Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: QUIETUDE  (Read 23223 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:QUIETUDE
« Reply #120 on: November 11, 2007, 12:22:46 PM »

I'm not a fan of convection ovens.  I like them for baking potatoes, other than that I use the regular oven setting.  People rave about them.  I'm on my third one at this house, and while it is the best one yet I'm not thrilled.  I think it bakes somewhat dry.

What brand are you looking at?  The first Dacor we replaced, cuz it was old and didn't work well,  with the same brand-only new and improved.  It was better but I was still disappointed.  When we remodeled we went with a Wolf & I'm much happier.

We got a convection/microwave which we like.  That gives us the option of a second oven if we need it.  

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #121 on: November 11, 2007, 12:22:47 PM »

Thanks for posting the Sweet Polly Purebred glass, Mike.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #122 on: November 11, 2007, 12:23:58 PM »

Dakota, thanks for mentioning the Sweet Home Alabama clip. I found it on YouTube! It's awesome!

The Red Army Chorus was featured in our film, "The Internationale", and this may have been taped close to the same time. They were in NY, appearing, among other things, on MTV!

MTV would be a very interesting venue for them....
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: November 11, 2007, 12:24:09 PM »

Edi, I've never had a convection oven. Many people do have good things to say about them, but I have no personal experience.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #124 on: November 11, 2007, 12:25:41 PM »

Dakota, thank you.  My wrist is slowly improving, unless I get stupid and do too much with it.  I'm likely looking at two-three more months with the splint.

Sherlock is fine & happy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #125 on: November 11, 2007, 12:42:49 PM »

DotM, are you of the male gender then?  I'm very confused.  

I didn't mean to begin anything negative, I thought a friendly conversation might be nice.  Getting to know each better might make things more friendly.

I am curious about you, and if you are reading our posts you know plenty about us.

still think it means Dark of the Moon!  I also believe that DotM has no intentions of being friendly but is hanging around to irk BK.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:44:27 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #126 on: November 11, 2007, 01:17:26 PM »

Well, here I am back, battered and bruised but alive (an APPLAUSE reference) and here to tell the tale.

Unhooking the various cables was relatively painless. because all of my equipment (except the laserdisc player) can be connected through HDMI, the number of video and audio cables is drastically reduced. So, when I finished, I had this MOUND of video and audio hook-ups. (I could give Radio Shack a run for its money.)

When I unhooked the speaker wires, I was very careful to label everything. The new receiver came with preprinted tabs for the wires which actually came in very handy (see below).

The new receiver weighs almost 40 pounds, so I placed a cushion under the front plate as I tipped it toward me and started reattaching the speaker wires one by one. It went much faster than I expected. I guess having done this for the fourth or fifth time makes this part of the process less a pain than it used to be. I should have known, of course, that it COULDN'T or WOULDN'T be that simple.

When I finished with the speaker wires, I hooked in the two HDMI cables (one in from the HDMI switcher that controls four machines and one out to the TV). I also hooked up the s-video and optical cables from the laserdisc machine. And I was done (I thought).

This receiver has automatic speaker recognition. You plug a supplied mic into a front port, the receiver sends signals through all your speakers so it can adjust sound levels automatically. I had to do this several times as it kept getting hooked up on one speaker and wouldn't for farther. Finally got that done.

I had to tell the receiver which buttons controlled which machines, but that was easy. Then, I started first with the cable TV connection since I use that probably the most. I punched up the DVR to the CSI episode I had watched yet, and the sound came out - Dolby Digital 5.1 just like it was supposed to. I was very pleased.

UP THE DOWN STAIRCASE was still in the upconvering player, so I tried that next. Sounds came through fine, but it's a mono movie, so I thought I'd better check with a DD 5.1 movie. I put in a HARRY POTTER movie, switched it on, and immediately the receiver had a heart attack and turned itself off. (I also had a heart attack at such a startling problem. I thought I had fried the receiver.)

Tried it again, turned itself off again. Went to the manual, and it said to call the user hotline if this happened. I did. The tech guy (very nice) explained that more than likely one of the speaker wires was breaking the circuit, and he recommended that I take out all the speaker wires and rattch them one at a time. Turn it on after each one when in to determine which one might be causing the damage. I did this, but as I was taking them out, I saw a stray piece of wire from the left rear speaker wire touching metal, and I knew this was the culprit. I still redid all of the speaker wires and put them in again one at a time just as he suggested, and I now have a perfectly functioning receiver.

