  http://www.amazon.com/Toro-51573-Rake-Vac/dp/B000059MT2/ref=pd_sbs_hi_2/002-1895246-9987228?ie=UTF8  I think I got it for $59.  It's on the lower end of the line but it works great. You blow all the leaves into a pile, switch to vacuum and it shreds and puts into the handy dandy bag on your shoulder. They you just unzip the bag and dump it into a container. No raking,

Cillaliz

« Reply #137 on: October 15, 2006, 09:03:58 PM »

The next two days will be quite interesting at the office. Things were not pretty last week, no not pretty at all. Not exactly sure why, but it seems to happen when ever I've been gone.  I have things that should go smoothly in the next two days, pleas that should be all finalized - but aren't quite there.  So, I will be glad when the first two days of this week are over..

Cillaliz

« Reply #138 on: October 15, 2006, 09:04:50 PM »

There is one very bright spot, however, tomorrow night I will be with 3 friends in the second row at the Orpheum to see The Smothers Brothers...can't wait for that

Cillaliz

« Reply #139 on: October 15, 2006, 09:11:22 PM »

My dryer just buzzed. I'm off to fold the last load and go to sleep. Night

Edisaurus

« Reply #140 on: October 15, 2006, 09:15:53 PM »

Mine is just a Toro. Here it is on Amazon

I am greedy. This is what I want:
http://snipurl.com/sucker

And it's built by Cowboy Troy!

But I will keep repeating this mantra: Happiness is wanting what you have. In my case, a rake.

FJL

« Reply #141 on: October 15, 2006, 09:21:15 PM »

The Smothers Brothers went to the same high school as Skip in Redondo Beach.   They had a ceremony last year for the 100 Most Distinguished Alumni for the school's 100-year history, and there on the list were the Smothers Brothers, opera star Carol Neblit, presidents of major corporations, and Skip.  Skip felt very honored to be part of that.

Edisaurus

« Reply #142 on: October 15, 2006, 09:23:35 PM »

the Smothers Brothers, opera star Carol Neblit, presidents of major corporations, and Skip.  Skip felt very honored to be part of that.

Go Skip! (Mom always liked him best!)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: October 15, 2006, 09:25:56 PM »

Well, I've worked with two alums - Carol Neblit and Skip.

FJL

« Reply #144 on: October 15, 2006, 09:33:59 PM »

I had a fun conversation with Carol Neblit one night when she was waiting for Skip to come to the phone.  She heard I did taxes and told me about how the IRS had tried to apply the Dinah Shore rule (only deduct dresses you can't sit down in, a rule which made the IRS not one of Ms. Shore's very best friends) in terms of her being able to deduct the special dresses she had bought specifically for performances.  They did allow Ms. Neblit to deduct a dress she bought especially to meet the President at the White House, though.

FJL

« Reply #145 on: October 15, 2006, 09:36:21 PM »

So Bk has worked with two people for whom the iRS tried to invoke the Dinah Shore rule.

FJL

« Reply #146 on: October 15, 2006, 09:41:31 PM »

Tried to find the "Dinah Shore rule" on google, but it led me to stuff about "When Dinah Shore Ruled the Earth."  But "Dinah Shore ruling" led me to:

Dinah Shore Ruling

Dinah Shore once attempted to claim several dresses as business expense deductions, prompting the IRS to investigate. Shore insisted that the gowns had only been worn onstage during public appearances. In what has come to be known as the "Dinah Shore ruling," the IRS decreed that a dress may be deducted as a professional expense - but only if it is too tight to sit down in!

Edisaurus

« Reply #147 on: October 15, 2006, 09:43:01 PM »

Greg arrived home bearing lots of fireworks (illegal in Georgia) including some of my favorites: Frying Saucer, (not a typo) Friendship Pagoda, Hen Laying Egg, etc. And plenty of bottle rockets to shoot at the bulldozers destroying the woods behind our house. I'm a happy [pyromaniac] camper!

Edisaurus

« Reply #148 on: October 15, 2006, 09:44:35 PM »

the IRS decreed that a dress may be deducted as a professional expense - but only if it is too tight to sit down in!

I have a lot of dresses like that. I really should update my wardrobe.

Edisaurus

« Reply #149 on: October 15, 2006, 09:49:37 PM »

Someone's in the tar pit with Dinah...
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up