Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: KUNG PAO  (Read 12032 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:KUNG PAO
« Reply #120 on: October 05, 2004, 09:28:46 PM »

Am I having a frenzy?

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #121 on: October 05, 2004, 09:40:44 PM »

Actually, Panni, I don't know if it's stuffing.  On the MSNBC poll, it will take only one vote from either the computer or the email address (can't remember which). I would suspect CNN and Yahoo have the same technology.  But again what's so amazing is those instant internet polls (in the first debate at least) seem to be reflecting the more scientific polls. I don't think anyone has yet figured out how what impact the internet will play in this and future elections.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: October 05, 2004, 09:45:28 PM »

...and the East Coast Hainsies have the Big Event wednesday. ...
Dear DR Elmore, I realize you mean no harm, but referring to the group you are gathering with on Wednesday as the "East Coast Hainsies" leaves out a great many of us.  You leave out DR Jose, DR Danise, DR Matt, myself and der Brucer, and a number of others of us who are spread out along the coastline.

You might want to refer to yourselves as the "New York City Hainsies" in the future.  (I'd avoid calling yourselves the "New York Hainsies", in case of upstate New Yorkers taking umbrage.)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 09:46:24 PM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Panni

« Reply #123 on: October 05, 2004, 09:45:54 PM »

Dare I say it -- but I'm starting to feel hopeful. If Friday's debate goes well...

I think Edwards' wife is a great asset. She looks like a real person who likes here cheeseburgers -- somebody to whom middle America can relate.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 09:54:15 PM by Panni »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: October 05, 2004, 09:50:41 PM »

Actually, Panni, I don't know if it's stuffing.  On the MSNBC poll, it will take only one vote from either the computer or the email address (can't remember which). I would suspect CNN and Yahoo have the same technology.  But again what's so amazing is those instant internet polls (in the first debate at least) seem to be reflecting the more scientific polls. I don't think anyone has yet figured out how what impact the internet will play in this and future elections.

I haven't tried to verify this, but I wouldn't doubt that the internet polls attempt to prevent repeat voting by use of cookies that get loaded onto your PC.  One could probably vote once, delete one's cookies, and then be able to vote again.  It would be a slow practice to do manually, but with a program this could be done in rapid fire speed.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

« Reply #125 on: October 05, 2004, 09:54:28 PM »

Interestingly enough, I just went back to CNN.COM to find their quick vote on wo won the vice-presidential debate (theirs was the one that had 78% for Edwards) and I can't find it on the site anymore.  Someone not like the result?

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #126 on: October 05, 2004, 09:55:13 PM »

Emily, I will be watching the debate.  Like Dan the Man I have become obssessive about this election.  I think it will determine whether we maintain our form of constitutional government or descend into thirty years of Far Right Wing, Extremist, Repressive, Totalitarian Rule.
Hav'ta love your form of optimism, DR CP.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: October 05, 2004, 10:00:36 PM »

...I think this president is probably the poorest educated, dimmest one we've ever had in our history....
G. W. Bush has an MBA from Harvard.

John Kerry got his batchelors from Yale with a low C average.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #128 on: October 05, 2004, 10:02:53 PM »

Dare I say it -- but I'm starting to feel hopeful. If Friday's debate goes well...
I think Edwards' wife is a great asset. She looks like a real person who likes here cheeseburgers -- somebody to whom middle America can relate.

Tonight, I ran over to Target to pick up a few things.  While I was there I thought I'd look for some Halloween cards.  They had two next to each other that pictured newspaper front pages with bold headlines.  The one said, "DEMOCRATS RETAKE WHITE HOUSE" while the other said, "BUSH RE-ELECTED IN LANDSLIDE".  On the inside, both said, "Be afraid!  Be very afraid!"  While there were a lot of the former left in the rack, there was only one left of the latter.  I think that this indicates that the people have made their choice through their selection of Halloween greeting cards.  The system works!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #129 on: October 05, 2004, 10:12:24 PM »

Edwards' response to the question on gay marriage was as disappointing to me as that of the Vice President.  Maybe more so, because I thought the Democratic Party stood for equal rights.
Edwards' (and Kerry's) attitude towards gay marriage has been known for some time.  HRC, of course, adores them.  Feh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #130 on: October 05, 2004, 10:17:06 PM »

Politics: Can't live with it, can't live with it.

I was happily ensconced in Lelouchland and am now moving on to Michael Mooreland.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #131 on: October 05, 2004, 10:21:28 PM »

I am not even the least bit sleepy tonight.  It's either the debates, or Love Me Tonight or this gooey caramel Hershey's bar I ate earlier.  In any case, I need to go center myself and get to bed.  G'night, y'all!
-- Anaïs Nin

Charles Pogue

« Reply #132 on: October 05, 2004, 10:23:20 PM »

Oh,Woody, trying to defend Bush's intellect is a worse quagmire than Iraq.  Very shaky ground.