(I did have to go in and manually readjust some of the speaker volume levels. The front speaker wasn't quite loud enough to compete with the surrounds.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #127 on: November 11, 2007, 01:18:55 PM »

Sorry that was so long, and I know it's of little or no interest to most, but I thought it might be helpful for any audiophiles here who try a similar upgrade one day.

Matt H.

« Reply #128 on: November 11, 2007, 01:23:00 PM »

I started the process around 9:45. I finished at 12:30. I am SO happy to have this behind me. I'm sure I'll be tinkering with it over the next few days to learn all the ends and outs, but so far, it's functioned beautifully, and I'm very happy with it.

Matt H.

« Reply #129 on: November 11, 2007, 01:24:59 PM »

I did go back and watch the CSI episode. It's a crossover episode with Jack Malone (Anthony LaPaglia) from WITHOUT A TRACE, and I'm glad I recorded WITHOUT A TRACE, too, because the story did not get wrapped up at all during the CSI episode. The killer and the motivation was revealed, and then he goes on the run when he vanishes WITHOUT A TRACE (clever, eh?)

Not a great episode to be honest.

Matt H.

« Reply #130 on: November 11, 2007, 01:28:55 PM »

Next, I watched the first 90 minutes of EYES WIDE SHUT on Blu-ray. Yes, I picked the unrated version, so nothing was blocked. (The previously blocked stuff was basically just having sex in different positions and pairings, but it isn't as if there were close-ups or anything.)

Two or three scenes showed the benefits of the increased resolution of high def, but since so much of it is shot with diffused lighting and there is moderate grain constantly, high def isn't really much of an advantage with this. I listened to the uncompressed PCM 5.1 track, but since the sound mix is so front heavy, it didn't sound much different from Dolby Digital 5.1.

Matt H.

« Reply #131 on: November 11, 2007, 01:29:51 PM »

I will finish it when I go back down. Then, I'll start on the special features. There are two or three new documentaries on the disc that weren't on the SD-DVD from several years ago. I'll look forward to seeing them.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #132 on: November 11, 2007, 01:36:51 PM »

There are days that having electronic gadgets is a joy and other days they can be exasperating :)

I am glad you get everything resolved.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #133 on: November 11, 2007, 01:37:32 PM »

Yes, I enjoyed the TORCHWOOD episode very much last night.

EVEN though somebody said something WRONG!

OK - I'll bite! What was said that was wrong?

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #134 on: November 11, 2007, 01:39:09 PM »

I started the process around 9:45. I finished at 12:30. I am SO happy to have this behind me. I'm sure I'll be tinkering with it over the next few days to learn all the ends and outs, but so far, it's functioned beautifully, and I'm very happy with it.

What benefits does the new system provide over the replaced one?

der Brucer
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 01:39:43 PM by DERBRUCER »
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #135 on: November 11, 2007, 01:40:17 PM »

However my work adventures for the day (and I have only been here 30 min

A. Sent a student worker home that had pinkeye
B. Other student had to leave due to emergency
C. We are having problems with one of the lights and Facilities management refuses to do anything on the weekend.

..... I am cringing at what the rest of the evening may possibly bring

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #136 on: November 11, 2007, 01:43:08 PM »

So at the moment I am manning the circulation desk alone!

Matt H.

« Reply #137 on: November 11, 2007, 01:55:41 PM »

What benefits does the new system provide over the replaced one?

der Brucer

I thought I had said over the last few days. Anyway, three basic diferences.

1. Being able to plug ONE cable into the receiver to give me the sound and picture for my system clears away a TON of audio and video cables.

2. The receiver upconverts ALL incoming signals (even from the laserdisc) into 1080p which is the native resolution of my HDTV.

3. The new receiver can decode the latest high definition audio signals: Dolby DIgital Plus, Dolby Digital True HD, and DTS-HD, none of which my previous receiver could deliver. I was only listening to the core of the signals without the ability to decode any lossless (uncompressed) audio tracks. It gives the sound a much more open, realitsic sound without all that compression.

Matt H.

« Reply #138 on: November 11, 2007, 01:57:47 PM »

Going to write a bit now, and then I must clean my bathroom and get back to (then) Mr. and Mrs. Cruise in EYES WIDE SHUT.

