Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: FRENCHING  (Read 62834 times)

FJL

Re:FRENCHING
« Reply #150 on: April 19, 2007, 10:23:21 AM »

And one for Models

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #151 on: April 19, 2007, 10:23:42 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - LOL!  It makes perfect sense.  I suppose I may be doing that unconsciously.  Or perhaps it's just a severe HHW addiction (what might I be missing?).  But generally I like to be in bed by 9:00 PM, and I generally rise at 4:00 AM.

That's what I remembered from our conversations.  You definitely did not come across as a nightowl to me.  But one never knows, do one?
Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #152 on: April 19, 2007, 10:24:08 AM »

In you honor I just lunched on a Brie & Baked Ham with slicced green olives on toasted roll.

I am honored, indeed.   :)

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #153 on: April 19, 2007, 10:25:24 AM »

Ricardo, or van Pelt?

No  Albanese!

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

FJL

« Reply #154 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:03 AM »

Jose - Interesting - both times I saw LEGALLY BLONDE were during its first week of NYC previews.  

Wonder what they've been changing.

singdaw

« Reply #155 on: April 19, 2007, 10:26:17 AM »

I suspect you would find Nun at the Abbey.

Perhaps you are right.  I was thinking of olde England, where many ruins called ____ Abbey were actually monasteries.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #156 on: April 19, 2007, 10:28:22 AM »

Perhaps you are right.  I was thinking of olde England, where many ruins called ____ Abbey were actually monasteries.

Ah, the "get thee to a Nunnery" times.

der Brucer

singdaw

« Reply #157 on: April 19, 2007, 10:29:18 AM »

But one never knows, do one?

;D

Mysterious things can happen at HHW!

singdaw

« Reply #158 on: April 19, 2007, 10:30:13 AM »

Ah, the "get thee to a Nunnery" times.

Yes, when DR MBarnum was just a wee thing.    :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #159 on: April 19, 2007, 10:31:08 AM »

DR FJL - Something to think about for later...  Or possibly now...  If you and Larry don't come up for next Wednesday's matinee, what day (well, night) would be good for you?  Right now, I think next Saturday is almost sold out.

-We could all take the 5:48, 6:12 or 6:29PM train up, and then cab it to the theatre.  And then take the 10:45PM train back.  (It gets back to GCT at 11:52PM.)

Or if you wanted to head up earlier, I'm guessing we could arrange for a dinner with DR singdaw too.  And possibly avoid the Peak Fare too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: April 19, 2007, 10:32:26 AM »

No  Albanese!

der Brucer

Well, technically, that's "Licia".  Which is closer to "Lisa", than "Lucia".
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: April 19, 2007, 10:33:03 AM »

Ah, now I want to listen to Follies: In Concert again.

-And just what is Erie Mills up to nowadays?
Make Your Own Luck.

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #162 on: April 19, 2007, 10:33:08 AM »

Ricardo, or van Pelt?

HA! Ricardo. :)

As a general rule, we do try to indicate **SPOILER** before posting such information.  I myself am about 6 episodes behind on Lost.

Yeah, this post did not observe that particular rule. But I guess there's no way to completely avoid spoilers.

FYI, I currently watch Lost, Desperate Housewives, L&O Special Victims Unit, Grey's Anatomy, Gilmore Girls, The Shield, The Office, 30 Rock, Scrubs, Boston Legal, Without a Trace, The Simpsons, Monk and, of course, Idol.

Favorite TV shows of the past include Lost, Arrested Development, Everwood, Monty Python, Mr. Show, Kids in the Hall, NYPD Blue, Columbo, Seinfeld, Larry Sanders, West Wing, The Prisoner, Little Britain, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Mary Tyler Moore, Taxi, and my favorite TV show ever, Sports Night.

Good lord...I've wasted my life!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #163 on: April 19, 2007, 10:36:09 AM »

Jose - Interesting - both times I saw LEGALLY BLONDE were during its first week of NYC previews.  

Wonder what they've been changing.

Well, a friend of mine who also saw it during the first week of previews is seeing it again tonight.  Once I get the report from him...
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 10:39:08 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #164 on: April 19, 2007, 10:38:44 AM »

DR Jane - If Keith's Aunt and cousin don't object to some risque humor, I'd recommend Spelling Bee.  And if they don't object to some really risque humor, I'd suggest Avenue Q.  -And even though it may not be the "original", I still think the current revival of A Chorus Line is dependable - if they haven't seen it before.  Oh, and Spamalot is still running.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #165 on: April 19, 2007, 10:40:54 AM »

Or the Abbeys in gay old Italy (See "The Name of the Rose")

der Brucer

And get a look at Christian Slater - ALL of him!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #166 on: April 19, 2007, 10:44:31 AM »

FYI, I currently watch

FYI - around here The Closer is required viewing!
(And if you want to be friends with Geoge or Woody, Dr. Who)

der Brucer

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #167 on: April 19, 2007, 10:46:01 AM »

It was probably me spoiling the fun. I don't watch much tv, so I never think to put "Spoiler" in my post when I do happen to catch some tv news.