I know plenty of remarkably stupid people who came out of Harvard and Yale. Meet them among the studio suits every day. And even they do their job with more elan and attention to detail than the prez.  

A so-called Ivy League education is not a great barometer of intelligence.  The way a man thinks, speaks, processes ideas and his ability to express them is a far greater barometer.  When Bush has writers, he's inarticulate.  When he speaks off-the-cuff, he is incoherent.   I don't really think anyone would confuse Bush with Tom Jefferson.

By the by, am I the only one who noticed his gaffe the other night about consoling the war widow, "I didn't know how to love her".  Sorta like his remark the other week about doctors unable to share their love with their patients.  All very Freudian, ain't it?

(P.S. - Thanks, Woody! Let me know if you find any other errors or typos!)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2004, 11:05:17 PM by Charles Pogue »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #133 on: October 05, 2004, 10:28:33 PM »

We have had a busy day, der Brucer and I.

It began with a call from one of the pet rescue operations.  A woman and her husband, who live a few towns away from us, have a pup they have decided they cannot take care of.  The pup is too feisty and active, and is going to get much larger before she is fully grown.  The problem is, the woman and her hubby don't have a digital camera...

Could der Brucer take some pics, to help advertise said pup on the rescue op's internet site?

So, we headed on down to where the woman and her husband live, and met the pup.  She (the pup, not the woman) is about four months old, and very lively.  And she appears to be part Dalmatian, maybe more than half.

(Anyone see where this is going?)

After taking several pics, we bid the couple and pup farewell, and went northward to take care of several errands and visit with der B's daughter and family.

On our way home, the discussion began.  Yes, Fletcher needs a younger companion, someone he can play with, which the other dogs seem to not want to do.  And this little girl has a wondeful, sparkling personality.

By the time we settled down for dinner, we were discussing names.  Fletcher is a good name...well, a good sirname.  It doesn't roll off the tongue easily, never has, never will.

Der Brucer was suggesting we go with commedia d'ell arte names, since Dals go so well with pointy hats and pantaloons.  I was more into the idea of giving them both the initials "J. B. F."  It's an Angela Lansbury reference, of course.

That said, I proposed re-naming Fletcher with the full name of Joshua Balthezar Fletcher.  And the girl pup would become Jessica.

Jessica Bananas Foster.

(They can't have the same last name, they're not littermates, nowhere close.)

This would follow our habit of naming pairs of dogs with the same first initial.  Marty and Mikey.  Bonnie and Buster.  Josh and Jessie.

Whether this actually happens remains to be seen, of course.

Personally, I think we're absolutly nuts.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #134 on: October 05, 2004, 10:31:34 PM »

Damn, Dan the Man, I think Cronenberg and I should get a cut of every card out there.  While I'm flattered that, "Be Afraid, be afraid" has become part of the popular culture, I wish I had a penny for every time it's used like this.

By the by, speaking of THE FLY, I got an invite to speak at Notre Dame High School after a screening there of The Fly the day before Halloween.

Also, an old acquaintance called tonight.  Didn't think I'd remember him.  I did.   He used to work at my favourite video store, VIDEO JOURNEYS in Silverlake.  Anyway, for the last few years he's been doing the extras on DVDs.  He said that after pestering Fox for years to do The Fly, they agreed.  He wants me to do either an interview or commentary...I can't see doing a commentary since I wasn't around for filming, but I'd love to do an interview.  He's setting it up.  I should know something later this week.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #135 on: October 05, 2004, 10:52:17 PM »

Oh,Woody, trying to defend Bush's intellect is a worst quagmire...
"Is a worst quagmire?"

Shouldn't that be either "Is a worse quagmire" or "Is the worst quagmire"?

::)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #136 on: October 05, 2004, 10:53:57 PM »

Still no word on places in LA that serve Beef Wellington, BK.  Sorry.   :-\

Charles Pogue

« Reply #137 on: October 05, 2004, 11:03:01 PM »

Ah, so we're getting testy are we? I don't proof here like I do in my day job.  I didn't know we were taking off for spelling. It's late, I'm writing fast and I'm slightly dsylexic.  I'll  go back and correct the mispelled word for you.  Thanks for pointing it out.

And, Woody, I have never implied that all Republicans are stupid! I know several smart people...people I like and know...who inexplicably voted for Bush.  I myself have voted Republican in the past...as I've mentioned here before... and in the past have even been a registered Republican.  I am a moderate...I call myself a common centrist. And I think much of the common sense the Republican Party once exhibited, it has lost caving in and pandering to the extremists in its organization. While I don't think all Republicans are stupid, I do think that the party has been co-opted by its most stupid, ignorant, and shrill factions.  It's no longer the party of Lincoln and Roosevelt...or, Hell, even Nixon.  It's become an aberration.

