Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Down

Author Topic: THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING OSCAR  (Read 41426 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING OSCAR
« on: February 26, 2005, 11:59:09 PM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've dressed for Oscar, Oscar has dressed for you, and now it is time for you to post until the cows come home, which will be directly after the Barbara Walters special.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 11:59:26 PM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE IMPORTANCE OF BEING OSCAR
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2005, 12:01:09 AM »

And the word of the day is SARSAPARILLA!

An amazing word in that it looks nothing like it's pronounced.  It is, of course, pronounced SASPARILLA!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2005, 12:15:30 AM »

Good Morning!

Sorry I was sitting there like so much fish "yesterday", but I had actually drifted off for a bit.  Nice nap.

So, for the Oscar telecast, will the East Coast DRs need to be vague and spoiler-free with our Oscar posts?  Or shall we post to our heart's desire?

???

Is rain predicted again for tomorrow in LA? It was interesting seeing all the preparations they were making for the the awards ceremony - and the contingency plans just in case of rain.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2005, 12:17:00 AM »

Hmmm....  I always loved a good SARSAPARILLA at Farrell's. That or a Green River.

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2005, 12:35:44 AM »

Well, it's bedtime for this Haitian dog.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2005, 12:36:14 AM »

Is it tape delay?  I thought we got it at six and you got it at nine - therefore aren't we all watching at the same time?

Well, since I'm the only one here, I suppose I'll toddle off to the bedroom environment.  You people pick the oddest times to be in absentia.

SARSAPARILLA!

And onward towards 100,000 postings.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2005, 01:34:09 AM »

Tonight The Lovely Wife and I watched two motion picture entertainments.  The first was TROY.  I had hopes.  They were, for the most part, dashed.  A rather prosaic and bland film for such a great subject.  It makes hash of the myth.  I don't necessarily object to revisionist versions of ancient yarns like these...but there's got to be a reason and it should be somewhat as compelling as the original.  This was not.  The dialogue careened from preteniously portentious to banal.   While I have nothing against Brad Pitt, I did not find him particularly good in the role of Achilles.  The actress who played Helen looked like a valley-girl who should have been working at a Hot-Dog-On-A-Stick place in the mall with a one of those tall multi-coloured hats atop her blonde locks.  What made matters worse is that the striking Saffron Burrows played Andromache and would have been a much better choice for Helen. She would have also had the maturity to handle the part. When you saw her in scenes with Helen,she was by far the more beautiful and the much better actress.  But then a lot of actors could have used a bit more maturity.  It was all a bit like little boys playing at war.  I'm tired of see boys playing the roles of men.  

And it had one remarkably botched shot.  You see the Trojans  warriors amassed before the gates of Troy.  You see them scanning the stretch of sand that leads to the ocean, there is a ridge in the sand that dips down, obscuring their view.  You keep scanning faces as they watch as they listen, waiting for the Greeks to appear.  You hear the tromp of feet, you see spirals of sandy dust wafting up behind the ridge.  Naturally, you're expecting the whole Greek army to suddenly appear over that rise, giving your first spectacle of just how big the Greek force is...but what do you get?  A cutaway shot from the other side of the ridge, where you see Greeks getting into format and marching forward..not the massive shot that they had led you to believe was coming...

It was kind of like an "A" production of an old Italian Sons of Hercules programmer. In fact, those Sons of Hercules movies were more fun.  They had no pretensions and knew they were cheesy.

The second movie was a quiet little joy called THE STATION AGENT.

BK, alas, alack!  I will not be able to go to the show next week.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 01:38:33 AM by Charles Pogue »

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2005, 01:39:16 AM »

I'm doing the huckle-buck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2005, 02:04:04 AM »

Well Brad Pitt is "mite-guy" right now - so TROY passed.  Like DR CP, I was a bit non-plussed at the way the story was told.  But it was okay on TV on DVD.

I got my SPIDERMAN 2 DVD that I won from Game Show Network back in early December!  Finally.

So - I think red carpet coverage starts at 6 pm here in the east.  Are we watching E! or are we watching Joan on TV GUIDE channel?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2005, 02:07:39 AM »

DR RODZINSKI - damn damn damn!  Another site with about two dozen CD's that I want and cannot afford.....grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.  Arch Hall Jr LIVE at a Pasadena drive in.  That's living!