And I guess I always figure that since I am on California time now, the show has aired all over the US by the time I hear about it.

Sorry!!
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #168 on: April 19, 2007, 10:46:52 AM »

Jane, I have only seen one current Broadway show, so I am no help to you! I would think Spamalot, though.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #169 on: April 19, 2007, 10:48:54 AM »

Re the drywall man:

He came while I was at the lab, and he only came to take a look and give an estimate.

Grrr.

We have family coming this weekend, and we had hoped the bathroom would be done by now. Now it appears someone has to stay home from the weekend festivities for the workman. Grrrrrrr.

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #170 on: April 19, 2007, 10:49:14 AM »

FYI - around here The Closer is required viewing!
(And if you want to be friends with Geoge or Woody, Dr. Who)

Great...cuz I'm not watching enough TV already! ;)

As for Dr. Who, I am not sure my heart can stand all of the high-tech special effects on that show.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #171 on: April 19, 2007, 10:50:08 AM »

It was probably me spoiling the fun. I don't watch much tv, so I never think to put "Spoiler" in my post when I do happen to catch some tv news.

And I guess I always figure that since I am on California time now, the show has aired all over the US by the time I hear about it.

Sorry!!

I, for one, was disappointed to stumble across a plot point I'd much rather have "seen" for myself.  But that was for a show that had not yet aired here in California...I was doing some posting -- killing time until the show aired -- and someone who had seen it spilled a major bean...without warning.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:02:25 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

singdaw

« Reply #172 on: April 19, 2007, 10:50:51 AM »

Right now, I think next Saturday is almost sold out.

I had planned to be at Yale that evening for Britten's War Requiem, but I might just have to change my plans if dinner with ya'll that evening would be a possibility...    :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #173 on: April 19, 2007, 10:52:01 AM »

DR Jane - If Keith's Aunt and cousin don't object to some risque humor, I'd recommend Spelling Bee.  And if they don't object to some really risque humor, I'd suggest Avenue Q.  -And even though it may not be the "original", I still think the current revival of A Chorus Line is dependable - if they haven't seen it before.  Oh, and Spamalot is still running.

This production of "A Chorus Line" is THRILLING!  I saw it here in San Francisco prior to its opening on Broadway.  I only had the movie (ugh!) to compare it to.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ben

« Reply #174 on: April 19, 2007, 10:52:46 AM »

Warning, long post ahead.

Jane, here are some random thoughts on what's playing on Broadway right now:

110 in the Shade-It's not a fun, laughing musical comedy but it's one of my favorite shows and it's got a score with some beautiful songs. I would recommend it even though I haven't seen it yet.

25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee-This is a fun show (with some adult humor though not crass or unpleasant)

A Chorus Line-Tickets are available and they would probably like it.

Avenue Q-I love this show but there is some "racy" humor and political stuff that may offend some people. I recommend it because I love it but it's not for everyone

Beauty and the Beast-It's closing in July. It's a little too long but for Disney's first foray into live musical theatre I think they did a good job (in spite of the director)

Chicago-I don't think this is what Keith's Aunt and Cousin are looking for (not that I'm saying it's bad, I just don't know if Chicago is right for them)

Coast of Utopia-Not recommened. Not because it's bad (I haven't seen any of the three parts) but based on my knowledge of the productions, it's too heavy for a night in the theatre

The Color Purple-Not "fun" in the fun sense. It's a show with problems but I found much of it quite moving and excellent. I don't know how it will be now with Fantasia in the lead (I know that sounds disparaging but I'm not a fan of stunt casting and though she can sing, this role calls for deep, intense performance, not just hyper Idol singing)

Company-UGH!!!

Coram Boy-Definitely not fun. Not bad if you want an epic theatre experience but it's not a funny night in the theatre

Curtains-I would recommend Curtains

Deuce-UGH again

The Drowsy Chaperone-You know that I love this show and recommend it to all

Frost/Nixon-While this does not fall into the "fun" category it is brilliant and I recommend it to anyone who loves good theatre

Grey Gardens-Again, I love this show (there are just as many who don't, including a dear friend who left after Act the First) but it's not for everyone and I don't classify it as "fun"

Hairspray-This is a fun show. I haven't seen it for a long time so I don't know how it's holding up but it was great when I saw it

Inherit The Wind-Not one of your classic fun shows. I hear it's quite good but I haven't seen it yet

Jersey Boys-If they can get tickets, I would recommend it

Journey's End-Takes place in a trench during World War I. I hear it's brilliant. I will try to see it next week since I can't imagine how much longer it will run with approximately 35% average attendance

Legally Blonde-Fred (FJL) thinks it is a lot of fun. Word of mouth is good and I do want to see it. I enjoyed the movie more than I thought I would so I would give this a try

