Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Down

Author Topic: FRENCHING  (Read 62833 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:FRENCHING
« Reply #180 on: April 19, 2007, 11:01:49 AM »

This production of "A Chorus Line" is THRILLING!  I saw it here in San Francisco prior to its opening on Broadway.  I only had the movie (ugh!) to compare it to.

I would have liked to this current production out in San Francisco.  When it was on a larger stage.  I heard - and saw - that some of the choreography had to be modified when the show came to New York due to the difference in the stage dimensions.  The "line" just fits from edge of the proscenium arch to the other - they had a bit more "side room" in San Fran.  And since the stage is not as deep here in NYC, they've been having a problem with the dancers kicking - and cracking - the mirrors when they head upstage.

*And I have to say, I'm very curious to see the show in July after all the one-year contracts are up.  Who stays.  Who goes.  Who comes in.  -And that line just keeps on kicking.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:02:56 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #181 on: April 19, 2007, 11:05:18 AM »

Page Seven Dance

Make Your Own Luck.

singdaw

« Reply #182 on: April 19, 2007, 11:06:41 AM »

DR MBarnum...graceful as a gazelle in...well, just as a gazelle.

Takes all the ribbing and stays above the fray!     :)

Love ya!

singdaw

« Reply #183 on: April 19, 2007, 11:07:33 AM »

DR JoseSPiano:  we are still on for next Wed the 25th [PM], correct?
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:07:46 AM by singdaw »

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #184 on: April 19, 2007, 11:09:00 AM »

I am thinking I should plant more flowers.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #185 on: April 19, 2007, 11:10:15 AM »

My dear, you just don't understand the modern world:

You are a CUSTOMER
He is a SERVICE PROVIDER

The role of CUSTOMER is to provide whatever is required by the SERVICE PROVIDER.

The CUSTOMER must pay the SERVICE PROVIDER and thank him/her profusely for service some-what rendered.

der Brucer

Yes, they seem to think so.

singdaw

« Reply #186 on: April 19, 2007, 11:10:22 AM »

I am thinking I should plant more flowers.

That sounds infinitely better than either painting OR paperwork!   :)

singdaw

« Reply #187 on: April 19, 2007, 11:10:48 AM »

DR JoseSPiano, when might you hear about the possible extension?

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #188 on: April 19, 2007, 11:10:56 AM »

I KNOW! Perhaps I will go to the butterfly exhibit and force you kind people to look at photos!

MBarnum

« Reply #189 on: April 19, 2007, 11:11:20 AM »

I've been ribbed by the best of 'em, DR Singday! LOL!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #190 on: April 19, 2007, 11:11:33 AM »

That sounds infinitely better than either painting OR paperwork!   :)

Oh, yeah. Painting and paperwork. And I have a powerpoint and a bulletin to do for this weekend.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:12:09 AM by DearReaderLaura »

MBarnum

« Reply #191 on: April 19, 2007, 11:12:07 AM »

As long as they are live butterflys, then I will be more then pleased to look at the photos DearReaderLaura!!

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #192 on: April 19, 2007, 11:13:38 AM »

As long as they are live butterflys, then I will be more then pleased to look at the photos DearReaderLaura!!

Always live! There is no other kind that is fun to photograph.

I should have some in my own yard soon. Lots of caterpillars, and I've seen an adult flitting around the passionvine.

MBarnum

« Reply #193 on: April 19, 2007, 11:14:32 AM »

DR BrettySpaghetti, I must have missed the link to your blog.

We (well, many of us) are a TV lovin' crowd..although you get points deleted for not having GILLIGAN'S ISLAND or MR ED on your list.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #194 on: April 19, 2007, 11:16:25 AM »

In any case... I do like the current revival of A Chorus Line.  There are some amazingly talented people on that stage.  -I'm looking forward to seeing Mara Davi when she goes into The Drowsy Chaperon.

Oh, and there's also Tyler Hanes as Larry...  <swoon>
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #195 on: April 19, 2007, 11:16:54 AM »

I miss seeing caterpillars...when I lived in Medford they would be all over the milkweed spinning their little coccoons...but up here I see none.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #196 on: April 19, 2007, 11:18:31 AM »

I have not heard of either place, Jose.

Well... Get thee a Damron Guide.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #197 on: April 19, 2007, 11:18:32 AM »

Jose is getting extensions? (Must be the Sanjaya influence)

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #198 on: April 19, 2007, 11:19:02 AM »

WOW!  DR’S FJL, Jose, Ron & Ben-Thank you for all the info on the plays.  I’m sure it will be very helpful.

Now I need to return to booking a flight.  Craig took so long (and he is still waiting for confirmation on the dog) the prices keep going up.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #199 on: April 19, 2007, 11:19:08 AM »

DR JoseSPiano:  we are still on for next Wed the 25th [PM], correct?

Yep.  I should get the confirmation tonight when I arrive at the theatre.
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #200 on: April 19, 2007, 11:19:10 AM »

One cannot produce a bulletin nor a powerpoint when one has not received any information from the worship leader, can one?

So I say -- to the BUTTERFLIES!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #201 on: April 19, 2007, 11:21:03 AM »

We're all wondering about that too.  Technically, under most Equity contracts, we're supposed to receive word on an extension 30 days before the announced closing date.  But since we're not even running 30 days...  My guess - and others - is that we will have to be informed of the extension by the COB this Saturday.  One week's notice.
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #202 on: April 19, 2007, 11:22:35 AM »

(and he is still waiting for confirmation on the dog)

What church confirms dogs?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #203 on: April 19, 2007, 11:22:53 AM »

Well, I promised myself yesterday that I would attempt to get some cleaning and straightening up done in my room.  It really is quite the organized mess right now.  Emphasis on the mess.  And since I've been "procrastinating" over the past couple of hours...  Well... ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DearReaderLaura

« Reply #204 on: April 19, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »

I miss seeing caterpillars...when I lived in Medford they would be all over the milkweed spinning their little coccoons...but up here I see none.