What a nice crowd of people at the dinner last night, MR BK.  Hmmmm those are the kinds of friends and acquaintances to have.

MBARNUM interviewed Miss Sara Shane in Australia on Friday night and passed her email address onto me after mentioning my name to her.  She was a great friend of MISS ALLISON HAYES and she had some things to say about Allison and her doctors and the FDA.  It was a bit depressing, but I was happy to talk to someone who knew her.  Miss Sara Shane was the lovely blonde girl in the speedboat with Rock Hudson in MAGNIFICENT OBSESSION among other films.

DRJANE great news about Bogie!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2005, 02:10:57 AM »

MR BK I hope you know that Betty Lou Gerson who played Greta in the movie you watched last night would ten years later be the voice of Cruella deVille in 101 DALMATIANS!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2005, 02:56:38 AM »

So, for the Oscar telecast, will the East Coast DRs need to be vague and spoiler-free with our Oscar posts?  Or shall we post to our heart's desire?
Those of us on the East Coast are ALWAYS vague.  You live here, Jose, you should know that.
Is rain predicted again for tomorrow in LA? It was interesting seeing all the preparations they were making for the the awards ceremony - and the contingency plans just in case of rain.
Weather predictions are for clear skies.  Drat, wouldn't'cha love to see Joan Rivers drenched from the top of her latest facelift down to the tips her toes (which have probably also been lifted)?  As it is, the entrance to the Kodak Theater is covered for about half a block or so, so the stars in their gowns won't have to worry quite so much about getting wet.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2005, 03:01:32 AM »

Is it tape delay?  I thought we got it at six and you got it at nine - therefore aren't we all watching at the same time?
That's what I thought.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2005, 03:13:26 AM »

SARSAPARILLA!

Glorious stuff, it is!

Mom was generally down on soft drinks when I was growing up.  She didn't even like KoolAid.  She thought they had too much sugar in them.

One of the exceptions was ginger-ale.  She allowed that for us to drink when we were sick.  Why I don't connect the taste of ginger-ale with being ill is one of the wonders of the modern universe.  I still love the stuff.

Sarsaparilla was another exception.  Somehow she was able to get some sarsaparilla syrup, and thus introduced me to this wonderful flavor.  I'd put a teaspoon or two in my glass, then add seltzer water from the rechargable jug.  For anyone who is not familiar with sarsaparilla but is familiar with root beer...well, they really are NOT the same thing at all.

Something I had never had before coming to Delaware is birch beer.  It's got quite the tangy taste, too!  But I don't see these flavors becoming popular until they are offered at McDonald's, and McDonald's doesn't serve foods or drinks that have true flavor.  McDonald's is evil.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2005, 03:20:31 AM »

Has there been any word as yet as to what Wolfgang Puck will be serving the revelers at the Governor's Ball after the award presentation ceremony?  

I'm sure he won't be serving anything as nice as what I have planned for der Brucer and myself tonight.  We found a very nice boneless leg of lamb which I will be roasting, along with root vegetables and red rose potatoes.  I've already got the bottle of wine, a Beaujolais-Villages Nouveau, chilling in the crisper.   :D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2005, 03:24:29 AM »

Birch beer sounds a bit like Vernor's which I love to drink, now and then.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2005, 03:35:51 AM »

And, for those who care not a whit for the Oscars, the Razzies have been awarded!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2005, 03:36:42 AM »

JRand, why are we up at this hour?  And together!!!  People will talk!!!!!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2005, 03:41:25 AM »

I don't know.  I had to write something for a website and wanted to get it done early.  Whew!

Now I am going to watch a movie.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2005, 03:41:46 AM »

Let 'em talk.  There is no such thing as bad publicity.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2005, 04:07:48 AM »

I did a little digging, and here's what Wolfgang has in store:
My team and I will be in the middle of our hectic preparations for the huge Governors Ball that each year follows the awards ceremony. The menu will feature such hors d'oeuvres as roasted new potatoes with caviar and creme fraiche and bite-sized Kobe beef burgers with Gorgonzola and caramelized onions; an antipasto platter that includes smoked salmon on brioche toast cut into the shape of an Oscar statuette and asparagus with prosciutto; little demitasses filled with chilled potato-leek soup with osetra caviar; a double entree of braised beef short ribs and Maine lobster with black truffles in puff pastry; and chocolate Oscars for dessert.
Personally, I think caviar twice on the menu is over-the-top, but that's Wolfie for you.