Les Mis-Not "fun" but now that Daphne Ruben-Vega is out of the show it's better. If they have seen it before, there won't be much new. It will be like watching the movie version

The Lion King-It does not reside high on my list of good shows but many people see it and enjoy it mightily so if they can get tickets (they most likely can) they may like it

LoveMusik-You need to be a Kurt Weill fan and again, not a "fun" show

Mamma Mia-I wouldn't recommend it but I have friends whom I respect who saw it and loved it. It is a "fun" show and if they are Abba fans they may enjoy themselves

Mary Poppins-I can recommend it. I honestly enjoyed it. It's not great musical theatre but there is a lot to enjoy

Moon for the Misbegotten-Not for a fun night in the theatre!

Phantom of the Opera-If they like the show it might be fun for them to see it on Broadway. I don't recommend it to people because I'm not a fan but I'm not the grand arbiter of good and bad either

The Pirate Queen-If they like Michael Flatley and Lord of the Dance mixed with Irish history then they might enjoy it. If stomping on the stage with heavy feet and ship oars makes them cringe, then stay away

Prelude to a Kiss-Not a fun show. I did like it very much but I don't think I would recommend it for someone looking for light fare

The Producers-It closes Sunday so that's out

Rent-I would say no. I need my hearing and the music is SO LOUD that I came out with a headache

Spamalot-If either is a fan of Monty Python then they should see the show. It, like the Producers, is NOT the best thing in musical theatre since Oklahoma, but it is a crass, funny and well-done take on a Monty Python movie.

Spring Awakening-Nope. Not because I think it's bad or good, I just don't think Keith's Aunt would like to see German expressionism and teenage angst set to a modern rock score

Talk Radio-Not recommended based on the subject matter. A dark look at the slow descent of a talk radio host

Tarzan-There are some breathtaking moments, especially the beginning shipwreck sequence but the entire evening was rather flat and boring. As I said in my BBC review, it's more like a theme park ride than a Broadway Musical

Wicked-I think the book is much, much better than the show but I have to look at them as two different animals and Wicked is good theatre in the sense that most people leave the show happy and humming. It has done the job it set out to do, I believe.

The Year of Magical Thinking-If they like Vanessa Redgrave and can get a ticket, yes. It's a one-person show based on Joan Didion's book by the same name about her recovery from the unexpected death of her husband. The play has been expanded to include the aftermath of the death of her daughter a short time after the death of her husband. No, it's not "fun"

And that, dear Nursie, is a quick look at what's playing on Broadway. My opinions are just that, my opinions. Some shows I like more than others and while there are shows I wouldn't recommend (because I don't like them) I would never disparage another's choice of show to see or like.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: April 19, 2007, 10:54:27 AM »

I had planned to be at Yale that evening for Britten's War Requiem, but I might just have to change my plans if dinner with ya'll that evening would be a possibility...    :)

Oh, well, what I meant to say is that getting tickets to next Saturday night's (possible) closing performance is probably not likely.  However, any other night next week still seems like an option.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #176 on: April 19, 2007, 10:55:33 AM »

Aw, thanks! That's swell.

Waaaaaaah! [That's my Lucy impersonation] One of our DRs spoiled the shocking conclusion of last night's "American Idol" for me. (Memo to self: Watch the darn show when it airs!) No hard feelings -- I'm so happy about the results I would probably have shouted it from the rooftops myself!

Was this MY fault?  I posted the HALLELUJAH, but made no reference to Idol or any names.  Still, it might have tipped you off....if so, I'm terribly sorry.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #177 on: April 19, 2007, 10:57:56 AM »

Re the drywall man:

He came while I was at the lab, and he only came to take a look and give an estimate.

Grrr.

We have family coming this weekend, and we had hoped the bathroom would be done by now. Now it appears someone has to stay home from the weekend festivities for the workman. Grrrrrrr.

My dear, you just don't understand the modern world:

You are a CUSTOMER
He is a SERVICE PROVIDER

The role of CUSTOMER is to provide whatever is required by the SERVICE PROVIDER.

The CUSTOMER must pay the SERVICE PROVIDER and thank him/her profusely for service some-what rendered.

der Brucer

BrettySpaghetti

• The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #178 on: April 19, 2007, 10:58:30 AM »

Company-UGH!!!

Can you elaborate?

If I could see one show on Broadway right now, it'd be 110 in the Shade. I don't know the score (yet), but the songs from Lost in Boston were magical. If those were an indication of how good the non-cut songs are, it's gotta be great.

MBarnum

« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2007, 10:58:31 AM »

DR MBarnum - Have you ever been to The Abbey?

Oohh... Maybe you should see if you can get a reservation at Mark's for next week.  I think you'd like the dining experience there.  -And the food is pretty good too.  ;)

I have not heard of either place, Jose.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 16   Go Up