MBarnum, you might check into planting some caterpillar host plants in your lovely yard. Then you'd have caterpillars and butterflies.

Ben

« Reply #205 on: April 19, 2007, 11:25:14 AM »

Can you elaborate?

If I could see one show on Broadway right now, it'd be 110 in the Shade. I don't know the score (yet), but the songs from Lost in Boston were magical. If those were an indication of how good the non-cut songs are, it's gotta be great.

Sure, although first let me say that Simple Little Things, A Man and a Woman and Old Maid (the closing moment of Act 1) from 110 are three of my favorite songs. I can cry at Simple Little Things.

Although I knew Sondheim shows before I heard Company, when I did hear the score for the first time (in 1970 with the famous purple cast album cover) I fell in love. I've seen the show many times and while not all were good (and I do have trouble with the book) I never left any of them with the annoyance and anger I felt after I saw Company. I am not at all opposed to reinterpretations of musicals. A theatre piece is not like a movie and it will be different (usually) every time it's done. My problem with Company is the concept of stripping it down to practically nothing and having the actors play instruments as well as perform. It worked better for me in Sweeney Todd but it didn't work AT ALL (IMHO) for Company. Doyle's (the director) concept destroyed any cohesion in the script and his staging was abominable. There were directorial choices that made no sense. I know this was part of his concept but not one actor looked at another actor when they were speaking. There was ridiculous mime, including eating and drinking. The Judo scene, which can be very funny, was dreadful. The actors/musicians were more musician than actor (Sorry, Jose, I'm not dissing musicians). Most were making their Broadway debuts (with a few exceptions) and it looked like it. There were even good people in the show who came off badly. I like Barbara Walsh, I really do. She was great in Falsettos and I liked her in Big. Her Joanne in Company did not work. Her drunk scene before Ladies Who Lunch was out of College Acting. I didn't believe for a second that she was drunk. She was indicating all over the stage. Also having her play the triangle was a new level of stupidity, IMHO. Everyone in the show was supposed to play an instrument. She, obviously, didn't play an instrument, so she got to play the triangle. It's like the stupidity of Patti LuPone playing the tuba in Sweeney. Lots of people thought it was a great joke but I thought it was ridiculous. She hadn't played since Marching Band in high school and it was an abysmal sight gag, nothing more. Oh, and when LuPone wasn't playing the tuba or singing or acting, she playe "the triangle"

This has turned into an unexpected rant and I apologize for that but Company pushes some buttons in me because this particular production has been praised as being brilliant and cutting edge and a whole new way to look at the show. Those of us who don't like it are often accused of "not getting it". One poster (not here on HHW) actually said that people who didn't like the show probably didn't have enough "life experience" to understand the show. Others have said things like "you just want carbon copies of the show with no thought" None of that is true. Believe me I got the show. I just didn't like it. I think the reason I got/get so rankled when talking about  this show is because I really love it and I think this concept did nothing to make it a better show. We have to bring in new audiences to keep musical theatre alive. Spring Awakening is a good example. But you don't have to destroy old shows as a way of bringing in new people.

I hope this stripping down concept has reached the end of the run. I know that John Doyle is scheduled to do a production of Merrily We Roll Along (another Sondheim show with a problematic book and a wonderful score) in England later this year. There is no word yet if he will do it with actor/musicians. One can only hope not. When word came out that he would be doing Merrily some wag said, "what's he going to do this time, make them play the music backwards as well?"

If you don't know Merrily, the show takes place in reverse time. It begins in the "present" and we watch the characters move back in time from adults to high school.

Enough already (aren't you sorry you asked  ;))

I will now get back to work and leave you with the thought that I am not a cranky old man, I just get vehement about some things, and hey, you asked me to elaborate!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #206 on: April 19, 2007, 11:25:23 AM »

One cannot produce a bulletin nor a powerpoint when one has not received any information from the worship leader, can one?

So I say -- to the BUTTERFLIES!

Take the worship leader to the woodshed - that's what I say!

der Brucer

(Unless of course you have "suspicions" about said leader....)

BrettySpaghetti

• Insert hilarious quip here
    • The Blog Ate My Gun
« Reply #207 on: April 19, 2007, 11:31:56 AM »

I have spent the last week or so listening to Wonderful Town (the Donna Murphy version). This is my first exposure to it, and I wasn't crazy about the score. I chose it because my best friend is doing a local version up in San Jose this summer (as Wreck), and also West Side Story was my very first musical love. Unfortunately, Wonderful Town shows a much jazzier/swingy side of Leonard Bernstein that I didn't much care for. There are some very pretty ballads, and a couple of other cool things, but overall I was disappointed. (Do most people here love it?)

Yesterday I began "drilling" a new OCR into my head: Is There Life After High School? This one is much more to my liking; even though the production efforts are considerably fewer, I'm finding it full of hummable tunes. I chose this one because it got a five-star review in The Theatermania Guide to Musical Theater Recordings.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #208 on: April 19, 2007, 11:32:57 AM »

Q: Am I out of my mind?
A:  Yes

Enjoy it while it lasts!!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #209 on: April 19, 2007, 11:33:49 AM »

Doyle's (the director) concept...

Not a concept, a "conceit" - a wretched, lamentable, self-indulgent conceit!

der Brucer
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 16   Go Up