But, really, it's pretty common knowledge Bush is far from the brightest bulb in the pack.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #138 on: October 05, 2004, 11:07:59 PM »

Hmm, seems Woody's rant about us bush-a-phobes disappeared...

Panni

« Reply #139 on: October 05, 2004, 11:12:33 PM »

Darn - I'd love to stick around for the debate! Although I usually hang in until today becomes tomorrow (or yesterday becomes today) -- tonight is different. I'm totally tired and my heart has been beating wildly -- either it's love or I need a good night's sleep. I'll choose the latter.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #140 on: October 05, 2004, 11:31:28 PM »

So has all this political debate talk sent BK to go off and drown himself in the jacuzzi?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #141 on: October 05, 2004, 11:31:56 PM »

Panni, you are a morass of simptoms, endless in their variety or, at the very least, in their hollywood reporter.

I must say I agree with Pogue - let's not sink to the level of correcting grammar and spelling here at haineshisway.com.  I, myself, manage to do soem whoppers - for example, mis-spelling the word some just now.  We can have differing opinions, discuss said differences without resorting to nitpicking posts.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: October 05, 2004, 11:33:48 PM »

Actually, I did an early Jacuzzi.  I've been watching Fahrenheit 9/11 and I must say, much as I have had issues with some of Mr. Moore's other films, the first forty minutes of this film are pretty terrific and pretty horrifying, and pretty factual.  I most likely will have to stay up late and finish it, although it's very long (a bit over two hours).

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #143 on: October 05, 2004, 11:36:21 PM »

Hmm, seems Woody's rant about us bush-a-phobes disappeared...
Yes.  While it felt good to write the rant, I decided that it didn't need to stay posted.

(And shouldn't that be "Bushuuphobes"?   ;))

Charles Pogue

« Reply #144 on: October 05, 2004, 11:36:30 PM »

Long?  Gee, I thought it flew by...and wanted more!  But you'll have fun!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #145 on: October 05, 2004, 11:39:33 PM »

I just find it humorous that, while ranting about someone else's intellect (or lack) Mr. Pogue can commit some interesting gaffes himself.  Timing is everything.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #146 on: October 05, 2004, 11:44:05 PM »

Good Evening!  Good Morning!

I took a walk before dinner, and ended up picking a nice Italian sub at the pizza place down the street in the process.  It was a weird walk, however.  I just found myself walking around for no real reason.  Even when it came to making my dinner choices, I was all over the map.  Everything from having a nice sit-down Thai meal, to a 7-11 taquito special, to not eating at all.

Once I got back to the apartment, I started setting up my keyboard equipment so that I could get some practice in.  I watched the first half hour of the debates, then started going through my keyboard book checking spots here and there while keeping the debates on in the background - or "bg" as DR Panni likes to say.

From what I heard and saw, tonight's debate seemed to be more evenly matched.  However, I, too, got tired of the answers going off into, "but if I may go back to another point" land.

Back the practicing...  I just had to take my time, and "practice out" the frustration and sense of being overwhelmed that I set in motion this morning.  Breathe.  I got some good work done tonight.  There's still one lick - and it's quite easy - that I just can't seem to get the feel for... But I'm sure it will come.

I'm hoping to get a good night's sleep tonight, get some more practice here at the apartment during the day tomorrow, and then head in at 6:30 to practice on the pit keyboard.  *I also realized that my copy of the advance book does not have the patch/sound changes indicated in it.  Most of them occur in breaks, but some of them come one after the other.  -But practicing on the pit keyboard will help get those sounds and the change of sounds in my ear - and I'll be reading off the show charts too.  **The other advance book has the patch changes marked in it - and I happen to know the keyboard player in Charlotte who will be playing the show in a few weeks down there.  Small world.

OK... I must cut myself off now and get to bed.  I'm still feeling a bit "tired", but I think it's just something in the air - literally.  It truly felt like fall today, and when fall comes that means my allergies start to kick in - again.  And from some of the sneezing fits I've been having lately... ugh.

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #147 on: October 05, 2004, 11:45:17 PM »

Hmmmmmmm...at last I can log on to HHW on my Mozilla browser.  Took me awhile to figure out how.

Didn't watch the debates.  Watched a bit of the commentary afterwards on various networks.

Hmmmmmmmmmmm.....I enjoy reading the political posts here - but I don't do them anymore.  Some people get pretty upset if some things are said about certain people.  Whew!  So....it's not worth it.  I will express myself at the ballot box....along with everyone else.  

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #148 on: October 05, 2004, 11:46:11 PM »

In the heat of the moment, spelling goes by the wayside (You should see some of my first drafts)!  But I really am slightly dyslexic, I think.  My brain does not work as fast as my hands on the keyboard...For example, "heat" above came out "hint" before I caught it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #149 on: October 05, 2004, 11:46:49 PM »

I hear you about the allergies DRJOSE!  Mine are starting up as well.

GOOD HOUSE VIBES DRPANNI!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up