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2005, 05:50:32 AM »

We'll get the Oscar live telecast from 9:00am to 3:00pm on Monday Tokyo time so I’ll enjoy it with all DRs at the same time, in Japan, too.  :D

Hisaka

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2005, 06:01:31 AM »

Is SARSAPARILLA tasty?   ???
It sounds spicy and bitter.  :o :o :o

Jennifer

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2005, 06:21:23 AM »

DR Jose, the Oscars will be on LIVE on both the east coast and west coast.  So you don't have to worry about spoilers.  I actually would much rather watch the show from 5pm-9pm than from 8-midnight like we will have to do! :(

PennyO

• Ah, if I knew then what I know now...
    • Penny Orloff
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2005, 06:32:26 AM »

Mmmmmmm.... Woods and Brucer, I would LOVE to be dining at YOUR house this evening. Love that boneless leg o' lamb!!!

Mawnin', all. I'm just checking in, then heading off to drum up business for the show... leaving my ad cards all 'round... found a couple of Kosher lounges (yes, Noo Yawk has all sorts of nite-spots, catering to all sorts of clientele...) and gonna hit the folks coming out of the matinees of Jewtopia and Modern Orthodox. Busy little self-promoter... sell those tix!!

Anyhow, have a lovely day, and we'll meet up during the Oscars. (heck, I'm gonna be thinking about leg o' lamb all day... <drool>...)
PennyO

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2005, 07:48:16 AM »

Be careful of the time for Oscar tonight.

Pre-show starts at 8 p.m. EST, but it's only THIRTY minutes long, so the Oscar show itself starts at 8:30 p.m. EST.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2005, 07:49:17 AM »

I really loved THE STATION AGENT when I watched it off STARZ! the other day. A lovely character-driven film with very winning performances.

Matt H.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2005, 07:50:45 AM »

When I was reviewing films and had seen just about everything prior to the Oscars, I was SO wrapped up in who should win and who would win. Now, though I still make predictions and watch the show, I feel disconnected from it all. I really don't care who wins any more.

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2005, 07:52:39 AM »

The Independent Spirit Awards have also been awarded, too. SIDEWAYS won all six of the awards it had been nominated for (similar to the sweep that LOST IN TRANSLATION pulled off last year, and I really disliked that movie intensely).

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2005, 08:01:38 AM »

Good morning, all!  Thank you for all the kind vibes and thoughts yesterday.  DRPennyO was right: it's been 7 months since all this health madness began, and I just want the damned thing put to rest.  I'm sure everything, from the pinched nerve to the crutches to the abscess and the surgery, is all interrelated, and enough is enough.  The fact that the surgery was Oct. 26, four months ago, and one of the areas hasn't healed is bad enough, but the next surgery could mean another 6-12 weeks recovery.

On an interesting sideline here, I recently got in the post an inquiry from my health insurance company asking about my ambulance trip to the emergency room at 4:30 am last August:  was this a work injury, a car accident, something they could start legal proceedings against so as not to pay the claim themselves?  It was with great pleasure that I called the company and informed them that it was the result of a misdiagnosis on the part of my "primary health giver" assigned to me by them.

So, last night, after lying around most of the day to ascertain the bleeding was over, I took Charlote to see THE WEDDING DATE, with Miss Debra Messing and Mr Dermot Mulroney, who once played cello on a recording I did.  His brother Kieran (?) played violin, as I recall.  The movie was innocuous, not remotely great, and I thought one "don't I know you" setup would become part of the exposing of Mr Mulroney's character's male escort past, but it led nowhere.  PRETTY WOMAN, equally fluff fiction, was a better thought out film, but spending time with Charlotte is always rewarding.

DRPogue, I thought TROY was a lot of nonsense, turning a ten year war into about a ten day siege, and I actually liked better the A&E HELEN OF TROY from about 4 years ago, even if there was nothing going on between the characters of Helen and Paris (absolutely no sexual energy) in that version.  So far, my preferred take on the legend is Offenbach's LA BELLE HELENE, but I always loved the Robert Wise HELEN OF TROY as well.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2005, 08:25:04 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 31   Go Up