WBBL.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #139 on: November 11, 2007, 02:31:38 PM »

I am wondering if it would be cheaper for me to by a new tv or try and see if i can get an adapter for my old telly. It was made in 1989..

The picture is a bit wacky when you first turn it on and then it settles down.  I get a huge blurry line in the middle and then it seems to become normal.

td

• td
« Reply #140 on: November 11, 2007, 02:45:58 PM »

still think it means Dark of the Moon!  I also believe that DotM has no intentions of being friendly but is hanging around to irk BK.

Perhaps DotM is a Pink Floyd fan. . .
I'm just sayin'. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #141 on: November 11, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »

Good Afternoon!

I'm back from Radio City Music Hall, where I was treated to and enchanted by the 75th Anniversary Edition of the Radio City Christmas Spectacular.  And, even though this is the 75th year of the RCCS, this was actually my first time seeing it.  -Even though my parents have been coming up to NYC every December for the past couple of years with their friends to see it.

I kind of knew what to expect after reading various stories about it, seeing footage on the TV, talking with friends who have been a part of the show over the years, but this afternoon literally had me smiling from ear to ear right from the moment I walked in RCMH and saw the amazing Christmas Tree Chandelier in the lobby, to when I walked out the strains of the theatre organ playing Christmas carols.  -Although, I'm not sure who the organist was today.

Thank You, DR FJL, for your continued generosity.  I hadn't really planned to kick-off my Christmas Spirit this early in the season, but I'm not complaining either.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #142 on: November 11, 2007, 02:54:10 PM »

DR elmore - FYI - The orchestrators listed in the program are: Danny Troob and Dave Pierce; with additional contributions by Jonathan Tunick, Doug Besterman, and Arthur Harris.

I talked briefly with Ken Lundie who's been playing rehearsals for this year's edition - and many of the ones in recent years - and he doesn't recall your charts being reused.  And after seeing today's show, something tells me you did not orchestrate that funk/R&B version of "The Twelve Days of Christmas".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: November 11, 2007, 02:57:23 PM »

ATTENTION FELLOW MYSPACE MEMBERS-

There's a new round of spamming/commenting/account hacking going on.  In fact, mine might have been "fished", so...  If you happen to have received a comment from me - a video comment - over the past day or two, just delete it.  I did not send it.

I actually received the same "comment" from two of my friends as well as from "myself".  Ah, the "joys" of the internet.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #144 on: November 11, 2007, 02:58:07 PM »

DR Danise - Well, we could still pretend you at the stadium and continue to try to find you in the crowd with your "terrible towel".  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: November 11, 2007, 02:58:21 PM »

You think?  It's happened before (in much the same way, for those who may remember a couple of years ago), and I'm sure it will happen again.  The reasons for karma don't interest - just the supposedly "abhorrent" behavior that supposedly came out of nowhere and was based on nothing.  Sorry, reality doesn't work like that.  In fact, it's surprisingly like the agent involved in this little fracas - when facts were explained, he ignored every single one of them and went on in his single-minded, obnoxious and VERY incorrect way (even after I proved him incorrect to his FACE, he went on as if the proof I sent him didn't matter).  

I see no difference between that and this, frankly.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: November 11, 2007, 02:59:18 PM »

That, and the fact that DotM still comes back, day after day, hour after hour - for what?  So we can talk about him?  It really does remind me of two years ago.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: November 11, 2007, 03:01:17 PM »

Holy cow, you know it is time to wash some dishes when the only glass you have left to drink out of is your Sweet Polly Purebred glass.

So, what you're saying is that you normally save your Sweet Polly Purebred glass for special occasions?
Make Your Own Luck.

FJL

« Reply #148 on: November 11, 2007, 03:05:51 PM »

Jose - Glad you had such a good time at Radio City.  

And thanks for the goodies.  We're eating them little by little, but what we had for dessert with lunch was great!  

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: November 11, 2007, 03:08:13 PM »

Jose - Glad you had such a good time at Radio City.  

And thanks for the goodies.  We're eating them little by little, but what we had for dessert with lunch was great!  

I really, really, did.  In fact, when my parents come up the first week in December to see the show, I think I'm going to go with them. :)

-And You're Welcome.  If I had known you didn't like artichokes, well...  But I'm glad the other goodies were to your liking.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up